Fess Up! How Many Hairs Do You Lose Daily?

How many hairs do you shed each day while styling/moisturing?

• None

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Less than ten

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • Between ten and thirty

Votes: 62 39.2%
  • Too many to bother counting

Votes: 69 43.7%

• Total voters
My hair shed depends on the way I choose to dry my hair after washing.

If I air dry, I get a lot of shedding for the remainder of the week until my next wash. I mean it could be like 30 strands a day or so. I don't count, but it's enough to make me feel uncomfortable about it.

If I choose to rollerset and dry underneathe a dryer, then I will shed under 5 hairs a day until it gets close to needing me to wash, which will be close to 10 or 15 hairs.

Also, while my hair is wet in the shower and while combing through afterwards, I don't get much shedding. NO more than 15 strands come out.

This is my experience as well, except I still get shedding if I comb while my hair is wet. About 100-150 strands for a single detangling session.

My hair shed depends on the way I choose to dry my hair after washing.

If I air dry, I get a lot of shedding for the remainder of the week until my next wash. I mean it could be like 30 strands a day or so. I don't count, but it's enough to make me feel uncomfortable about it.

If I choose to rollerset and dry underneathe a dryer, then I will shed under 5 hairs a day until it gets close to needing me to wash, which will be close to 10 or 15 hairs.

Also, while my hair is wet in the shower and while combing through afterwards, I don't get much shedding. NO more than 15 strands come out.

Same here.

I will say about 10 that I can actually see. I see about 3 broken hairs. I'm sure I lose more during the day.

I'll say about 50 (broken and shed). The only time I comb my hair is in the morning when I unwrap it and then I wrap it back up at night.

I have a lot of shedding and maybe broken hairs too. I'm not sure if this is because i have an unbalanced diet. but i lose 5-100 hairs every time i cowash. Then I lose some more hair when I run butter through my hair immediately following the shower. I'm afraid to shower with any one because hair is just sliding down my back :(

I just had a rather traumatic experience yesterday. I normally wear my hair in a bun (see avatar) and over the last month I have washed, conditioned and pulled back to dry overnight and then woke up and tucked hair in bun - all without detangling my hair.

Fast forward to yesterday, I went to detangle it and sections of my hair were actually dreds. I could not get a comb through it. I was practically in tears becaus HUGE clumps of my hair were combing out. I would see golf ball sized balls of hair with straight ends combing out. I had to detangle it this time, so I coated my hair with CPR so I could get a comb through it. I just new that 25% of my hair had come out.

Turns out my hair is fine, but that taught me a lesson, even if I am doing the bun, I still must detangle. I shed alot of hair evidently and I need to help it along or it will get caught in my hair and cause serious damage.

This happened to my youngest daughter. I would comb my daughter's (both of them) every other day. Well the youngest's hair can't take that. I have to comb on the daily because it will straight lock up on her. She is 3b/3c with fine strands, and there is no way around it. Gotta detangle everyday. Oldest one, no problem. She has that STRONG stuff. I only wish my hair was like hers. Grows like a weed through rain, sleet or snow....it's the bomb.

I don't know. I am always shedding. Some days worse than others. I've just accepted that I can't stop it. I have done garlic, protien, and moisturizing conditioners. No matter what I always see a few hairs.

For those of you who think they shed 10-30 hairs a day should really try counting each hair that they shed after combing or styling. I say this because I thought the little ball of hair I shedded was around that much. Boy was I wrong. I counted 111 hairs once after styling my dry hair into fat twists at night. I also do not comb my hair everyday so no telling how many days that shed hair accumulated.

I swear it seems like I shed 10-30 hairs with each pull of the comb. I lose so much hair. Dry, damp, or wet, both breakage and shedding.

I have fine hair that NEEDS moisture to stay on my head. If I slack up on my moisture regimen, I can lose up to the full 100 a day from combing, shedding and breakage. Otherwise, it's in the 10-30 hairs range from the first detangling comb out, then nothing after that if I'm gentle with my hair.:ohwell:

IDK how many I lose daily, but I wash my hair every 2 weeks, and between that time it is braided up...so when I wash and braid it again I end up with about half a hand full of hair...which always freaks me out.

I was under the impression I was losing too much hair, but when I straightened it yesterday, it was thicker than ever before and my hair has always been THICK.

Thanks for the comments ladies...I lose a lot of hairs per day & this board makes you feel strange if you lose over 5 :look: I think it is odd to not lose any hair :lol: But I did start taking garlic oral supplements to minimize any excess shedding I may have just in case :giggle:

I voted usually "less than ten." But if it has been more than 4 days since I've combed and moisturized, then that can be up to about 20. Due to the products I use and my diet, I can go days without combing and have only about 10 hairs come out...and my hair is Tracee Ellis Ross and Diana Ross thick (eventhough that isn't all her's). My hair is that thick while straightened, and is not even combable in the dry state while curly.:nono:

^ I don't know about other people, but I don't sit there and literally count each little strand that is shed into the comb or over the sink. I do, however, make an estimated guess at how many there are and compare that to whether there's more or less shedding going on. :drunk: Then, they hit the toilet, because I don't believe in throwing my hair in the trash...people do all kinds of witchcraft and black magic using bodily items like nail clippings and hair.

Last edited:
I read that the average is 50-100 per day so I am going to go with that. Some days its less and some its more. It depends o what I a doing to it.

less than the average. its easily to.confuse it with lots of hair when your hair is longing to long. i could swear up and down i lost 20 baits and it would be 6 folded up hairs (yes i count)

If i ever have 50 to 100 hairs a day coming outta my head. I would freak! I don't care what they say that ain't normally. I have about give or take 10-15

Sent from my GT-I9100G using LHCF

I don't have any breakage but I'm pretty sure I shed the average amount of hair. My hair is super thick too.

If i ever have 50 to 100 hairs a day coming outta my head. I would freak! I don't care what they say that ain't normally. I have about give or take 10-15

Oops double post

Sent from my GT-I9100G using LHCF

Most people don't see the hairs that fall out of the head. It is normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day through natural shedding. That's not a curse, that's biology. :lol:

I lose anywhere from 60-120 hairs a day.

No I'm not sick.

Yes, I tea rinse.

Yes this happens everyday all day.

No, I'm not worried.

Yes, I usually have a gum ball size on wash day.

....and Yes, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Except your shedding for what it is. It'll make your life a hella' of lot easier :yep:.

I lose anywhere from 60-120 hairs a day.

No I'm not sick.

Yes, I tea rinse.

Yes this happens everyday all day.

No, I'm not worried.

Yes, I usually have a gum ball size on wash day.

....and Yes, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Except your shedding for what it is. It'll make your life a hella' of lot easier :yep:.

:huh: EnExitStageLeft you know that we low density girls freak out :eek2: when we see our hair anywhere but upside our head.

Back