It's possible! 0" to SL in 1 year! (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm... How u figure? Now I'm confused because if you hair can touch your actual shoulder, it can also touch you arm pit. In that case, there's no difference btw the two.

To each her own, but according to the charts, that's SL. :ohwell:

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

JeterCrazed, I don't know about the bold or did you mean to say collarbone? The distance between shoulder and armpit for most people is rather large so I'm guessing that's a typo?

But Charla is at SL. On LHCF we do go by where the nape false. Some people who have a blunt cut and whose hair hangs down may call it shoulder only when even the hair on the sides reaches shoulders but for us LHCFers, the back will have made it further down the back by then so we'd go with that. That is unless we keep cutting the back to have all hair fall to the same length.

Congrats Charla. I too measured my one year growth starting from 1 inch of new growth and then checking a year later and I had 5-6 inches of natural hair. So I got what you were talking about.

Charla, what are your protective styles? Some of us act like being asked to PS is being asked to each spinach when you're 4 and prefer ice cream. :lol: (Yeah, I'm talmbout myself. Plus I give the excuse that if I had Mwedzi's hair, I'd be PSing coz it's long and easy to do. :hide: ) So do you mean you low mani or are you keeping ends completely hidden, and if so what styles do you rock?

After SL then PS becomes essential if you really want to reach goals fast (clearly I'm on a stroll myself :lol: ) so if you already have some you like, then you will probably have the same steady progress from now on.

So yeah, do tell your PSing methods.

TIA

Nonie Thx! I truly hardcore protect my hair! I might wear my natural hair out 1x in a month! All this time I've been using half wigs, and I don't even leave hair out in the front. I tuck it all in and use a stretchy headband to cover the wig line. After I moisturize and seal my entire strand, I go back and do one more layer of castor oil on my ends, very gently twirl them and tuck them away in my satin bonnet. Oh, and I wear a satin bonnet under my wigs, not wig caps.

This month I ventured into cornrows and even with these cornrows, I hardcore protected my strands by spraying my hair daily with a mix of African Pride braid spray, Infusium 23, avj, water, castor and evco. After that soaked in for about 30 mins, I went back over the entire length of each cornrow with a small applicator tip bottle of 50/50 evco and castor and then for good measure, I coated the ends (where my natural hair ended) of each cornrow with a light shield of Vaseline. (The castor/evco sealing and vaseline was done 1x weekly, not every day.)

As a result of all that when I took my braids down, they were super soft, supple and mosturized! I had never achieved that before in all my years of wearing braids! They always turned out dry and brittle when I took them down, so all that extra work was sooo worth it!

All this paid off, so I'm going to continue as I head to my next milestone!

Ummm... How u figure? Now I'm confused because if you hair can touch your actual shoulder, it can also touch you arm pit. In that case, there's no difference btw the two.

To each her own, but according to the charts, that's SL. :ohwell:

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

thx, JeterCrazed, prolly meant collarbone. Appreciate it, lady!

I am confused. I see progress but I don't even consider myself SL. And I BCed to about 1/4". Granted, we BCed at two different dates. I do consider myself a fast grower.

Can someone tell me what SL is and is not. TIA.

I am confused. I see progress but I don't even consider myself SL. And I BCed to about 1/4". Granted, we BCed at two different dates. I do consider myself a fast grower.

I guess I'm confused. Shoulder means shoulder to me. I guess I understand different.

This is me at 1 year 4 months. I don't consider this shoulder and its twisted unstretched. I guess I have a different definition. When I touch my shoulders I will claim it. Until then I nape length.

But hey I'm not trying to rain your progress.

Attachments

• IMG04543201110201021-vi.jpg
    IMG04543201110201021-vi.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
I guess I'm confused. Shoulder means shoulder to me. I guess I understand different.

This me at 1 year 4 months. I don't consider this shoulder and its twisted unstretched. I guess have a different definition. When I touch my shoulders I will claim it. Until then I nape length.

What is the stretched length?

Based on the chart she is SL and very close if not already there Full SL or CBL. SL starts where the neck meets the shoulder.

So girl you are free to celebrate your new length per the chart.

NonSkeletalHairGrowthChart-vi.jpg

:giggle: @Lucie, it depends on who you ask. On LHCF, when people show where their hair reaches, they usually will straighten it and stand with their back to you and all the hair brushed back so you can see it from the back. You do not see where the ends of the hair in the front stop because they blend into the rest of the hair. What you do see is where the hair in the back falls. And that is what we use to call a length.

Sometimes people will stretch the hair if natural at the nape to simulate how long it might be if straightened, and if it reaches bra, they call it BSL, never mind where the hair on the sides stops or that on the crowns reaches. So as long as I've been on LHCF, where the hair in the back reaches is what people go by.

So SL starts from the point NL ends up to the point there your hair is touching CBL. Most people will not call a length when just a few strands can be stretched to it, but rather will wait to do so when many can reach it and especially if the hair passes slightly so there's no chance of a head tilt being the cause for inaccurate results (or do we now call it the Lean-Back Phenomenon).

So if you look at the image below, shoulders slant from the point they join your neck to where your arms are attached, which is around CBL level. So many of us agree that you are at SL from the point you leave NL (see line where that ends and SL starts) and will still be at SL when you are CBL, only we call CBL Full SL.
NonSkeletalHairGrowthChart-vi.jpg

In other parts of the world outside of LHCF, SL is when your hair falls on the shoulders easily as shown in these images.

