For short haired ladies.....APL by Dec '09 Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely in... I recently (last week!) had to BC after transitioning for 11 mo's(though I didn't want to) bcos I went to a salon to get a press and when I washed it out, more than half of my hair was fully natural while the rest had scanty straight pieces hanging from it :nono:.

I am sort of a lurker bcos I hardly post, but this challenge made come out of the shadows! :yep:

I'm currently developing a regimen- I plan to use ayurvedic hair oils/teas and protective styling to hopefully reach apl by Dec 09 though that may change as I learn the likes and dislikes of my hair.

Oh, and my hair is basically a mullet- ear length in the front/sides and mid-nape at the back so I have a loooong way to go!

I want to join you all. I am currently wearing a sew-in but I think my hair is somewhere between neck and shoulder. I'll post the pic when this weave comes out. No set regimen yet. I am planning to wear braided styles and improve my diet and water intake.

I have been lurking on the site for like... ever so now it's time for me to turn things around! Thanking all you ladies in advance for your support.

I'm in as well! I too am developing a regimen, but should have it together in the next month.
Starting pic..

Attachments

• IMG_00751.jpg
    IMG_00751.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 5
I hope to exercise more.
I take L cystein, MSM, and grapefruit extract.
I have MT/OCT & Moe gro.
I cowash everyday.
I might prepoo with moegro, shampoo then CW. Putting my MT/OCT on my scalp.
I think all of that will REALLY help.

I think I am in! I am tired of having short hair. I will get my hair braided in two weeks and start with co washing and a DC 1x a week. Question: Can any of you ladies tell me what the CW method for braids is??

I'm in! too sleepy to post reggie right now, but I am grazing shoulder length

Edit: ok, ima try bunning, cowashing twice a week. Ima also do a twist out to see how it looks, and if it looks alright, ima rock that syle, too. Main thing is to reduce heat usage and manipulation. I am also part of the MT/OCT challenge, so I wil be using OCT 2-3 times a week.

Attachments

• 10-17-08_1941.jpg
    10-17-08_1941.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 10-14-08_2013.jpg
    10-14-08_2013.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 10-26-08_1044.jpg
    10-26-08_1044.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'd like to join this challenge too. The back is going to be a real stretch, but hopefully the sides will make it. Regimen is DC biweekly, henna monthly, wash once week with natural shampoo bar, no direct heat.

Attachments

• after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2
Just checking the thread to add all the new people and to say WELCOME!!!!! This is going to be a fun experience and I have some thoughts on keeping focused. I will be randomly giving gifts in the following category:

1.Post updated pic on time each quarter (4 gifts 1 for each quarter)
2.To the person that post every quarter within the first 5 days. (1 gift)
3. Random gifts that I will come up with the cat for later (3)

That will be a total of 8 gifts that I will be giving away.

Ladies I want ALL of us to obtain this goal and I will try anyway I know how (and within my means) to help you stay focused. WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

I have added all the names up to this point.

Ok i would like to join. I'm in braids right now so i dont have any starter pics. I plan on staying in braids all year.
My regimen:
MT/OCT every night
Co wash everyday
DC 2x a week
Moisturize twice a day with aloe vera juice and honey quat and seal with shealoe or JBCO/Coconut oil

I mix my MT with Honeyquat and JBCO i got the honeyquat idea from Justkiya i thought it was great bc my hair hates protein and i thought the honeyquat would take the edge off of the protein. O and i will be redoing my braids every 3-4 months.:yep:

I'm in! too sleepy to post reggie right now, but I am grazing shoulder length

Now myangeleyez you know I saw your OCT pics and you had some amazing growth! I will be getting my order this week. I am very competitve (in a good way....I dont get mad when I loose:yep:) All I got to say to you is bring it on!! I am going to be a braid wearing MT/OCT co-washing freak for the next 15 months.

WELCOME GIRL!!!!!!

JustKiya I am too happy that you are involved in this, you are one of my idols.

I was too tickled when I saw that you were in so WELCOME!!!!!

Oh, that's so sweet of you - thank you!!!! *does a little happy dance* It always makes me so happy to know what I do/write helps folks..... :)

I am so in. My routine is:
Wash and condition 1-2x a week.
Deep condition once a week or every two weeks as needed, alternating between prtein
and moisture conditioners.
Rollerset every wash, satin rollers and night with scarf.
Moisturize daily with whatever I see fit.
Megatek every night
Relaxer as I see fit, no more stretches for me though.

Staple products: Loreal's hair fixer every few washes. Silk 2 protofaom as necessary. Megatek.

Last edited:
SouthernStunner- What are the exact check in dates going to be? Quarterly beginning from September, October or Jan 2009? I love gifts!

