Heat Training Support Thread

oh ok, thanks yall. i'm tired of my heat protectant. my hair gets so dry during heat week, so it reverts easily as it trys to find moisture in the air (bath/shower time sucks even though i cover up)

Heat protectants (those spray-like products) make my hair feel like straw. I think this may be because my hair texture is wiry.

I was in Houston lastweek and I couldn't travel with my apex. When I got there I bought a small jar of isoplus pressing oil. It worked well. Today I have zumba class... I sweat quite a bit but only my roots got a little puffy.... other than that my hair is fine... still straight and shiny.

pressing%20oil%2061.JPG

First of all POOHBEAR~* :lovedrool:
Off to stalk your album :giggle:
Ladies can the pressing oil be used for daily moisturizing or just when you press?
TIA

Last edited:
First of all POOHBEAR~* :lovedrool:

Can the pressing oil be used for daily moisturizing or just when you press?
TIA

It can be used to lubricate the hair but not moisturize, as, moisture can only be given from water (water-based product). When my hair is straight, I use a verrrrry light coating of grease everyday at night before I wrap my hair. You may not need to use it daily but if you do, use a verrrry light coating. Otherwise, your hair will get stiff and feel super greasy.

Have you all tried oil rinses before flat ironing yet??? It gives the best flat iron results I ever had. I do them with castor oil. For some sessions I rinse very, very well w/hot water; and other sessions I'm sure to leave some of the oil in. Either way my hair turns out super moist, easy to flat iron-- the iron just glides right thru-- w/the comb chase. I was never able to do that before w/o snagging or pulling hair out. It's an extra 2-3 min to your wash routine w/no hassle. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965

After I co-wash/oil rinse, then I spray nioxin Thermal Bliss Protector on each section and blowdry. Its the best heat protectant I ever tried b/c its a detangler and no cones or sticky-- strawlike feeling. I don't add anything else to hair, and proceed to flat iron. Well sometimes i add a little dab of castor oil to edges or crown before flat iron those sections but generally nothing else.

I used to do the satin creme pressing cream for flat irioning/pressing when I first went natural. It was ok; but never used the crisco (tehe), never would've thought of that. I thought I had used everything!

Last edited:
I was in Houston lastweek and I couldn't travel with my apex. When I got there I bought a small jar of isoplus pressing oil. It worked well. Today I have zumba class... I sweat quite a bit but only my roots got a little puffy.... other than that my hair is fine... still straight and shiny.

pressing%20oil%2061.JPG

I was just about to ask about this!! I couldn't find the ultra sheen in Sally so I had to go with this. I am going yo try it next week when I straighten again.

virtuenow

Yes! Yes! I forgot to mention this! I've been doing oil rinses
for the last 6 or 7 months using olive oil. Actually, this time
I forgot my olive oil Monday and didn't feel like going all the way to the
hall closet so I used my Proclaim argan oil treatment. If it wasn't
so much more expensive to use, I would stop using the olive oil!

Ok, chica, let's not turn this into the oil rinsing thread hahahaha

Have you all tried oil rinses before flat ironing yet??? It gives the best flat iron results I ever had. I do them with castor oil. For some sessions I rinse very, very well w/hot water; and other sessions I'm sure to leave some of the oil in. Either way my hair turns out super moist, easy to flat iron-- the iron just glides right thru-- w/the comb chase. I was never able to do that before w/o snagging or pulling hair out. It's an extra 2-3 min to your wash routine w/no hassle. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965

Not yet but I plan on trying it with this olive oil/castor oil mix that I made for my face which I do not use on my face anymore, so I need to a way to get rid of it, so I'll use it on my hair next time. :yep:

Hahh, I turn everything into an oil rinsing thread. That's how much I love them! I can go almost a full week w/o moisturizing when I flat iron. That's how good oil rinses hv been to me. (It locks the moisture in)...truly a blessing
virtuenow

Yes! Yes! I forgot to mention this! I've been doing oil rinses
for the last 6 or 7 months using olive oil. Actually, this time
I forgot my olive oil Monday and didn't feel like going all the way to the
hall closet so I used my Proclaim argan oil treatment. If it wasn't
so much more expensive to use, I would stop using the olive oil!

Ok, chica, let's not turn this into the oil rinsing thread hahahaha

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Hahh, I turn everything into an oil rinsing thread. That's how much I love them! I can go almost a full week w/o moisturizing when I flat iron. That's how good oil rinses hv been to me. (It locks the moisture in)...truly a blessing

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

virtuenow

Yes I know, I know! I remember your despair when you were
trying to figure out why your hair was so dry and it was making
detangling a nightmare :yep: I know you're happy now.

I'm also subscribed to the thread Sareca started about it and
guuuuurrrrrllll, when you tried it I could feel your joy through the
screen. My memory is not the best but I think that's what made
ME try it!

I do it every time whether I'm co-washing or full-on shampoo and I
love it.

It's basically a hot oil treatment which is always a good idea to do
if you want longer lasting moisturized hair.

In fact, I oil-rinsed on Monday and because I picked up my very
first jar of the Silk Elements DC, I want to wash my hair. But my
hair still feels sooooo goooooood... I don't want to start over
manipulating it :ohwell:

And I was gonna blow dry it to do twists until I saw Poohbear 's
post about how heat may be the reason her hair is misbehaving :nono:...

I'm wondering if she's oil rinsing. I can't remember.

(I luv her hair )

And I was gonna blow dry it to do twists until I saw Poohbear 's
post about how heat may be the reason her hair is misbehaving :nono:...

I'm wondering if she's oil rinsing. I can't remember.

