Getting Shot Down by First Man I've ever approached...

softblackcotton

How are you doing Ladies?

So here is the story...I went on an international trip just over 2 weeks ago. I met a guy while I was there. He is the first guy I have been genuinely physically attracted to in person since 2007. He approached me first at an event and started to chit-chat with me while I was waiting for my friend who was in the restroom. After our first encounter, I saw him about three times after that on subsequent days, all three times I caught him just staring at me. Just staring at me with a serious look on his face. :ohwell: So I would smile and wave hi to him and he would wave back and walk away. Two of those three times other fools that I was not attracted to were trying to talking to me and c*ck-blocking. :look: Upon the last day, I kept telling my friend that I wished he had asked me for my number, because I would like to remain in contact with him. He was the only guy I was attracted to that I actually talked to. On day before the last day, I ran into him again at a concert and he was with his friend. I didn't talk to him at first. I just strategically placed myself in his line of vision to see if he would approach me. I was standing directly in front of him and dancing. My friend even turned around, waved at him, and looked at him several times to tell me what he was doing. She told me he kept looking at me.

After about 30 minutes of waiting for him to approach me, my friend finally convinced me against my natural will to approach him. So I walk backwards and pretended to trip over his foot and I caught his arm to break my fall. I looked up to him and he leaned down. He was very tall, about 6'4" or 6'5" (Swoon and I am not historically attracted to very tall guys). I said, "Hey! I remember you from the other day! What is your name again?" We exchanged names, occupational info, etc. He asked me when I was leaving, I told him tomorrow. He said he wasn't leaving for another two weeks. I found out that he lives in New York. I told him I would be in New York at the end of August. I said we could try to hang out again. He didn't have his phone with him, so asked him to enter his contact info into my phone. I've never been so bold with guys in my life. I shocked myself! :drunk:

After the contact info was exchanged, I told him I would contact him and I gave him a deep hug. :blush: His arm like wrapped around my waist so firmly, I felt like a tiny doll next to him and I am about 5'10". He told me that he and his friend had to leave and then they walked out of our sight. Fast-forward two weeks and some days later, after much trepidation, I finally sent him a text two days ago saying "Hi! How are you? Are you back in the States yet?" and I have yet to receive an answer. :nono: Did I get shot down? I am so confused. I don't know how to deal with guys, because I barely have any experience, even at 26.

I told myself I would give him 48 hours to answer my text before I deleted his contact info, too harsh, too soon? Why did he act like he didn't want to talk to me after the first encounter? Why did he just leave after I talked to him at the last encounter? Did he give me the wrong information, because he didn't really want me to contact him? I mean, if he was attracted to me wouldn't he have tried to get my contact info or even talk me to me some more instead of just staring at me?

Awww, relax. :) You are overthinking it. You feel more invested in it b/c you initiated the exchange. I am glad you did step out of your comfort zone. Kudos for that.

Who knows what happened? Maybe he's caught up in business, still abroad and not all texts are going through, lost his phone, maybe he doesnt want to appear too into you (he stared a hole into you on numerous occassions) etc. The point is 2 days isn't that long. Just be the sweetheart you are when he does call. I firmly believe one of the arts of being a woman is being pressed, but not appearing pressed. ;)

Awww, relax. :) You are overthinking it. You feel more invested in it b/c you initiated the exchange. I am glad you did step out of your comfort zone. Kudos for that.

Who knows what happened? Maybe he's caught up in business, still abroad and not all texts are going through, lost his phone, maybe he doesnt want to appear too into you (he stared a hole into you on numerous occassions) etc. The point is 2 days isn't that long. Just be the sweetheart you are when he does call. I firmly believe one of the arts of being a woman is being pressed, but not appearing pressed. ;)

I may be over thinking it. That is what my friend has told me. I guess, I forgot how worrisome I could get over these things. I am not used to it, as I haven't truly liked/had a crush on a guy in over 4 years. I hate this feeling of anticipation and I didn't miss it.

Very vague text msg. Maybe be a little more specific

I am going to be more specific and even send him pictures if he asks because I will ask for pictures too. However, I want him to answer back first, so I don't seem too pressed. I've answered vague messages before like "Wassup?" At least answer with a "Remind me of who you are again?" since he doesn't have my number and I have his.

