Has LHCF worked for everyone's hair?

Teja

Just wondering if there are people on this board who saw no major changes in thier hair but followed all or most of the guidelines...stretching relaxers, protective styling co-washing etc?

Just wondering if there are people on this board who saw no major changes in thier hair but followed all or most of the guidelines...stretching relaxers, protective styling co-washing etc?

Hi, Teja! :wave:

First I'd like to point out that LHCF is not a technique to grow your hair, rather it is a community of women who share their techniques and what works to grow THEIR hair.

With that said, there is not a one size fit all method for growing your hair; though most people find a few things in common:

Keeping your hair and scalp clean
Daily moisturizing
Weekly deep conditioning (at least until you get to "know" your hair)
Baby-ing your ends (this doesn't mean protective styling for everyone)
Gentle handling
Commitment and
Consistency

All the other things really enhance your hair growing experience, in my opinion. However if you incorporate at least the above things into your regimen you will see an improvement in the length and overall condition of your hair (unless there are other factors like excessive stress, a health condition, etc).

HTH and happy hair growing!

Last edited:
I concur with what she said. I has given me a lot of great ways to care for my hair, so I can retain length. If you at least do the things she mentioned, you should see some retention.

First I'd like to point out that LHCF is not a technique to grow your hair, rather it is a community of women who share their techniques and what works to grow THEIR hair.

With that said, there is not a one size fit all method for growing your hair; though most people find a few things in common:

Daily moisturizing
Gentle handling
Commitment and
Consistency

All the other things really enhance your hair growing experience, in my opinion. However if you incorporate at least the above things into your regimen you will see an improvement in the length and overall condition of your hair (unless there are other factors like excessive stress, a health condition, etc).

Daily moisturizing
Gentle handling
Commitment and
Consistency

Exactly! I agree 100% with your post. Check my siggie for my results!

It has really worked for me. In my case I was searching for ways to grow my hair. I have always gotten to apl but never longer. Oh it was longer when I was a kid but that was so long ago. I am now a little passed bsl and aiming for mbl. I was getting a touch up every 5 weeks before finding this LHCF and now I am stretching 12-16 weeks and will never go back. I am just so happy I found this place.

For information, research, product reviews, education in healthy hair care practices and other things. Yes, it has been a wealth of knowledge and one of the most beneficial sites I have found to date. Believe me when I say I have researched the web for healthy haircare and LHCF is one the best ever.

Five stars for LHCF!!!!

Honestly, I don't know what harm could come from doing healthy hair practices such as eliminating heat, deep conditioning, etc. So I honestly doubt you will find someone whose hair has not benefited from such healthy methods.

The things I've learned from here have definitely improved my hair and I share this knowledge with my mom and my girlfriends. I've noticed mostly an improvement with my mom and my brothers girlfriend. Others do what they do and their hair is still the same.:ohwell:

My hair has majorly approved, but I don't follow 100% everything on the boards. You just have to experiment around, and find what works best for you because it's not the same for everyone :)

I agree with everything LongHairDontCare said. LHCF is def one of the best hair care resources for women of color out there!

This is hands down is one of the best haircare sites that I have been to for women of color. If the techniques learned here are employed correctly, your hair has no choice but to improve and thrive. With that said, there is no pill to take for long healthy hair, so a lot of patience and tender-loving-care is a must.

I think it's like a library of opinions. Do your research and you will find out what works for you. I think it is invaluable and can only help the hair to be a member here!

This site is an obsession for me, but most of all it has taught me to enjoy and love my hair texture. I never miss a day...It means everything to have access to women who are willing to share their hair and beauty secrets with me!

It worked for me and I am thankful for it. It's a wealth of knowledge her so if one thing doesn't work, one could always learn about something else.

It's worked for my hair, it's worked for others I've told about LHCF. Even if you just DCed and moisturised you would see a difference in the health of your hair. Then after implementing the most basic hair care techniques here, like someone else said, it's all about loads of patience and TLC every day. That's the key to long healthy hair!

It has def. helped me:yep: I love learning about new products & techniques. Plus the photos and success stories of others, along with the results we receive, help us to validate why we do all the things we do to keep our hair healthy & growing. (even when we're feeling lazy) Not to mention the support, encouragement and knowledge given to someone who may have experienced a setback to help get them back on track. Now that's what I'm talking about:yep: I love LHCF!!!:grouphug:

I can say as someone who found LHCF for a two-year-old-hair-emergency-in- progress that it has saved my hair. I could have BEEN MBL by now with these techniques if I had known they existed when I first got to Britain. I literally shed and broke THOUSANDS of hairs every time I washed...three to four handfuls on a relaxed head!!! I am only now seeing a return to health, and we leave in June. :wallbash::wallbash: There are sooooo many techniques I hve learned. I now know what to do in/when:

(1) Hard water situations...
(2) My hair is breaking (from being too dry or too weak)...
(3) Stretching if I choose to do so...
(4) In braids, twists, etc...
(5) With a wig if I ever choose...
(6) A state of transitioning from relaxer to natural...
(7) Needing a low-maintenance style...
(8) I am not enjoying my hair...tips to help me enjoy it are all over the board...
(9) Washing (so many techniques...in plaits, in the shower, co-washing, water only, not washing frequently, non-lathering poos, etc.)...
(10) Conditioning (co-washing, protein cos, moisturizing cos, anti-breakage cos, deep cos, etc.)...
(11) Using heat (SMB ALL DAY!!!)...
(12) Trying to make my hair's curls show better...
(13) No combing for retention...

