Gratitude in the Gethsemane

I am grateful we encounter trials not because God doesn't love us, but because He is increasing our faith, our patience-making us stronger and completing us so that we lack nothing. There is definitely a purpose behind the process! :yep:

James 1:2-6

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.

Psalm 116
1 I love the LORD, for he heard my voice;
he heard my cry for mercy.

2 Because he turned his ear to me,
I will call on him as long as I live.

3 The cords of death entangled me,
the anguish of the grave came upon me;
I was overcome by trouble and sorrow.

4 Then I called on the name of the LORD :
"O LORD, save me!"

5 The LORD is gracious and righteous;
our God is full of compassion.

6 The LORD protects the simplehearted;
when I was in great need, he saved me.

7 Be at rest once more, O my soul,
for the LORD has been good to you.

8 For you, O LORD, have delivered my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling,

9 that I may walk before the LORD
in the land of the living.

10 I believed; therefore I said,
"I am greatly afflicted."

11 And in my dismay I said,
"All men are liars."

12 How can I repay the LORD
for all his goodness to me?

13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the LORD.

14 I will fulfill my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people.

15 Precious in the sight of the LORD
is the death of his saints.

16 O LORD, truly I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your maidservant ;
you have freed me from my chains.

17 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you
and call on the name of the LORD.

18 I will fulfill my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people,

19 in the courts of the house of the LORD—
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the LORD. [d]

I am thankful today that God's word states that he has his ear turned to me and that I can call upon him as long as I live. I love the Lord and I am thankful that he hears my voice.

I am grateful the Lord keeps surprising me with unexpected blessing
I received my very first royalty check...ever.... from my current book publisher
...one day after turning in my novel

I........... AM................... CONVINCED
it had EVERYTHING to do with having mustard seed faith

They will soar on wings like eagles; Isaiah 40:31

There are times when hope seems to get lost in the midst of chaos. We feel inadequate and unable to change. Scripture says we will soar like an eagle, and we will not tire. While our hearts long to fly it would seem sometimes it is all we can do to walk. It is at those very times that we need to empty ourselves and allow God to fill our hearts and minds with His truth. The truth of who we are in Christ.
There is a story about an eagle which was chained to a perch for many years. One day a man came by and saw the eagle chained; his heart broke because he knew the eagle was created to fly and soar across the mountaintops. So the man purchased the eagle at a great price and took it home releasing it from the chains that had it bound. To his surprise the eagle remained on its perch, it did not realize or understand that it had been set free. Too often, we are just like the eagle. We have grown accustomed to our chains. We need to understand that in our own strength, we will fail, but if we will begin to view ourselves through the eyes and the ability of Christ, we will see that we are free to fly off the perch and soar as we were created to.

Prayer

God you are faithful and I trust in you. I do not want to be content to sit on the perch, I long to fly above the mountaintops. Help me to see myself through Your eyes and Your ability. Remind me that I have been purchased for a great price, my chains are gone and I am free to fly. Amen.

Last edited:
Prayer works. I was reminded of that today when listening to a podcast. If you are having problems in your relationship, turn to God. I thank God, again, all these years later for the many weeks that after I argued with my ex, I would get on my knees and pray that God would work on him. He did it everyday....changed his heart without a word more from me. I thank Him, again, for doing so faithfully all those many days. Each and everytime. I also thank Him that I EVENTUALLY came to my senses and prayed not my will, but His will be done. At that point, the relationship was over. I thank God that HE answered my prayers and gave me the desires of my heart, even when HE knew it was not the best thing for me but it was what I wanted. I thanked Him then and I am reminded to thank Him again. :yep:

I am grateful the Lord keeps surprising me with unexpected blessing
I received my very first royalty check...ever.... from my current book publisher
...one day after turning in my novel.

What a wonderful blessing and the surprise made it even better.

Psalm 61
For the director of music. With stringed instruments. Of David.
1 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.

2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

3 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.

4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Selah

5 For you have heard my vows, O God;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

6 Increase the days of the king's life,
his years for many generations.

7 May he be enthroned in God's presence forever;
appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.

8 Then will I ever sing praise to your name
and fulfill my vows day after day.

I am thankful to have the Lord who is my rock and who is much higher than I. I take refuge in the protective shelter of his wings.

I am grateful for the Lord's protection... as I forget how badly I need His protection ALL the time
HE never does

The Lord will keep you from all harm -- he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.--Psalm 121:7-

THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE...
Our lives are not lived alone. The Lord is with us personally. He holds each of futures and our safety in his hands. We live to serve him. The Lord will keep us from all harm!

