Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Yes, a few times a month

Votes: 52 19.6%
  • Yes, a few times a year

Votes: 97 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 95 35.8%

• Total voters
I am not a drinker. I have never for the likes of me liked beer. I do like the taste of rum but I do not drink it. (I have recently learned though there is a non-alcoholic rum so I may try that.) I like the taste of wine especially rose (red wines). However, I drink non-alcoholic wines. One in particular is a wine that has won competitions against alcoholic wines. It is called Ariel. That's it for me.

http://www.arielvineyards.com/wines.html

Last edited:
I'll have a drink a few times a year on occasion. I like light tropical drinks like pina coladas and wine coolers.

I never liked the taste of beer, and I couldn't go near those hard core drinks that put hair on your chest. :lol: Not crazy about champagne or wine either. I never went over my two drink maximum back in the day, and I've never been drunk. I rarely drink now.

I love black cake though. I've noticed a few at my church eat black cake too, so they better not look at me sideways if they ever saw me with a light drink.

Don't even think about stoning me. :bricks:

OMG!!! Girl what you know about that good ole black cake? lol:lachen: I am right there with you! That is my stuff!!! lol:lachen:I dont care who catches me! lol...But I dont drink... Even though I'm in college I'm still too young lol But even if I was older I wouldnt drink..its just not for me

Last edited:
Don't play with me Samory! I know 'bout good black cake. :lick: ... and if it's iced... :spinning:

It has to be moist with lots of fruit and just enough rum--not to take over or make it bitter. I've never made it, but I get the goods from either my mom, my aunt, or my mom's friend. They keep those huge jars for soaking fruit.

I have about a 1/4 left wrapped in wax paper and foil in an old cookie tin. :grin:

Don't play with me Samory! I know 'bout good black cake. :lick: ... and if it's iced... :spinning:

It has to be moist with lots of fruit and just enough rum--not to take over or make it bitter. I've never made it, but I get the goods from either my mom, my aunt, or my mom's friend. They keep those huge jars for soaking fruit.

I have about a 1/4 left wrapped in wax paper and foil in an old cookie tin. :grin:

Yes! I 've never made it myself either but I sure do love to eat it. Your my new "black cake friend" lol:grin::lachen:

I didn't drink at all up until last year. I had a few margaritas on a cruise ship and wew...I was out. They called it margarita madness and the bartender made 10 drinks all different flavors and we were to "taste" them. Not bing familiar with alcohol I guzzled them like they were slushies.

Bad idea.

Scripture contains many warnings regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4,7,14; 1 Samuel 1:15; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4,6; Isaiah 5:11,22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12; Micah 2:11; Luke 1:15). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs “drink wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:11 encourages “yes, come buy wine and milk…”

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or might encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

Proof is that is me immediately after drinking all of those margaritas:

Nothing glorifying about these pictures. :ohwell:

l_6e885838e8d1b481702e7ae886b49e21.jpg

l_335816a45623833ac636564614991011.jpg

I was a big fat ignorant sinner that day!

Definitely not proper or Christian like and the crawling back to my cabin I did that day was not edifying for anybody! :sad:

I really regretted it and although I chalked it up to not knowing my tolerance because this was one of my first drinking experiences, I should have known better!

Now moving on.....Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation efforts, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but necessarily not to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today.

Again, Scripture does not necessarily forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is, rather, drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

I may still have a fruity drink every now and again but I now know my limits and don't allow myself to be taken over by glutton/drunkeness!

No, I don't, but i don't condemn light drinking of wine or beer by others in the faith. I do think however, that it can possibly lead to sin.

This issue has really divided many members of my family.:nono:

My in-laws hardly ever come to our house for dinner or parties because we don't serve in our home. When we go to theirs, we never put them down or say they aren't Christians. Some of them are new Christians who only drink wine, and some aren't yet saved and drink like it's water. They never get "pissy" drunk, though.

It makes me sad because even friends avoid our house cause they know we don't serve alcohol. But this is our family rule, and I don't want to be hypocritical and tell my kids we don't drink, yet allow alcohol in the house.

Once a family member brought stuff in w/o asking. I thought it was rude, but they felt it was the only way to ensure that all the family would come.

