GET YOUR BLACK BELT IN HAIR !!!

WHAT'S YOUR RANKING

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i'm still a youngin' when it comes to hair matters...but! i have learned a thing or two since joining LHCF (i have my own reggie now and everything! :grin:) but there is still much for me to learn.

Orange Comb today....Black Comb to come!!! :yep:

Sure sure... I'm biased on going natural... it's very progressive... I will venture to say that most women relax because they don't believe they can control their hair... they think relaxing is easier... we can do a poll on that too... but in order to be a BLACK COMB CHICK... you gotta be able to whirl and twirl that flatiron... you have to be a BEAST with BLOWOUTS and rollersets... why get a relaxer if you were truly truly a MASTER? Huh? Huh? Just food for thought. But yeah I do consider people like Cathy Howse and Lisa Akbari all Black Belt Chicks even though they were relaxed at the time they wrote their books, a relaxer was a choice for them not a last result. They could control their hair with or without a relaxer. I think PinkSkates is a Black Belt/COMB... actually I know a few on LHCF...SilverGirl... I could go on but most of the ones I found are featured on my blog... that's why I singled them out. You can have lovely hair, but you might go to the salon and get it done every week... BLACK COMB CHICKS ARE DYIers! They have skills to take care of their own hair, it has nothing to do with how good your hair looks. :yep::yep::yep: Plus, it's just my opinion... and who am I???

Hmm, I may be a black belt/comb instead of a red one then....but I still slowly curbing my pj habit..so I'll stick to red for now. Right now I'm coasting, but steadily growing in my hair journey-I can even get my hair straight with rollers/minimal direct heat :yay:By then end of this year, I'm going for the black rake comb :grin:.

Last edited:
I'm a green comb! I feel to grateful to have the opportunity to absorb such wonderful knowledge from all of you ladies. Each stretch becomes easier. I've had a few setbacks (too many trims, recent breakage at the back of my head), but I'm learning from my mistakes.

Hopefully, soon I'll progress to a blue comb where I'll stay until I decide to transition :yep:.

I'm defiantely a brown comb girl, will need to fully transition and master how to take care of my natural hair before I can get that black comb.

GOOD THREAD!

I have to say I am white comb at this time. Looking forward to becoming a BLACK COMB in the near future. I am still somewhat a NEWBIE to this hair site!

Sure sure... I'm biased on going natural... it's very progressive... I will venture to say that most women relax because they don't believe they can control their hair... they think relaxing is easier... we can do a poll on that too... but in order to be a BLACK COMB CHICK... you gotta be able to whirl and twirl that flatiron... you have to be a BEAST with BLOWOUTS and rollersets... why get a relaxer if you were truly truly a MASTER? Huh? Huh? Just food for thought. But yeah I do consider people like Cathy Howse and Lisa Akbari all Black Belt Chicks even though they were relaxed at the time they wrote their books, a relaxer was a choice for them not a last result. They could control their hair with or without a relaxer. I think PinkSkates is a Black Belt/COMB... actually I know a few on LHCF...SilverGirl... I could go on but most of the ones I found are featured on my blog... that's why I singled them out. You can have lovely hair, but you might go to the salon and get it done every week... BLACK COMB CHICKS ARE DYIers! They have skills to take care of their own hair, it has nothing to do with how good your hair looks. :yep::yep::yep: Plus, it's just my opinion... and who am I???

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Miss...Southern Tease......I'm relaxed but I'm claiming Black Comb....Being relaxed is a choice right now , not something I have to do...I'm a DYIer ....I don't trust anyone in my hair...Trims, relaxers, rinses, cuts, whatever .....The only thing I don't do is braid my own hair....I don't see my self going natural anytime soon....I love the relaxed look ....To me why grow out or cut off my relaxer .....Just to keep a hot comb, or flat-iron in it.....A lot of women leave relaxing for hair health....My hair is healthy, My hair grows with or with-out a relaxer....

I'm claiming it yah....Black Comb.......Relaxed and all.......:lachen::lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Miss...Southern Tease......I'm relaxed but I'm claiming Black Comb....Being relaxed is a choice right now , not something I have to do...I'm a DYIer ....I don't trust anyone in my hair...Trims, relaxers, rinses, cuts, whatever .....The only thing I don't do is braid my own hair....I don't see my self going natural anytime soon....I love the relaxed look ....To me why grow out or cut off my relaxer .....Just to keep a hot comb, or flat-iron in it.....A lot of women leave relaxing for hair health....My hair is healthy, My hair grows with or with-out a relaxer....