No pics. Lol. If he can't remember you from a brief description, after staring holes in you, that's when it's time to stop talking to him.

You waited two weeks to text him?? Did you tell him who you were when you texted him? I think you waited too long, if someone waited two weeks to text me I would think they weren't that interested.

You waited two weeks to text him?? Did you tell him who you were when you texted him? I think you waited too long, if someone waited two weeks to text me I would think they weren't that interested.

I waited two weeks, because he said he wouldn't be back in the States for another two weeks. He also didn't have his phone with him. He gave me a New York number and not an international number.

oh he wasn't coming back for two weeks right?? girl I dunno, maybe he's not back yet? maybe he's waiting till he settles down into the swing of things, so many maybe's..

And,

'Hi. How are you? This is Donna.'

Vs.

'Hi. How are you? This is Donna. We meet in London 2 weeks ago before I left to return to the states. The one with the killa legs.'

Are 2 very different text messages. The second references time and place of meeting along with a prominent physical attribute. Hmmm...maybe that's the issue. He doesn't remember-you didn't give him enough to go on.

ETA: Even with him staring at you, it has been 2 weeks. He might have needed his memory jarred.

Last edited:
No pics. Lol. If he can't remember you from a brief description, after staring holes in you, that's when it's time to stop talking to him.

That's what I'm saying he stared at me enough to know the number of the pores on my face. :grin: Before I caught him, who knows how long he was staring? Or what about the times I did not catch him? I didn't mind him staring though, because I would have liked to stare at him too, but I was too busy dancing and having a good time.

I would say give him a few more days. Men are oblivious sometimes when it comes to a woman's feelings. It IS annoying when they don't contact immediately but perhaps he exchanged numbers with other folks at this gathering and doesn't exactly remember who you are.

Either way I wouldn't let this one dude deter you from approaching a man in the future.

maybe it was a house number? lol

No he said it was his blackberry number. the first contact I asked him for was facebook. He said he didn't do facebook, because he doesn't like it. He said he was giving me his blackberry number. I guess I should actually try calling in another week. I guess, but I don't want to. :look:

Last edited:
And,

'Hi. How are you? This is Donna.'

Vs.

'Hi. How are you? This is Donna. We meet in London 2 weeks ago before I left to return to the states. The one with the killa legs.'

Are 2 very different text messages. The second references time and place of meeting along with a prominent physical attribute. Hmmm...maybe that's the issue. He doesn't remember-you didn't give him enough to go on.

This is exactly what the text said "Hi *****! This is ****. We met at **** in ******. It's been a while. Are you back in the States yet?

I would say give him a few more days. Men are oblivious sometimes when it comes to a woman's feelings. It IS annoying when they don't contact immediately but perhaps he exchanged numbers with other folks at this gathering and doesn't exactly remember who you are.

Either way I wouldn't let this one dude deter you from approaching a man in the future.

That is exactly what my friend said when I told her I am never going to do that again. I don't know how I am going to work up the courage next time or when there will be a next time! At this rate, I am not going to be really attracted to another guy until I am 30!

That is exactly what my friend said when I told her I am never going to do that again. I don't know how I am going to work up the courage next time or when there will be a next time! At this rate, I am not going to be really attracted to another guy until I am 30!

haha you sound like me. I think I like a guy like every 2 or 3 years! There will be another.

Right!

He may be busy.
He may have a wife or SO
He may have deleted your text by accident
He may be overwhelmed by your beauty
He may have stared because you look like someone he knows/knew
He may be trying to get up the nerve to respond and say something witty
He may have had a death in the family

All the possibilities! :lol:

All I would say is go about your business. He may call, he may not, but get back on that horse (or bicycle-whatever you prefer) and continue showing the world your charm and grace. Approach away! :yep:

Right!

He may be busy. :yep: Okay he maybe. But are guys ever to "Busy" for the women they are truly interested in?
He may have a wife or SO BOO! HISS! I told my friend I didn't even ask him if he was single.
He may have deleted your text by accident Darn! I hope not. Then I would be a jerk for just deleting him like that. I have never accidentally deleted a text though. Cause my phone prompts about two times with "Are you sure?" "No, are you really, really sure you want to delete this text?" :lol: Don't know how blackberries work though.
He may be overwhelmed by your beauty No I don't think so, I am a human, Not a unicorn. :lol:
He may have stared because you look like someone he knows/knew I get that I look like someone's family or what not a lot, but usually people come up and tell me. That should have been one of the first things he said to me
He may be trying to get up the nerve to respond and say something witty It doesn't take 48 hours to respond with something witty especially with the Internet to help you
He may have had a death in the family :sad: I hope not.

