How many broken hairs do you get from detangling/combing/styling during wash day

How many borken hairs during wash/styling/detangling day

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fluffylocks

After you shampoo and conditon your hair, how many broken hairs do you notice from combing/detangling, rollersetting, blowdrying, flatironing, twisting, braiding--generally just bothering your hair ect.

Once a week or on my wash day, after detangling, drying, styling, and bothering my hair, i probally get 0-3 broken hairs
depends on how ruff i get on mistake
maybe a ruff fingernailnail may snag a hair, or a comb

Last edited:
I usually see between 5-10 stray hairs. I am happy most of the stray hairs are sheddings.:yep: Atleast I know I am doing something right.

This is a good thread!

My vote went to "I don't count". I'm not obsessive about counting the breaking or normal shedding (it's normal for a healthy woman to lose up to 100 hairs per day by the way). I don't lose much hair when washing or daily normally. I will pay attention if I notice more hair than usual in the sink or in my brush or comb. For me that signals that my hair needs an uptake in moisture. However, I do not count everyday broken hairs. I just keep an eye out for any significant changes. That's all.

I go through periods where I have a lot of shedding. It's usually seasonal but it just fills right back in. Remember for every hair that you lose normally from the root--each day--another hair takes it's place. I'm talking about the normal 100 hairs per day shedding.

I don't count either, but I voted between 11-20. Just a guess. I always loose hair.:sad: But, it's gotten to be less and less since I joined the forum. I think because I'm natural 4aFi and my strands are longer there appears to be more hair in the comb than there probably is....:perplexed

I usually see between 5-10 stray hairs. I am happy most of the stray hairs are sheddings.:yep: Atleast I know I am doing something right.

This is a good thread!

Thanks for answering and saying this is a good thread!----you must be doing a great job and being very gentle, how many of the 5-10 are breakage and not sheddings?

I just feel terrible everytime i get breakage, its only on wash days when im detangling/styling and always under 3 peices of hair, but i was wondering can i really grow hair past collarbone length with breakage---because i just know strands are getting shorter when i see that, im thinking how much breakge does all of these ladies with long hair get----

so hopefully more people will answer and we can have a general idea of what is the average breakage rate from a washing session and we wont feel bad

My vote went to "I don't count". I'm not obsessive about counting the breaking or normal shedding (it's normal for a healthy woman to lose up to 100 hairs per day by the way). I don't lose much hair when washing or daily normally. I will pay attention if I notice more hair than usual in the sink or in my brush or comb. For me that signals that my hair needs an uptake in moisture. However, I do not count everyday broken hairs. I just keep an eye out for any significant changes. That's all.

I go through periods where I have a lot of shedding. It's usually seasonal but it just fills right back in. Remember for every hair that you lose normally from the root--each day--another hair takes it's place. I'm talking about the normal 100 hairs per day shedding.

Oh yes, great reminders
But i wasnt talking about shedding
Just breakage....breakage concerns me, so i was wondering how much breakage you ladies with long hair encounter so we can get a feel for what is normal breakge
Im wondering if some people just get absoulutly NO breakge

Oh yes, great reminders
But i wasnt talking about shedding
Just breakage....breakage concerns me, so i was wondering how much breakage you ladies with long hair encounter so we can get a feel for what is normal breakge
Im wondering if some people just get absoulutly NO breakge

OIC--- you know some people get shedding and breakage confused or think they are the same:yep:.

I don't think there is anyone who does not get ANY breakage but I could be wrong. Personally, I would say that I only get around 5 broken hairs per day. It doesn't bother me at all as long as my hair is healthy and growing. (I'm only full shoulder length now but shooting for BSL). Again, as long as the breakage is not excessive and I see no significant breakage/changes then I don't obsess about it.

I think if you are only breaking 2-3 hairs a day that you have no worries:yep:.

OIC--- you know some people get shedding and breakage confused or think they are the same:yep:.

I don't think there is anyone who does not get ANY breakage but I could be wrong. Personally, I would say that I only get around 5 broken hairs per day. It doesn't bother me at all as long as my hair is healthy and growing. (I'm only full shoulder length now but shooting for BSL). Again, as long as the breakage is not excessive and I see no significant breakage/changes then I don't obsess about it.