:grin: Tell it! I'm claiming either a Blue or Red Comb, because purple and brown combs don't apply... I won't be transitioning any time soon. I think I do a pretty good job at DIY haircare:yep: *snatching my red comb and rolling out of the thread*:auto::lachen:

Exactly! SouthernTease, I was w/you until you started talking about transitioning. :lol: Just like what Traycee said, why transition if you are going to put heat on it every week? If you were to say that a black comb is fully comfortable w/her hair in it's natural state, then maybe I could see ur pt, but straightening it is physically altering ur hair and not healthy IMHO. I don't subscribe to the belief that relaxed hair cannot be healthy or that it cannot be as healthy as natural hair. :nono:

so you think its better to keep relaxing and use heat weekly?

I think it is harder to keep your hair if you are relaxing and straightening like with an iron or something. Your hair is double processed and a lot more fragile. But its not impossible sure, I did it, and I got to APL, but I couldn't hold a curl, my hair was dull more than not, and it would break severely when I washed and got thin.

I wont speak for everyone, but I do think natural hair being straightened is healthier than relaxed hair being straightened. but i understand why you feel that way

Exactly! SouthernTease, I was w/you until you started talking about transitioning. :lol: Just like what Traycee said, why transition if you are going to put heat on it every week? If you were to say that a black comb is fully comfortable w/her hair in it's natural state, then maybe I could see ur pt, but straightening it is physically altering ur hair and not healthy IMHO. I don't subscribe to the belief that relaxed hair cannot be healthy or that it cannot be as healthy as natural hair. :nono:

I think it is harder to keep your hair if you are relaxing and straightening like with an iron or something. Your hair is double processed and a lot more fragile. But its not impossible sure, I did it, and I got to APL, but I couldn't hold a curl, my hair was dull more than not, and it would break severely when I washed and got thin.

I wont speak for everyone, but I do think natural hair being straightened is healthier than relaxed hair being straightened. but i understand why you feel that way

Yes. :yep: For me anyway, relaxing means less manipulation for my hair. :yep: I don't have to use as much heat if any at all to get my hair straight. I rollerset my hair anywhere from once to 3 times a week. I can let my hair airdry in the rollers and it is straight and bouncy. :yep: I don't use an iron. That's the beauty of having a relaxer. I can wear my hair straight or culry w/little manipulation and little or no heat. :yep: ;)

Great question, Aloofone! This dialogue is good.

For me I don't have to flat-iron often because I'am relaxed......I wear my hair down , and have very slick pony tail and buns with out flat-ironing being relaxed....I can flat-iron when I choose to have a bone straight look....but if I was natural with 4b hair I would be straighting more often....My point was to say a person is more skilled or has healthier hair because they are natural is just not true....I'm relaxed with a head full of healthy hair!!!Give credit where credit is due....Most of the women that went natural was because they could not achieve their goals relaxed....But that does not apply to everyone..There are women here that have hair to die for ...and they are relaxed women with skills!!!

Alright, im transitoning myself

But i have to say this, and i dont mean to be negative....

Going natural is not mandatory for everyone or all black women, its only a personal indivual choice, not a step that must be taken.

I dont understand how people decide to go natural, and then try to classify and think they know the reasons why everyone else relax's or they think that everyone else SHOULD go natural

Southerntease, you arent even natural yet (not trying to be rude), so i personally dont think you can speack on the opposite side of relaxers yet or say that going natural is a milestone in being an expert of haircare...
Also, (again not trying to be rude) you've only just started your hair journey a year ago....

But as stated, it is your own opinion, and that was mine--again wasnt trying to be rude, negative, or offensive.

I would be a purple belt

For me I don't have to flat-iron often because I'am relaxed......I wear my hair down , and have very slick pony tail and buns with out flat-ironing being relaxed....I can flat-iron when I choose to have a bone straight look....but if I was natural with 4b hair I would be straighting more often....My point was to say a person is more skilled or has healthier hair because they are natural is just not true....I'm relaxed with a head full of healthy hair!!!Give credit where credit is due....Most of the women that went natural was because they could not achieve their goals relaxed....But that does not apply to everyone..There are women here that have hair to die for ...and they are relaxed women with skills!!!
:yep: I agree completely and totaly:grin:
Im a Black Belt
Im relaxed and a total DIYer
Ive been natural and relaxed over the years and handled both.

Last edited:
:yep: I agree completely and totaly:grin:
Im a Black Belt
Im relaxed and a total DIYer
Ive been natural and relaxed over the years and handled both.

