Honeycomb's daughter's hair

Great thread Honeycomb. This thread confirms to me many myths about growing afro textured hair long (3a-4z) (smile).

Myth 1: Washing hair I agree with you. I believe that hair that is drier does not need to be washed once a week unless it has a lot of build up from products. Now, many black hair care gurus have stated that the number one problem of black women is not washing their hair at least once a week and that it is necessary to clean the scalp and bring moisture into the hair. I think a lot of this thinking exists because, people still cannot get that yes black and white people may have a lot in common but the one thing that sets apart is our hair and scalp. And white people need to wash their hair everyday because their hair secretes a lot of oil our hair does not. While yes, water can bring moisture into the hair it can also dry out the hair if the hair is not kept in a protective style or if not sealed with a light moisturiser or oil. Black women should wash their hair when it starts to smell or when there is obvious build up or if you are exercising and sweat in your scalp and each person knows when that time is, there is no special time to wash your hair because someone says so.

And if you are misting your hair with water, it's like washing your hair everyday anyhow. And if your hair gets itchy quickly then either you are not washing the conditioner out enough or you have product build up on your scalp.

Myth 2: DCing. I stopped Dcing many months ago because I was living in West Africa and did not have the time because I was always travelling in and out of West Africa. I only do my conditioners under the steam from the shower for abour 10 minutes. What I discovered, that there was not much of a difference in the way my hair felt Dcing vs. non Dcing. And I discovered that with my fine 4a strands Dcing actually led to too much build up which took forever to wash out. And if I did not wash it all out then I would get a clump when my hair would dry later on and then I would have to do an extensive detangling process to get the clump out because fine strands get stuck together quickly.

Myth 3: Shampooing and conditioning in braids does not get the scalp clean enough. I learnt that if you are under a shower and wash your scalp with your fingertips (not nails or comb to cause injury to your scalp) your hair and scalp will be clean. And fine strands cannot withstand the high water pressure so it is better to keep the hair in loose braids for shampooing and conditioning to preserve strands.

Myth 4: Moisturising means a heavy product. Many of us think that the moisturising product we use must be gunky, gummy, sticky or heavy. However, after seeing many of my strands fall by the waste side. I now use my mist aloe juice-water (though I may stop that and just use water and stop wasting money) and qhemet olive oil and honey balm or coconut oil/jojoba. My hair is kept in twists and I use this mist and oil everyday. No hair in the comb and hair is not greasy the next day. When I use the gunky products (especially without misting with water), I get hair everywhere and my hair looks and feels greasy. Also another myth is that water and oil don't mix which is why when I stumbled across my discovery that I did not need another heavy moisturiser unless in a small amount or very light. A point of digression, I cook African stew with olive oil and tomatoes, onions and smoked fish and I add water. When the food is done the water does not separate from the oil it mixes in perfectly. Therefore, oil and water on hair is not necessarily incompatible.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
Great thread Honeycomb. This thread confirms to me many myths about growing afro textured hair long (3a-4z) (smile).

Myth 1: Washing hair I agree with you. I believe that hair that is drier does not need to be washed once a week unless it has a lot of build up from products. Now, many black hair care gurus have stated that the number one problem of black women is not washing their hair at least once a week and that it is necessary to clean the scalp and bring moisture into the hair. I think a lot of this thinking exists because, people still cannot get that yes black and white people may have a lot in common but the one thing that sets apart is our hair and scalp. And white people need to wash their hair everyday because their hair secretes a lot of oil our hair does not. While yes, water can bring moisture into the hair it can also dry out the hair if the hair is not kept in a protective style or if not sealed with a light moisturiser or oil. Black women should wash their hair when it starts to smell or when there is obvious build up or if you are exercising and sweat in your scalp and each person knows when that time is, there is no special time to wash your hair because someone says so.

And if you are misting your hair with water, it's like washing your hair everyday anyhow. And if your hair gets itchy quickly then either you are not washing the conditioner out enough or you have product build up on your scalp.

Myth 2: DCing. I stopped Dcing many months ago because I was living in West Africa and did not have the time because I was always travelling in and out of West Africa. I only do my conditioners under the steam from the shower for abour 10 minutes. What I discovered, that there was not much of a difference in the way my hair felt Dcing vs. non Dcing. And I discovered that with my fine 4a strands Dcing actually led to too much build up which took forever to wash out. And if I did not wash it all out then I would get a clump when my hair would dry later on and then I would have to do an extensive detangling process to get the clump out because fine strands get stuck together quickly.

