FROM BC TO WAIST LENGTH! Natural growth and health CHALLENGE.

POOKALOO-- I guarantee that the people that post at least kinda regularly in here for support will be the ones that actually reach WSL during this challenge. Yeah, I SAID IT!

yup, :yep: I'm hoping being active makes the difference!

Well, I betsta get to postin', then. Update:

I've just discovered Joico moisturizing conditioner. Used it this morning, and my hair felt like butter! Might use it to replace my cheapy Suave once or twice a week. I don't really think I need to use it daily, since I don't really have a dryness problem. It's good stuff!

Also, just dropped a small fortune on an FHI flat iron so that when Dec updates are due, I can straighten my hair without fear of damage and sabatoge to all my effort. I dont even like to wear my hair straight anymore and have only used heat once this year, but when it's time to length check, I'm gonna bite the bullet, and I know my cheaper iron was definitely doing some heat damage, so I guess it's worth it.

Otherwise, nothing new with me...

Not much is new here! I've still been moisturizing with S-Curl and sealing with Grapeseed Oil, although I ran out of my bottle. Good thing I had some left in my apartment when I returned to town. (I was away for most of the summer).

It was also good to get back so I could test out all of my products and oils on my natural hair. (Was kind of a PJ when I was relaxed!) What I found out I really like now that I'm natural is ORS Replenishing Conditioner. My hair was feeling kinda rough. Once I put that on, it was nice and soft. Plus, it helped to define my curls. Not too sure about Wave Nouveau on my natural hair. S-Curl is definitely superior...for me. And not too sure about coconut oil! It was a fave for me when I was relaxed...

I'm just taking it one day at a time. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like my hair is growing a lot. I just recently started taking my vitamins (a multi- and GNC's Hair, Skin, Nails formula). I also have been getting a bit of shedding. Nothing major. Just haven't had that be an issue before.

I'm keeping my hair in braids until December....I rebraid every month. I mist my hair with a water and keratin conditioner mix when I remember (:lol:) ate least twice a week. I cowash (in braids) once a week.... I work out and I sweat in my head so I gotta wash.

When I remove the braids I DC, then air dry then rebraid.

Well, I was WL and it took about 2 - 2.5 years with 3 cuts and some trims inbetween. Unfortunately, I messed up on a relaxer and have to start over again but God keeps saying that if I take care of it, then it will come back; the length. I've took a hiatus on praying for extra growth now but when I get back, I'll let everyone know how it's working.

I'm not doing to good :( As posted in another thread: My braids are super fuzzy right now and I am ssoooooo not happy about it. Its only been like 6 days...I wasn't expecting to combat fuzz until week 2. I tie my hair down every night and I only rinsed my hair once in the shower (no smooshing or scrubbing...just ran water through my hair)...Oh well...I am still determined to keep them in for 4 weeks like I initially planned because I refuse to let my 50 bucks go to waste.

I am doing okay with my hair. I had a cold so I was just co-washing and not doing much else, but I am feeling better now and I am going to do some flat twists in the front and a curly for in the back and will post pics only if it looks cute LOL.

I need a good leave-in! I went to Target this week to try to get some Giovanni Direct and they only had the shampoos and rinse-out conditioners (and Lord knows I have enough of them). I'm fine for products for now, but once the weather starts changing, I might need something heavier than my S-Curl.

Negative
-When I pull it to measure it, it still looks 4 inches
-It doesnt look any longer
-I assume its growing, and the back looks like its much longer than the back
-I havent been consistent with moisturizing and conditioning, so I may need to trim when my plan was not to for a while, I also dont know how I would check for splits

Confusion
-When I plait a single braid, it looks longer (not sure, no camera)
-Cornrowing is much easier, they dont get as puffy
-I thought it would be much different than my relaxed hair, but it almost still acts/looks the same in regards to products.

Positive
-When I wash it, the back hangs, when wet it looks like it has about 2 inches to shoulderlength
-Its August/September, so I should have 4 inches with me starting at January, so I guess im on time
-Theres no breakage or shed hairs when I comb, relaxed I got much more, and had to be way more gentle

Last edited:
Took out my vraids before my lacefront came and have just been co washing every few days. My hair stretched by braiding in 2 plaits is in my siggy.

I think I'm finally ready to commit to the challenge! Only thing is my hair is longer than 4inches, more like 5 in. all around. I bc'd in may...is that ok?

My current reggie is pretty simple, DC with steam once a week. Wash every 2 wks. Moisturize and seal daily. Still trying to get my decide my staple prods. The only problem I'm having is with ssk's, so I've been doing quite a bit of dusting lately. What are you ladies doing to combat ssk's?