Ooh and ur hair certainly is nice. I think u bring up a great pt! Shouldn't a black comb be able to handle her hair in BOTH states? To me if u can't handle ur hair if it is relaxed, colored, relaxed and colored, natural, natural and colored, etc., then why should u get to be a black comb? If u were never relaxed EVER to begin w/then maybe I could see, but if u were relaxed and FAILED to achieve length and health, then to me u, I don't know if u should achieve black comb status. :lol: How can we be so sure that u understand the concept of balancing moisture and protein? And what about length? Shouldn't u have at least reached a certain length, full and healthy, even if u decide to cut it off, to be considered a black comb? :scratchch

Traycee said:

I agree. Some women chose to go natural b/c they gave up on trying to care for relaxed hair. :yep: So, maybe they don't fully understand relaxed hair anyway. :ohwell: That's why they are making assumptions like relaxed hair isn't healthy and that it is too much heat. They were probably frying the heck out of their relaxed hair. Minimal heat is key. :yep:

I thought maybe I commented in the wrong thread after reading it. I had to go back and see if I missed that this was a poll for transitioners and naturals....lol:blush:
Was this thread supposed to be for transitioners and naturals? It didnt state that but just going by how the categories read I would say so.:scratchch

Last edited:
Alright, im transitoning myself

But i have to say this, and i dont mean to be negative....

Going natural is not mandatory for everyone or all black women, its only a personal indivual choice, not a step that must be taken.

I dont understand how people decide to go natural, and then try to classify and think they know the reasons why everyone else relax's or they think that everyone else SHOULD go natural

Southerntease, you arent even natural yet (not trying to be rude), so i personally dont think you can speack on the opposite side of relaxers yet or say that going natural is a milestone in being an expert of haircare...
Also, (again not trying to be rude) you've only just started your hair journey a year ago....

But as stated, it is your own opinion, and that was mine--again wasnt trying to be rude, negative, or offensive.

I would be a purple belt

ita with this post and Traycee's it seems that southern tease is tranistioning for her own personal reasons and trying to push those reasons (why she was relaxing) to suit every person who relaxes, i relaxed cause its a personal choice and i dont see how being natural would make me a 'pro' at taking care of my hair...btw i was natural for 17yrs of my life ( my mom and sis taking care of my hair and doing a great job and relaxed now for 3 n a half yrs ( taking care of my hair myself n thrown in the deep end :nono:)so ive seen both sides of the spectrum unless of course this thread is for those who are natural or thinking of being natural only.

either way im a green comb :perplexed

Ooh and ur hair certainly is nice. I think u bring up a great pt! Shouldn't a black comb be able to handle her hair in BOTH states? To me if u can't handle ur hair if it is relaxed, colored, relaxed and colored, natural, natural and colored, etc., then why should u get to be a black comb? If u were never relaxed EVER to begin w/then maybe I could see, but if u were relaxed and FAILED to achieve length and health, then to me u, I don't know if u should achieve black comb status. :lol: How can we be so sure that u understand the concept of balancing moisture and protein? And what about length? Shouldn't u have at least reached a certain length, full and healthy, even if u decide to cut it off, to be considered a black comb? :scratchch
Thank u Lovelylocs

U raise some interresting points my friend :think:
Maybe that would be another category altogether....MASTER comb:grin:

ita with this post and Traycee's it seems that southern tease is tranistioning for her own personal reasons and trying to push those reasons (why she was relaxing) to suit every person who relaxes, i relaxed cause its a personal choice and i dont see how being natural would make me a 'pro' at taking care of my hair...btw i was natural for 17yrs of my life ( my mom and sis taking care of my hair and doing a great job and relaxed now for 3 n a half yrs ( taking care of my hair myself n thrown in the deep end :nono:)so ive seen both sides of the spectrum unless of course this thread is for those who are natural or thinking of being natural only.

either way im a green comb :perplexed

Well, in all fairness, I wouldn't go that far. ;) I think that b/c she is transitioning, she just happened to make a biased poll and thread that based on her current feelings and experience. I don't think she was intentionally trying to push an agenda. :lol: I think she just overlooked and didn't realize some things. That's all.

Thank u Lovelylocs

U raise some interresting points my friend :think:
Maybe that would be another category altogether....MASTER comb:grin:

:lol: Yea, b/c it wasn't until I learned to take care of double processed hair (relaxed and colored) that I learned about the hair strand itself (cortex, etc.) A black comb should know about all of that IMHO.

