It's possible! 0" to SL in 1 year! (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, congrats--great progress.
@Nonie - giraffe necks. :lol: I'll take the bait, what length am I? :giggle:
Note to self, don't start a length thread without military grade body armor. j/k

lol. I posted my BC a few days ago and quickly changed my title of my before pic to "armpit-like". I was afraid of being jumped on for being a cm off. My length shirt also had jacked up lines :lachen: I know almost everyone probably thought I was trying to "cheat".:grin:

OT, but is this chart showing MBL as being where I thought BSL was??
I fasten my bra the same place that bikini string is, so is that MBL??
I need to hike my bra up so I can claim some addtl length!;)

LongLeggedLife, that's why we don't use BSL anymore. Some people wear their bras at their armpits some mid-back. MBL is middle of the back and the back starts from the end of the neck to the tailbone. So halfway there is MBL. Where you wear your bra has no effect on parts of the body which is why we use body parts as those remain constant. If you had a bra with a thick strap, BSL would be higher than if you wore one with a thin strap, so again inconsistency.

Embyra, the entire bottom of OP's hair that is blow dried is touching the base of her neck, not one hair, but the majority of her hair. And that was 2 months ago! So not sure where you're getting the one hair or two.

I can see pics 2-4 that she took today i never said the op had one or two hairs reaching

I stated waist length that is what i was talking about and was a example of when i think people are reaching with their claims which is why i stated claim whatever you want to claim doesn't mean im going to agree

Im so over his topic you and everyone else can post the pics and go into detail of why im wrong and why your right the op is indeed shoulder length yes claim that and enjoy it

no need for any more mentions

I can see pics 2-4 that she took today i never said the op had one or two hairs reaching

I stated waist length that is what i was talking about and was a example of when i think people are reaching with their claims which is why i stated claim whatever you want to claim doesn't mean im going to agree

Im so over his topic you and everyone else can post the pics and go into detail of why im wrong and why your right the op is indeed shoulder length yes claim that and enjoy it

no need for any more mentions

Embyra, you and I see the same thing. Many including the OP are never going to agree. It is perfectly ok. OP's hair to me is my hair 4 months post BC. She made GREAT progress. I just wanted her to be realistic. No graphics are going to change my mind. I saw the pictures right and to me they do not say shoulder. I figured the point of LHCF was to get honest help and honest opinions and not to be told what I wanted to hear. From jump OP took offence to what I said. I'm not hating nor taking anything away from op. I just don't agree and will never be convinced and there are many other members here who will not be either. However I'm going to let OP be great. Congrats on your SL hair.

Charla congrats on your beautiful SL hair! I understood what you meant. A good quote I recently read stated "NEVER EXPLAIN, your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway!"

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

:yawn: back atcha. Has every bloody person lost their sense of humor today?

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor, I just didn't want to hijack the thread any further. It's obviously a little too late for that, so since you insist, I claim Hip Length! My hair is curled in my siggie, so you can't see it. Don't make me break out a diagram :look:

Back on topic.... Charla I think you are indeed grazing shoulder length :yep: Awesome growth for just a year! Have you flat ironed your hair since your BC? If not, when do you plan to flat iron for the first time? The 1st flat iron is always fun & it makes it easier to clearly see your growth. And of course there's the swang! Yaaass! I love a good hair swang after a flat iron! *day dreams about my next flat iron in February* :lol:

Sent from my iPhone.

Well OP, it looks like the majority view you as sl. I view you as sl because I was always taught that the shoulder started where your neck ended. Since that is the general concensus, hair board or not, I am not about to reinvent the wheel. Unstraightened you can stretch your hair past shoulder so we all know longer length can actually be claimed after straightening. If we were to use the term "resting" for natural hair, then people like Mdwezi could only claim full shoulder length which we all know is absurd.

Majority of us do not have a bowl cut so we cannot always go by sides, top and back. If my hair is layered to rest on my shoulders yet the back of my hair reaches past midback, am I only allowed to claim sl?