When Charla turned her head, she was making use of the fact that we usually stretch hair downward (vertically) to see where it falls. Since the collarbone is in front, if she pulled her hair forward, she'd be getting an inaccurate "read", as I tried to show with this image:
LengthCheck1-vi.jpg

By turning her head to the side, she's able to pull her hair straight down just like she can do in the back. To help show this, consider the person in the image to the left below to have his body facing us, but he turns head to the side. Notice by pulling hair straight down in the front with head turned, it falls to the same level it would if he had is side to us and was facing forward were pulling it straight down in the back. (Image to the right).
LengthCheck2-vi.jpg

Last edited:
:giggle: @Lucie, it depends on who you ask. On LHCF, when people show where their hair reaches, they usually will straighten it and stand with their back to you and all the hair brushed back so you can see it from the back. You do not see where the ends of the hair in the front stop because they blend into the rest of the hair. What you do see is where the hair in the back falls. And that is what we use to call a length.

Nonie, If I had known you were going to post I wouldn't have bothered :ohwell: :lol:. What took you so long? :lol:

Last edited:
@[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=1333" said:
Nonie[/URL];14472883]Y'all are foo-els! :lachen:

We need to make your post a sticky so I don't have to go hunting for that thing every time. shoot :look:

ETA: That weren't paying attention to my post. They wanted that professor Nonie post.

Last edited:
OT: I'm not going to lie though when I measure for APL I will be pulling the hair to the front. People will have to just call me out. Cuz my arms aren't bendy and don't rinch around my back like that. And my mirror shots always have that big light burst in the middle. So just sayin.

sorry for going OT in your thread OP

This is me at 1 year 4 months. I don't consider this shoulder and its twisted unstretched. I guess I have a different definition. When I touch my shoulders I will claim it. Until then I nape length.

:yep::yep:

OT: I'm not going to lie though when I measure for APL I will be pulling the hair to the front. People will have to just call me out. Cuz my arms aren't bendy and don't rinch around my back like that. And my mirror shots always have that big light burst in the middle. So just sayin.

sorry for going OT in your thread OP

faithVA, there's no one who'll have a problem with you pulling hair to the front especially because you'll be the one getting cheated out of it unless you turn your head. :giggle:

If you don't turn your head to the side when you pull in front, your hair will actually appear shorter than it really is (based on this diagram):

LengthCheck1-vi.jpg

Those two strands are exactly the same length. a appears to be approaching APL while b is just at collarbone or so. The only way you will be able to get an accurate measurment (LHCF standards) is to turn your head so that you bring the edge of you nape forward so you can pull it down like B. Then you'll see APL.

When I claimed APL, that's what I did. But just so I could be sure I was at APL I did it in an angle too (which really would give a shorter length). Had I done it straight down, it'd be a touch past APL, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. (Pic)

I GUESS I'm collar bone ( not claiming nothing just guessing) lesedi. Honestly I do not follow charts. I take the length literally. Not "around", "near" and "touching". I take things literally.

I GUESS I'm collar bone ( not claiming nothing just guessing) @lesedi. Honestly I do not follow charts. I take the length literally. Not "around", "near" and "touching". I take things literally.

Tamrin, was that your photo you attached with the plaits? And are you talking about the hair when straightened or in its curly state? Also do you determined a length on hair that all falls to the same length or if hair is all the same length (not longer at the crown) is it when the perimeter reaches that part?

For many people, their hair doesn't fall to the same length but every strand is the same length as the next, so there will never be a time when all the hair falls to one level, the perimeter will always reach further down the body than the crown. So how do YOU determine what's what? And for someoen who's hair shrinks up to a compact mass, how would you determine their length literally? Is it when hair is straight, and which part would you look at to decide?

Like how would you literally call this length?
pic_of_long_curly_hair.jpg

Yep Nonie and everyone, I measure from the back. Mainly because my hair grows in layers of different lengths. In my lower pic, the back was CBL/start of SL length after nine months of being natural in 2009 (that was my first time going natural and I started with about an inch of new growth). In this pic it was also a little frizzy on the ends so about a 1/2 inch of shrinkage. About two to three months after that I was a full SL according to your chart Nonie. That's why I thanked you before for that chart!!! My sides were neck length.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread OP, I just feel you that's all.

Anyway, from the looks of it with all that thick hair OP I'll bet if you straightened it back it back in August it would have definitely been a little past SL then too.

Attachments

• Nine Month Natural Hair Growth Progress in 2009.jpg
    Nine Month Natural Hair Growth Progress in 2009.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
And for someoen who's hair shrinks up to a compact mass, how would you determine their length literally? Is it when hair is straight, and which part would you look at to decide?

Exactly this. Using the "literal" definition, I might as well ask for my $6.50 back b/c my 4b hair still shrinks back up to a TWA, even at almost APL. Girl bye.

Charla - congrats girlie on reaching SL! Now brush your hair off ya shoulders (or pin it up, as it were :lol:) and scoot on down to the APL challenge :grin:

Exactly this. Using the "literal" definition, I might as well ask for my $6.50 back b/c my 4b hair still shrinks back up to a TWA, even at almost APL. Girl bye.

Charla - congrats girlie on reaching SL! Now brush your hair off ya shoulders (or pin it up, as it were :lol:) and scoot on down to the APL challenge :grin:

bride91501 Thanks! You were my first hair inspiration when I joined this forum, and with all the info I learned from about simplicity in reggies and PS'ng I made sure to listen and do! And now I'm here and on the road to APL! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back