GET YOUR BLACK BELT IN HAIR !!!

WHAT'S YOUR RANKING

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think I have a Red comb now. I will not have my Black belt in hair care until I learn how to get my hair "salon straight" without the assistance of a stylist. Cute thread!

For those who are using the term "manage"-how is it that your hair is being "manage" and what attributes do you subscribe to "manageable" hair. Because I think this is what's key and what's MISSING in this dialogue. If your (relaxed/natural) 4a/4b who suggests that manageable hair is easily combed or detangled, I'll have you know that people with long (bsl+) natural hair with this type forgo combing almost altogether. The context in which you are describing these attributes makes all the difference :yep:

True. I think the argument is based in semantics. What if people with 1A-3A hair wanted 4B hair... their hair would "hard to manage" since they'd have to go through all the hoopla to get their hair kinky. I think it's the same thing... by "manage", I think they mean to straighten and to get to look more like 1A-3A hair, but if people with 4A & 4B hair embrace their natural texture it would be easy. So yes it is harder to get 4A/B hair to look 1A-3A but it's not harder to manage it.

True. I think the argument is based in semantics. What if people with 1A-3A hair wanted 4B hair... their hair would "hard to manage" since they'd have to go through all the hoopla to get their hair kinky. I think it's the same thing... by "manage", I think they mean to straighten and to get to look more like 1A-3A hair, but if people with 4A & 4B hair embrace their natural texture it would be easy. So yes it is harder to get 4A/B hair to look 1A-3A but it's not harder to manage it.

Agreed! :yep: Manageable to me means easier to detangle and keep strong and moisturized. :up: I have really thick hair. :yep:

SouthernTease, I love your hair color. Is that ur natural hair color or is it hennaed or smthg?

True...your statement reminds me of the saying.." beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

i'm a red comb. After trying a lot of new stuff with my hair and realizing that not everything is for everyone i went back to basics. i'm now on the path to recovery and my hair's thanking me for it.

Scratch that last answer. After reading all the levels thoroughly I'm a black comb. I do teach others all the time what to do and when. It seems i'm always answering questions when my hair's down.

I would imagine myself to be a black belt. Not only can I handle my hair and its texture but relaxed heads as well. Can also handle different textures of hair as well as my own 4Z stuff.:yep:

Been working in hair since I was 10 years old, from braids, to pressing, to chemicals, to natural.

Have been teaching more people than I care to think about regarding hair care and how to take care of their own hair. It has been a passion and hobbie for a very very very looooooooong time.

But like any other master I am always learning and developing too.

I agree.
I don't think our hair is unmanageable per se and I do think we can have relatively low key reggies if we aren't dead set on having hawaiain silky hair 24/7.:yep:
But by manageable I mean the effort I have to put into my hair to keep it detangled and moisturized.
IMO it's a huge difference if I can just use whatever random conditioner is available and not worry about moisturizing too much versus having to find the right products and the right techniques in order to wash and detangle my hair.

as a natural I was definitely black comb status

as a relaxed head I am in between red and black, tryin to get fully to black.

Agreed! :yep: Manageable to me means easier to detangle and keep strong and moisturized. :up: I have really thick hair. :yep:

SouthernTease, I love your hair color. Is that ur natural hair color or is it hennaed or smthg?

I haven't dyed my hair in over a year... so I guess it is my natural color... I prefer it jet black. I tried the black dominican rinse in february but it was after i took the photos in my siggy...

Yeah, I don't really care for that part....in a lot of ways I'm a black comb, I'm just not natural.

ARR

I like, I like.... though the relaxed sistas can't become a black comb? :look: I've seen some lovely, healthy heads here that would be worthy of black combs (in my head, at least).

:lol: And I know - it's coming from your POV as a transitioner..... but..... you know there are gonna be words about that, right? :lol:

I know it's your opinion and I respect it, but this seems a bit exclusionary IMO.

I get my hair done weekly, but I'm still in charge of my hair care on a daily basis. And I know who to flat iron, rollerset and blowout better than most. I just choose not to do it. Going to the salon for me is therapy and my treat to myself.

I am aware of what relaxers can do, however I know how to take care of my hair.

So IMO to be more inclusionary (since all of our goals are HEALTHY hair), if you take care of your hair (regardless of texture or chemicals applied) and you pass on information, that makes you a black comb in my book!!!!