All the possibilities! :lol:

All I would say is go about your business. He may call, he may not, but get back on that horse (or bicycle-whatever you prefer) and continue showing the world your charm and grace. Approach away! :yep:

Yeah, don't they warn about women approaching men? It usually doesn't work out, because the man wants to feel like he had the choice. He will always feel like he didn't have the first choice. Plus, I don't want to set myself up to be used.

Sounds like he was attracted but possibly has someone back home, hence the lack of initiative.

Man oh man! that would really suck! However, I sort of expected it. It isn't likely that I man who looks like him and so tall/athletic would be single. Plus, his accent was so :lick: OH well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I assumed he was single since he gave me his contacts. I mean, if I were in a relationship I wouldn't be giving my contacts to random men. I sometimes assume the best of people.

I think you probably waited too long. I would have just texted him right then and told him now you have my number too. That way you wouldn't have to wonder, if he texted or called he was interested, if he didn't, he wasn't.

I don't know...he didn't have his phone with him (not sure I believe that), he didn't come up and talk to you again after that first time, he doesn't have a Facebook (not sure I believe that either), and now he hasn't responded to the text...maybe he wasn't interested. I could be wrong.

I hope your fake trip was like academy award winning and that your friend wasn't obvious when she was reporting back to you because otherwise...it could've kind of come off a little teenager-y.

I've never asked for a guy's number...I think that next time you like a guy, you should probably put yourself in his line of sight, and that's about it. But if you do go up to him, just chit chat and let him ask for your info. (You could just go get drinks for you and your friend or go to the bathroom and cross paths with him while on your way.) I know you were thinking, well this is my last chance since I'm leaving tomorrow and since I haven't been attracted to anyone in the past 4 years I better not let him go...well, he doesn't know that it's been so long since you were attracted to anyone, all he knows is that you were kind of pursuing him, and I've never met a guy who liked that.

Just think of it like this, every experience brings you closer to your goal even if you fall flat on your face. We all have to fall sometimes in life...that's my guru moment for the day! :lachen: Anyway, good luck and don't feel bad, everyone has been rejected.

Man oh man! that would really suck! However, I sort of expected it. It isn't likely that I man who looks like him and so tall/athletic would be single. Plus, his accent was so :lick: OH well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I assumed he was single since he gave me his contacts. I mean, if I were in a relationship I wouldn't be giving my contacts to random men. I sometimes assume the best of people.

It's not a crime to exchange information especially if it may mean a person is making a business contact.

Like I said, don't give up on approaching someone if you have interest in them because all you're doing is giving a "nudge." If they don't act on it, move on.

Remember "Practice makes Perfect."

I think you probably waited too long. I would have just texted him right then and told him now you have my number too. That way you wouldn't have to wonder, if he texted or called he was interested, if he didn't, he wasn't.

I don't know...he didn't have his phone with him (not sure I believe that), he didn't come up and talk to you again after that first time, he doesn't have a Facebook (not sure I believe that either), and now he hasn't responded to the text...maybe he wasn't interested. I could be wrong.

I hope your fake trip was like academy award winning and that your friend wasn't obvious when she was reporting back to you because otherwise...it could've kind of come off a little teenager-y.

I've never asked for a guy's number...I think that next time you like a guy, you should probably put yourself in his line of sight, and that's about it. But if you do go up to him, just chit chat and let him ask for your info. (You could just go get drinks for you and your friend or go to the bathroom and cross paths with him while on your way.) I know you were thinking, well this is my last chance since I'm leaving tomorrow and since I haven't been attracted to anyone in the past 4 years I better not let him go...well, he doesn't know that it's been so long since you were attracted to anyone, all he knows is that you were kind of pursuing him, and I've never met a guy who liked that.