So, I guess we're stuck going to other's houses. Oh well, I hate to cook anyway.:ohwell:

No, I don't, but i don't condemn light drinking of wine or beer by others in the faith. I do think however, that it can possibly lead to sin.

This issue has really divided many members of my family.:nono:

My in-laws hardly ever come to our house for dinner or parties because we don't serve in our home. When we go to theirs, we never put them down or say they aren't Christians. Some of them are new Christians who only drink wine, and some aren't yet saved and drink like it's water. They never get "pissy" drunk, though.

It makes me sad because even friends avoid our house cause they know we don't serve alcohol. But this is our family rule, and I don't want to be hypocritical and tell my kids we don't drink, yet allow alcohol in the house.

Once a family member brought stuff in w/o asking. I thought it was rude, but they felt it was the only way to ensure that all the family would come.

So, I guess we're stuck going to other's houses. Oh well, I hate to cook anyway.:ohwell:

That's sad.:nono:

[ A recovering alcoholic chimming in!!
I agree with this. I remember when I first started drinking when I was about 21. Ever since then I became dependent on it ,leaned on it like a crutch,loved it like a husband and called upon the bottle all day every day instead of calling on the bible and god to get me through my situations. After a while I became a very ulgy person and did ALOT of sinning. All of the time I waisted drinking and sinning, I wish I could go back and change the things that I did,but then if I could have went back in time I would not be able to testify about my alcohol abuse. I am still taking it one day at a time and now I try to go to the bible before the bottle. Its still very very hard for me right now because its only been a few weeks for me . So with that said , keep me in your prayers please.

Last edited:
I didn't realize until recently that people made black cake without rum/wine. Is it black cake then?

I drink on occasion but have been thinking about that "choice" as of late. I am a big believer in everything in moderation. A friend of mine was shocked the other day to learn that her college graduate daughter got drunk and passed out in front a club. This friend does not drink AT all and was highly pissed. She never even thought to mention drinking to her kids because her kids never saw liquor in the home.

Believers have to be aware of what is in the world and guide their kids on their own walk in faith.

[ A recovering alcoholic chimming in!!
I agree with this. I remember when I first started drinking when I was about 21. Ever since then I became dependent on it ,leaned on it like a crutch,loved it like a husband and called upon the bottle all day every day instead of calling on the bible and god to get me through my situations. After a while I became a very ulgy person and did ALOT of sinning. All of the time I waisted drinking and sinning, I wish I could go back and change the things that I did,but then if I could have went back in time I would not be able to testify about my alcohol abuse. I am still taking it one day at a time and now I try to go to the bible before the bottle. Its still very very hard for me right now because its only been a few weeks for me . So with that said , keep me in your prayers please.

May God bless you and keep you sweetheart.

I grew up in a house with an alcoholic brother and it was awful. He would be pissy drunk and some nights I would have to physically fight him because he was a mean drunk and other nights I would have to help him get to bed, clean up his pee and vomit off the floor and off of him all while he was cursing me out just to keep our elderly father who was raising us from having to deal with him. I said to myself then I never wanted to be like that and there are alot of alcoholics in my family so I'm afraid to drink because Im scared that will happen to me. I see nothing wrong with people drinking in moderation though.

I've heard that too girl (bolded) and it's so funny to me. Ummm people, wine is wine is wine. Fermented grapes is wine, LOL.

I'm gonna read the rest of the posts but just had to say that's one I've heard and I'm like HUH??!!! LOL.

It sure is!! They had grapes, no refrigerators. Grapes Ferment without refrigeration and turns into wine.

Best believe Jesus drank wine. I drink too, mixed drinks and no one ever looks at me sideways.

amaretto + sour mix = amaretto sour :drunk::spinning:

This is my fav drink. If you add a splash of sprite, it kicks up the flavor without increasing the alcohol. You can add a splash of cherry juice too. Again, giving you a different flavor without adding more alcohol.

I have tried alcohol in the past but the taste and how it feels going down just wasn't right. So no I don't drink at all.

I drink. Hard liquor only, 1 shot only... usually. But once every 4 months if that. Not bad, but still, trying not to make it a habit. The novelty will wear off in time though and I'll eventually stop altogether. Plus when I have kids... gotta set an example. I know they'll probably experiment but I don't want them to get into it earlier and worse because they see mommy doing it.