Since these length checks are so subjective, I am going to exercise my right to post my opinion which supports op. I see hair when stretched goes past the technical start of shoulder. Congrats OP on reaching a healthy SL and I pray for many more healthy inches for you in the future :)

Thanks for such kind words and encouragement and support! I'm looking forward to APL since I've never had hair that long!

SmileyNY I'm planning my first flatiron in Dec.

Then why didn't she post a picture of Today? October 21st? That way people won't be so confused. How are people salty and bitter for congratulating her and telling her a lil bit more and you'll be shoulder length. Damn! Some of ya'll are too damn dramatic.

:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

This probably isn't the right thread but.. I'm confused (kinda) let's say if my hair in the front is a bit past my chin, the back reaches the collarbone, and the sides are where the bottom of neck ends(start of shoulder). What length would that be since all ends are not the same?

To the OP: nice growth! It looks like what your claiming to me...

No wonder why I don't come to the particular forum too often. Ain't no enemies up in this thread. Just posters that do not agree, me being one of them. I have more months post-BC than the OP and I STILL am NOT claiming SL/APL. How can the middle of your hair be 2.5" and be claiming that? This thread reminds me of shopping at Victoria's Secrets? Too much damn vanity sizing. In this case vanity-length claiming.

To be sl,. From the front your hair should rest here (see pic below) and then from the back it should rest past your neck and touch the back to be SL, right???

diagram-shoulder-breadth.png

^^^^Isn't that the shoulder? And isn't OP's hair touching that???

I'm confused. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
No wonder why I don't come to the particular forum too often. Ain't no enemies up in this thread. Just posters that do not agree, me being one of them. I have more months post-BC than the OP and I STILL am NOT claiming SL/APL. How can the middle of your hair be 2.5" and be claiming that? This thread reminds me of shopping at Victoria's Secrets? Too much damn vanity sizing. In this case vanity-length claiming.

Erruh, how are you not shoulder yet? You have to be Lucie. There ain't no way you aren't.

OP, I just wanted to add that I think you're doing wonderful job!!! I was just asking in another thread if it's possible to go from BC to SL in one year and you prove that it is very possible.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

I believe she said 2.5 in above her fro. But you're right. We will not all agree and I don't think any of you who don't agree with Charla are being mean at all. I don't think you're hatin' either. It's just that no one who has disagreed has been able to give us a clear explanation of their view of SL. If it has to lay on your shoulders unstreatched, I'm afraid that no fro will ever be able to claim WL and then I'll be forced to play the race card on you. :lol:

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor, I just didn't want to hijack the thread any further. It's obviously a little too late for that, so since you insist, I claim Hip Length! My hair is curled in my siggie, so you can't see it. Don't make me break out a diagram :look:

Sent from my iPhone.

Oh boy! Smileny, I wasn't asking you to derail or even respond. I expected you to realize I asked the question as a joke that didn't even need any response. My adding "J/K" = just kidding was my way of saying, "I'm only pulling your leg" (in other words, don't even take me seriously and respond). Your response implied you didn't take it as a joke, hence my wondering what's with the humor around these parts.

If someone said to me, "Just kiddin'!" I'd know immediately that I'm to disregard what they said because they didn't mean for me to take it seriously. :look:

Charla, maybe you shoulda just measured your hair and given a number. Oh but no, that'd not be enough. You'd have to show us with a tape measure coz people be fronting. :look: I've seen an inch be called 2 inches so yeah, give us the number, show us the stretche hair against a ruler, then show us a close of the calibration so we can see for ourselves. Forget that chart coz it only is accurate for blunt cuts.

To be sl,. From the front your hair should rest here (see pic below) and then from the back it should rest past your neck and touch the back to be SL, right???

diagram-shoulder-breadth.png

^^^^Isn't that the shoulder? And isn't OP's hair touching that???

I'm confused. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Ladybelle, that line represents what LHCF calls CBL or Full SL.

