Heat Training Support Thread

i think protein is very important especially for ones that want to keep their curl. i like to spray on duo tex right on the pressed hair to make it revert and let it sit. this for me gives max reversion. plus it makes my hair feel oh so good!

Good to know. I've always wondered whether protein was okay on "dirty" hair i.e not freshly washed hair.

@Napp What is this apex and where did you get it? TIA(haven't had time to go through the whole thread yet)

apex is a pressing oil aka grease,. the ingredients are petroleum,lanolin and fragrance. so far i havent used anything that gives me swingable pin straight hair i can wear down other than that.

i am currently trying out nioxin thermal bliss. so far its ok but i wont be able to wear my hair down this go around. i am going to try and work with it because reneice uses it and her clients hair is the bomb.com

Good to know. I've always wondered whether protein was okay on "dirty" hair i.e not freshly washed hair.

i dont know if all protein is "ok" but duo tex is kind of interesting. i feel like it cleanses the hair too which is why i apply it this way. when i do it on dirty hair my hair feels clean after i rinse it out. i also never feel the need to follow up with a moisturizing dc.i lubs me some duo tex:lick:

i think protein is very important especially for ones that want to keep their curl. i like to spray on duo tex right on the pressed hair to make it revert and let it sit. this for me gives max reversion. plus it makes my hair feel oh so good!

i tried the nioxin thermal bliss today. i got much better results for a dry press but i think next time i will airdry with it on rather than spray it it on right before flat ironing.

At what point in your proces do you spray on the Duotex

i spray it on when i an going to wash my press out. i divide my hair in 4 and spray it on each section until i see the curl come back. then i let it sit and rinse.

im thinking of mixing it with a little mane n tail so it wont be so drippy.

Crisco shortening makes a great pressing oil! I am so impressed, it is my mainstay. I will consider Nioxin Thermal BLiss as a heat protectant, thanks, Napp.

Napp

Thank you so much for this. Does it make your hair hard?

I looked at APEX last week. I am going to puck some up when I press my DD's hair to try more styles that require sleeker hair. She is my guinea pig. The reason the hair stays straight with this grease is because of the lanolin

I just heat trained my NG in the back I will know by this evening if I need to touch it up or if the amount of passes I did were sufficient.

@Napp

Thank you so much for this. Does it make your hair hard?

I looked at APEX last week. I am going to puck some up when I press my DD's hair to try more styles that require sleeker hair. She is my guinea pig. The reason the hair stays straight with this grease is because of the lanolin

I just heat trained my NG in the back I will know by this evening if I need to touch it up or if the amount of passes I did were sufficient.

i never had hard hair with duotex except the time where i blowdryed it in like an aphogee treatment. when i rinse it out my hair seems smooth, silky and really strong and durable. not hard or dry like with aphogee. my hair likes protein too...

here is an old thread for some good readin'
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=97679&highlight=duotex+relaxer

also when you use the pressing oil make sure you use it lightly. you only need a TINY amount per section.

I seriously need some help, ladies.

Please talk me down from the ledge. I'm considering going back to relaxing because my hair texture is just too much. I really don't know what to do.

I am a true 4b, and my hair is about SL stretched. How in the world are you guys manipulating your hair without all the breakage? What am I doing wrong?

I wash and condition, then braid my hair to air dry. Then I apply some shea butter, blow dry and proceed to flat iron. My hair breaks at every stage! It's really unnerving.

I've straightened my hair today, but now I feel that it is 1000% pointless. I work out everyday, and my hair reverts fast the second some moisture touches it. I don't want my hair to shrink b/c it tangles and breaks, but I can't wear it straight b/c I workout and nothing can save it. Twists, braids, etc, etc are NOT the look that I want. I'm burned out on them.

Please tell me it gets easier...my hair looks and acts just like velcro.
@Bella - I am in Hotlanta and I do regular steam treatments. There is a sticky on how to do at home steam treatments. I find this helps with reversion. I am on week two of my last press out AND I have not changed how hot my showers are. Note: I don't do not press my own hair. I go to a professional every 4 to 6 weeks and I can keep my press for 3 weeks. :-) My texture is kinky/curly :-)

Edited to add pics of my hair natural and flat ironed.
My curly 'fro Sep 2010 and my press out from Feb 18, 2011

Attachments

• Hair pic 2_2010.09.jpg
    Hair pic 2_2010.09.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 2011Feb21-3.jpeg
    2011Feb21-3.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I am glad I found this thread. I have been struggling with a regimen for a year now.Going completely natural equals major breakage for me. :sad:
Getting a relaxer causes me grief and anxiety issues, so thats out. I think my last relaxer was June'10.
Anywho, so for the last three months I have been getting my hair pressed every 3wks. My stylist 'warned':ohwell: me that I had better not do anything to my hair for 3 wks. Well, she scared me the first month.(ok first two months:lol:)
I thought the natural curlys were going to take over and destroy my life. I love daily cowashing too much, so I am back to cowashing and my hair is quite managable, I am surprised. So I will keep it pressed for a week cowashing for the next two. I am just happy that I finally have found something that I think will work for me.:yep:

i think i want a little more texture than brittany. like if that's a 3b, then i'll go for a 3c, or maybe 3c/4a

@makemild Your hair looks great. Are you heat-trained?
@Sherae Thanks! I think I am heat trained. I don't think my hair has radically changed since I still have tons of curls. However, it is easier to get my hair straight. Sometimes I only get my hair blow dried and don't get it pressed out.

