Heat Training Support Thread

that satin creme press is off the chain! it helped to keep my hair soft the entire week, and my edges, which usually mess up the next day, stayed pretty slick the whole time.

Hi ladies, I've been debating this for a few months now and I made a decision to be heat trained. Right now, I'm 7 months post, and just don't want to relax anymore, but I like straight hair. So I guess I'm transitioning to heat trained.

I've pressed my hair 4x in the last 2 months, the first time was not good because I used heat on the relaxed hair as well, of which the ends did not appreciate so I had to cut. But since then, I've since restricted it to the 3" of ng I have (which I'm SUPER CAREFUL about), upped the protein, esp @ the line of demarcation, and the results have been great. Only thing is that the sleekness doesn't last more than 2 days, but I guess that will improve with time.

Here's a pic of the last press I did:

I am using an electric hot comb, which I find 1000x easier to use than a flat iron. So far I've tried the satin creme press which I didn't like, nor Vitapointe. Both have beeswax which my hair didn't like, but I tried them anyway. This last time I used a mix of castor and hemp oil which I liked alot. I bought some Apex and will be trying this weekend.

Hi ladies, I've been debating this for a few months now and I made a decision to be heat trained. Right now, I'm 7 months post, and just don't want to relax anymore, but I like straight hair. So I guess I'm transitioning to heat trained.

I've pressed my hair 4x in the last 2 months, the first time was not good because I used heat on the relaxed hair as well, of which the ends did not appreciate so I had to cut. But since then, I've since restricted it to the 3" of ng I have (which I'm SUPER CAREFUL about), upped the protein, esp @ the line of demarcation, and the results have been great. Only thing is that the sleekness doesn't last more than 2 days, but I guess that will improve with time.

I am using an electric hot comb, which I find 1000x easier to use than a flat iron. So far I've tried the satin creme press which I didn't like, nor Vitapointe. Both have beeswax which my hair didn't like, but I tried them anyway. This last time I used a mix of castor and hemp oil which I liked alot. I bought some Apex and will be trying this weekend.

I like keracare's cream press. I didn't like ultrasheen's or apex's.

OK, I have tried and failed at straitening my natural hair. Does natural hair need to be super long to be able to straiten it?:ohwell: It's just not working for me.:nono:

OK, I have tried and failed at straitening my natural hair. Does natural hair need to be super long to be able to straiten it?:ohwell: It's just not working for me.:nono:

how long is your hair? cause my hair is no where near super long.... I think it's more a matter of technique

Hi to all! Ive also been thinking about this method for months! I last relaxed in december 2007 so, i normally should already be at least apl ! which im not. Ok ive have trimmed a lot, but also i only whore twists,braids, sometimes afro out (a lot at the beginning) seems like even protecvite styles didn't help much. the first 2 years it grew fast then.....just stopped at SL.

Thinking of it, the only time i had long hair is as a child. I had no relaxer, my hair was down my back!anddddd it was never in an afro, they used to hot comb my hair and it was always straight. So when people say heat damages...it depends on how you do it: using hot comb was the only moment of my life which i had damn long healthy thick hair !! i think im gonna try this out again.

NEED REAL HELP HERE. (im a 4b i guess) my hair got straight in 1 pass though using flat iron at 215 °c

Just that , i don't know where to start. i flat ironned yesterday (the ends are not sooo straight so im wonderning if ive done this right or is it damaged?).

-how do i keep it moisturized without it reverting? give me your routine please im lost!

- Do you moisturize everyday? with what?

-im planning to wash it every 2 weeks to start. I guess i must use more protein in my routine?

- the next time i flat iron, is it only the roots? or the whole hair as its still the beginning?

- I really do not know what products to buy or put in my hair?

thanks a lot in advance for your help, im determined to get this hair long

how long is your hair? cause my hair is no where near super long.... I think it's more a matter of technique

When stretched, it is nose level. I am kind of embarrassed because I can't seem to do it right. However, I wonder if I can do this and keep my texture. I would hate to lose the ability to twist my hair. I am sure that my technique sucks. It's OK. I am going to get better at it. I am just trying to see if I can straiten with lower heat use. It I can't do it, I'll stick with twists.:ohwell:

When stretched, it is nose level. I am kind of embarrassed because I can't seem to do it right. However, I wonder if I can do this and keep my texture. I would hate to lose the ability to twist my hair. I am sure that my technique sucks. It's OK. I am going to get better at it. I am just trying to see if I can straiten with lower heat use. It I can't do it, I'll stick with twists.:ohwell:

DDTexlaxed
I'm confused by this comment. This thread is for people that want to alter their texture.

