FINALLY! I've made APL! (PICTURES)

vivEz daNs lamouR

Hey ladies! As some may remember, I stumbled upon this forum (thankfully) in September and decided from that day that I wanted to improve the state and health of my hair. In April of 2007 I had a bad first (and last) weave done and I wound up having to cut my hair to it's shortest length EVER which was at my chin. I took part in the APL by December 31st challenge but was unable to post pics until now (and consequently enough I can't find that reveal thread). Anyway, onto the pictures!

SEPTEMBER 2007:
6jwc9zp.jpg

JANUARY 2008:
6o1kuia.jpg

Last edited:
THAT IS AMAZING GROWTH IN ONLY 4 MONTHS???!!!???!?!??!?!?! (September 2007 - January 2008)!!!! WOOWWWW!!!! :eek::eek:

How did you do this? It looks like you got 4-6 inches in only 4 months, maybe more!! I've never seen growth like this!!!:spinning::spinning:

I checked your Fotki and your hair did a complete turn around in only 4 months.

Please share your reggie.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :congrats::woohoo2::woohoo:

THAT IS AMAZING GROWTH IN ONLY 4 MONTHS???!!!???!?!??!?!?! (September 2007 - January 2008)!!!! WOOWWWW!!!! :eek::eek:

How did you do this? It looks like you got 4-6 inches in only 4 months, maybe more!! I've never seen growth like this!!!:spinning::spinning:

I checked your Fotki and your hair did a complete turn around in only 4 months.

Please share your reggie.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :congrats::woohoo2::woohoo:

Thanks ladies!!

Hey Serenity, I have to update my Fotki as there is barely anything in there, but I'll be as specific as I can with you!

First things first there were a LOT of things I was doing wrong, primarily using direct heat all the time and the wrong products. I started off as a serious PJ but decided that I needed to do what worked BEST for me and my hair. So my regimen became something like this:

- I used Aveda DR: Shampoo, Condish & the Intensive Treatment. As a pre-poo I would use either ORS Hair Mayo or any other cheapie conditioner that I had laying around. Some of my moisturizing staples post wash are: NTM SilkTouch, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, ElastaQP Mango Butter, Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist and Jojoba Oil. These are the products I use MOST consistently to help retain moisture.
- Alternated between the Intense Treatment DC and a protein treatment. My two favorite proteins as Sebastian Penatraitt and Nexxus Emergencee. After this I would TRY to do ACV rinses but it became too much work, so I would just rinse and then rollerset with Lacio Lacio and a bit of Aveda Brilliant Serum. Then saran wraps and wrap it.
- To retain length, I had to literally make the change from wearing my hair down all the time to wearing it in ponytails and most recently, buns.
- I used Boundless Tresses and at one point was using MN as well but I stopped that after I saw little to no progress. The BT DEFINITELY HELPED! I used it consistently everyday.
- Although I've been slacking lately, I was using Andrew Lessman HSN consistently for those months.
- I did a 16 week stretch.

I limited my direct heat usage to once per month but actually havent flat ironed since November 17th. Recently, I've been slacking on rollersets so I'm trying co washes 2x a week and then air drying so that I have low manipulation. I also kept a hair journal of what worked best for me vs. what went wrong that way I knew what products to avoid. I can share that with you via email if anyone would like. It literally just speaks on the products I used on wash or style days.

HTH :)

ETA: I forgot to add a few other things I did:

- I haven't had a trim since July 2007.
- I sleep with a satin or silk scarf every night.
- To help grow out my kitchen, I stopped perming it. Instead of perming every time I relax, I'm going to perm it every other relaxer.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like a killjoy, but I thought true length measurements should be done on dry hair.

:confused:

ETA: You have gained a LOT of length in your comparison pics. Good job.

Back