Heat Training Support Thread

What are you all putting in your hair after you wash, before you blow dry?

ceecy29,

I apply Mane N Tail Conditioner before blowdrying my hair:
ManeNTail_Conditioner.jpg

i ended up washing out my press early. i got caught in the rain 2X and then i got wet from the shower because someone didnt close the knob:rolleyes:

i dont know what to do with my hair now. i feel like i want to try wearing my hair straight 90% of the time but if i am going to wear it straight that often i think i would get damage from using direct heat very often(for me more than 1x a month)

im thinking of rollersetting for straight hair and just pressing the roots every 1-2 weeks. that way i can protien treat more often too. my hair seems to feel thicker and stronger with reg protein treats and my goal is to have maximum thickness.

also does is this heat training thread for naturals who straighten more than 50% of the time. i feel like the straight hair naturals support thread is full of people who occasionally straighten.:look:

the thing is about pressing oil is that you do not need as high as a temperature to straighten the hair so there will be no frying. if you hear sizzling the temperature is too hot.

i actually went back and put a little apex and went over it with the hot comb. one pass on low temparature. my hair is shinier,has tons of body and movement and i can lift it and it falls down. before, if i lifted it it would only fall halfway and stick out. I LURVES my grease. the key is a light hand and less heat. using grease does not have to be like back in the day where you had heavy,greasy burnt smelling hair.

good news! im getting my new camera next week. so next time i will post a pictorial or maybe a YT video in this thread.(if i have time):grin:

The bolded please. I pray you have time :grin:

i ended up washing out my press early. i got caught in the rain 2X and then i got wet from the shower because someone didnt close the knob:rolleyes:

i dont know what to do with my hair now. i feel like i want to try wearing my hair straight 90% of the time but if i am going to wear it straight that often i think i would get damage from using direct heat very often(for me more than 1x a month)

im thinking of rollersetting for straight hair and just pressing the roots every 1-2 weeks. that way i can protien treat more often too. my hair seems to feel thicker and stronger with reg protein treats and my goal is to have maximum thickness.

also does is this heat training thread for naturals who straighten more than 50% of the time. i feel like the straight hair naturals support thread is full of people who occasionally straighten.:look:

I know what you mean. I straighten weekly....

Wow Val your hair came out great! I'm about to order some Apex. How are your roots doing with reversion since using Apex? I flat ironed yesterday and was able to get my edges really straight with a new 1/2" iron I bought but I was sweating in the head a lot last night and there went my edges. Hoping Apex keeps them straight.

@βεℓℓα,
I believe letting your hair airdry in braids and then blowdrying is what's causing breakage!!!

I have 4a/b hair and if I let my hair airdry in braids before blowdrying, I'm going to see alot of breakage too!

See, airdrying in braids really doesn't stretch my hair out good enough to blowdry. Airdrying can also make type 4 hair brittle. So I blowdry my hair when wet/damp after applying a good amount of Mane N Tail Conditioner to each section. I also use either a brush or comb attachment with my blowdryer.

So after washing your hair, but your hair into 8 detangled sections. Unravel a section, apply whatever product you want to use, then blowdry holding that section stretched out as you run the blowdryer through your hair. Do not let go of the section or it will shrink right back up.

Blowdrying through shrunken coiled up dry hair is what causes the breakage.

Hope that helps.

Good tip!:yep:

Wow Val your hair came out great! I'm about to order some Apex. How are your roots doing with reversion since using Apex? I flat ironed yesterday and was able to get my edges really straight with a new 1/2" iron I bought but I was sweating in the head a lot last night and there went my edges. Hoping Apex keeps them straight.

My roots are still straight. I straigthened on Saturday night and so far so good. I'm hoping it lasts the full week. Apex is cheap too..the 16oz jar is only 6.99 (at least where I got it). I have a regular jibere flat iron and I just had the settings dial turned midway.

Great thread! Lately i have been fighting myself to keep my hair natural, but it just looks really nice straighten and feels good too:grin:.... plus my natural hair ends keep getting fairy knots!!!!:wallbash:..... the only thing now is that i have to learn to take care of my straight hair again without split ends. ive decided to do like some of you guys: flat iron my hair 2x a month. wear it straight for 2 weeks and natural for 1... now i can have the best of both worlds:dance7:

No I don't recommend the DB for training the hair. I don't there would be enough control with blowouts. It is important that you know what it took for your hair to get to the new texture so that you can repeat it as new hair comes in.

Funny you say this! I am almost 7 mos post-dont know if I'm going natural or not! The girl that cut all my hair off did do a heck of a blowout-but the shower is what gets me-right around the edges...I plan to start working out soooo I dont know what to do!

Even though the blowout is great! I don't feel right giving a stylist that much control over my hair for fear that I will become dependent on her! I cant deal with the whole dependent on a stylist thing anymore!

I just had to come back and say thank you for that Apex tip. It's day 4 since I flat ironed and only now I see and feel slight reversion in my roots. It's still very soft though and I'm not going to touch up.

It just rained a little while ago so I'm hoping there will be no rain tomorrow... the forecast says there will be but I'm hoping I'll be in my office by the time it comes down :lol: When I walked in to work on Monday my boss asked if I was wearing a wig. She told me how beautiful it was and she said "it's amazing the things you can do with your hair"

I can't wait to wash my hair this weekend to see if my curls return.

