He's buying me a claddagh ring...

Everything Zen

I'm moving 2 hours away in June and for our 1 year anniversary around that time, he wants to buy me an Irish claddagh ring. I feel so blessed to be with a man that talks of nothing but marriage and a family with me but insists on taking things slowly by properly courting me. I guess it's more of a promise ring since we will not see as much of each other. He's 36 and I'm 25. Even though we're older, I think it's sweet especially since he knows I've never been in a real relationship before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claddagh_ring

The guy who officiated our wedding was Irish and he had one of those rings as his wedding band, but I think it had something else on each side and he was telling me what each thing represented. I thought it was very unique and something I hadnt seen before.

That's great. I had never heard of this before, but it sounds really sweet. Congratulations! :yep:

Thank you! It seems like some kind of Irish tradition. A lot of Catholic girls I know wear used to wear theirs in high school to show if they were in a relationship or if they were spoken for. It depends on how it's worn on your hand that signifies this.

Depending on which hand you wear it on and which way you turn the design it can state what your relationship status is.

The right hand is saved for being single or just in a committed relationship.

The left hand is either engagement or marriage.

If you turn the design outward from the body it's the lesser commitment and if it's inward then it's the greater.

So Right hand + out = single
Right hand + in = committed relationship

Left hand + out = engaged
Left hand + in = married

I've always thought they were cute.

Cool! Did he say on which hand and towards what direction you should wear the ring?
Good question! I know we're planning on getting married but not for quite a while so I don't know if I want to wear it on the left hand just yet- besides I know he wants to do the whole engagement ring thing. I assume I'll wear it on the right with the heart facing inward.

Good question! I know we're planning on getting married but not for quite a while so I don't know if I want to wear it on the left hand just yet- besides I know he wants to do the whole engagement ring thing. I assume I'll wear it on the right with the heart facing inward.

I'd make the same assumption as you. I would take it a step further and have him put in on my finger...just to avoid confusion :grin:

I wasn't sure if he was Irish and it was a very important part of his roots. Or his did some research and thought the Irish tradition would be a sweet addition to your relationship. I have never heard of the ring. I am Catholic, I know you reference Catholic girls wearing the ring. They must of been Catholic Irish girls.

Yeah I guess he's pretty traditional, he had one as a kid and we were going to have that one resized but he wanted to buy me one with a birth stone. They have all kinds, even one made of multiple rings that go together like a puzzle. :yep:

Nice, congrats, Hon! I've always loved these rings and their meanings.

Irish, huh? some kinda sexxxy <---notice the triple x :wink2:

You always sound so happy about your relationship. I'm happy for you!

Yes, I'm a romantic.

Nice, congrats, Hon! I've always loved these rings and their meanings.

Irish, huh? some kinda sexxxy <---notice the triple x :wink2:

You always sound so happy about your relationship. I'm happy for you!

Yes, I'm a romantic.

Girl! :lachen::grin:
Yes I am blissfully happy!!! I guess only the future will tell but I just want to say to the ladies of the LHCF: When it's right. It's right- Hands Down. I wish all of you AT LEAST as much love and happiness as I am experienceing with my one and only.

Three cheers to love!!!

Back