How many broken hairs do you get from detangling/combing/styling during wash day

How many borken hairs during wash/styling/detangling day

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I get some breaking, pieces of hair just show up on wash day. I don't worry about it, its minimal. I remember the days when my shirts would have tons of broken hairs on the back...THAT was breakage
With black hair you cannot get every single strand to be perfectly strong (IMO). My hair is still thriving so I live with it and move on

I voted too many to count. I try not to worry about it - my hair is growing and it's not thinning out so I'm not gonna worry about it too much.

I'm natural and while I co-wash often (not every day any more - it's getting cold) I do find that I get a lot of them on detangle day. About once a month I run a comb and brush through my naps other than that I'll detangle with my fingers when I co-wash.

You know, I was worrying about this last night when I was setting my hair after washing! I had a few broken hairs in the sink, and I just started to fret. ):

Although, compared to how much my hair used to break off in the past, there is a huge difference. Little hairs used to cover the sink and my shoulders whenever I touched my hair or anything, now I notice that there is very few pieces if any at all when I do my hair. That's saying something at least, but it still leaves me worried at times.

I don't know because I still go to the salon; but it's not much, otherwise, my stylist would tell me. :dance7:

I did my own hair for the first time back in September,:yep: and there was very little hair in the comb. :rolleyes: I washed, conditioned, and detangled my hair while it was in braided sections--seven to be exact. The whole process was easy--to my surprise, but it took five or six hours without a dryer.:blush: Low manipulation on a daily basis means less shedding for me, but it's normal for hair to shed anyway.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about his this am when I was washing my hair!
May I have a lot of breakage...as I've said a million times though, I believe (I'd like to believe) they come from my heat damage ends that were always on the floor when I used to get a press n curl every 2 weeks.

I had been washing 2-3 times a week, but now I'm challenging myself to wash only once a week. I washed last night and I lost sooo much hair compared to when I washed frequently. Now I'm having second thoughts about this 1x a week thing :perplexed

I'm will you on this one! I've been stretching for over thirty weeks now. Once i worked my way to the wash every three days rule me and my locks were cool! Very little in the Dennman and the comb. I moved 2 weeks ago and it has thrown my whole schedule off. I hadn't cond-washed in 10 days! way too long. So much hair in the comb and a lot of work to detangle:wallbash:

LOL! ITA. When I first came to hair boards, I tried all the different detangling methods that everyone said worked for them:

1. detangle under shower - no hair in comb but found tons of hair in drain catcher when I purchase, Lord knows how much went down the drain!
2. detantle with condish - even with large comb and taking time section by section, lots of hair in comb
3. toweled dried with leave-ins - always a bunch of hair in comb)

What's a girl to do? I developed my own method, no more detangling wet hair. Period. I discovered best for me to not manipulate wet or damp hair, so I quit doing all that and don't let comb touch my hair. I fingercomb products thruout hair every step of my wash until its at least 70% dry, then I use a comb and its like butter, way easier and with very little hair loss. . .

I totally agree with this I was trying everyone else's methods as well combing soaking wet hair loaded with conditioner and lost so much hair. I now do what you do and wait until its just damp them comb and you're right it's smooth:lick:

I get some breaking, pieces of hair just show up on wash day. I don't worry about it, its minimal. I remember the days when my shirts would have tons of broken hairs on the back...THAT was breakage
With black hair you cannot get every single strand to be perfectly strong (IMO). My hair is still thriving so I live with it and move on

ITA. That's why I'm a little leary when people say they have absolutely NO breakage especially with our fragile hair type. I think it automatically comes with the territory. Sometimes I think people confuse normal breakage with being seen as having damaged or unkempt hair but I think it's just as unavoidable as shedding. Of course I mean very minor breakage.

i put down 11-20 on wash day but i think it's more like 20-30. i get like one or two hairs when i wash my hair. then the bulk of the shedding is when i'm setting my wet hair on rollers. i have to detangle since my relaxed hair always dries up curly... i use a seamless comb.

i used to blow dry and be OK with that but i can't ever see the hair that comes out of my head. rather than live in denial, i'd rather use other methods to dry my hair and see what i'm losing.

Considering I'm new to this healthy hair journey I would say that my breakage is primarily due to not knowing my hair at all but anyhoo I would will say that the other night when I combed I had about 50 hairs probably more to clean off of my sink. It's bad. I have hair on my sink, floor, shoulders, comb, pants. I wish I could put a halt to it.