Now myangeleyez you know I saw your OCT pics and you had some amazing growth! I will be getting my order this week. I am very competitve (in a good way....I dont get mad when I loose:yep:) All I got to say to you is bring it on!! I am going to be a braid wearing MT/OCT co-washing freak for the next 15 months.

WELCOME GIRL!!!!!!

:grin: Consider it brought!!!:lachen::lachen:I can't wait til we are swangin' our hair everywhere next year!:grin: I'm gonna try bunning/co-washing along with OCT...I may get braids at some point, too. I just want to keep my hair moisurized, and on low manipulation. :yep:

SouthernStunner- What are the exact check in dates going to be? Quarterly beginning from September, October or Jan 2009? I love gifts!

Ok so the first check in is Jan. then April, June, Aug and finally Dec.

I am getting all the names together and will have an official thread with everyone's name and the guidlines ( I hate rules :spinning:). This thread will post mid Dec.

And WELCOME Carrie!

This will be a working regimen for me to reach APL:

Cowash and DC 1x per week (Wed)
Shampoo and DC (hooded dryer) 1x per week (Weekend)
MT/ MN mix to scalp every night
Use no prodcuts containing protein (due to MT use)
Moisturize and seal every night/ morning.......buns or hair clips only
No ponytails unless I have to be in uniform (I'm in the military)

so far.......so good!

This will be a working regimen for me to reach APL:

Cowash and DC 1x per week (Wed)
Shampoo and DC (hooded dryer) 1x per week (Weekend)
MT/ MN mix to scalp every night
Use no prodcuts containing protein (due to MT use)
Moisturize and seal every night/ morning.......buns or hair clips only
No ponytails unless I have to be in uniform (I'm in the military)

so far.......so good!

Are you NATO?

This will be my first challenge.
My Regimen:
Co-wash 3x wk
Poo 2x month
Dc 1/wk
Ovation 4x wk
Moisturize daily
Texlax every 12- 14 wks
try not to use to much heat might Flat iron every 2 wks

I'm new to this so if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Attachments

• Start of my hair journey.jpg
    Start of my hair journey.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7
I'm a newbie and I'm in. I just ordered my megatek I will cowash on wed and DC on Sunday. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how. Like I said I am very new!

Hey guys...I'm in. I am a little past EL now, have been lurking :sekret: on the site for about a month before I joined and already learned a ton! I have been natural since '96, had locks from '99 to '06, and have been wearing it short since then. I just recently decided to grow it out as long as it can get without locks. It was mid-back with locks when I cut it 2 years ago so I know I can get there!

My regimen: currently in TST with synthetic hair ext. ( take down after 4-6 wks with 2-3 days rest inbtwn
DC on take down with UBH DC
MT every night on scalp,
Wil Gro braid/ext moist spray daily
seal with aloe vera/jojoba/jbco spray mixture daily
wash (C&G) every week (clarifying shampoo every other wash)

Hope that is sufficient for me to join this challenge.:grin: In TST now, will post pics with next take down. BTW, I have been MTing since Oct 10 but since my hair is already thick I ordered some OCT and hope it's there when I get home!:yep:

Any suggestions from the braid-wearers on this regimen please post! I plan to keep it braided until I at least get a ponypuff...

My Regimen:

Going to Ms Leila (Dominican shop) every 2 weeks for rollersets (no blowdry), then on the 8th week for a retouch. The key here is to be consistent :yep:

In between visits, I plan to just dry rollerset my hair every night for maintenance, then use some kind of oil sheen/light moisturizer at the end of the week :yep:

wow some of you ladies are going to reach APL way before Dec 09.
but here's a partial of my regimen:
  • MT every night(mixed with oils)
  • moisturize my hair with leave-in condition, HTN growth lotion, and seal with oils daily
  • dC with ors replenishing pak weekly
  • texlax for a total of 10mins every 8 weeks
  • vitamins, prenatal, GNC nails, skin, and hair, and Garlic(might add biotin for thickness)
  • protective styles wigs, half wigs,phony ponies and buns
  • oh yea no trims:nono: and no towel drying:nono: trying to part ways with my brush, but its hard:perplexed
that's all i got so far, lol i'm still playing around with how many times i should poo and do conditioner washes. my hair is so fragile!

planning to try acv rinses soon, lace front wig, maybe henna????????, twist or cornrows. lol so many choices, so little time:drunk:

i do plan to add oct to my regimen in jan, for extra length. but for right now i'm trying mt for thickness.

good luck ladies, conrats for you ladies if you have your staple routine and products. its still doing trial and trial(no errors)lol for me

will post starting pic in jan, lol trying to get some extra growth here to jumpstart this challenge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back