Just my .10,

Sure sure... I'm biased on going natural... it's very progressive... I will venture to say that most women relax because they don't believe they can control their hair... they think relaxing is easier... we can do a poll on that too... but in order to be a BLACK COMB CHICK... you gotta be able to whirl and twirl that flatiron... you have to be a BEAST with BLOWOUTS and rollersets... why get a relaxer if you were truly truly a MASTER? Huh? Huh? Just food for thought. But yeah I do consider people like Cathy Howse and Lisa Akbari all Black Belt Chicks even though they were relaxed at the time they wrote their books, a relaxer was a choice for them not a last result. They could control their hair with or without a relaxer. I think PinkSkates is a Black Belt/COMB... actually I know a few on LHCF...SilverGirl... I could go on but most of the ones I found are featured on my blog... that's why I singled them out. You can have lovely hair, but you might go to the salon and get it done every week... BLACK COMB CHICKS ARE DYIers! They have skills to take care of their own hair, it has nothing to do with how good your hair looks. :yep::yep::yep: Plus, it's just my opinion... and who am I???

I'm between the Red and the Black comb, I feel as though I'm always learning, giving and accepting advice, so I'm kinda in limbo :look:, but I picked Red.

I'm a blue comb - working towards the Black with proud - 3 1/2 months into my healthy haircare system. Yay!!!

I think I will always be a red comb since I think there will always be room to learn something new--like my new pleasant experience with flat ironing my hair.

Don't think I will ever be a black comb coz none of the other colors really apply to me--and if I understand correctly, to be a black comb, one needs to have some of the other colors in oneself..."Black signifies the combination of White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Brown, and Red" plus while I really feel I know my hair better than anyone else and know I'm the one running the show in this hair-dom, since I don't bother to read on things that don't pertain to my hair :giggle: , I would not be the right person to give anyone direction on good hair care--unless that person has my hair. :look: So I don't think I'll be planting any seeds anywhere.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Miss...Southern Tease......I'm relaxed but I'm claiming Black Comb....Being relaxed is a choice right now , not something I have to do...I'm a DYIer ....I don't trust anyone in my hair...Trims, relaxers, rinses, cuts, whatever .....The only thing I don't do is braid my own hair....I don't see my self going natural anytime soon....I love the relaxed look ....To me why grow out or cut off my relaxer .....Just to keep a hot comb, or flat-iron in it.....A lot of women leave relaxing for hair health....My hair is healthy, My hair grows with or with-out a relaxer....

I'm claiming it yah....Black Comb.......Relaxed and all.......:lachen::lachen:
I don't blame you, Traycee! The black comb is yours, rightfully so! You've definitely earned it! After all, us relaxed heads do have to learn how to manage our natural new growth in between relaxers or stretches!!! Claim it girl, it's yours!!!! :drunk: Great thread, ST!

i hit black, but i am brown when it comes to my natural hair journey. i learned that keeping it simple is the magic trick. weaves and potions just aren't for me anymore.

I'm purple. I won't go natural so I'm talking about relaxed hair. I was a brown but decided to co wash everyday and have horrible tangle where I pull out HUGE hand fulls of hair. So I'm in braids for the summer(w MTG). I had really long hair that I co washed and wore down everyday then somebody tried to kill me and I cut it all off. I want my hair back I just need to remember what I used to do before.

I'm purple. I won't go natural so I'm talking about relaxed hair. I was a brown but decided to co wash everyday and have horrible tangle where I pull out HUGE hand fulls of hair. So I'm in braids for the summer(w MTG). I had really long hair that I co washed and wore down everyday then somebody tried to kill me and I cut it all off. I want my hair back I just need to remember what I used to do before.

Wha, wha???:blush:

For me I don't have to flat-iron often because I'am relaxed......I wear my hair down , and have very slick pony tail and buns with out flat-ironing being relaxed....I can flat-iron when I choose to have a bone straight look....but if I was natural with 4b hair I would be straighting more often....My point was to say a person is more skilled or has healthier hair because they are natural is just not true....I'm relaxed with a head full of healthy hair!!!Give credit where credit is due....Most of the women that went natural was because they could not achieve their goals relaxed....But that does not apply to everyone..There are women here that have hair to die for ...and they are relaxed women with skills!!!

Preach! Oh and I'm a green comb...:look:

:grin:

I could not find a nice way to say this so I didnt post at all. Thank you for echoing my thoughts. :realitycheck::grin:

Me too. Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. If I was a 3 texture, I believe I'd go natural in a heartbeat.

I do think this thread is cute until I realized that it was for naturals only. THere's nothing wrong with that but I think a lot of relaxed heads got offended at some of the generalizations about why we relax.

Carry on...

Back