HOTs, Oil Rinses, Ends/Scalp Sealing Challenge 5/1/11- 8/31/11

grow

I always like to add just a splash of oil right before I apply. I just grab whatever is closest. :grin:

I'd prefer Amala, but I ran out (and never replaced) because it helps 'darken' the stain:grin:

But since I don't have anymore Amala I just improvise. I've used Wheat Germ, Kukui Nut, Safflower etc...whatevers on hand.

I finished up my Anita Grant sapote castor oil this week.:perplexed:. Also finished another castor/efa blend by doing oil rinses after co-washes or dc'ing. That castor/efa blend is a nice blend for me,and ideal for oil rinses.

Under the Steamer (after a Long Henna/Indigo Process). Steaming with KBB Luscious Locs Hair Masque.

Will finish up with Pure Argan Oil w/my Leave-In and Hydratherma Oil to Moisturize & Seal after I Dry.

Hi ladies,

I recently purchased a bottle of hemp seed oil and while browsing around on the web on its benefits, I stumbled across website that stated hemp seed oil couldn't be used for HOTs.

What say you all? Is hemp seed oil effective as a HOT?????

Hi ladies,

I recently purchased a bottle of hemp seed oil and while browsing around on the web on its benefits, I stumbled across website that stated hemp seed oil couldn't be used for HOTs.

I Love That Oil. I blew straight through 2 Bottles using it as a Sealant.

I never tried it as a HOT nor did I think about it (at the time).:perplexed

I know it makes your hair Blingalicious:lick: The Shine from this Ceramide Packed Oil is unreal.:drool:

Don't know about the HOT. I never thought about it.:blush: I will definitely be reupping on a 3rd Bottle in the future.

bajandoc86
Have you ever done a Hot Oil Treatment with Hemp Oil?

[USER=17943 said:
Brownie518[/USER];13432021]againstallodds - Did it say why hemp seed shouldn't be used for a HOT??

@Brownie518 Yes, the site claimed heat degrades hemp seed oil and decreases its efficiency. I've been trying to find it for an hour :(

I found numerous other sites that suggested using hemp as a HOT so I didn't put too much stock in the one that advised against using as a HOT but wanted to check here first.

Also, my bottle of Nutiva Hemp Seed Oil says to keep the oil refrigerated and use within 8 to 12 weeks of opening... anyone else run into this? Leaving your hemp out and using a room temp?

@againstallodds

I kept mine at Room Temp but I know I definitely used both Bottles up within 8-12 weeks tho'.:perplexed I don't worry too, too terribly much about 'shelf-life'.

Maybe @Ltown @Lita @choctaw @JerriBlank will chime in to discuss Oil "Shelf-Life"

I don't have any oils stored in the Fridge.

Well...wait...I take that back.:blush: My Hydratherma Naturals Oil is in there. And that's only because I was attempting to put it away until Fall (un-opened) and HTN suggested that I store it in the Fridge.:yep:

@Brownie518 Yes, the site claimed heat degrades hemp seed oil and decreases its efficiency. I've been trying to find it for an hour :(

I found numerous other sites that suggested using hemp as a HOT so I didn't put too much stock in the one that advised against using as a HOT but wanted to check here first.

Also, my bottle of Nutiva Hemp Seed Oil says to keep the oil refrigerated and use within 8 to 12 weeks of opening... anyone else run into this? Leaving your hemp out and using a room temp?

againstallodds Hi! The hemp seed I have is in a dark bottle & I keep it in a cool dry place/The shelf life is 12 months and its only for external use......

*Nutiva Hemp seed is for internal use/So it doesn't have extra preservatives to extend its life..Thats good/means your body (inside) is reaping all the benefits...

Happy Hair Growing!

@ IDareT'sHair I've never actually tried it as a HOT....hmmmm. I need to look for that site that againstallodds mentioned. Tomorrow is my wash and DC day tho. So if I could do a HOT without it degrading, I would try it out tomorrow:grin:.

And does the nutiva organic hempseed oil really say refrigerate after opening?? Mine's sitting on my dresser in my bedroom for about a week now since I opened it:nono:. I wanna run home NOW to put it in the fridge.....maaaannnnnnnnn

I didn't have the Nutiva Brand. I purchased mine from Mountain Rose Herbs and it was in a tall, long, thin bottle like Olive Oil comes in.

againstallodds Hi! The hemp seed I have is in a dark bottle & I keep it in a cool dry place/The shelf life is 12 months and its only for external use......

*Nutiva Hemp seed is for internal use/So it doesn't have extra preservatives to extend its life..Thats good/means your body (inside) is reaping all the benefits...

Happy Hair Growing!

