Honeycomb's daughter's hair

Just stopping in to give you your props Honeycomb, you have done a wonderful job on your daughter's hair, and if you are taking appointments I can make it over to your house once a month for the next 12 yrs so you can grow mine out as well:lachen:

Never do DC's (not even on my own hair), no protein treatments, nor do I have to clarify because the products I use for her hair wash out easily.

On wash day I do use a little Giovanni Leave in on each section before I braid it, other than that, I don't put anything else on it.

The jojoba oil was only used to flat-iron her hair. Jojoba oil is great for the hair, esp. flat-ironing, it gets the hair really silky and it doesn't leave it greasy--great shine.

As far as a daily moisturizer--I don't do that either.

I told yall, I keep it really, really simply :lol:

That's similar to what I do, even if I wash once a week. :yep:
I don't DC since a couple of years and I don't use protein treatments, I don't moisturize daily either and I never clarify. Sometimes I'll put some conditioner and water on the hair to revive the curls, that's all...

Simplicity is definately the way to go! :D

Great Job Mom! I recently gave birth to our fourth child, our 3rd girl. When I found out we were having another girl, I was like " I may have to shave my head because I am not going to be able to keep up with all this hair!

My kids are 6, 4, 2, and 4 weeks and my 6yr olds hair is 4a and almost waistlength and my 2yr old is 4a and armpit!

I felt guilty because I dont do anything special other than 24/7 protective styling.

I feel encouraged that the simple regimine you have for your daughter has resulted in all that pretty hair!

I pray that simple will also continue to work for my daughter's because we just dont have time for anything else.

Keep up the good work.

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't feel guilty, protective styling is one of the most loving things you can do for your children's hair. It keeps it healthy and it keeps the length. My oldest DD wore box braids until she was a Sophomore in highschool. Since she's stopped the protective styling, it's broken off some, but she's got a lot to learn if she wants that length back.

Sounds like you're doing a great job.

That's what my sister and I realized a while ago. When she was 11 or 12 she asked to stop getting relaxers and wear her hair in cornrows all the time, and once she hit 13 we switched it up to kinky twists/box braids, which are better since that means I am only redoing/detangling her hair once every 6-8 weeks. She'll wash them every week or two and moisturize, then leave her hair alone till the next wash day. She's 14 and on her way to BSL now. This simple approach is definitely best for her...and applicable to me too, but I tend to do it more in the colder months.

Honeycomb, her hair is gorgeous...and I'm glad you showed this thread to her! Maybe we just bought her a few more years of resisting the urge to cut it off! :rofl:

I hope so, she's just tickled pink at this thread :lol:

Just stopping in to give you your props Honeycomb, you have done a wonderful job on your daughter's hair, and if you are taking appointments I can make it over to your house once a month for the next 12 yrs so you can grow mine out as well:lachen:

That's similar to what I do, even if I wash once a week. :yep:
I don't DC since a couple of years and I don't use protein treatments, I don't moisturize daily either and I never clarify. Sometimes I'll put some conditioner and water on the hair to revive the curls, that's all...

Simplicity is definately the way to go! :D

Say this again Flowerhair--I don't understand anything other than simple when it comes to doing hair. It doesn't take a lot to retain length, and your hair will love you for it:yep:

Never do DC's (not even on my own hair), no protein treatments, nor do I have to clarify because the products I use for her hair wash out easily.

On wash day I do use a little Giovanni Leave in on each section before I braid it, other than that, I don't put anything else on it.

The jojoba oil was only used to flat-iron her hair. Jojoba oil is great for the hair, esp. flat-ironing, it gets the hair really silky and it doesn't leave it greasy--great shine.

As far as a daily moisturizer--I don't do that either.

I told yall, I keep it really, really simply :lol:

I love her regimen

Her hair is not brittle at all--actually, it's really soft. I believe that comes from not putting a lot of stuff on it. I use very little products on her hair when I do use it. Others have commented on the softness of her hair. You'd think that it would be brittle but it's not.

And I love that you don't put anything in it. I never really enjoyed all the moisturizing that lots of people do. I never have success with box braids, but her regimen has inspired me to try to find a way to simplify further.

I can't wait to see what her box braids look like.

You did a great job HoneyComb!! Your DD's hair is gorgeous!!