I think I'm finally ready to commit to the challenge! Only thing is my hair is longer than 4inches, more like 5 in. all around. I bc'd in may...is that ok?

My current reggie is pretty simple, DC with steam once a week. Wash every 2 wks. Moisturize and seal daily. Still trying to get my decide my staple prods. The only problem I'm having is with ssk's, so I've been doing quite a bit of dusting lately. What are you ladies doing to combat ssk's?[/QUOTE]

That is the $54,000 question.........bumping for responses :D

Just took the braids out and detangled dry...I haven't washed it yet so please excuse the dry dirty hair :grin:
1024.jpg

Texture shot
1024.jpg

47213_542155240380_98903524_31063437_7537838_n.jpg

Time to wash hair. I got the knot today and kinky curly from wholefoods yesterday so I'm gonna test it today.

I'm going to rebraid later too

Well, as you already know I've been dealing with cornrow drama. Long story short, I took them out on day 8 and wore a braidout for 2/3 days. I was amazed by how big my hair was since it was stretched out (see avatar pic).

I deep conditioned with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose on dry hair, and let me just say that after being in the hair game since 2006, this is the BEST DEEP CONDITIONER I HAVE EVER USED!!! I let my hair dry with NO product and it was soooooo SOFT. When my friend combed through it to twist my hair, there was very very little breakage. Woot! Woot!

So now my hair is in 2 strand twists. (It is about 2 3/4 - 3 inches long now.) And i'm wearing a wig over my twists. I'm gonna rock out with this for as long as possible because I'm at the point where I am extremely BORED and TIRED of my hair. This is the point where I always shave it off or texturize it; therefore, I am trying to hide my hair from myself so I won't start snipping it off.

Also, I have reached the point where my hair is about as long as its ever been throughout my many natural journeys.

My Milestone list (the ones in bold have been achieved!!!):

#1 Be able to wear a headband
#2 Be able to wear a shrunken puff and look halfway decent
#3 Get to the length that I was at during my 1st attempt at being natural

#4 The Frohawk!!
#5 Ear Length Hair
#6 NL Hair
#7 Make a Ponytail to Wear a Fake Puff
#8 SL Hair
#9 Make 2 big PonyPuffs / 2 big Cornrows
#10 Be able to put 10 big twists in my hair at night and call it a day

I have been following this thread but not participating as much because I have the same ole protective style which is my weave, it's 3 weeks old at this point and I plan on keeping it for 2.5-3 months THEN I'll re-install my straight weave, my fav. Here's a pic if I can figure out how to post.

Attachments

• Cruise 2010 026.jpg
    Cruise 2010 026.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Cruise 2010 023.jpg
    Cruise 2010 023.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 24
Just a quick update. Not much is going on with me. I've been wearing my hair in the same style everyday all summer. Wet- bunning under a phony pony. Nothing glamorous but I think it's getting the job done. With that I mean, I have been able to stay away from heat all summer which is a big deal for me. I used to flat iron everyday. I DC 2X/ week and using a combo of moisture and protein. I have started scalp messages with a mixture of essential oils to see if I can increase thickness.

I have been doing my wash in go's like I have been doing since I BC'd. Once my hair gets longer I'll do more styles. This December my husband and I are buying our first house, and I start school in Jan. I have not been to school for 6 years (high school) so my styles I'm guessing will be very baisic and quick.

SEPTEMBER 2010 PRODUCT/STYLE/TECHNIQUE OF THE MONTH

Style and technique -CORNROWS-

Internet info and quote I liked....

Hieroglyphs and sculptures dating back thousands of years illustrate the attention Africans have paid to their hair. Braids were etched into the back of the head of the majestic sphinx."

"Little girls received their first simple pigtails or cornrows at Mother's or Grandmother's knee. Brushing, oiling, and braiding the hair encouraged it to grow''

Now that my hair is long enough I have been wearing cornrows under a wig as a protective technique and as a style I cornrow the front and wear a curly fro in the back, others are cornrowing and braiding extensions into the cornrow, sewing extensions onto the cornrow or crocheting hair onto the cornrows. I cornrowed dd's hair and added beads the other day.

This is a protective style and a protective technique, also it is a part of our culture!
If you do not know how to cornrow, google "how to cornrow" and learn and then teach your daughter if you have one!
So happy cornrowing!

gallery_cornrows.jpg

All month share pics and tutorials about cornrows...
If you like this post thank it!

Last edited:
Back