Myth 3: Shampooing and conditioning in braids does not get the scalp clean enough. I learnt that if you are under a shower and wash your scalp with your fingertips (not nails or comb to cause injury to your scalp) your hair and scalp will be clean. And fine strands cannot withstand the high water pressure so it is better to keep the hair in loose braids for shampooing and conditioning to preserve strands.

Myth 4: Moisturising means a heavy product. Many of us think that the moisturising product we use must be gunky, gummy, sticky or heavy. However, after seeing many of my strands fall by the waste side. I now use my mist aloe juice-water (though I may stop that and just use water and stop wasting money) and qhemet olive oil and honey balm or coconut oil/jojoba. My hair is kept in twists and I use this mist and oil everyday. No hair in the comb and hair is not greasy the next day. When I use the gunky products (especially without misting with water), I get hair everywhere and my hair looks and feels greasy. Also another myth is that water and oil don't mix which is why when I stumbled across my discovery that I did not need another heavy moisturiser unless in a small amount or very light. A point of digression, I cook African stew with olive oil and tomatoes, onions and smoked fish and I add water. When the food is done the water does not separate from the oil it mixes in perfectly. Therefore, oil and water on hair is not necessarily incompatible.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Fantastic post Almond Eyes; I agree with you even though I tend to be very heavy-handed with my moisturizers. :yep:

Honeycomb.... you're my shero. :yep: You've done such a wonderful job with your daughter's hair. It looks beautiful and healthy. I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

By the way, Honeycomb. Thanks for sharing about your daughter's hair it is beautiful and this is another reminder to myself about keeping it simple.

Naijaamerican: I used to be very heavy handed and was proud to admit so. Of course, if you have a lot of hair on your head you have to cover the entire territory and not be stingy with other parts, but I have since learnt, that more product doesn't mean better.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Fantastic post Almond Eyes; I agree with you even though I tend to be very heavy-handed with my moisturizers. :yep:

Honeycomb.... you're my shero. :yep: You've done such a wonderful job with your daughter's hair. It looks beautiful and healthy. I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

Thank you naijamerican, I appreciate it:yep:

By the way, Honeycomb. Thanks for sharing about your daughter's hair it is beautiful and this is another reminder to myself about keeping it simple.

Naijaamerican: I used to be very heavy handed and was proud to admit so. Of course, if you have a lot of hair on your head you have to cover the entire territory and not be stingy with other parts, but I have since learnt, that more product doesn't mean better.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Almond Eyes, your post is outstanding, everything you said in it is right on!!! Love it!!

WOW, gorgeous hair, let it grow, she could get to classic easily.
Don't let her take over her own hair care all at once, show her little by little what you do for her so she knows, then show her how much women pay for weaves and extensions and she already has that built in advantage beauty wise. Maybe that will postpone her cutting it.

I agree with you Lucia.

I didn't let my oldest daugther start doing her hair until she was in her last few years of high school, even then, I was doing the bulk of her hair styling. I basically would tell her how to manage it between washings. She lost some inches during the first couple of years, but she's getting the hang of protecting the ends and not flat-ironing every week. She's at the point now where she can wash her hair, but I still flat-iron, she doesn't have that techique together yet, and she only flat-iron once a month.

One thing I do with my daughters while I'm doing their hair, is talk to them tell them exactly what I'm doing and why I'm doing it and why it's healthy for their hair--I even ask them questions at any given time about what I've talked to them about regarding their hair, because I might not be around to assist them, and I don't want them to be at the mercy of a heartless beautician, who's either scissor happy or don't know how to handle natural hair.

I had to learn everything myself when I was younger and my hair suffered because of it, and I hope they can avoid a lot of the pitfalls that I had to endure.

Your daughter is very lucky to have a mother who cares to teach her about haircare!!!

And thank u OP! this is a great thread but now im obsessed with this girl hair! what a lucky girl! Hair and the body of a real woman *sigh* im twice her age and im jealous of her hair and body lol... sheesh! I have the physique of a 12 yr old lol

Back