I have just recently decided to heat train my hair after three years of growing my hair out naturally curly (4a), I wanted to add that the other day I actually got a trim after I blow dried and straightened my hair....THE BEST DECISION. Let me explain why. I have had my hair in a naturally curly state for so long that I was unable to see the damage from all the split ends and bad ends that I had overall, I was also able to even out my hair that will begin to grow out! It feels sooo much better than before. When I first went in, the lady told me that my ends were pretty bad...and I could believe her. I have been struggling with my hair for the past 3 years as far as detangling and such.... So if there are any ladies on here that may have a similar story to mine....maybe your ends are hard and crunchy and hard to lay...you may consider getting your BT (big trim)...it was helpful for me.
OH...I used to trim my own hair...Professionals know what they are doing.... I am coming off my high horse finally. It was so worth the 14 dollars to get it done properly. ESPECIALLY trimming!!!! Just make sure you tell them what YOU want done to YOUR hair!!!

I just had to come back and say thank you for that Apex tip. It's day 4 since I flat ironed and only now I see and feel slight reversion in my roots. It's still very soft though and I'm not going to touch up.

It just rained a little while ago so I'm hoping there will be no rain tomorrow... the forecast says there will be but I'm hoping I'll be in my office by the time it comes down :lol: When I walked in to work on Monday my boss asked if I was wearing a wig. She told me how beautiful it was and she said "it's amazing the things you can do with your hair"

I can't wait to wash my hair this weekend to see if my curls return.

I am itching to try this Apex now. Where can you purchase it?

Is there a certain length you should wait to get to before you begin heat training?? I would like to start. How many times per week are some of you ladies using heat??

I am itching to try this Apex now. Where can you purchase it?

I purchased my first jar earlier this week at the bss. However, if you are unable to find it locally you can purchase it from various online retailers. The one's that I can think of off the top of my head are beautyofnewyork.com and ebay.com.

Last edited:
I used the electric pressing comb when I first went natural. They dont get hot enough for my hair. Even on the highest heat, my hair looks like a blow out and reverts very fast. I still have 2 of them, probably time to sell

I pressed my hair today after three weeks. I get to the salon and my stylist forgot to tell me that she will be out of the town this weekend sigh (what to do what to do).:perplexed
Anyway, the older lady hooked me up. I think my hair is showing some progress, I hope.
There is a little story I wanted to mention.:rolleyes: (hope I dont offend:blush:, I just couldnt believe it)
Anywho, another stylist in the shop goes to the restroom to blow her nose and she didnt even wash her hands. You are already in the restroom geez. How could she do that? She went right back to her customer.:nono: Couldnt believe it.

I used the electric pressing comb when I first went natural. They dont get hot enough for my hair. Even on the highest heat, my hair looks like a blow out and reverts very fast. I still have 2 of them, probably time to sell

Yup same here. I cannot get my hair silky straight with an electric pressing comb.:nono:

I finally washed my hair this morning and I'm sitting infront the tv with palmers coconut protein in my hair.

My curls came back with no problems by my second shampoo ...YAY

welp i first wanted to say im jumping up and down in my seat:yay:lol i posted a thread earlier asking for help or advice b/c i was thinking abt leaving team natural b/c im not 2 found of my shrinkage when my hair gets wet so heat training seems like the thing to do ! =) I have a couple questions though, pardon me if they were already asked & answer

I understand everyone is different but approx. how long does it take for your hair to be heat trained?

what is a recommended heat protectant ?
thanks & advance

Try using your choice of heat protectant on damp hair, blow dry your hair and then use crisco as your pressing oil. It doesn't take a ton, a lil dab per section will do. You'll be surprised. And an 8 oz jar of crisco goes for $1-$2 and will last you for several months, even if you press/flat iron weekly.

picture.php

picture.php

My daughter is 19 months post relaxer and has made APL and this is all I do to her hair.

Attachments

• 165156_191587074187814_100000095688075_713083_5953482_n.jpg
    165156_191587074187814_100000095688075_713083_5953482_n.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 225
  • Photo on 2010-11-09 at 19.01.jpg
    Photo on 2010-11-09 at 19.01.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Photo on 2010-11-09 at 19.02 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-11-09 at 19.02 #2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
welp i first wanted to say im jumping up and down in my seat:yay:lol i posted a thread earlier asking for help or advice b/c i was thinking abt leaving team natural b/c im not 2 found of my shrinkage when my hair gets wet so heat training seems like the thing to do ! =) I have a couple questions though, pardon me if they were already asked & answer

I understand everyone is different but approx. how long does it take for your hair to be heat trained?

thanks & advance

Hi again, just saw your hair typing thread. This link has a lot of the info you need to know to know w/tutorials on how to heat train. It is very informative, take a look at the heat train videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Brittanynic16

By the way, she is a member here and started this thread. Brittanynic said it shoudl take about 3-4 sessions before you see results. So, if you heat train once per week, then you should start seeing results around the 3rd or 4th week.

The best heat protectant I have ever encountered is Nioxin Thermal Bliss Protector. I was trying to get away from those sticky/coney serums that tend to dry my hair out...and I found it. It's also a great detangler-- just spray on your wet hair (section by section), then blowdry, then flat iron

Last edited:

thanks & advance

Here's a video using the process MyAngelEyez talks about in
case you or anyone was wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yg4IqoVooE

I won't use any other "pressing cream" :yep:

Back