IMO any where from the point where the neck ends to line you drew is called SHOULDER so hair that passes the neck up to that line is at SL. At that line, it's at the max length that SL can be, hence the term Full SL. At Full SL it is touching the Collarbone hence it is also at CBL.

And to answer your question in bold, yes, OP's nape hair is long enough to fall to that level.

I believe she said 2.5 in above her fro. But you're right. We will not all agree and I don't think any of you who don't agree with @Charla are being mean at all. I don't think you're hatin' either. It's just that no one who has disagreed has been able to give us a clear explanation of their view of SL. If it has to lay on your shoulders unstreatched, I'm afraid that no fro will ever be able to claim WL and then I'll be forced to play the race card on you. :lol:

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

SL is sitting on the left and right shoulder blades. There's no neck involved in SL. This is why I do not claim SL. Last night I told Tamrin that a girl in my HS had SL hair. She was a 2c/3a. She had a blow out done and she was PAST WAIST-LENGTH. We were floored at how much shrinkage she had.

I don't think afro-textured hair will ever accurately showcase true length without being straightened or stretched. However, more or less, we can still determine what length they are. I did twists last night. My longest twist is about a foot long. When I finished twisting they shriveled to 5". :lol:

I can't wait to have SL - BSL twists. That's my own personal goal. :yep:

Erruh, how are you not shoulder yet? You have to be Lucie. There ain't no way you aren't.

I have no way of knowing as I don't foresee straightening my hair any time soon. :lol: It'll be almost 2 years post-BC and I still have not checked my length yet. :spinning:

NonSkeletalHairGrowthChart-vi.jpg

My question has nothing to do w/ op. Just curious. How is the first line indicative of where sl starts?? Your shoulders are not attached to your neck like that. I believe that shoulder length is the 2nd line. What am i missing?

@Ladybelle, that line represents what LHCF calls CBL or Full SL.

IMO any where from the point where the neck ends to line you drew is called SHOULDER so hair that passes the neck up to that line is at SL. At that line, it's at the max length that SL can be, hence the term Full SL. At Full SL it is touching the Collarbone hence it is also at CBL.

And to answer your question in bold, yes, OP's nape hair is long enough to fall to that level.

Thanks Nonie!! I did not know it was that technical around here, but obviously it is. So, if I'm understanding it correctly, OP is SL but not full SL yet? And some are arguing that she's not SL because her hair isn't touching the line?

Not that my opinion makes the difference but her hair is touching her shoulder so that would be SL.

Lucie from your siggy,your hair looks amazing and very lush. I think if you did a stretch test you'll be pleasently surprised :yep:

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

I have no way of knowing as I don't foresee straightening my hair any time soon. :lol: It'll be almost 2 years post-BC and I still have not checked my length yet. :spinning:

*loudly whispers to Lucie* pppssssssttt!!!! you know you are likely pushing apl, right? :look: All that thickness, ain't no way :yep:

But, then again - if we are going by actual human anatomy then what @Lucie said would be accurate, because the actual shoulder blades are at the top of our backs a few inches below our necks. And the collarbone is the pic I showed up thread. Although a lot of people call those the shoulders, they aren't - that's if we are going by the human body diagram (see below.)

Humanskel_bw.GIF

BS000C.jpg

Another diagram, so if we are going by the actual correct human anatomy, the OP isn't SL, she's collarbone/clavicle length. Because although her hair is past her neck, it isn't touching her shoulders/scapula???

Very,very interesting & now I know. So, if we are being technical - I have to recant my original opinion. In spite of OP's absolutely gorgeous progress and hair growth, she isn't SL yet. She's CL.

Last edited:

Lucie, you ask that question because you forget that we're using a chart that was made for white people and people with relaxed hair that hangs who expect to have their hair falling to a point. They cut the hair at the perimeter way shorter than the at the crown so that the hair at the point at which the hair at the crown falls to is the same one that the hair at the perimeter falls to. For someone like me, a natural 4B, to have that, I'd have to be sporting a hi-top or Don King do when wearing an afro since the sides would have to be shorter than the crown so that when I straighten, the crown can reach the same spot that the perimeter reaches.

