HOTs, Oil Rinses, Ends/Scalp Sealing Challenge 5/1/11- 8/31/11

Recovering from the gym. Mixed some infusium + water+taliah wajid moisturizer + apoghee green tea in a spray bottle will use and seal with oil mix. I must be a mad scientist at heart.

I remember blue magic. :lol: Thanks for this post. I haven't figured out the key to moisturizing and sealing yet for my hair so I am still playing around with some things. I had stopped sealing because it wasn't doing anything but making my hair greasy. Not sure yet whether my hair likes the light, the heavy or the light followed by the heavy. But after my experimentation I wil definitely try to remember Blue Magic if I find my hair likes heavier stuff. :yep:

faithVA- I understand what you mean. I would always try to seal with an oil, but it just seemed like and extra step for me and I didn't see anything different about my hair doing it. So somedays I would just moisturize and just tie down my hair with a scarf and good and of course by the end of the day it would be dry. So I started experimenting with vaseline and didn't like that, so I tried unpetroleum jelly and that worked very well don't know why I stopped using it. Oh yeah I stopped because I started using qhemet heavy cream and that plus the unpetroleum made my hair way too oily. What I did notice while using heavier greasies to seal was that my hair actually held moisture longer and my hair looked smooth like it was sealed. But again I jumped on bandwagons and went away from that even though it worked. But I'm going back to the heavier greases and sticking to it cuz it works.

Over the course of this journey I have learned that I need to listen to my hair. I was cowashing 3 times a week and I have dropped to two, because it took me 8 months to realize it was doin more harm than good for me. It was good as far as moisture, but the manipulation was killing my retention. Since I stopped that over the last month and a half it really seems like my hair has taken off as far as growth and retention. I also stopped combing everyday just on wash days and detangle once a week. I am finger combing most of the time and I had to get rid of my tangle teaser because the combs were bending so I invested in a hercules saggman seamless comb. And these things have improved my hair retention and with the growth aides I can now see some growth. So from here on out I'm gonna do what my hair tells me. Today was a good day with the blue magic it's smooth/shiny no fly aways I didn't even re-bun my hair this morning cuz it was still neat and moisturized from last night.

Oiled hair with hibiscus infused coconut/almond oil and covered with plastic cap. Saturated oiled hair with conditioner and covered with plastic cap. My hair and scalp feels good marinating under oils and conditioner.

choctaw - I do the same...really works well for me!! :yep:

I'm about to put a little Healthy hair butta on my nape and edges and seal up with some JBCO/Emu.

An_gell;13452403 so I tried unpetroleum jelly and that worked very well ... What I did notice while using heavier greasies to seal was that my hair actually held moisture longer and my hair looked smooth like it was sealed. Over the course of this journey I have learned that I need to listen to my hair. I was cowashing 3 times a week and I have dropped to two said:
An_gell, The info about cowashing was interesting. I never considered the xtra manipulation needed. And I may have seen unpetreloeum jelly but not sure. May check that out.

So far I am maintaining moisture without sealing. But I am considering some type of product for my ends to help them play more nicely. But it does come down to what you said - Listening to your hair.

Pre poo with Ayurvedic oil mix,washed with sulfate free poo,Used Herbal Hair Mask & I added pumpkin seed oil,Walnut oil,Mustard oil,Brahmi powder mixed in BF 5min,Dc with Darcy's pumpkin con 35min,Applied Shea Smoothie,lightly oiled my scalp with Mahabhringraj,Sealed with Sesame seed......JBCO on edges....Hair back in braids....

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Rinsed out oil/conditioner mix, co-washed and detangled with shower comb. Final rinse with 2 tablespoons acv, 1 teaspoon tea tree oil in 1.75 liter warm water. Used turbie twist to absorb excess water. Oiled scalp and ends with argan oil, dried in 6 braids. Hair is soft, smooth & moisturized.

Evening Hot-Hottie Divas Of Hair:wave:

So today, I wore 2 Plastic Caps, Safflower Oil, a Du-Rag and My Wig to Work for a Improvised HOT. :lol:

Came home and Co-washed. Currently under the dryer. Will use Pure Argan and Seal after drying with Hydratherma Naturals Oil.

Evening Hot-Hottie Divas Of Hair:wave:

So today, I wore 2 Plastic Caps, Safflower Oil, a Du-Rag and My Wig to Work for a Improvised HOT. :lol:

Came home and Co-washed. Currently under the dryer. Will use Pure Argan and Seal after drying with Hydratherma Naturals Oil.

girl, you done passed HOT ... you are on fiyah!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Okay, my hemp seed oil came in yesterday.
WHY DIDN'T YALL TELL ME HOW NICE IT IS????:grin:
Sure, it's stinky at first. But
My hair today feels like young people's hair. Strong and soft and very nice.
I've been letting folks feel my hair all day....:blush:

daaiyah

Gurl......It's all that. Not only is it Chocked Full of Ceramides, it makes the Hair Very, very Shiny too.:grin:

Glad you're enjoying it.

Last edited:
Okay, my hemp seed oil came in yesterday.
WHY DIDN'T YALL TELL ME HOW NICE IT IS????:grin:
Sure, it's stinky at first. But
My hair today feels like young people's hair. Strong and soft and very nice.
I've been letting folks feel my hair all day....:blush:

@daayiah - Dont' you love it!!! :yep: IDareT'sHair put me on that hemp seed and I haven't looked back. Great oil.

I did my weekly mid week scalp massage. I actually dislike massaging my scalp cuz is boring. But my oil blend smells soooo good. I love it. Going to add my leave in with oil blend later tonight to keep my hair moisturized.

I loooove being on the right track with my hair. :grin:

Brownie518 - how are you using your hemp?

IDareT'sHair - I will lurk this challenge and drop in from time to time. I need to figure out what oils I have and how I will incorporate them to rid myself of the stash especially since I no longer mix oils in my conditioners. Off the top of my head I know I have, jojoba, evoo, evco, jbco, avocado, hemp, wheat germ and several others. I will be purchasing emu for the dh and try argan for myself to see if it trumphs my beloved avocado. After I use up everything, jbco (roots), avocado (sealing), and evco (to use on face, not hair) will stay in the stash. The rest will be phased out because I no longer need them.

my arms are too short to box with amla brahmi maka paste ... I beat dat dog down with a coconut oil rinse. :yep:

the hemp seed oil in that paste kept it juicy ... :lick:

Massaged scalp with JBCO, moisturized with my taliaphoginfusium mix lol and seal with oil mix ( evoo,evco,HOT six oil, hemp, mahabingraj,hibiscus etc. )

divachyk - I have my hemp seed in a couple of mixes. One prepoo mix I have has that with some garlic oil, JBCO, amla oil, rice bran, and safflower. I also have one I seal with that has hemp with grapeseed, emu, walnut, and safflower. I also use it on its on to seal since it makes my hair so soft, silky, and shiny.

Back