MY PRAYER...
Mighty Protector, Rock of my salvation. Thank you that my future is secure with you. Make this assurance the convicting power in my life to turn over my future and my life to you. Through Jesus I ask this. Amen.

Grateful....I don't have to understand to do the next right action.....I can rely on the Lord..not on myself..I can stop worrying as it not only does it not help it is also gratefully...a command from our Lord to stay in the peace of the current day

"Trust in the Lord...lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5 NIV

Try God's way!

Ever watch someone learning to get around on crutches? What a struggle! Sometimes you find them trying to balance on one leg, or resting a hundred feet down the street, their hands raw and sore. Leaning on crutches can be exhausting. So can leaning on your own understanding.

If you want things to go badly for you - exclude God. Try working things out using only your own best judgment. When you hit a brick wall, try something else. When that gets you nowhere, resort to logic, then panic. The truth is, some of us act like we're addicted to anxiety. We've been living this way so long, we're not capable of seeing it or acknowledging it. When one worry is gone we put another one in its place. We have a line of them at our door, because the sign reads "All welcome!" It's like we enjoy entertaining them. But Jesus said they're a waste of life and energy. They keep you so focused on what you need, or what you're afraid of losing, that you don't have time to enjoy what you have (See Mt 6:25). That's no way to live!

Instead of worrying, begin living by this Scripture: (a) "Do not worry about anything." (b) "Pray and ask God for everything you need." (c) "Always giving thanks." (d) "God's peace...will keep your hearts and minds" (Php 4:6-7 NCV). Go ahead - try God's way!

I am grateful the Lord is blessing me even though it seems like His hand and protective hedge was removed, He reassures me I am safe with an abundance of tranquility and I am blessed with His good gifts and an enlarged place

The Eternal Covenant of Peace Isaiah 54

54:1 “Sing, O barren one, who did not bear;
break forth into singing and cry aloud,
you who have not been in labor!
For the children of the desolate one will be more
than the children of her who is married,” says the Lord.
2 “Enlarge the place of your tent,
and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out;
do not hold back; lengthen your cords
and strengthen your stakes.
3 For you will spread abroad to the right and to the left,
and your offspring will possess the nations
and will people the desolate cities.

4 “Fear not, for you will not be ashamed;
be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced;
for you will forget the shame of your youth,
and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.
5 For your Maker is your husband,
the Lord of hosts is his name;
and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer,
the God of the whole earth he is called.
6 For the Lord has called you
like a wife deserted and grieved in spirit,
like a wife of youth when she is cast off,
says your God.
7 For a brief moment I deserted you,
but with great compassion I will gather you.
8 In overflowing anger for a moment
I hid my face from you,
but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,”
says the Lord, your Redeemer.

9 “This is like the days of Noah [1] to me:
as I swore that the waters of Noah
should no more go over the earth,
so I have sworn that I will not be angry with you,
and will not rebuke you.
10 For the mountains may depart
and the hills be removed,
but my steadfast love shall not depart from you,
and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,”
says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

11 “O afflicted one, storm-tossed and not comforted,
behold, I will set your stones in antimony,
and lay your foundations with sapphires. [2]
12 I will make your pinnacles of agate, [3]
your gates of carbuncles, [4]
and all your wall of precious stones.
13 All your children shall be taught by the Lord,
and great shall be the peace of your children.
14 In righteousness you shall be established;
you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear;
and from terror, for it shall not come near you.
15 If anyone stirs up strife,
it is not from me;
whoever stirs up strife with you
shall fall because of you.
16 Behold, I have created the smith
who blows the fire of coals
and produces a weapon for its purpose.
I have also created the ravager to destroy;
17 no weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed,
and you shall confute every tongue that rises against you in judgment.
This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord
and their vindication [5] from me, declares the Lord.”

Psalm 118: 24 This is the day the LORD has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.

25 O LORD, save us;
O LORD, grant us success.

26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD.
From the house of the LORD we bless you. [a]

27 The LORD is God,
and he has made his light shine upon us.
With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession
up to the horns of the altar.

28 You are my God, and I will give you thanks;
you are my God, and I will exalt you.

29 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.

I am thankful for this day that the Lord has made, and that I am able to enjoy the beauty of and wonder of his creation. I am also grateful that the Lord is mindful of me with a love that endures forever. Thanks be to God!

I am thankful for this day that the Lord has made, and that I am able to enjoy the beauty of and wonder of his creation. I am also grateful that the Lord is mindful of me with a love that endures forever. Thanks be to God!

Ultrasudea..I felt this way today too! I was sitting outside and just enjoying the blessing of His creations and seems like my heart was so full of love for the Lord

You are my God, and I will give you thanks;
you are my God, and I will exalt you.