Since you dont want to do that then just keep the temp down.
You should start with a good DC and then a good blow dry and tehn end off with using a flatiron or pressing comb.

When I flatironed my DD's hair I DC'd then applied serum then blew dry.

I used Apex pressing oil and flatironed @ 350-360 doing 2 passes and when I washed 2 weeks later she got full reversion.

@DDTexlaxed
I'm confused by this comment. This thread is for people that want to alter their texture.

You should start with a good DC and then a good blow dry and tehn end off with using a flatiron or pressing comb.

I used Apex pressing oil and flatironed @ 350-360 doing 2 passes and when I washed 2 weeks later she got full reversion.[/QUO

Britt's version of heat training doesn't make your hair stay strait. She still has texture in her hair.:ohwell: I am wondering if I can follow her method the same way. I'm trying to do this to cut down my SSKs. However, my hair won't let me straiten it at all.:nono: That's why I came here for advice. I end up with slightly straitened frizz. I came here for advice from the straitening experts. I'm going to look into buying that pressing creme. Thanks for the reply!

what electric hot comb do you have halee_J

Britt's version of heat training doesn't make your hair stay strait. She still has texture in her hair.:ohwell: I am wondering if I can follow her method the same way. I'm trying to do this to cut down my SSKs. However, my hair won't let me straiten it at all.:nono: That's why I came here for advice. I end up with slightly straitened frizz. I came here for advice from the straitening experts. I'm going to look into buying that pressing creme. Thanks for the reply!

Before I started using apex pressing oil I had the same probelm with frizz. I would straighten my hair and by the time I'd be done my hair would already be frizzy.

As for texture. Once I wash my hair I still have texture. It's looser now but I still have texture. I'm happy I came in this thread and found out about apex. It made such a difference in straightening for me. Now I can keep my hair straight for a week or more without getting frizz.

I set my flat iron on 320 and one pass does it.

And where are you guys buying this apex @Val

ETA: Nevermind, I see I'm gonna have to order this online. No BSS here.

Last edited:
And where are you guys buying this apex @Val

ETA: Nevermind, I see I'm gonna have to order this online. No BSS here.

no BSS where you are?

but yea it's great...be light with it. I just dab a little on each section or hair as I go. Apex can be heavy and weaigh down your hair, so I've learned to be light with it.

@DDTexlaxed

I used Apex pressing oil and flatironed @ 350-360 doing 2 passes and when I washed 2 weeks later she got full reversion.[/QUO

DDTexlaxed

Yes, she still has texture but its not her original texture. She heat trained from a 4ab to 3ab. That is what heat training does it takes you away from your original texture to ease in detangling etc. Its just a gradual process.

The way you posed the question was as if you wanted to keep your original texture hence my confusion

Before I started using apex pressing oil I had the same probelm with frizz. I would straighten my hair and by the time I'd be done my hair would already be frizzy.

As for texture. Once I wash my hair I still have texture. It's looser now but I still have texture. I'm happy I came in this thread and found out about apex. It made such a difference in straightening for me. Now I can keep my hair straight for a week or more without getting frizz.

Thanks, Val! I'm going to try to find the Apex creme. Do you usually blow dry first or do you just press detangled hair? Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to get this technique down. :blush:

Val
Exactly, you still have texture which is what all who heat train want, however it is not your original texture. This is what I said in my response to DDTexlaxed.

Oh dont think I have a problem with heat training, I dont. I plan on doing it for my DD when she gets a bit older.

@DDTexlaxed

Yes, she still has texture but its not her original texture. She heat trained from a 4ab to 3ab. That is what heat training does it takes you away from your original texture to ease in detangling etc. Its just a gradual process.

The way you posed the question was as if you wanted to keep your original texture hence my confusion

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I am trying to do that.:lol: My mind is a lil foggy thanks to allergies.:ohwell:

Thanks, Val! I'm going to try to find the Apex creme. Do you usually blow dry first or do you just press detangled hair? Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to get this technique down. :blush:
I blow dry first most of the time.... my hair gets very straight when I blow dry making it easier to flat iron. I also spray heat protectant before I blow dry.

hi again. nobody saw my message above? ( it is the first on page 18) shouting out for your help ladies. ive already moisturized with water glycerin and almond oil, but then the straight hair is reverting slowly. was i wrong to d that?

please please help and give advice :cry2::cry2::cry2:

Hi to all! Ive also been thinking about this method for months! I last relaxed in december 2007 so, i normally should already be at least apl ! which im not. Ok ive have trimmed a lot, but also i only whore twists,braids, sometimes afro out (a lot at the beginning) seems like even protecvite styles didn't help much. the first 2 years it grew fast then.....just stopped at SL.

