Heat Training Support Thread

I traded my jibere for my mom's $30 something remington flat iron...cheepie but it straightens my hair better than the jibere.... go figure

Do you have to have long hair to heat train? I miss having strait hair and loathe having to wet it daily. I wonder if it is possible to heat train a TWA.

DDTexlaxed
You could probably use a pressing comb and curling iron (to style) easier than a flat iron or blow drying. Thats what I used (many moons ago) after a BC once I got about an inch or so.

HTH

Last edited:
this is what I'm using now and 320F setting ...it works well for me

s9951-prd2_allure.ashx

virtuenow- I use the Paul Mitchell flat iron which I actually love because it gets my hair super straight. I just think it was the nasty humidity that did a number on my hair, plus I was out by the lake that evening. I thought that Mizani thermasmooth anti-humidity spritz and KMS flat out humidity would have held me down but Lord I was WRONG! They can't hang in Louisiana. Anyway, I did my first oil rinse last Saturday and I'm going to give Nioxin Thermal Bliss Protector a try. Sunday I bought some ORS Humidity blocker and I've been using that, so far so good, and I also bought the Aveda anti-humectant today so I can't wait until my next wash and heat training session to see how it works. I'm going to flat iron my hair again and go out by the lake to see what happens....SIKE!!! That's too much hard work to mess up, lol.

I've heard GREAT thangs about that cheapie flat iron...imay have to give it a try....like i need ANOTHER flat iron!! lol

I flatironed last night. I did an oil rinse with some Hot Sixx, shampooed once with Mane and Tail and used.. hmm I think Hair One Argan Oil Mask for 15 mins. Rinsed out. Sprayed with Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin and used a little Paul Mitchell Serum to flat iron. My hair is growing but as usual I think it's toooooo thin. My texture is not "heavy" enough for me and I'm not sure how it will look as it gets longer.
th_side32911.jpg

th_back0329112.jpg

How many of you flat iron on air dried hair versus blow dried hair? I'm getting ready to start straightening every 2 weeks until it gets too hot outside. In the past, I would flat iron on airdried hair and I could get it bone straight but I'd have a bit of reversion by day 2 or 3. Someone told me blowdrying would prevent the reversion but I'm scared the combination of the blow dryer and flat iron may be too much heat?....Ok I guess I'm kind of just rambling to myself. I'll just blow dry and flat iron and start deep conditioning regularly....I guess.

I admit I'm impatient and I've attempted to view some of the "heat-training" vids but they are verbose and not succinctly put. What exactly is heat-training (specific method) and how does it differ from a professional press? In other words, using high heat to thermal press doesn't nec. result in fried/damaged hair. How often to apply heat after wash/dry to "train" hair texture? Several times weekly, monthly...what?? Wouldn't bkt be a form of heat training since so many who have stopped using it retain straighter ends?

Guitarhero

Brittany posted a video that was straight to the point and shows
exactly how she does it for her hair.

I don't know if it is still there but you might want to check out her
YouTube channel " Brittanynic " and do a search for "heat train" or
something like that.

In the video I'm thinking about, she explains the process she uses
and shows it on camera very succinctly.

PoisedNPolished
great will be the day when my ends smooth out like that! looks like relaxed hair!

LaFemmeNaturelle
idk if it counts, but i dry under my tabletop dryer. me and blowdryers don't get along-too much manipulation and breakage. the only big reversion problem i have is in the shower/bath when i don't cover my hairline well enough

Guitarhero
my personal definition of heat training is purposeful, gradual heat damage:lol: not much different from back in the day when women got their hair pressed on the regular. you can press weekly, monthly whatever. your regimen is up to you. i wash weekly and flat iron every other week. i think bkt really is heat training with chemicals. now that i've stopped using it, i've realized that's all it is. $200 a pop, fans, gloves, gas masks, etc. when i already have a flat iron:rolleyes:

@Guitarhero

Brittany posted a video that was straight to the point and shows
exactly how she does it for her hair.

I don't know if it is still there but you might want to check out her
YouTube channel " Brittanynic " and do a search for "heat train" or
something like that.

In the video I'm thinking about, she explains the process she uses
and shows it on camera very succinctly.

Sorry, I didn't have time to peruse a long video(s) and just wanted a few key points in a succinct response...it seems that it's an individuated type of process where you gradually arrive at the desired texture. There were several vids and if, within the first 2 min., the process is not laid out with anticipated results, I lost interest in viewing the whole for time constraints. I appreciate your response. :yep:

Last edited:
@Guitarhero
my personal definition of heat training is purposeful, gradual heat damage:lol: not much different from back in the day when women got their hair pressed on the regular. you can press weekly, monthly whatever. your regimen is up to you. i wash weekly and flat iron every other week. i think bkt really is heat training with chemicals. now that i've stopped using it, i've realized that's all it is. $200 a pop, fans, gloves, gas masks, etc. when i already have a flat iron:rolleyes:

Thank you for those pointers...it's just gradual "build-up" effect of the heat, maybe increasing the times you do it...Thanks much!!!!!

