FROM BC TO WAIST LENGTH! Natural growth and health CHALLENGE.

Hi Everyone! Finally made some time to measure and take pics. It was hard to use the measuring tape to get accurate measurements.

I BCed on 7.31.10 so I'm almost 6 months natural and loving it! I'm still getting the hang of taking care of my hair and trying to find products that my hair likes. My hair has a lot of shrinkage, so I'm trying to find things that will loosen the curl a bit. I will be doing a yogurt treatment tonight or tomorrow night.

Here's a pic that I took yesterday morning:
begh90.jpg

These were taken today:

Side - approximately 4.5 (if I measured properly)
35ja00g.jpg

Back Right - if measured properly about 5.25-5.50 inches
9t1ojt.jpg

Front Bang - if measured properly about 5 inches
2h5uvs1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey ladies. I'm doing okay. I'm so not feeling my hair length though. I think once I hit that 8 inch mark, I'll be good but until then I'm sitting pretty at 4.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I spent 3 hours cornrowing my hair yesterday. I did 4 rows going straight back. I'm going to keep them in for as long as possible--preferably a month. I have never attempted to rock a style with my natural hair for this long so wish me luck. With it braided back like this, I can just wear a headband, a beanie or a wig--so it does have its versatility. I love low maintenance styles.

Hi I'm Shavonne and I just BC'd on Dec 27th. I decided to go natural because of postpartum shedding and breakage. I am so happy with my decision... my husband is still getting used to it. :ohwell: I have less than one inch of hair and I *think* I may be 4a. My regimen is very simple... I DC once a week with a mix of Lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol, honey and EVOO and cowash about 3 times a week with suave. I moisturize twice a day with s-curl and seal with EVCO. That's it! Looking forward to growing with you ladies!

Dec 2009 - APL
104_0288.jpg

Sept 2010 - after postpartum shedding
105_0140.jpg

Jan 2011
100_1967EDIT.jpg
100_2026.jpg

Although I get tons of compliments on my tree braids, I'm ready to wear my own hair. :-( I wish it was WSL already. I'm getting impatient.*sigh* Hopefully, it'll be APL by the end of this year. If so, no more protective styles for me! Just venting, ladies...

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

My last relaxer was January 11, 2010 and I BC'd July 9, 2010.

I think I got and retained all 6" of growth for that year...

Attachments

• lc2.JPG
    lc2.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Sorry, I can't join b/c I have more than 4" of hair in the back, but about 4-5 inches in the front --and my last texlaxer was before Oct 09, but good luck to all the ladies! I will be doing my own modified version of this challenge privately...happy hair growing! I have a WL goal of Dec. 2012-Feb. 2013.

Last edited:
Hey guys checking in I'm braided under a wig I dc e days a go with some giovanni deeper moisture and I might do my first henna treatment later this week:) wish me luck

Hey ladies. I'm doing okay. I'm so not feeling my hair length though. I think once I hit that 8 inch mark, I'll be good but until then I'm sitting pretty at 4.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I spent 3 hours cornrowing my hair yesterday. I did 4 rows going straight back. I'm going to keep them in for as long as possible--preferably a month. I have never attempted to rock a style with my natural hair for this long so wish me luck. With it braided back like this, I can just wear a headband, a beanie or a wig--so it does have its versatility. I love low maintenance styles.

I feel ya, girl, hang in there, though... I'm so impatient about my length,too. but it's coming, and more importantly the health is here now. Just try to distract yourself with something because, well, I won't say a watched pot never boil, because eventually it does, but its a beast to wait on...

I took my cornrows out tonight. I didn't make it a full month...probably about 3 weeks but thats a record for me. I shampooed with Loreal Everstrong Sulfate Free Shampoo (a sample)...good stuff...I'll probably purchase it when I'm out of poo. I'm attempting a rollerset tonight (I mainly want to stretch my hair so that I can cornrow it tomorrow)...and back under my wig (Juniper by Sensationnel) I shall go.

I've noticed my hair has grown a little more...maybe a quarter inch so I'm super excited about that.

I'm also trying out that Shea Moisture Leave-in...I'll let ya know if I like it.

Checkin-in! Took my hair down to get it rebraided. It seems to have gotten a lot longer. My braided keeps commenting on how long it is. It's a great possibly that I'll be WSL in 2013. Happy dance!

It sure is quiet on this board....Let's start back up the technique/product of the month! :grin:

In the meantime: I'm kinda trying to manage my patience more than my hair. I just did a trim. I didn't really have any split ends, but it had been a long time since I trimmed, so I just figured I should. But then I remembered why I don't trim...I'm too scissor-happy! Took off up to an inch is most places, 3/4 in others.Ooop! Oh well... :ohwell: maybe I can regain some of that before next length check!

Oh, and I need some advice about shedding. Seems excessive lately, not much breakage just shedding, but no change in regi or diet, etc. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I need some advice about shedding. Seems excessive lately, not much breakage just shedding, but no change in regi or diet, etc. Any suggestions?

Ditto! I'm having the same problem with shedding. I'll say it's been about a month now and seems much more than usual. I don't know if it's the weather, my products, or just my shedding season. I'm trying not to manipulate it too much, but it seems to be happening a lot.

I also don't detangle regularly (just finger comb and fluff out the fro), so maybe that has something to do with it.

It sure is quiet on this board....Let's start back up the technique/product of the month! :grin:

In the meantime: I'm kinda trying to manage my patience more than my hair. I just did a trim. I didn't really have any split ends, but it had been a long time since I trimmed, so I just figured I should. But then I remembered why I don't trim...I'm too scissor-happy! Took off up to an inch is most places, 3/4 in others.Ooop! Oh well... :ohwell: maybe I can regain some of that before next length check!