I selected, alot more than I can count because I lose quite a lot of hair despite my regular DC'ing - (I've had my steamer since 2007)

But having said that, until recently I was flat ironing my hair everyday because I was mainly wearing short hairstyles, but now that I'm trying to get to SL, i'm having to leave the hair straighteners alone.

Either way inspite of DC'ing, trying to balance protein with moisture, protective styling, regular washing, air drying, using the jilbere shower comb, 2wce daily moisturising, wrapping hair at night, I still think I lose more hair than most (i started this hair regime in the last month).

This is part of the reason why I plan to get my relaxer on Saturday when I will be near enough 8 weeks post relaxer. I cant stretch anymore, my NG is curling up and twisting, getting all knotty and the ends just want to want to break off. If I tried to put a comb through my NG right now I would lose a hell of a lot of hair, and even with combing just the ends I still lose alot! I have just put wave nouveau on my roots to soften it and put strength of nature protectiv 'anti-break' daily leave in. on my ends which I have sealed with fantasia IC hair polisher mist.

Cant wait to get my relaxer, my hair barely breaks in the first 2-3 weeks after it's freshly relaxed! I probably really need a trim too, although I was hoping to be able to get away with just dusting.

It might just be that I need to give the whole regime more time...

Way too many. :nono: I'm done with detangling wet in the shower also, I think that does more harm than good. I don't know why or when I started doing that.

For me its too many too count. It's usually more on the side of breakage than shed hair. I think I'm going to start putting my hair into big braids before washing to minimize tangling and consequently breakage. Hopefully this will help otherwise i don't know what else to do :sad:.

Funny you should ask this question....I washed my hair tonight and while it was wet & full of moisturizer (which I used as a DC)..I detangled my hair and took a pic of what came out...is this good or bad???

Attachments

• shedded hair after wash.jpg
    shedded hair after wash.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 27
Funny you should ask this question....I washed my hair tonight and while it was wet & full of moisturizer (which I used as a DC)..I detangled my hair and took a pic of what came out...is this good or bad???

That's about how much hair I had when I washed 2 days ago. I think my hair breaks a lot less when I detangle it while it is damp rather than wet.

I still get a lot of breakage period, even when i daily moisturise. It IS a lot less than I used to get before I joined the forum, but it's more than i want to see LOL. I too tried the detangling in the shower and was highly disappointed (never again).

I don't do an actual count, but it seems to be between 50 and 80 hairs or so. I'm usually just checking to see if the hairs are long or short, and if there seems to be less than before.

I don't count. Talk about something I wouldn't want to get fixated on. Unless it's serious breakage--which I would notice on my head I hope--I don't even pay attention to shedding hair. Hair sheds. Hair is a type of skin, and skin sheds, so I would expect hair to shed as well.

ever since I started LHCF and actually started taking care of my hair I don't get as much breakage as I use too, I get like 5-10, some wash days I get 5, some wash days I get 10, it fluctuates over 10 sometimes, but I think my breakage has gotten significantly better, my shedding is getting better too, I use to SHED like a DOG, and my mother always told me its normal, well now I know it is normal, but not all that hair I was losing....!

Last night I got zero breakage I believe, because I untangled first in the shower under running water with my shower comb then I got the shed hairs out with my Denman one section at a time and then I lightly braided that section. I later braided my hair neatly to fit under my LF. I will use this same method if I'm going to straighten my hair but I would just let it air dry or sit under the dryer before I flat iron. This is my length retention magic!! That and protein..I'm a fine hair cnapp in love with protein/moisture. I found out I don't need a special detangler product to do this, any cheapy cream rinse (used EE LTR last night) will do for this step.

Last edited:
Oh I need to go through this thread to check out all the reponses!

I did not know this one was here.

I have such a problem with breakage on wash day when I am 4-5 weeks post and beyond.

After I do my hair, there is no breakage at all. Just on wash day. I think it is because of manipulation and detangling.

But, I don't want to accept it as part of it all. There has to be something i can do differently to prevent the breakage.

Oh I need to go through this thread to check out all the reponses!

I did not know this one was here.

I have such a problem with breakage on wash day when I am 4-5 weeks post and beyond.

After I do my hair, there is no breakage at all. Just on wash day. I think it is because of manipulation and detangling.

But, I don't want to accept it as part of it all. There has to be something i can do differently to prevent the breakage.

^ Everything you said except I am JUST starting to have breakage after doing my hair. I'm bunning now, so there's low to no manipulation outside of wash day. I'll up the moisture and see if it helps....

cj

Back