Just think of it like this, every experience brings you closer to your goal even if you fall flat on your face. We all have to fall sometimes in life...that's my guru moment for the day! :lachen: Anyway, good luck and don't feel bad, everyone has been rejected.

Well, I wasn't going to ask him for his number. I have never asked a guy for his number before and probably never will again unless it's just for business/career reasons. When I offered him my contact info, he did the empty pockets move. You know when someone turns their pockets inside out to show that they have nothing. I don't see anything wrong with him not having his phone or anything on him. The place was crawling with pickpockets and people were reporting stolen cameras, wallets, and phones all weekend.

I only waited two weeks, since he said he would not be back in the States until two weeks. If he were interested, why did he approach me first? why did he stare at me so much? why did he even bother to give me any info? UGH! I know the way I approached him seemed a bit teenager-ish, however, I am working with what little experience I have. I've never done anything like that in my life. Gosh, what was I supposed to do just let it go and regret it forever? I still regret the last guy I was attracted to four years ago and I blocked him every time he tried to interact with me. I am not getting any younger and I don't want to end up with someone I don't like. I rather stay single if it's that deal. I don't care for anymore experiences with approaching guys. I always felt that if a guy really liked a girl, he would do all the initial approaching and make sure he got her contact information. I thought it was weird that he seemed attracted, but failed to make an initiative to keep in touch. Several guys approached my friend and they made sure to get her contact info and called her right away. I told her something didn't seem right about this guy.

Last edited:
He might be married :look: He probably thought you were beautiful, hence the staring, but maybe that's it because he is taken. Since the text has your name and where you met, I don't think it was too vague.

He might be married :look: He probably thought you were beautiful, hence the staring, but maybe that's it because he is taken. Since the text has your name and where you met, I don't think it was too vague.

He seemed quite young to be married. Looked about 23/24. (Note: To everyone, I look much younger than 26, so he probably thought I was his age or younger) He said he was in school for engineering and was working also. At most, he probably has a serious/long-term girlfriend. I wish he didn't get my hopes up, by giving me the time of the day. There goes my confidence level for the next few years!

UGH I am going to TEAR MYSELF UP IN THE GYM TONIGHT! I need to ease my mind! I just can't man. Nothing ever works out for me relationship-wise. I give the h*** up. Thanks all you ladies for your advice. I really appreciate it. I am going to delete his number. My heart can't take anymore rejection. Direct or Indirect.

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't going to ask him for his number. I have never asked a guy for his number before and probably never will again unless it's just for business/career reasons. When I offered him my contact info, he did the empty pockets move. You know when someone turns their pockets inside out to show that they have nothing. I don't see anything wrong with him not having his phone or anything on him. The place was crawling with pickpockets and people were reporting stolen cameras, wallets, and phones all weekend.

I only waited two weeks, since he said he would not be back in the States until two weeks. If he were interested, why did he approach me first? why did he stare at me so much? why did he even bother to give me any info? UGH! I know the way I approached him seemed a bit teenager-ish, however, I am working with what little experience I have. I've never done anything like that in my life. Gosh, what was I supposed to do just let it go and regret it forever? I still regret the last guy I was attracted to four years ago and I blocked him every time he tried to interact with me. I am not getting any younger and I don't want to end up with someone I don't like. I rather stay single if it's that deal. I don't care for anymore experiences with approaching guys. I always felt that if a guy really liked a girl, he would do all the initial approaching and make sure he got her contact information. I thought it was weird that he seemed attracted, but failed to make an initiative to keep in touch. Several guys approached my friend and they made sure to get her contact info and called her right away. I told her something didn't seem right about this guy.

Deep breaths! It's fine and you did fine, I didn't mean to sound critical, just saying what I would've done differently.

I think that you've learned and adjusted from your experience with the dude you liked, but rejected anyway. Now this little experience is just another experience that you'll learn from and maybe next time you'll do things a little bit differently. The exasperation, confusion and everything that you're feeling is normal...they call it growing pains for a reason.

And I agree with you about approaching guys.

Ok, ok. When a man is interested, he will pursue/call/stalk/whatever. Rather than trying to figure out "why, why, why" stop and move on, a business man who forgot his phone? Hmmmm. Men are not this complicated, and since he is not responding he's not worth it.

Hugs hun, 5'10? I'm drooling over your sexy height.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

Last edited:
Back