After washing in braids do you comb...

• Under the shower stream

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • On damp hair full of conditioner or leave-ins

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 15 18.3%

• Total voters
Well, I did it for the first time and it was so much easier! Don't know what I was waitin' for. :rolleyes: I used Chicoro's method and made four braids.

I may do this also with my next henna treatment.:)

Isis said:
Well, I did it for the first time and it was so much easier! Don't know what I was waitin' for. :rolleyes: I used Chicoro's method and made four braids.

I may do this also with my next henna treatment.:)

Yay!:clap: Glad it worked for you, Isis.

After reading this post I decided to try this out. I washed my hair in two braids this past weekend and I’m thrilled with the results. After I rinsed out the conditioner and turned the water off, I un-braided my hair (while still soaking wet) and sprayed Mane N Tale detangler in my hair. I combed through my hair starting at the bottom and worked my way to the top. My roots were as straight as they could be and my hair was so easy to comb through. I doubt I’ll wash my hair without braids again.

This is the only way that I wash my hair & have been doing this for about 2 to 3 years now.

I part my hair in 6 sections and twist them. I then undo one section and add my prepoo mixture and retwist. I then repeat the same procedure for shampoo and conditioning

As my hair is thick and extremely tangly, this is the only way that I not only avoid tangles but I also ensure that my hair has been thoroughty pre-pooed/shampooed/conditioned and rinsed.

Got this advice for washing in sections from the C&G site and never looked back. Makes life so much easier

Sometimes I will wet my hair and apply tons of condish, then detangle and braid into 6-8 braids. I don't need a barrette, as I am natural and my naps hug each other at the end! Then I wash. There are no tangles this way.

Since my current daily style is cornrows that I wear underneath wigs, I wash in braids all the time. When I want to redo my braids I wet my hair and apply deep conditioner, put a plastic cap on and leave for several hours. Then I rinse out the condish in the shower with the cornrows still in. Then I take down each braid, comb it out, apply leave-ins and rebraid.

I don't think I could stand to be natural at this length if I didn't use this method. I remember when my hair was shorter, detangling was a massive PITA :spinning: and took forever... but now I almost never have any tangles.

I chose other. I detangle my hair before washing and then braid it. When I wash it, I my hair braided and secured with a barette. When I finally take the braids down, my hair is still tangle free ;) So I just brush it back into a bun. I have tried taking the braids down one by one under the shower but find that it is much simpler to detangle before hand. HTH :)

I do exactly that, and chose other as well. It would take too long to detangle under running water...... :nono:

do you ever find that you have a harder time clearing the buildup from your hair when it is in braids? i've tried the braids method and i had buildup/dirt stuck in my braids

I take each twist/braid down to rinse/wash it, so no, no buildup. If I washed without taking it down, yeah, I get major buildup.

I've been using this method for a while, and it makes things SO much easier. I let my hair airdry in the twists, too, once it's all rinsed out, and my hair stays tangle free - it's gotten easier and easier to detangle my hair over time - it's really fabulous.

I don't wash it braids but I usually wash in twists. When I do, I usually detangle before washing, twist each detangled section up, and then wash, condition, and let the hair air dry in the same twists. I can wear the twist out from that for at least a couple of days before retwisting. I usually don't take the twists or braids down. I don't have a problem with buildup, I don't think. I can get shampoo through my twists, but then again they are twists and not braids so they aren't as tight. I tried doing it in braids once and even though I thought I rinsed well the insides of my braids were still full of product. I'm not sure if it was the conditioner or the pre-poo or what, but I don't have this problem with twists. Every now and then I do a loose wash, too.

Last edited:
When I first learned about washing hair in braids, I'd undo each braid after applying conditioner, comb and then rebraid. Rinse in braids and undo one by one under running shower water and comb than rebraid under the shower.

But for a few years now, I've washed my hair in braids or twists w/o any undoing of the braids/twist, and without any combing. If I have been wearing my hair out, I will drench it with S Curl so I can comb it, and then plait it or twist it into many small sections. Only then do I wash my hair. The sections are so small that I do not worry about my hair not getting clean. I focus on shampooing my scalp and squeezing my twists/braids during the rinse as shampoo runs through them. I repeat if the suds look dirty. Then apply conditioner to the length of my braids/twist avoiding the scalp by not putting it on the bottom inch or so near my scalp. Again I squeeze for the condish to penetrate the braids/twists (and my DC under a dryer using a plastic cap). Rinse squeezing. Do my dunk. All this time, I do not undo or comb my hair. I find my hair stays tangle free and wash day is a breeze since I started doing this. So I can go for months w/o using a comb, but only as long as I am wearing braids or twists and twist-outs. And during this time, I don't use S Curl or any other product.

Even after several washes, my hair stays tangle-free as can be see in this twist I'm undoing here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

Last edited:
I wash my hair in 6 braids and my detangling session occurs at the end of everything with barely any product.

My hair does not like to be detangled under running water nor full of conditioner.

K..I'm slow....

Do you DC in braids?
I DC in braids, I did last night. I'm in cornrows right now. Currently I'm wearing a wig so I DC once a week. I'll be taking these cornrows down at the end of the month.

I chose other. I detangle my hair before washing and then braid it. When I wash it, I my hair braided and secured with a barette. When I finally take the braids down, my hair is still tangle free ;) So I just brush it back into a bun. I have tried taking the braids down one by one under the shower but find that it is much simpler to detangle before hand. HTH :)

As a relaxed/texlaxed head, I totally agree with this Guyaneek.

when do you do your detangling?
I dry detangle first, with the Chicoro method. sectioning the hair in 4 parts, then I take one of the 4 sections, and break that into 2 smaller sections. Then I take 1 of those smaller sections, and hold it like I am about to make a ponytail. I then smooth it down with my hands, holding that ponytail motion all the way down the hair shaft. once all my hair feels smooth, I gently seperate it searching for any tangles, ssk (single strand knots) ect. Once that's completely detangled, then I braid it up. I do this to the entire head.

But my question for you ladies who wash like this is, when do you comb out your hair?

Once in the shower, i first saturate my head and hair with water, using a strong stream of water on all areas of the scalp. I then, section by section, undo each braid, shampoo (concentrating on the scalp) and smooth the shampoo down each section and rinse. *THERE'S STILL NO COMBING AT THIS POINT* Now I apply my condish.

Do you undo a braid at a time and comb on damp hair full of conditioner?

With the condish in my hair, smoothed down as previously mentioned, I take out the shower comb and go through each section from tip to root gently. once it's completely detangled, still with condish on it, I braid it back up loosely and move on to the next section. Once my entire head is done, I rinse out the condish, and make sure NO CONDISH RESIDUE is left in my hair or on my scalp. This GREATLY reduces tangles and knotting. Makes wash day a breeze and I only have to detangle one time a week. :yep:

Back