I just had to start singing Praise God from whom all blessing flow.....
as I was walking down the street.... He is so good! His mercy and love endures forever
Thanks be to God

Today, I am grateful that despite the devil's many attempts to discourage me this weekend (flat tire, burned while cooking, unexpected withdrawal from my account), that God is still in control and His mercy is sufficient for whatever the day may throw at me.

Heaven’s Grocery Store

Copyright © 1990 Ron DeMarco. All Rights Reserved. Used by permission.

I was walking down life’s highway a long time ago.
One day I saw a sign that read, “Heaven’s Grocery Store”.
As I got a little closer the door came open wide,
and when I came to myself I was standing inside.
I saw a host of Angels, they were standing everywhere.
One handed me a blanket and said, “My Child shop with care”.
Everything a Christian needs is in that grocery store,
and all you can’t carry, come back the next day for more.

First, I got some Patience, Love was in the same row.
Further down was Understanding, needed everywhere you go.
I got a box or two of Wisdom, a bag or two of Faith,
I just couldn’t miss the Holy Ghost, it was all over the place.
I stopped to get some Strength and Courage to help me run this race,
but then my blanket was getting full, and I remembered I needed Grace.

I didn’t forget Salvation, which like the others was free,
so I tried to get enough of that to save both you and me.
Then I started to the counter to pay my grocery bill,
for I thought I had everything to do my master’s will.
As I went up the aisle, I saw Prayer and had to put it in,
for I knew when I stepped outside, I would run right into sin.
Peace and Joy were plentiful, they were on the last shelf.
Song and Praises were hanging near, so I just helped myself.

Then I said to the Angel, “How much do I owe”?
The Angel smiled and said, “Just take them everywhere you go.”
Again, I politely asked “How much do I really owe?”
The Angel smiled again and said, “My Child, Jesus Paid Your Bill
A Long Time Ago.”

All things whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive.
— Matthew 21:22

I am grateful today that the Lord gives us the privilege of asking in prayer and receiving when we believe.

I am grateful for the gift of prayer...and that our Lord encourages and expects unceasing prayer

What a Friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
what a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer

But certainly God has heard me; He has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God who has not turned away my prayer nor His mercy from me. Psalm 6:19, 20

Matthew 6: 28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry
about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I am thankful and encouraged not to worry because the Lord is aware of every one of my needs.

Matthew 6: 28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry
about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I am thankful and encouraged not to worry because the Lord is aware of every one of my needs.

I had this passage on my heart this past weekend!!

Hebrews 9
The Blood of Christ
11When Christ came as high priest of the good things that are already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not man-made, that is to say, not a part of this creation. 12He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption. 13The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!

I am thankful that we have a living God who made provision for our eternal redemption and our daily existence through his son our Lord Jesus.

I am grateful that the Lord has made it clear my priorities are to serve Him only

Are you seeking great things for yourself? Don’t do it! But don’t be discouraged.
Jeremiah 45

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Matthew 6:33

Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear
Hebrews 12:28

- For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Matthew 16:26 -

And he said unto them, When you pray, say, Our Father which is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
Luke 11:2

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Colossians 3:2

Luke1:Mary's Song
46And Mary said:
"My soul glorifies the Lord
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.
50His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
51He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.
53He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
54He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful
55to Abraham and his descendants forever,
even as he said to our fathers."

I am thankful that the Lord is a mighty God who has performed mighty deeds and that he is merciful and mindful of me.

I am grateful for what God has already done for me. Sure, like all I have needs and I know that God will deliver me. But even if He didn't, I would still have so much to be thankful and grateful to Him for.

Daniel 3:16-18

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter.
If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king.
But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

But even if He didn't, I would still have so much to be thankful and grateful to Him for.

This is so powerful Sashaa..this is unconditional love of and for God
thank you

This is so powerful Sashaa..this is unconditional love of and for God
thank you

What a sweet thing to say! As I get more mature, I realize how sovereign and powerful God is and I realize that He owes me absolutely nothing, yet still is so gracious and kind and patient. There is so much undeserved, unmerited blessings and favor-things that He has kept from me that I know I deserved-for that alone, I have plenty to be grateful for.

I am grateful for my season of The Jubilee on this holy day of atonement...as the Lord's gift because HE delights in me...imperfect as I am and loves me with an everlasting love and will not forsake me...
but bestows on me ..The Year of His Favor and the Double Portion

Isaiah 61
The Year of the LORD's Favor

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners, [a]
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.