Yes, I drink but not to get drunk. I wil have a glass a wine at night with dinner, usually. I drink when we have family get together. But I am not a drunkard. Also both of my parents are alcoholics so I know the effects of over indulging. But if I saw my Bishop and first lady enjoying a glass of wine I wouldn't feel uneasy, unless they were drunk.

Yes, I on occasion I will have a glass of wine. I rarely drink anything other than that. My father and my grandfather were alcoholics so I have a predisposition. The rest of my family is very religious and do not drink at all. Knowing of the predisposition, I have always been very careful not to over-indulge. Like another poster said, I don't drink to get drunk. I drink because I like the taste of wine.

BTW, OP this is a great thread. I've always wondered how others felt about this.

I didn't drink at all up until last year. I had a few margaritas on a cruise ship

Scripture contains many warnings regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4,7,14; 1 Samuel 1:15; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4,6; Isaiah 5:11,22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12; Micah 2:11; Luke 1:15). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs “drink wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:11 encourages “yes, come buy wine and milk…”

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or might encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

Proof is that is me immediately after drinking all of those margaritas:

Nothing glorifying about these pictures. :ohwell:

l_6e885838e8d1b481702e7ae886b49e21.jpg

l_335816a45623833ac636564614991011.jpg

I was a big fat ignorant sinner that day!

Definitely not proper or Christian like and the crawling back to my cabin I did that day was not edifying for anybody! :sad:

I really regretted it and although I chalked it up to not knowing my tolerance because this was one of my first drinking experiences, I should have known better!

Now moving on.....Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation efforts, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but necessarily not to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today.

Again, Scripture does not necessarily forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is, rather, drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

I may still have a fruity drink every now and again but I now know my limits and don't allow myself to be taken over by glutton/drunkeness!

Leviticus 10:9 Is out of context, it is not a warning to the general public.

Numbers 6:3 Read in context, it is about special vows to be taken by nazirites, and the same chapter also says not to eat grapes or raisins or shave hair etc.

I could go on....but I don't have the time.

Scripture is often taken out of context. Sometimes it is as if the key words are just searched for and then blanket conclusions are made.

I'm glad though that you clarified that the bible doesn't forbid drinking.

It does discourage drunkenness and addiction because, as we all know, we can't be on our best behavior drunk.

I have A drink ONCE in awhile. Like I went out on a date this summer had a drink. Going out with my friends I will have my pina collada or rum. Maybe once every two months or so.

I have never in my life been drunk and NO I do not drink. Prior to being saved I enjoyed a few drinks here and there when i went out to dinner or to a party. the bible does not say that I can't drink however, God convicted me about drinking. When people see me drink, they assume things about my character and my ability to witness to others decreases. That was not pleasing to God.

I have never in my life been drunk and NO I do not drink. Prior to being saved I enjoyed a few drinks here and there when i went out to dinner or to a party. the bible does not say that I can't drink however, God convicted me about drinking. When people see me drink, they assume things about my character and my ability to witness to others decreases. That was not pleasing to God.

This is true. As Christians, the world looks to us to be doing something other than what they are doing, and when they see you drink, even though it may be celebratory and very rarely, they may assume that you are just like them, when in fact you aren't.

Dang, why did supergirl have to bump this topic when I have been going through an ongoing issue with wine. I don't drink and never have but recently, well within 3 months time I had wine at least 3 times and man it was the best tasting:lick: liquid ever :wallbash:. I so hate that too cuz now I want to go buy some and my dh is sooooo against it and so was I a while ago. My sis said taste this and I said "what is it" she said it was a peach type drink not thinking alcoholic and come to find out it was andre's peach wine. I want some so bad and everytime I go over there I ask if she has any. Maybe this thread was meant for me.:rolleyes:

Lord keep me near the cross.

I only drink on occasion (very rare, like once a year:lol:). I don't get drunk. Don't think my body would forgive me for it:lol::grin:

I don't really like alcohol, but I agree that God doesn't absolutely forbid alcohol, but he does forbid drunkeness!

Back