Hide Your Hair For 6 Months Challenge: June 15 - December 15

I wore my hair in a braidout today. It was the first one that actually looked cute. And of course my hair was shrunken, though in the back it's starting to hang a bit.

I think I'll put it up for the rest of the week.

I'm just checking in... it's been a while!

I finally got around to buying a couple half wigs, but it's been stupid hot outside! So they are sitting on the shelf until later. But until then, I'm still rocking the buns!

Still hiding my hair in a variety of ways. I did the donut bun thing for awhile, moved on to phony pony. now that i have a fresh relaxer i'm rocking a lacefront with some of my hair out.

washing and dc'ing weekly. using jbco and coconut oil. i am running out of jcbo though, :sad:.

cant wait for the big reveal!!!

I just realized the last day of this challenge will mark my 6th month post texturizer.

I'm still debating if I want to blow it out myself or go to the stylist for my big reveal.

anyone else thinking of getting their hair done professionally for this?

it will be my first reveal ever so im excited :grin:

I have straightened my roots from the scalp down about 3 inches(just enough to pull it back into a smooth ponytail clip with a sharp part). I am still trying to hide it and protect it, but I need it to conform to professional standards this week. So this is the compromise I made. It straightened easily on a low heat with my runway with some protexx and mizani night time treatment on the roots. My ends are roded/braided with s-curl and clipped up. It's still hidden and protected I just used some heat(1 swipe 250 with the flat iron). 1 pass with the hot comb on the kitchen.

I don't know if I wanna relax yet or wait. I'm almost 4 months post right now. My goal is to stretch for 6 month from now on. Six months would have put me right at my lines 10 year anniversary for Homecoming. But, this new growth is kinda THICK...so I don't know!!! :lachen:My wash time is longer now because I have to wash in sections. But, I want to wear my hair down for Homecoming. So if I relax now, I'm not certain if my hair will rollerset right when I'm 2 months post. :ohwell:

Get some braids or a sew in so it wont be so much stress on your hair.

Im a going to the salon.
I just realized the last day of this challenge will mark my 6th month post texturizer.

I'm still debating if I want to blow it out myself or go to the stylist for my big reveal.

anyone else thinking of getting their hair done professionally for this?

it will be my first reveal ever so im excited :grin:

Just checking in - still going strong with my braids. I noticied a bit more growth when I touched up my braids around my edges and crown - Yippee:grin:

Checking in:

Still hiding my hair with wigs and may get it put in extensions next week. I just remembered that my family and I will be spending a couple of days over at the Atlantis Hotel on slides, water parks and rides and I will not be comfortable with a wig on. The river rapids is rough, let alone the power tower and the leap of faith slides. Atlantis here we come, Woohoo!

I am loving my afro puff right now. I straightened my roots earlier this week but after a day of that I just let the humidity run it's course. As a result, I have had the perfect slicked, afro puff for that last 4 days. Before when I tried a puff it didn't work well for me but I think it was because I tried to rock it fresh out the shower after detangling(too much shrinkage and tangling, emphasis on the tangling from that method). This time, I let it dry/stretch in braids then shrink up(all the way up but stayed supper thick and round) on its own from the humidity. The result was the perfect kinky cotton ball.

Last edited:
Checking in: I've been wearing my hair in braid outs, braid out buns, french braids. I'm going back to wearing my KS instant wig until the end of the challenge.

Checking in: I am still in this challenge wearing wigs ladies. I will be hiding my hair for a looooong time to come, at least another 10 months to a year, maybe longer. I haven't decided yet because my relaxer stretch is linked to the length of time for hiding my hair:yep:.

After I got tired of the bun, I sported some twistouts and braidouts. Now I'm tired of messing with my hair so I think I'm going back to bunning. :ohwell:

Sorry I have not checked in for a while but I am still keeping my hair covered at all times. The only time my hair is out is when I am at home and it is only for a couple of hours or so to allow my scalp to breathe a little.

OP, can you clarify - Are we supposed to actually "hide" our hair under a hat/weave/other? Or just hiding the ends and not showing the actual length? This has just been so easy because I'm doing pretty much what I normally do so it doesn't "feel" like a challenge. Are the rules that naturals can wear their hair "out" as long as it isn't heat stretched? If so, why do I feel like I'm cheatin'? :perplexed

OP, can you clarify - Are we supposed to actually "hide" our hair under a hat/weave/other? Or just hiding the ends and not showing the actual length? This has just been so easy because I'm doing pretty much what I normally do so it doesn't "feel" like a challenge. Are the rules that naturals can wear their hair "out" as long as it isn't heat stretched? If so, why do I feel like I'm cheatin'? :perplexed

I'm not the OP but you dont have to hide your hair under a hat :lol: You cna hide your hair by wearing a weave or wig. But you dont have to use fake hair you can wear buns, updo, rollersets, etc. Basically any style that protects your ends.

Some members were saying that naturals already :hide" their hair because the shrinkage can prevent their hair from rubbing against their shoulders. HTH.

Basically not showing your actual length.

I put my hair in mini braids on friday. I do not like them at all. Actually, I like the fact that they're easy to deal with but it is like the ugliest style on me because I do not have a lot of hair (very thin).

I'm just unhappy with my hair right now. I hate the fact that I'll have to use fake hair just to look decent and that it's never going to change because I have naturally thin hair. Ugh.

Well, I'll be putting a weave in as soon as I can find some cheap hair.

I'm still keeping my hair conrowed under a wig. I may continue to hide my hair at least 3 months after the challenge is over. I'm retaining a lot of hair with this method and I really want to make it to BSL.

Back