.....ask your DD if i could have just a few inches of her hair so that I can get to MBL. :look:

your daughter's hair is beautiful honeycomb. you are doing a great job, i know its a labor of love. :yep:

Girl yes. DD is a big man, and the woman on his side of the family are very volumptuous. She started developing at 8, so I've been dealing with this for a few years now.
Wow. And my daughter who is 10 can still wear size 8 jeans in little girls, lol.. Poor baby, we drove by the bus stop for middle schoolers one morning and she's like, "gosh those kids are in middle school. I'm gonna be the smallest thing out there next year" lol

But your daughter's hair is amazing..

I love her regimen
And I love that you don't put anything in it. I never really enjoyed all the moisturizing that lots of people do. I never have success with box braids, but her regimen has inspired me to try to find a way to simplify further.

Right to bolded, I wear natural box braids and sometimes twist, the only moisturizer I've ever used is distilled water and seal with coconut oil, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, Honeycomb your daughters reggie really gives me hope.

I love her regimen

Right to bolded, I wear natural box braids and sometimes twist, the only moisturizer I've ever used is distilled water and seal with coconut oil, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, Honeycomb your daughters reggie really gives me hope.

I never understood the moisturizing technique that some talk about--it all seemed too tedious to me--too many steps, and too many techniques, imo, is just a waste of time to someone like me that doesn't like to spend a lot of time on hair.

Im not a mositurizer either. Maybe 2x a week if that only to like the last two inches of my ends...even so its about a dime sized amount.

I am tempted to try not moisturizing, but when I dont my natural 4b hair splits and breaks.

I tried it for a six months and I made no progress. Now that I moisturize daily, Im starting to retain length again.

Wow. And my daughter who is 10 can still wear size 8 jeans in little girls, lol.. Poor baby, we drove by the bus stop for middle schoolers one morning and she's like, "gosh those kids are in middle school. I'm gonna be the smallest thing out there next year" lol

But your daughter's hair is amazing..
try a child's size 12 at the age of 25... if it werent for my abnormally long limbs i could so get away with it elsewise. there maybe no hope for your daughter :nono: :rofl: dont tell her that though:lachen:

I am tempted to try not moisturizing, but when I dont my natural 4b hair splits and breaks.

I tried it for a six months and I made no progress. Now that I moisturize daily, Im starting to retain length again.
different strokes for diifferent folks :yep:
when I wear my hair curly vs straight, I find that I need to basically moisturize daily when I wear a wash n go compared to almost 1-2x a week when my hair is straight. I think my hair absorbs the products better when my hair is straight and therefore I dont have to do much with it.

different strokes for diifferent folks :yep:
when I wear my hair curly vs straight, I find that I need to basically moisturize daily when I wear a wash n go compared to almost 1-2x a week when my hair is straight. I think my hair absorbs the products better when my hair is straight and therefore I dont have to do much with it.

Agreed, different techniques will work great for certain hair types and not do a thing for others. Even the same hair textures (4a's for example) can't use what another 4a uses on their hair and get the same results.

Everyone has to do what's best for their hair:yep:

OMG that is some head of hair! I'm totally going to stick to box braiding my little one's hair.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you so much!!! She will be honored that this thread was started about her hair!!

Her regimen is really simple (She doesn't like to get her hair done):

I wash her hair every 3 to 4 weeks (any shampoo and I use a Suave conditioner). Her hair is washed in natural box braids which she wears her hair in 99% of the time.

The picture in my siggy is her hair flat-ironed with Jojoba oil. I only straighten her hair a few times a year--(today was one of those days:grin:).

I've been doing protective styles on her hair since she had enough hair to do (at the time I didn't know what protective styling was). All I knew is that it kept me from doing her hair so often.

Her hair is 4a and it's extremely thick.

She is not into her hair at all--if it's fuzzy in box braids she doesn't care. She doesn't like to wear it down, and I put it in a few braided ponytails after I took the picture.

HTH.
image.php

WOW, gorgeous hair, let it grow, she could get to classic easily.
Don't let her take over her own hair care all at once, show her little by little what you do for her so she knows, then show her how much women pay for weaves and extensions and she already has that built in advantage beauty wise. Maybe that will postpone her cutting it.

Back