In addition, I don't have issues with reversion. I can sweat a little and not have my hair turn into a puff. When it's time to get it curly, I pre-poo with EVOO for an hour or less, then I Conditioner - rinse,
Shampoo - rinse,
Conditioner plus Coconut oil - detangle - twist - light rinse.

HHG

Dang Napp you got me lookin' up Apex now, lol. I usually am anti oil right before using direct heat but man relaxer straight roots sounds good (roots are where I struggle). I was reading old post about using oil to press/flat iron and people were saying it's like frying your hair but most of our parents (including mine) used grease to press and I know my hair was thick and had no problem retaining. Maybe I could use a bit of Apex under my Sabino L&B.

Dang Napp you got me lookin' up Apex now, lol. I usually am anti oil right before using direct heat but man relaxer straight roots sounds good (roots are where I struggle). I was reading old post about using oil to press/flat iron and people were saying it's like frying your hair but most of our parents (including mine) used grease to press and I know my hair was thick and had no problem retaining. Maybe I could use a bit of Apex under my Sabino L&B.

the thing is about pressing oil is that you do not need as high as a temperature to straighten the hair so there will be no frying. if you hear sizzling the temperature is too hot.

i actually went back and put a little apex and went over it with the hot comb. one pass on low temparature. my hair is shinier,has tons of body and movement and i can lift it and it falls down. before, if i lifted it it would only fall halfway and stick out. I LURVES my grease. the key is a light hand and less heat. using grease does not have to be like back in the day where you had heavy,greasy burnt smelling hair.

good news! im getting my new camera next week. so next time i will post a pictorial or maybe a YT video in this thread.(if i have time):grin:

the thing is about pressing oil is that you do not need as high as a temperature to straighten the hair so there will be no frying. if you hear sizzling the temperature is too hot.

i actually went back and put a little apex and went over it with the hot comb. one pass on low temparature. my hair is shinier,has tons of body and movement and i can lift it and it falls down. before, if i lifted it it would only fall halfway and stick out. I LURVES my grease. the key is a light hand and less heat. using grease does not have to be like back in the day where you had heavy,greasy burnt smelling hair.

good news! im getting my new camera next week. so next time i will post a pictorial or maybe a YT video in this thread.(if i have time):grin:

@bolded ok I see. Makes sense.

OK this is amazing. Let me preface this my saying that I've had my hair "professionally" straightened twice before and I left the salon with a poofy mess both times.

Well yesterday I got the apex pressing oil .....my bff who spent the weekend with me was super excited to do my hair. It took a couple hours to complete but she did an amazing job. My hair looked like I got a relaxer. I even wrapped my hair lastnight...something I was never able to do when I straightening my hair previously.

I didn't take pics lastnight because it was late and I was tired by the time we were done. I'll take a pic some time today.

Last edited:
184813_556940041520_98903524_31228016_832164_n.jpg

backstraight-vi.jpg

183163_556940575450_98903524_31228021_5733666_n.jpg

βεℓℓα,
I believe letting your hair airdry in braids and then blowdrying is what's causing breakage!!!

I have 4a/b hair and if I let my hair airdry in braids before blowdrying, I'm going to see alot of breakage too!

See, airdrying in braids really doesn't stretch my hair out good enough to blowdry. Airdrying can also make type 4 hair brittle. So I blowdry my hair when wet/damp after applying a good amount of Mane N Tail Conditioner to each section. I also use either a brush or comb attachment with my blowdryer.

So after washing your hair, but your hair into 8 detangled sections. Unravel a section, apply whatever product you want to use, then blowdry holding that section stretched out as you run the blowdryer through your hair. Do not let go of the section or it will shrink right back up.

Blowdrying through shrunken coiled up dry hair is what causes the breakage.

Hope that helps.
I seriously need some help, ladies.

Please talk me down from the ledge. I'm considering going back to relaxing because my hair texture is just too much. I really don't know what to do.

I am a true 4b, and my hair is about SL stretched. How in the world are you guys manipulating your hair without all the breakage? What am I doing wrong?

I wash and condition, then braid my hair to air dry. Then I apply some shea butter, blow dry and proceed to flat iron. My hair breaks at every stage! It's really unnerving.

I've straightened my hair today, but now I feel that it is 1000% pointless. I work out everyday, and my hair reverts fast the second some moisture touches it. I don't want my hair to shrink b/c it tangles and breaks, but I can't wear it straight b/c I workout and nothing can save it. Twists, braids, etc, etc are NOT the look that I want. I'm burned out on them.

Please tell me it gets easier...my hair looks and acts just like velcro.

Back