I think if you are only breaking 2-3 hairs a day that you have no worries:yep:.

yeah some people do, thanks for explaining just in case
But that relieved my what you just said, so alittle breakage is a normal thing from regular handling and things, as long as you dont see it all over the place or whatever
Whooh, im so relieved, my crazy behind has been going overboard, when ever i saw one hair of breakage from detangling or coming i thought my hair has poor elasticity and just started moisturizing alot and baggying and deepconditonig more---i thought you were supposed to get NO breakage

Anyway, Im shoulder/collarbone too--hopefully by thanksgiving or christmans i'll be APL!

I think if you are only breaking 2-3 hairs a day that you have no worries:yep:.[/QUOTE]

I think that this is a sensible and well-balanced perspective.:)

I lose very few hairs - I voted 0-5. I know that the longer I go between washes the more hairs I lose. I've learned to handle my hair, especially my ends, like genuine silk. It thanks me.

I lose very few hairs - I voted 0-5. I know that the longer I go between washes the more hairs I lose. I've learned to handle my hair, especially my ends, like genuine silk. It thanks me.

I had been washing 2-3 times a week, but now I'm challenging myself to wash only once a week. I washed last night and I lost sooo much hair compared to when I washed frequently. Now I'm having second thoughts about this 1x a week thing :perplexed

Pre-LHCF I use to get ALOT...and I don't even know if it was shedding or what because I didn't really pay attention to my hair like that. Now I get about 20-50 on wash days (I wash twice a week). That includes pre-poo, washing, DC, rollersetting, and combing out rollerset. I also do not comb except for wash days.
I really prefer not to count though, I always see the same amount so it does not really bother me.

I had been washing 2-3 times a week, but now I'm challenging myself to wash only once a week. I washed last night and I lost sooo much hair compared to when I washed frequently. Now I'm having second thoughts about this 1x a week thing :perplexed
I noticed this happens to me too, especially when I'm stretching for a long time (like past 2 months).

I voted too much to count...either my hair is not moisturized enough and it breaks b/c it's dry or it's over conditioned and mushy and it stretches too much and breaks...:ohwell: either way I end up with a lot of hair in my comb and little broken pieces on the floor and in the sink...

I voted 11 to 20 but it's a almost even ration or sometimes it's more shed hairs than broken
more like i'll have 5 shed hairs and 3 broken

I'm about to fix the shedding problem though

I voted 11 to 20 but it's a almost even ration or sometimes it's more shed hairs than broken
more like i'll have 5 shed hairs and 3 broken

I'm about to fix the shedding problem though

What are you about to do a garlic shampoo/conditoner treatment?

If so another little thing you could try is ORS no more flakes, The first 4 ingredients are water, stinging nettle, horsetail, then garlic.

After you shampoo and conditon your hair, how many broken hairs do you notice from combing/detangling, rollersetting, blowdrying, flatironing, twisting, braiding--generally just bothering your hair ect.

Once a week or on my wash day, after detangling, drying, styling, and bothering my hair, i probally get 0-3 broken hairs
depends on how ruff i get on mistake
maybe a ruff fingernailnail may snag a hair, or a comb

When I wash my hair I never count the hairs. I always lose some when combing my conditioner. It's not that significant to me since I don't touch my hair during the week.

I don't really count but I would guess between 11-20. It's rarely "breakage" but more so shedding. I use the get these little half inch to inch long hairs all over me when I touched my hair. Now since I found this place I don't have to brush the hair off me before I head out the door, lol

What are you about to do a garlic shampoo/conditoner treatment?

If so another little thing you could try is ORS no more flakes, The first 4 ingredients are water, stinging nettle, horsetail, then garlic.

I'm going to use Atone with nature botanical reconstructor conditioner with moisture recovery ....it has no protein in it though I've used it before and it worked

i just looked at the ors no more flakes today but didn't pick it up i'll keep this one in mind also thanks

I don't count, either. INTOMYHAIR - atone reconstructor does have protein in it, after all it is a reconstructor.

Back