Heat Training Support Thread

Love this thread :yep: ! Giving it all sirius thought.

I don't know if this was posted before but this Youtuber demos the old way to use a pressing comb, using the back of the iron and the curve. She also does an oil rinse before pressing . This is how I used to press also using a cloth during the process. The curling method using the comb is something I never tried but I was definitely partial to the flip :lol:

YouTube - FOREVER STRAIGHT PART 2: How I press my hair

I didn't flat iron as planned last night. After I blow dried I got tired... my hair gets semi- straight when I blow dry so it's easy to style. I'm about to go to work so I just put it up in a hairzing

I flat ironed my hair yesterday before church and the results didn't come out nearly as good as they did last week. Next wash I'm to add oil to my dc, sit under the dryer until I'm 90% dry, blow dry the rest, then flat iron. I'm going to keep trying different methods until I get it right.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF App

BBBBUUUMMMMPPP!!!

What's going on ladies? Well today was hair day for me since I didn't do it over the weekend. I'm loving castor oil rinses. They are the BOMB.com! After shampoo washing, I basically conditioned with castor oil for about 1 hr, then I rinsed it out, dc'd for another hr w/ Kenra and more castor oil and detailing was a breeze. Don't get me wrong, I still encountered kinks but overall, it was a breeze. I decided not to heat train this week, I did a flexi rod set which will probably look a hot mess b/c I didn't feel like doing it. I think I'm going to make an appt w/ a natural hair professional to get my hair pressed and layered really soon.

hey i kinda fell of the heat training bandwagon.im a little unhappy with the way my hair looks alltogether. even though my hair is heat trained the texture of the strands remains the same which is my issue with my natural hair. im a little pissed off. i was fine with my hair when i was keeping it straight but now when i wear non heat styles i get really frustrated because my hair isnt cooperative.:sad: im thinking of relaxing.

hey i kinda fell of the heat training bandwagon.im a little unhappy with the way my hair looks alltogether. even though my hair is heat trained the texture of the strands remains the same which is my issue with my natural hair. im a little pissed off. i was fine with my hair when i was keeping it straight but now when i wear non heat styles i get really frustrated because my hair isnt cooperative.:sad: im thinking of relaxing.

how long have you been doing this, cause this is exactly what's been goin on with my hair that i was just about to post on!

my texture really is loosening, but not to that wavy look like brittany's & longhairdontcare's. it's just a looser version of what it normally is. i need to flood brittany's utube inbox again (sorryy girl!:drunk:) to see at what point her hair waved up. maybe i haven't been training long enough?

i don't even know what texture i'm aiming for anymore, if i'm even aiming. i just want my hair to hang, so when i get to bsl (8" from now:sad:) it'll just lay, but be big and textured.

i've got coconut oil/ humectress in right now, about to press it, but i want to post some pics of the texture real quick. i hope you can see clearly. oh, i trimmed my hair a month early. the uneveness was driving me crazy. it's all (more or less) even 5 3/4"

Attachments

• 41311-nanaclip.jpg
    41311-nanaclip.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 41411text.jpg
    41411text.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
my texture really is loosening, but not to that wavy look like brittany's & longhairdontcare's. it's just a looser version of what it normally is. i need to flood brittany's utube inbox again (sorryy girl!:drunk:) to see at what point her hair waved up. maybe i haven't been training long enough?

I been wondering the same thing, I have started to heat training in late November of 2010 and I haven't seen much loosening. I don't even know how loose i want it.. I don't think i want it that loose just wondering when it will start loosening up more. I blow dry and flat iron every 7-10 for 5 months now, and not seeing much difference. I would love to know the answer to that question also

me-T, I think Brittanynic16 and LongHairDontCare2011 may have thicker hair strands than some who may be experiencing problems with heat training. And even though their hair type may be 4a, their curl pattern may not have been as tight as yours, mine, or Napp's before they first started heat training. Not sure, just throwing out some thoughts.

how long have you been doing this, cause this is exactly what's been goin on with my hair that i was just about to post on!

i don't even know what texture i'm aiming for anymore, if i'm even aiming. i just want my hair to hang, so when i get to bsl (8" from now:sad:) it'll just lay, but be big and textured.

i've got coconut oil/ humectress in right now, about to press it, but i want to post some pics of the texture real quick. i hope you can see clearly. oh, i trimmed my hair a month early. the uneveness was driving me crazy. it's all (more or less) even 5 3/4"

i have been heat training since nov 2009. i stopped like last month.i wasnt trying to loosen my crl thought. it was just easier to manage because my hair accepted moisture better after using heat. i think i am gonna get my hair braided or something.let someone else deal with my hair for a change.

also i got very nice results when i used nunaat keratin reconstructor. it doesnt really loosen my curls like i thought but it really prevents reversion when straight plus i get more swang then i ever got with oil plus my hair feels stronger after using it. it might be a keeper:look:

my texture has definitely gotten looser........it's now wavy especially at the front. I only started seeing a difference when I started straightening with apex.

