If your dying loved one asked you to...

Would you cut your hair at the request of a dying loved one?

• No! I know it is just hair, but that is not something I would do.

Votes: 105 34.5%
  • Yes, without any hesitation.

Votes: 134 44.1%
  • Maybe, I would have to give it some serious thought.

Votes: 65 21.4%

• Total voters
this is something i'd do out of the kindness of my heart, not because it was asked of me.

but the only person i'd even consider doing it for is my mom and she begs me to never shave my head again so i know she wouldn't ask.:lol:

ITA!! my mom almost cried when i cut all my hair off!! the only request my mom would make is make me some granbabies before i die.

That's beautiful thing your friend did. I would so do that for someone especially if they've always liked my hair.

ABSOLUTELY. In fact, this is the very reason why I feel some kinda way about this hair obsession of mine.

Last year when I was hospitalized for four months during my pregnancy with my daughter, I became really close with the lady that cleaned my room. One day she was moving really slow, and just seemed "off". I said "what's wrong, Auntie? Hurry up and sit down! Judge Judy's on, and I saved you half of this sub."

But out of nowhere, she just started throwing up EVERYWHERE. So I jumped up and got wet paper towels and was putting them on her forehead, and she said "I'm dying". I'm like "I see!" And she said "no, baby. I'm really dying. I have cancer."

I sat there STUNNED, listening as she told me how she goes to chemo every day before coming to work, and that her husband has brain cancer, but he's worse off than she is, so she continues to work so they can EAT. :nono:

You just never know what people are dealing with. She came in there with a smile on her face every single day. I sat there crying, while SHE was consoling ME. :nono:

It still haunts me to this day, and put things into perspective for me like you wouldn't believe. :nono:

ABSOLUTELY. In fact, this is the very reason why I feel some kinda way about this hair obsession of mine.

Last year when I was hospitalized for four months during my pregnancy with my daughter, I became really close with the lady that cleaned my room. One day she was moving really slow, and just seemed "off". I said "what's wrong, Auntie? Hurry up and sit down! Judge Judy's on, and I saved you half of this sub."

But out of nowhere, she just started throwing up EVERYWHERE. So I jumped up and got wet paper towels and was putting them on her forehead, and she said "I'm dying". I'm like "I see!" And she said "no, baby. I'm really dying. I have cancer."

I sat there STUNNED, listening as she told me how she goes to chemo every day before coming to work, and that her husband has brain cancer, but he's worse off than she is, so she continues to work so they can EAT. :nono:

You just never know what people are dealing with. She came in there with a smile on her face every single day. I sat there crying, while SHE was consoling ME. :nono:

It still haunts me to this day, and put things into perspective for me like you wouldn't believe. :nono:

All I can say is wow...god bless.

I don't mind doing it. I plan on growing my hair to waistlength or hip length and then donating it to locks of love anyway :) I wouldn't shave my head, though.

They would reject me because my hair is not long enough.:ohwell: I actually would do it. Heck, I've BCD more times than I can remember. One more time won't hurt.:rolleyes:

I have been bald before by choice, I also have a dad who passed away from cancer and a sister who passed away 2 years ago from breast cancer, I'd purchase them a lace front with some really nice thick hair.

My dad loved long hair and would :kick: me if he was alive for cutting it off, and my sister wouldn't wear hers out until it was about 1 inch long. I miss both dearly :(

i would definetly do it if a very close loved one asked, and i think i would also do it to support them if they had to cut all their hair off for chemo aswell

Every since i discovered that it was even an option of donating hair to make wigs for cancer or sick patients, i knew i would do this if the scenario presented itself to me. i really had thought about it in the past, and yes, i would donate my hair for a close friend, family or even just because (at least once). no hesitation.

i know some girls who do this every other year and donate their hair to charities (locks of love), if my hair grew fast and healthy like that, I know me... i would be one of them girls doing big-chops every two years.

Let's see, chopping off my hair, or saying "No" to a loved one facing DEATH. Someone who may never have the opportunity to ask anything of me ever again.

Honestly I don't think it'd even matter WHY the person was asking me to do it, but as much as I want to grow my hair and see it reach lengths it has never been before, I just couldn't imagine turning down a loved one's dying request. If the wig was made for them, I think I'd take solace in the fact that a part of me would always remain with them; that when they looked in the mirror, even as they were met with their own gaunt face and sickly form, MY hair sat proudly upon their head, and maybe, just maybe that brought as smile to their face.

And if it wasn't for them, I'd still do it! Let them look upon my shining head and KNOW that my love for them far surpassed that of the dead strands of keratin that grow from my scalp.

Last edited:
I had this great, sympathetic, nice girl answer for yes, but then I need to be honest.

I hope to get married in the next few years and I need some hair for my photos.

Besides if they are a loved one, then they won't mind if I said no. I would offer to do something else.

Last edited:
I saw something similar to this on Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta. When the woman went through chemo and started losing her hair, they all cut their hair short....

I'd do it...to show support. The hesitation that I honestly feel about doing it shows why it could have such a great impact to someone who is losing what I treasure...It's the "little" things.

If my mommy or little sister were diagnosed with cancer, I would shave my head as bald as the full moon to support them and wouldn't think twice about it. To deny that request would be a stain on my karma that I would have to live with for the rest of my life :nono:.

I have an American Indian friend who had one of the most beautiful heads of hip/ tailbone length hair I have ever seen (both in real life and on here), which she never cut until hair grandmother died. She went away for a few days and came back with chin length hair. It was a sign of mourning to cut one's hair with the lost of a love one. Like another poster said, if I lost a loved one my hair would be the last of my concerns.

Not knocking anyone, but some of these answers are a little melodramatic. I'm sure a bunch of you guys have had loved ones in the hospital. You know that you give a lot of yourself - time, money, emotions. You literally spend days, months, even years sitting by their side and caring for them. Why would I give up my hair to show my love? It doesn't make any sense to me. Most likely, I've already showed my love through my actions over time. If I lost all my hair to chemo, I actually wouldn't want anyone to cut their hair off for me. That would make me even sadder. Kind of like "misery loves company." Now, if someone chose to that for me, then okay....but I would never ask.

I saw that episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" where all the friends cut their hair off. 1. I noticed that not all of them had short hair, so not all of them cut it and, 2. I wondered if the ladies who cut their hair already had short cut styles.

I think dying requests are kind of creepy...people trying to control things from beyond the grave.

I'd do it

This made me think of the Say Yes to Dress Atlanta episode when a bride came in with her friends, they all did that for her. When my s/o's grandmother was dying of cancer, all of his aunts and mother either wore really short wigs or their hair all slicked back in a ponytail and made a little bun in the back

Back