@Lita: Thank you for making that distinction!

againstallodds, i keep mine refrigerated by choice its not required unless it say so like wheat germ oil. All the oils that i have do have expiration dates so i do watch that.

Hi ladies,

I saw this on several scientific papers regarding sphingolipids (for internal and external use) and their efficacy for skin and hair. Not just wrt hemp, but wheat germ oil and some of the other oils with the prized ceramides (grapeseed oil, and I think I saw avocado oil).

Internal versus external use. I dont think it matters, an ineffective ceramide is useless either way. Heat may break the fatty backbone of ceramide, releasing its side chain sugars-ineffective ceramide. But a lot of products with synthetic and natural ceramides state the product is great for heat usage (keeping in mind they market a magic ingredient to boost sales, e.g. they can put olive oil in a relaxer and say the relaxer is the best b/c of this and we know full well that olive oil is rendered ineffective by other ingredients in the mix). The best example is my Mizani Thermasmooth Step 3. It has a proprietary ingredient, a synthetic ceramide. This product is a heat protectant. I don't know if synthetic ceramides are more resistant to heat degradation than natural. Idk. Ok, why take the chance with my oils? I won't be heating mine. Its too expensive to render it possibly useless. Not to mention all the work of oiling and sealing and expecting amazing results. I purchased hemp seed oil today which reccommends refrigeration. I have now put my wheat germ, avocado, and grapeseed oils in the fridge.

I hesitated posting this.

Sent from my DROIDX

Did an overnight prepoo with grapeseed oil last night and an oil rinse today with sunflower oil. I'm back on track :yep:

I am still in this challenge but I won't be popping and out of this thread as much. Trying something new with the oils for the summer so I don't think I will be using as much oil and sealing as I did for the Winter :yep:

question? What does the hemp seed oil smell like and you know how stuff can absorb into your bloodstream? If/when that does happen any marijuanna like side effects?:look: I know i sound like an idiot and a troll but it's a real question. Im seeing that the hempseed/grapeseed combo is a real hit and i wanted to try it...:look:

@againstallodds

I kept mine at Room Temp but I know I definitely used both Bottles up within 8-12 weeks tho'.:perplexed I don't worry too, too terribly much about 'shelf-life'.

Maybe @Ltown @Lita @choctaw @JerriBlank will chime in to discuss Oil "Shelf-Life"

Well...wait...I take that back.:blush: My Hydratherma Naturals Oil is in there. And that's only because I was attempting to put it away until Fall (un-opened) and HTN suggested that I store it in the Fridge.:yep:

The only oil I have ever stored in the fridge was a flaxseed oil,and I got it from the refrigerator section at the health food store. It also said for me to keep it in there.:yep:. All my other oils have been kept at room temperature,too,IDareT'sHair. I have not have any problems with oils going rancid at all.

I saw this on several scientific papers regarding sphingolipids (for internal and external use) and their efficacy for skin and hair. Not just wrt hemp, but wheat germ oil and some of the other oils with the prized ceramides (grapeseed oil, and I think I saw avocado oil).

Internal versus external use. I dont think it matters, an ineffective ceramide is useless either way. Heat may break the fatty backbone of ceramide, releasing its side chain sugars-ineffective ceramide. But a lot of products with synthetic and natural ceramides state the product is great for heat usage (keeping in mind they market a magic ingredient to boost sales, e.g. they can put olive oil in a relaxer and say the relaxer is the best b/c of this and we know full well that olive oil is rendered ineffective by other ingredients in the mix). The best example is my Mizani Thermasmooth Step 3. It has a proprietary ingredient, a synthetic ceramide. This product is a heat protectant. I don't know if synthetic ceramides are more resistant to heat degradation than natural. Idk. Ok, why take the chance with my oils? I won't be heating mine. Its too expensive to render it possibly useless. Not to mention all the work of oiling and sealing and expecting amazing results. I purchased hemp seed oil today which reccommends refrigeration. I have now put my wheat germ, avocado, and grapeseed oils in the fridge.

I hesitated posting this.

Sent from my DROIDX

I took the plunge this morning and warmed up my hemp seed oil. Wish I stopped by and read this first.

I am oiling everyday with the same thing cocasta. I had never even considered grapeseed and hempseed oil untill I read these posts......

@againstallodds

I keep hemp, mustard and gingelly oils in the refrigerator. Argan oil is in a dark cool place. It is best to not buy the perishable oils in large amounts.

allmundjoi

I'm glad you went ahead and posted your Research/Facts/Findings/Opinion.

We are all here to learn and we don't want to be doing something that's not beneficial to our Healthy Hair Goals.

Back