5 Aliens will shepherd your flocks;
foreigners will work your fields and vineyards.

6 And you will be called priests of the LORD,
you will be named ministers of our God.
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
and in their riches you will boast.

7 Instead of their shame
my people will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
they will rejoice in their inheritance;
and so they will inherit a double portion in their land,
and everlasting joy will be theirs.

8 "For I, the LORD, love justice;
I hate robbery and iniquity.
In my faithfulness I will reward them
and make an everlasting covenant with them.

9 Their descendants will be known among the nations
and their offspring among the peoples.
All who see them will acknowledge
that they are a people the LORD has blessed."

10 I delight greatly in the LORD;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

11 For as the soil makes the sprout come up
and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness and praise
spring up before all nations.

And thou shalt number seven Sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven Sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years. Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubilee to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land (Lv. 25:8-9)."

New Unger’s Bible Dictionary states: "Thus the Jubilee year became one of freedom and grace for all suffering, bringing not only redemption to the captive and deliverance from want to the poor, but also release to the whole congregation of the Lord from the sore labor of the earth, representing the time of refreshing <Acts 3:19> that the Lord provides for His people.

Last edited:
I am grateful for what God has already done for me. Sure, like all I have needs and I know that God will deliver me. But even if He didn't, I would still have so much to be thankful and grateful to Him for.

Daniel 3:16-18

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter.
If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king.
But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

Sashaa, I was really touched by truths in your gratitude today, you summed it all up.

I am grateful for my season of The Jubilee on this holy day of atonement...as the Lord's gift because HE delights in me...imperfect as I am and loves me with an everlasting love and will not forsake me...
but bestows on me ..The Year of His Favor and the Double Portion

I am also observing this day as a day of prayer, reflection, and fasting.

Zechariah 139 This third I will bring into the fire;
I will refine them like silver
and test them like gold.
They will call on my name
and I will answer them;
I will say, 'They are my people,'
and they will say, 'The LORD is our God.' "

I am thankful that the Lord reassures us that when we call upon his name he will answer.

Today I am grateful that God always keeps His word and fulfills every promise-even when we aren't faithful or when we break our promises.

Numbers 23:19 (NIV)
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

and test them like gold.

Ultrasuedea
I saw a "gold" sequin on the ground and the verse I will come forth as gold from Job
came up ..even before that....kept coming up....
This confirms it!

Grateful that the Lord provides in abundance and even excess to me
at all points in my life ..even when it appears there is nothing
He provides SOMETHING ...so that I can have more to give.

2 Kings 4
The Widow's Oil
1 The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, "Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the LORD. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves."
2 Elisha replied to her, "How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?"
"Your servant has nothing there at all," she said, "except a little oil."

3 Elisha said, "Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don't ask for just a few. 4 Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side."

5 She left him and afterward shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring. 6 When all the jars were full, she said to her son, "Bring me another one."
But he replied, "There is not a jar left." Then the oil stopped flowing.

7 She went and told the man of God, and he said, "Go, sell the oil and pay your debts. You and your sons can live on what is left."

TODAY IN THE WORD
Twenty-seven million people are enslaved in the world today, including millions of children. In places such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Kazakhstan, Russia, Europe, South America, and even the United States, children are enslaved as child soldiers, involuntary servants, debt slaves, or in commercial sexual exploitation. Debt slaves are sold into work to pay their family's debt. They work ten to twelve hours per day to satisfy even small debts; they suffer sickness, injuries, and are deprived of education.
God worked powerfully through Elisha to rescue two children from debt slavery in our story today. Elisha was the successor of the prophet Elijah (cf. 2 Kings 2:9-15). Elisha's name means “God saves,” and throughout the stories of his life and ministry recorded in 1 and 2 Kings, God's redeeming power is clearly evident.

In our passage today, Elisha encountered a desperate widow whose deceased husband feared the Lord and was from the company of the prophets, which afforded her a connection with Elisha (v. 1). Commentators describe the company of the prophets as either a guild of professional prophets or an informal group of lay supporters of Elijah and Elisha.

This poor widow was on the verge of selling her sons into slavery to pay off family debts (v. 1). Elisha immediately sought to help her, taking what she had and depending on God to multiply it to pay her debts. The woman mentioned her inadequate means twice (v. 2b), but her brief comments pale in comparison to the lengthier account of God's lavish provision. Verses 3 through 6 explode with the theme of plenty. We see reflections of this story in Exodus 16, God's provision of manna and quail, and in John 6:1-13, which records Jesus feeding more than five thousand men, women, and children from a boy's five loaves of bread and two fish (cf. 2 Kings 4:42-44). In all these stories, God creates abundance out of scarcity; from insufficient resources, He supplies excess.

Back