I'm a proud yellow comb. I think I'd still be a yellow comb even if I was natural because I suck at doing hair.
I Like this thread.

I don't know if I would consider myself a black comb. I have some serious credentials IMO though. I can rollerset my hair. And even though I am relaxed straight, I could PASS for a natural. :yep: When I twist out, people think my hair grows like that. When my hair is blownout, people think that it just grows out of my scalp straight like that. People used to clap at the salon after my hair was blown out b/c it just looked so healthy and pretty. :yep:

There are still some things that I feel that I need to learn. :yep: For instance, I need to master self-relaxing. I don't go to a salon for my relaxers, but I have my mom put it in. I do her retouches too. So, I know how to do a relaxer, I just don't do my own. I would really like to. Also, I would like to learn how to cut, not just trim but a serious cut. I want to learn how to do color and natural looking highlights too. I want to get more serious w/a blowdryer too. :yep: I also want to find away to bring that extra shine to my hair, not ur typical black girl shine. :nono: I mean SERIOUS shine. And there's still so much more...

Well, in all fairness, I wouldn't go that far. ;) I think that b/c she is transitioning, she just happened to make a biased poll and thread that based on her current feelings and experience. I don't think she was intentionally trying to push an agenda. :lol: I think she just overlooked and didn't realize some things. That's all.

Actually i dont think she is pushing an agenda but like she said she is biased on going natural i just said she seems to think our reasons for relaxing are the same i.e not being able to deal with our natural hair etc (sorry im not good at double qouting :blush:) and my point was why cant me as a relaxed head get to a black comb? if my hair care is on point, it seems all the ladies who have very helathy relaxed hair on this board are being left out but at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinions and i was just stating mine in this discussion.:yep:

Southern tease said
Sure sure... I'm biased on going natural... it's very progressive... I will venture to say that most women relax because they don't believe they can control their hair... they think relaxing is easier... we can do a poll on that too... but in order to be a BLACK COMB CHICK... you gotta be able to whirl and twirl that flatiron... you have to be a BEAST with BLOWOUTS and rollersets... why get a relaxer if you were truly truly a MASTER? Huh? Huh? Just food for thought. But yeah I do consider people like Cathy Howse and Lisa Akbari all Black Belt Chicks even though they were relaxed at the time they wrote their books, a relaxer was a choice for them not a last result. They could control their hair with or without a relaxer.

Actually i dont think she is pushing an agenda but like she said she is biased on going natural i just said she seems to think our reasons for relaxing are the same i.e not being able to deal with our natural hair etc (sorry im not good at double qouting :blush:) and my point was why cant me as a relaxed head get to a black comb? if my hair care is on point, it seems all the ladies who have very helathy relaxed hair on this board are being left out but at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinions and i was just stating mine in this discussion.:yep:

Southern tease said
Sure sure... I'm biased on going natural... it's very progressive... I will venture to say that most women relax because they don't believe they can control their hair... they think relaxing is easier... we can do a poll on that too... but in order to be a BLACK COMB CHICK... you gotta be able to whirl and twirl that flatiron... you have to be a BEAST with BLOWOUTS and rollersets... why get a relaxer if you were truly truly a MASTER? Huh? Huh? Just food for thought. But yeah I do consider people like Cathy Howse and Lisa Akbari all Black Belt Chicks even though they were relaxed at the time they wrote their books, a relaxer was a choice for them not a last result. They could control their hair with or without a relaxer.

I concede. ;) You are right. :lol: Whirl and twirl that flat iron? Beast w/blowouts and rollersets? Are u trying to fry ur hair off? :lol: The way it is worded makes it sound like ALOT of heat. :lol: Relaxed or natural, ur hair will break, I don't care how much protein u use.

Also, not to say that one is better than the other, but before one judges...

How many waist length/ midback length natural 4a/4b, thick, dense people have we seen on this board? Not many... How many relaxed? Many. Why? manipulation. :twocents:

:hide:

:nono::nono:I think yall are turning this into natural v relaxed debate when its not.

This was supposed to be fun...:ohwell:

Here I am late to class again

:nono::nono:I think yall are turning this into natural v relaxed debate when its not.

This was supposed to be fun...:ohwell:

Here I am late to class again

It isnt staying on topic, but imagine if somone started a thread about being a hair master and step 8 was realizing that you needed to relax :ohwell: and the person who started the thread was completly natural a year ago.....

But anyway, let me stay up out of here. It was intended for fun and its opinons...but i still think that we should be considerate of where everyone is with their hair choices *shrugs*---Back to the topic

Back