Sorry, I didn't have time to peruse a long video(s) and just wanted a few key points in a succinct response...it seems that it's an individuated type of process where you gradually arrive at the desired texture. There were several vids and if, within the first 2 min., the process is not laid out with anticipated results, I lost interest in viewing the whole for time constraints. I appreciate your response. :yep:

Guitarhero

Ok, maybe when/if you find some time, I think it's worth
it to take a look.

I think Brittanynic16 has three videos detailing the entire
process she uses. It seems very effective with consistent
results.

Good luck with whatever you decide :yep:

im actually working on a video about heat training now. i have a few videos that im working out so it might be a while.Im trying to make them kimmaytube quality:drunk:

im actually working on a video about heat training now. i have a few videos that im working out so it might be a while.Im trying to make them kimmaytube quality:drunk:

Hey Napp, I look forward to your video. Just be yourself, be original (i.e. not like Kimmaytube).

BUUUUUMMMMPPPP.... because I have a question lol...
For those who oil rinse before they straighten. I loved the way my hair felt after the oil rinse but then I shampooed once and deep conditioned. Is it possible for me to blow dry then flatiron right after the oil rinse?... Would I need a heat protectant if I did this. My hair felt heavier and I want to try this!

BUUUUUMMMMPPPP.... because I have a question lol...
For those who oil rinse before they straighten. I loved the way my hair felt after the oil rinse but then I shampooed once and deep conditioned. Is it possible for me to blow dry then flatiron right after the oil rinse?... Would I need a heat protectant if I did this. My hair felt heavier and I want to try this!

I did my oil rinse all out of order the other day b/c I didn't read the directions on how to do oil rinses :look:. I poo'd, dc'd, then oil rinsed. Most people poo, oil rinse, DC. So are saying you want to do an oil rinse without washing and conditioning and go straight to drying & flat ironing? Whatever you decide to do, I'd still recommend you use a heat protectant.

I've oil rinsed cowashed then air dried and flat ironed with oil as a leave in and no heat protectant. It was the best flat ironing job I ever did and I have a problem with flyaway hair.

Yes I did it out of order as well because I did it on DIRTY hair and then rinsed out/pooed/deep conditioned. I am going to try it in a few months letting the oil rinse be my last step and using a little heat protectant. I will let you all know what happens!

Tonight I washed with Aphogee shampoo for damaged hair, then did an oil rinse with castor oil and a mystery oil that I found in my cabinet :look:, then dc'd with KC Humecto. My hair came out so soft and easy to detangle. I'm currently under the dryer and I will flat iron in the morning before I go to church.

did another press friday. not important enough to post a pic(just go back to my last update, lol). my ends look a lil better this time, so i'm wondering where i messed up last press. i really can't wait for may to get here 'cause my uneven-ness in length is gettin annoying.

oh, i didn't oil rinse or add oil to my conditioner this time, so i got my usual airy sort of swing. i like the weight i get using oil, but not the greasiness. is there a comprimise? is that what makes pressing creme so good?

I just read Napp's post and her strange hair texture...mines like that in a large area in the crown, and the rest of my hair seems to be following suit. It's crazy. Seriously acting up these days. Might have to see a doctor...
Anyway, I decided to flat iron on a quite low heat before I DC and the conditioner actually sank in! So I think I'm going to CW in the week, then rinse and flat iron on wash days, and DC after that. My hair is still stiff and hard, but it feels smoother. Hopefully it'll get floppy as I go on.

One question, I can get my hair kinky straight using my flat iron at 60C, with about four passes, should I continue using this heat, or turn it up to speed the process a little? I'm not sure if you're supposed to get your hair bone straight while training

I've oil rinsed cowashed then air dried and flat ironed with oil as a leave in and no heat protectant. It was the best flat ironing job I ever did and I have a problem with flyaway hair.

I did something similar. I used JBCO as my oil for the oil rinse and co-washed with Suave Professionals (the Shea Butter one). It was still pretty oily... So I was worried.

I added a bit of Hana Shine Shield heat protectant, air dried some, then blow dried with a comb attachment, and flat ironed with my Hana Elite.
Best flat iron job so far. And no flyaways!

4a5992a4-d39d-243d.jpg

4a5992a4-d3d9-f97f.jpg

Back