(I luv her hair )
Kiki0130 - No, I haven't oil rinsed yet. I mentioned not doing it yet in a couple posts above in this thread. I think it's the flat-ironing with grease that is causing these splits on my hair strands. :cry:

If I want length, I'm going to have to sacrifice having a certain look for a while. I've been APL for too long.

I really don't think it's the blowdrying that's causing this damage either. I definitely think it's the flat-ironing because I'm pressing heat on sections of hair strands with two hot plates. It's like smashing my hair strands together and then scorching the ends. :perplexed

But maybe try blowdrying with cool air. That's what I'm going to try next time I wash my hair. My hair is straightened right now.

Poohbear , ok, I just scrolled up and saw what you said about oil
rinsing, lol

I also watched Torridiana777's video, thank so much. I'm subscribed to
her channel and saw this a long time ago. She has a point. Truth be
told, even Kimmay did that.

I've been on the fence about heat training but now I'm leaning more towards
the side where twisting it up and leaving it alone, at least for the spring/
summer sounds like a plan... I know I can't mess that up.

What are you planning to do? Protein treatments? Twists? Oil-rinsing can
only help, you know...

I just subscribed. I've officially decided to start my heat training journey. As of the last couple of weeks I'd started dabling with heat styling and I loved it but now I have to make it official.

Do you have to have long hair to heat train? I miss having strait hair and loathe having to wet it daily. I wonder if it is possible to heat train a TWA.

Do you have to have long hair to heat train? I miss having strait hair and loathe having to wet it daily. I wonder if it is possible to heat train a TWA.

How long is it? I am pretty sure you can heat train any length but it may not look how you want if there is not enough length to style it.

Good evening ladies. I haven't read through all 12 pages, however I do have a question. For those of you who live in humid climates what products are you using to keep your hair from frizzing up? Yesterday I flat ironed my hair and it came out so straight and pretty but as soon as I stepped out it reverted. I have a ton of humidity blocking products that doesn't work. TIA

Good evening ladies. I haven't read through all 12 pages, however I do have a question. For those of you who live in humid climates what products are you using to keep your hair from frizzing up? Yesterday I flat ironed my hair and it came out so straight and pretty but as soon as I stepped out it reverted. I have a ton of humidity blocking products that doesn't work. TIA

I have been using Aveda Anti-Humectant Pomade and so far so good, I have been gtting my flat iron job to last at least a week. This is the only thing that has done that for m since living here, so I think its a winner.

Poohbear , ok, I just scrolled up and saw what you said about oil
rinsing, lol

I also watched Torridiana777's video, thank so much. I'm subscribed to
her channel and saw this a long time ago. She has a point. Truth be
told, even Kimmay did that.

I've been on the fence about heat training but now I'm leaning more towards
the side where twisting it up and leaving it alone, at least for the spring/
summer sounds like a plan... I know I can't mess that up.

What are you planning to do? Protein treatments? Twists? Oil-rinsing can
only help, you know...
Kiki0130 - No more heat training for me. My hair texture stayed the same throughout all the straightening sessions I have done so far. Right now, my hair is straightened, and I'm thinking about washing it out this week. I'm already tired of it and ready to start off with this new routine. Before washing it, I'm going to trim it and then try an oil rinse. Then I will shampoo, deep condition, detangle, and style my hair in two strand twists with a bang of twists in the front and a bun of twists at the crown of my head. ;)

When I flat iron, I use Fantasia IC's heat protective serum, it helps block frizz too. But also, what temp are you flat ironing at? I've worn my hair straight in Miami and the Bahamas with little reversion, but I have to flat iron at 400 degrees for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Kiki0130 - No more heat training for me. My hair texture stayed the same throughout all the straightening sessions I have done so far. Right now, my hair is straightened, and I'm thinking about washing it out this week. I'm already tired of it and ready to start off with this new routine. Before washing it, I'm going to trim it and then try an oil rinse. Then I will shampoo, deep condition, detangle, and style my hair in two strand twists with a bang of twists in the front and a bun of twists at the crown of my head. ;)

Poohbear

May I tell you a secret? I'm so happy about your decision! That style
will be super cute on you! Best thing you've done so far was to take
time to make a serious evaluation of your hair and your methods. That's
something we should all be doing on a regular basis.

Poohbear

May I tell you a secret? I'm so happy about your decision! That style
will be super cute on you! Best thing you've done so far was to take
time to make a serious evaluation of your hair and your methods. That's
something we should all be doing on a regular basis.

Thanks Kiki0130. I really haven't been worrying about the health of my hair throughout the 5 years I have been natural. I've just been caught up in doing different natural hair styles as well as wearing my natural hair straightened. I wanted length but wasn't doing healthy hair practices consistently in order to retain that length. So now, it's really time for me to leave my hair alone so it can retain length and be more healthy. :)

I flat iron at 320... One pass is usually enough for the front of my hair where the curls are looser.... the back I may do 2 passes..but no more than that.

@theFAB I had to get a better flat iron, that means 100% ceramic. The only two I could find were the FHI Runway and the Hana Elite. I went with the latter, and boy did it make a difference. Also, I had to use a higher heat-- 420-450 degrees (I have strong, thick, heat resistant 4b strands). I use a better heat protectant now also, Nioxin Thermal Bliss Protector; and oil rinses helped w/the moisture factor. So all of these things together make a much, much better flat iron that lasts out the door and then some.

Poohbear, were u using a flatiron or hotcomb (what kind)? what heat level were you using on the to heat train; and how often (daily/weekly/monthly)? How many passes approx? I hope to avoid any split end issues and want to learn from your experience if possible! Did you use a heat protectant; did you do any mild-moderate protein treatments before heat use? Thanks in advance for any q's u can answer/

Last edited:
Back