Thinking of it, the only time i had long hair is as a child. I had no relaxer, my hair was down my back!anddddd it was never in an afro, they used to hot comb my hair and it was always straight. So when people say heat damages...it depends on how you do it: using hot comb was the only moment of my life which i had damn long healthy thick hair !! i think im gonna try this out again.

NEED REAL HELP HERE. (im a 4b i guess) my hair got straight in 1 pass though using flat iron at 215 °c

Just that , i don't know where to start. i flat ironned yesterday (the ends are not sooo straight so im wonderning if ive done this right or is it damaged?).

-how do i keep it moisturized without it reverting? give me your routine please im lost!

-im planning to wash it every 2 weeks to start. I guess i must use more protein in my routine?

- the next time i flat iron, is it only the roots? or the whole hair as its still the beginning?

Ok, I'll take a stab at this for ya :look:

Water and glycerine are no-no's if you don't want reversion.

The trick to keeping reversion to a minimum is to make sure
you've done a really good deep conditioning treatment as part
of your wash process. That will ensure your strands are already
hydrated enough so as not to be influenced by outside moisture.

This trick is not 100% foolproof but helps a lot.

Also, a good moisturizing DC treatment should keep your strands
from needing moisture on a daily basis.

The last time I straightened, I set my hair each night in bantu
knots because I didn't like it so straight, lol. I put just a touch
of S-Curl on the ends and sealed with EVOO pretty much out of
habit before knotting and all was well.

Towards the end of my press (days 8, 9, and 10), I wore it up
in a loose ponytail bun.

I think I smoothed some HE LTR on all my hair one evening but
nothing else.

When my hair started feeling dry by day 10, I washed it. I think
that dry feeling is the signal to rehydrate.

These are my thoughts. I'm not a pro. Just sharing my own
experience and I hope it helps you coolsista-paris.

ETA: Depending on how strong or weak your hair is, a regular
light protein treatment or a protein treatment immediately
followed by a moisturizing DC could be helpful.

coolsista-paris if you straighten your hair, you have to avoid water and glycerin; they will cause your hair to revert. I'm new to this process myself, I haven't found a moisturuzer that doesn't cause reversion I run a tiny bit of hemp oil through my everyday until the next wash. I make sure I DC really well so my hair is well moisturized before I straighten it. I'm sure the other ladies will chime in :)

@coolsista-paris
Although I am relaxed I do quite a few straighten jobs on natural hair so I hope this helps.

Check out these videos.
This is for the heat training:http://www.youtube.com/my_subscript...5uLGFMk7cbiH5QQizpWrr_vy4PJlT7bRa_QrrQCM&as=1

here is another woman that heat trains:
http://www.youtube.com/user/1mits1

This is for the blowdrying technique, take what you need and disregard the rest. Even thought she is relaxed and think she has a good blowdry technique: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaurenMechelle#p/a/D0C55FC639057DAD/0/JhlPtk2YX_U

To answer some of your questions.
You need to begin with a good blowydry.
A good flatiron. the FHI she is using in the video is good for natural hair. I have it and it works really well on my DD's natural hair
You want to use something light as not to make your hair revert when moisturizing. Read some of the posts in this thread and PM some ladies for suggestions. I use Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive on my daughters hair, just a little though so no reversion.
your moisturization will depend on how your hair feels some people do it every day some maybe not.
If you wash every 2 weeks get a clarifying shampoo, Sallys sells a good one by Quantum. Start with a light protein first and work your way up from there, a nice light one is Aphogee 2 MIN (not 2 Step)
You have to gauge your hair the next time you wash to see if you need to do the entire head or just the roots. If when you go to flatiron again after following these steps and you still have frizzy ends you will need a trim.

Go easy on the products so you dont get greasy weighed down hair. It make take you a few times to get it right. Dont fret you will get there.

When you say you dont know what products to use all you need is a clarifying shampoo ( I mentioned one), a reg shampoo vo5 has a good inexpensive one, a protein (also mentioned) and a moisturizing DC. Oh yeah a heat protectant for when you blow dry; for course very dense hair I suggest silk elements olive oil (green spray bottle), for course finer hair I suggest silken child leave in detangler or aphogee leave in (purple bottle) the first two can be purchased at Sallys and a moisturizer. Keep in mind most heat protectants only work for a few minutes right after sprayed and only work on 350 degrees and below. If you do purchase a protectant for 350 and above it MUST say it on the container.

come back if you have more questions.

Last edited:
Back