But that isn't the case. Many people have hair all the same length so that it'd fall as if it were cut in layers. So to say that we have to wait till the crown reaches the shoulders to claim shoulders, is to creat a new rule because by the time that happens, the back will be approaching MBL for shorties like me. And if I were to brush all my hair back, my hair'd be reaching MBL (if I use that chart) and if I am not allowed to use that chart, then y'all have to come up with something else besides giving strand measurement.

I was teasing SmileyNY asking what length she claims just to be funny because unless you're going for a blunt cut, you will have hair falling at different levels. Her front/sides fall to APL but her back is past BSB.

Since someone decided long ago that we'd determine length by looking at where hair falls when viewed from the back, then we have no choice but to accept that--and for most people, that'll be where the hair that is lowest on their head falls. All this concern about where the crown falls would only apply if we were all going for the look of the tranny/mannequin I posted.

In fact, where the nape hair falls IMO seems to be a fair way to assess length because it will be a uniform criterion for all no matter what the rest of the hair does. If your nape hair is at SL today, and at APL tomorrow, you've made progress. The chart isn't supposed to be a determinant of who wins a prize so that we have to be so nitpicky about every strand. The chart is supposed to help us gauge our progress. OP was at a neck length away from shoulder some months ago. Then her hair grew long and that back finally made it to shoulder. She didn't start off talking about her crown and then suddenly switch up and point to nape. It's the same point she's been monitoring, so for the sake of tracking progress, can we just keep an eye on what the nape is doing? Of course you have every right to call YOUR length what you want. Before I got to APL I had a few strands touching it and people felt I should call it. I didn't, so I didn't. (No I didn't stammer :lol: )

But, then again - if we are going by actual human anatomy then what @Lucie said would be accurate, because the actual shoulder blades are at the top of our backs a few inches below our necks. And the collarbone is the pic I showed up thread. Although a lot of people call those the shoulders, they aren't - that's if we are going by the human body diagram (see below.)

Humanskel_bw.GIF

BS000C.jpg

Another diagram, so if we are going by the actual correct human anatomy, the OP isn't SL, she's collarbone/clavicle length. Because although her hair is past her neck, it isn't touching her shoulders/scapula???

Very,very interesting & now I know. So, if we are being technical - I have to recant my original opinion. In spite of OP's absolutely gorgeous progress and hair growth, she isn't SL yet. She's CL.

@Ladybelle, and this is what makes English interesting. Shoulder blades are not at the top of our backs but they are about halfway between MBL and shoulders. They are nowhere near shoulders. Similarly hipbones are close to the waist and nowhere near hips. The bone names have nothing to do with the parts of the body they are named after. Just like collarbone is not up near the neck where a collar sits.

So the names given to the bones of the human skeleton have nothing to do with the names given to the parts of the human body aka the skeleton when dressed with flesh and skin.

These diagrams were for different discussions but show you what I was talking about.

The shoulder blade is that traingular bone that sticks out in the back, which is why BSB means below shoulder blade:
untitled-vi.jpg

And this shows the hips and hipbone:
Truehipsvshipbone-vi.jpg

Last edited:
@Ladybelle, and this is what makes English interesting. Shoulder blades are not at the top of our backs but they are about halfway between MBL and shoulders. They are nowhere near shoulders. Similarly hipbones are close to the waist and nowhere near hips. The bone names have nothing to do with the parts of the body they are named after. Just like collarbone is not up near the neck where a collar sits.

So the names given to the bones of the human skeleton have nothing to do with the names given to the parts of it when dressed with flesh and skin.

I'm still confused then.How does the location of the bones change? When they are covered in skin, aren't they still the same bone? Even if we call it something different, that doesn't make it accurate does it? What people often call shoulders aren't technically the shoulders, it's the collarbone, right? And, I promise I'm not trying to be smart or sarcastic, I genuinely want to know just for my own personal knowledge base.

ETA:NEVERMIND! I see now. Nonie, thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back