The list goes on ad nauseum, and all of it helps my hair at some point. Honestly, what worked well for me last year has changed a little because my hair is a little longer. It's not as much fun to roller set, but braid outs are great!!!

I think that if you are looking for ways to grow and retain and maintain health, this is the best board for women of color.

Plus, the women strive to be kind instead of catty and mean to one another. I REALLY ENJOY THAT!!!

I :lick: LHCF!! Yum!

cj

I think this site is great!

But it your hair is very damaged, keep in mind it WILL take time. I started my journey with damaged hair and I had to have lots of patience. I'm still trying to grow out my broken patches before I aim for length.

Just remember health before length.

I have always had to wash and condition frequently because my hair is fine and I have always used moisturizers. I have always been a PJ so being on this board sent me into overdrive when I first joined. I have tried too many things and I have gone from shoulder length to ear length :sad:. LHCF has been helpful in style ideas and I have finally broken my addiction to wearing weaves which damaged my hair as well. I have really toned things down and hope to start having some progress this year. I have learned a lot and enjoy reading about others progress and about different products.

My hair hasn't made tremendous change as I would have liked but for real, w/out this forum, it would have been a lot worst - a hot mess.

This community has helped me so much, once i realized that everything doesnt work for everybody. Being a newbie can be overwhelming at first, but now i finally think i got it!

Daily moisturizing
Gentle handling
Commitment and
Consistency

She done told it. :lol:
:thatsall:​

Take your nuggets and run. It's when folks start doing every technique on top of each other with the latest product on top of the latest challenge that you get the unhappy campers. The ideas here work--- just not all together at once. :look::lachen:

My hair hasn't made tremendous change as I would have liked but for real, w/out this forum, it would have been a lot worst - a hot mess.

Girl what you talkin' bout! If that's you in your siggy, I see progress all up and through that! :lol: I think we are too hard on ourselves sometimes. :yep:

You are so right about that - I am greedy and ungrateful:lachen::lachen::yep::yep:! I want what you've got asap, lol!

Girl what you talkin' bout! If that's you in your siggy, I see progress all up and through that! :lol: I think we are too hard on ourselves sometimes. :yep:

LHCF has taught me ALOT, ALOT. I don't think I would of made it to natural and then succeeded cutting my hair off, and then succeeded with keeping my hair healthy without the forum.

My only issue is I'm starting to not get on the board as much. Maybe because I'm busy, or maybe because as of right now I do not have a lot of questions. I still have issues, like hair knots...etc, but I went research overload crazy in the beginning stages that now I'm just in my take care for hair and wait and see mode....

LHCF is well worth my $$$. The feeling of community ( I sometimes feel like i'm just around the way kickin' it with my girls) is invaluable. The wealth of knowledge is incomparable. I'm enjoying my best hair EVER because of LHCF. It is the ONLY hairsite that truly celebrates "Black" hair in ALL its glorious forms...are y'all checkin' that Natural Shrinkage thread? ....truly amazing!!

*OMG! LHCF is AWESOME*... i have been slightly obsessed about hair for years... i only wish i had thougth of this idea...lol

We have so much conflicting ideas, theories and products about our hair out there, that if you dont have a "mentor" or person who has a "clue" as to what to do with our hair; you can spend years wishing, hoping and praying that you grow some hair and never reach your goal...

Even though i cant run and do everything that everyone posts about... just having the incitefull information has been a huge saver of time, money and tears...no for real!!! :drunk:

Not only is my hair much better off, I wish I had found the board five years ago... If I had, I would not have cut all my hair off TWICE!!!

LHCF is amazing!!!

Firstly, I think it's wonderful that a community exists where women can talk about their hair concerns and share their hair goals. I can say things to you guys that I can't say to people in real life because when you're just on your way to your goals but are not there yet, people often look at you like "yeah, whatever." However, I did get a hair compliment on Friday (when I was wearing my twist-out) and I got asked for hair advice while I was in Whole Foods (that same night). I was so excited. Honestly, I wasn't even supposed to be in Whole Foods. I had just come from the movies and I was so tired that I couldn't keep my head up straight. I decided to go to Whole Foods before going home b/c I knew that being around the hair products would revive me:grin::grin::grin:. I just think it's wonderful to be somewhere where you can openly say "I want to grow long hair" and not be ashamed of it.

Secondly, this place is a powerhouse of information. Never before have I known more about hair products, ingredients, hair styles, and so much more. There used to be a time when I didn't even know how to deal with my hair unless it was pressed. All of that is a thing of the past.

P.S.: I will forever grateful to all of you who have introduced me to Karen's Body Beautiful. I can't say it enough: Her stuff is amazing!!!

Back