Last edited:
for yesterday evening's press, i tried the tension blowdry for the first time, and ya'll, it is a STAPLE! yes the yelling! my hair got sooo straight, but the only problem with that is, the straighter my hair is, the flatter, thinner it looks. makes me wanna grow my layers out to help a little but. but ya'll, i got the least amount of breakage i ever had during any flat iron session ever. EVER ya'll! i also only needed 1 pass everywhere. usually i have to do 2 in the thicker areas. the thinner areas had me wishin i could do half a pass:lachen:
so much better than blowdrying with an attachment or brush, and just drying my fro under the table top dryer is just dumb:lol: Pic time! i tried out a faux bob, trying to get it to look assymetrical. i did alright, i think

Attachments

• 41411press.jpg
    41411press.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 41411fauxbob1.jpg
    41411fauxbob1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 41411fauxbob2.jpg
    41411fauxbob2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 81
my texture has definitely gotten looser........it's now wavy especially at the front. I only started seeing a difference when I started straightening with apex.

When you used the apex did you use the temp you usually use to straigthen.i think this might be the frying effect ppl talk about when usin g grease to straighten.i personally got hair that loosened in my bangs and nape too much when i used 400 while flat ironing my hair with a ton of apex and CON argan oil. in it. my hair sizzled as well which it doesnt do when i use low temps.this is part of what happened in my mishap in dec. That is why i said if you are going to press with oil you need to lower the temperature if you want to keep your curl. Your hair will get just as straight.

After time has past my hair curls better but its not 100% the same.my hair is actually curlier after the nunaat reconstructor becuase i did a bkt recently and the loose parts got straight and now i cant even find them when i tried.the rest of my hair wasnt affected but the parts that loosend are the parts that were loose to begin with.

When you used the apex did you use the temp you usually use to straigthen.i think this might be the frying effect ppl talk about when usin g grease to straighten.i personally got hair that loosened in my bangs and nape too much when i used 400 while flat ironing my hair with a ton of apex and CON argan oil. in it. my hair sizzled as well which it doesnt do when i use low temps.this is part of what happened in my mishap in dec. That is why i said if you are going to press with oil you need to lower the temperature if you want to keep your curl. Your hair will get just as straight.

After time has past my hair curls better but its not 100% the same.my hair is actually curlier after the nunaat reconstructor becuase i did a bkt recently and the loose parts got straight and now i cant even find them when i tried.the rest of my hair wasnt affected but the parts that loosend are the parts that were loose to begin with.

I use grease and flat iron on 395. Mu curl pattern has not changed but I notice that lower temps (lower than 350) will not get my hair straight at all and 350-375 gets it poofy straight and I have to go over it wth a higher temp. At 395, I'm able to get my hair bone straight with 1-2 passes.

I use grease and flat iron on 395. Mu curl pattern has not changed but I notice that lower temps (lower than 350) will not get my hair straight at all and 350-375 gets it poofy straight and I have to go over it wth a higher temp. At 395, I'm able to get my hair bone straight with 1-2 passes.

Im sure it was different Circumstances.i had a TON of oil in my hair plus my hair audiably sizzled.im putting that out there cuz im not tryna have people say i never said anything. Plus i used more than 2 passes..there is more to the story....i just didnt give a fug!
Lol

Im sure it was different Circumstances.i had a TON of oil in my hair plus my hair audiably sizzled.im putting that out there cuz im not tryna have people say i never said anything. Plus i used more than 2 passes..there is more to the story....i just didnt give a fug!
Lol

lmao yeah it couldve been alot of other factors. I didn't use a ton of grease. Just a dab. My hair could also be resistant and there was no sizzling lol I also used a protein leave in and you used another oil so yeah I could see how you cooked your hair.

I'm getting ready to blowdry using the tension method. I hope its worth my time!

ETA my pics after blowdrying. Took about 45-60 mins Idk didnt time it.

Mane-vi.jpg

Mane2-vi.jpg

Last edited:
lmao yeah it couldve been alot of other factors. I didn't use a ton of grease. Just a dab. My hair could also be resistant and there was no sizzling lol I also used a protein leave in and you used another oil so yeah I could see how you cooked your hair.

I'm getting ready to blowdry using the tension method. I hope its worth my time!

Mane-vi.jpg

Mane2-vi.jpg

I love your hair! Its so healthy and thick. :yep:

Mane-vi.jpg

Mane2-vi.jpg

It looks so thick! How often do you flat iron?

in response to when i asked brittany at what point her texture waved up, she said it changes everytime. not sure how to interpret that.

It looks so thick! How often do you flat iron?

I've only flat ironed 4 times since Thanksgiving and I'm going to flat iron again next week. I'm debating on if I should start blowdrying after each wash (every two weeks). I saw that my hair broke less after I blowdried than when I airdry.

I am seriously thinking about texlaxing. I have to do too much work to get the desired look. I am not going to do this until I reach my goal of one year post relaxer. Right now, I am missing the strait look. No matter what I try my hair won't get strait, no matter how much heat I use.:nono: I'm giving up this battle.:ohwell:

in response to when i asked brittany at what point her texture waved up, she said it changes everytime. not sure how to interpret that.

I don't know how to interpret that either. Are you following her method to a tee? Your hair may just be very resistant. I know from experience that my hair is resistant so while I know I won't see a change in curl pattern, I will be able to train my hair to stay straight longer.

I think I may be considering heat training in the near future. My relaxers barely take anymore since I've been texlaxing every 6 months and I can get my 5-month NG pretty darn straight with a flat iron, so I'll be lurking in here.

I'm going get my hair flat ironed and layered tomorrow. The girl who will be doing it is natural. I'm so nervous about letting someone else touch my hair.

Back