Try garlic pills...they have been said to decrease shedding. I take two a day and have not had any shedding issues. They are really inexpensive too so it's at least worth a try.

I agree. We should def start the technique/product of the month again. Its been waaay too quiet.

My hair was doing the shedding thing about a month ago. Thats when I threw some cornrows in and refused to touch it. It seems to have abated. I've heard that garlic pills were good for shedding but I have never tried them myself.

I wish I had some length, I would love to do some twists.
My hair has been breaking from my wig (the regular one). You know sometimes you slack...throw that wig on in the mornings. And shedding, I expect to have since I don't comb daily, any hairs that were to fall naturally, accumulate as well and fall when it's time to poo.
So when I poo, I have to comb my hair first then poo or I'll have a shower full of hair. It's not a handful of hair that's being lost but enough to notice every week or two. I'm at the point, that I need to have it braided and/or either start back using my lace wigs. Using my lace wigs, I just haven't been in the mood to flat iron in the mornings.

Hiya! Can I jump into this challenge?

I've got 4" of hair, not sure of the texture, suspect it may be 3b/c/4a and the strands are THICK, yet they love henna(??).

Still working out my regimen, but here it is so far:

- Prepoo/scalp massage with coconut oil
- Shampoo when needed with Mizani Moisturefusion Milk Bath
- Condition with either Organix Vanilla Silk or Coconut Milk Conditioner or Mizani Moisturefusion Silk Cream Conditioner
- Spitz with Mizani D'tangle
- Apply Mizani Rose H2O Condtioning Hairdress
- Seal with Coconut oil
-Monthly henna made with camomile tes or green tea, with a bit of cream coconut mixed in there.
-Weekly henna gloss or coconut milk/lime treatment
- Occasionally I cowash with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration <-- love the smell!

Oh and at night I use Mizani H2O Intense, that stuff has saved my hair :heart:
Basically my regimen is coconut, henna and Mizani lol, I'll add pics later :)

Try garlic pills...they have been said to decrease shedding. I take two a day and have not had any shedding issues. They are really inexpensive too so it's at least worth a try.

Thanks EllePixie, I'm going to give garlic a try...like right now!

It's crazy to hear that others are having some excessive shedding now too, so it's not just me? I remember a hairdresser I had decades ago saying that we shed more in the winter, but I disregarded it because it always seemed so counter-intuitive to evolutionary science....:perplexed... I mean, you would think that an animal, even the human animal would retain hair in the colder months to keep warm....on the other hand, there are those animals that shed their summer coats in lieu of a winter ones...maybe we fall in that group on some scientific level :look: ..Anyway, at least I do not suffer it alone. Thanks ladies!

Hey EllePixie, I love your spirals, in fact I love your whole look. Do you have a fotki I could stalk? :peek2:

:popcorn:

ETA: Ne'er mind, I just seen the link in your siggy....hmmm... been a long day, brain not working well... perfect time to fotki stalk!

Last edited:
I don't think I have posted much in this thread (I'm in the WL 2013 thread too.)
I'm putting down the scissors for a few months (I been a little scissor happy.) I'm thinking about getting a sew-in to help me keep my hands out of my hair for a bit. Hope to be at least grazing APL by the end of the year. Right now I'm at 4", APL is at 9" to 10" from my nape.

Hey ladies! i'm a newbie and I want to join this challenge. I big chopped October 1 2010 and I love my natural hair. My reggie includes pre-pooing with coconut oil and I shampoo and/or co-wash twice a week. Following that I DC after every wash with a mixture of cholestrol, wheat germ oil and whatever stimulating essential oil I have on hand. And in between washes I usually wear twist/bantu knot outs. So far so good. Oh yeah my hair is between 4 and 4.5 inches.

I've had my braids in for 2 months now. I re-did the 2 front rows and the back row 2 weeks ago. I really need to remove it all and do a through shampoo-ing and DC.

I hadn't planned on straightening until June, but I had an impromptu upscale date with DH last night and had nothing to do with my hair, so I straightened it.

My DH went nuts! It's not even long yet, but he was going crazy for it (and got very frisky :blush:)

It could be that he was just happy I gave the "librarian-bun" look a rest! I can't wait to see what he thinks when I really get some length. He kept saying, "it must be really healthy if it grew that much!" Healthy...Now that's a compliment!

I'm still hanging on over here. I just celebrated my 9 month nappiversary, I can't believe it'll be a year in May. Time really does fly when you're having fun. I've been doing rollersets and flexi rod sets and I love them!! My hair is well moisturized and the setting allows me to get some length out of my styles and enjoy my natural hair. I'm really excited about rocking BIG HAIR this summer!! Au naturale rules!

I hadn't planned on straightening until June, but I had an impromptu upscale date with DH last night and had nothing to do with my hair, so I straightened it.

My DH went nuts! It's not even long yet, but he was going crazy for it (and got very frisky :blush:)

It could be that he was just happy I gave the "librarian-bun" look a rest! I can't wait to see what he thinks when I really get some length. He kept saying, "it must be really healthy if it grew that much!" Healthy...Now that's a compliment!

Where da pitchas? :grin:

Went through a nasty breakup. Was evil to my hair. for a whole month.

Cotton pillowcases, no conditioner, no detangling. awful.

Now I will pay with a big fat trim :(.

I twisted and tucked my hair for the first time. Eurg. Oh well. At least its growing.

Continuing on with my vitamins (which i also neglected). Off the meds that made my hair fall out.

SIgh.

Back