Disney's Black Princess has BEAUTIFUL hair!

I understand your point but if she had anything less than SL I bet some would be quick to throw out the "so disney tryin say that black women can't grow hair" comment. You can't please everybody.

exactly. should she have a twa or shaved head in order to keep it "real?" :perplexed. when the first pics came out some people were complaining that she was "natural" but in the same breath were saying they would be thinking, "wtf?" if she had straight hair.

If this movie tops Mulan I'll be so happy.

No other Disney movie does it for me like Mulan does..

"Let's get down to business!..." :::singing:::

OMG I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SONGS TO COME OUT!!!!

me too! I expect some really good zydeco and jazz to come out o this.

I am Princess Tiana's NUMBER ONE STAN, yes STAN :yep:

I'm taking all my little munchkinas to see it on opening day and then going back to see it again that night, BREAK THE BOX OFFICE LADIES!!!

The prince will be white, which is my only half-problem but I'll take what I can get until they can give us another 2D full on black PRINCE and his princess.

Yeah I was wondering if he was going to be White or not.
Why does he have to be white?
Maybe they figured it's too many Black people already in the movie or something (for a Disney movie), so they just add 1 more white person.:ohwell:
It actually does bother me a little.

But anyway...
wow, I'm loving the illustrations! I'm usually not crazy over Disney movies, but this is one movie I am looking forward to!

My DDs LOVE everything Disney and Princess. I am so excited that there will finally be a princess in our image.

Wow, that is one beautiful princess! And with a head of gorgeous hair to go along with it. Whoever those animators are, I give them kudos, I love it. I hope it comes out in the UK though, they typically don't tend to bring over any 'black' movies to the UK, but I'm thinking since it's a Disney movie they'll bring it for the kids, and I will be right there with them, first in line:grin:

Yeah I was wondering if he was going to be White or not.
Why does he have to be white?
Maybe they figured it's too many Black people already in the movie or something (for a Disney movie), so they just add 1 more white person.:ohwell:
It actually does bother me a little.

But anyway...
wow, I'm loving the illustrations! I'm usually not crazy over Disney movies, but this is one movie I am looking forward to!

I think it is more marketable to everyone if he is not black:

Most white families will write the movie off if there are all black people in it:perplexed.

In fact, most shows on television where the cast is all black white people will flip right past it (remember the black people hour on UPN?), and most movies with all black people they refuse to watch. They call them black shows or black movies because they think only black people should watch it. Strangely enough we are expected to watch movies and shows with all white people (Friends for example). So if Disney makes a movie like that they are risking it to flop in the box office.

If they add a white prince, they are risking a few racist parents avoiding it, but they are more likely to get black and white people who want to watch it. This is probably the better choice right now. They need to move away from all white people, and this is their first step and its a good one. There is a growing number of IRR who have biracial children who would love to see a movie with a black princess and a white prince (and we know there are at least 20 more years before they even consider a black prince and a white girl so we should take what we can get) so this could turn out great.:yep:

I am still offended however that of all the princess Disney movies, they can't even consider an African princess? That just doesn't make sense to me.:rolleyes: There are more black princesses in the world than white, so I don't understand how they want to act like its the other way around.

me too! I expect some really good zydeco and jazz to come out o this.

I hope there is an R&B soundtrack!

I would die if they got Beyonce's uncouth behind to sing on it though:nono:. They need to get real Disney-sounding artists on it. I hope they tear it up on the album like they did on Mulan and Hercules and Aladdin:lachen:

she IS beautiful (gotta love the lips!) but i don't like her hair. it isn't realistic to me at all.

:wallbash:her hair barely represents 50% of THIS HAIR BOARD and this is a healthy hair board! so surely it doesn't represent most blacks in todays society. but whatever, you gotta take what you can get. i'm excited for this movie!:grin:

I'm just happy they finally got a black princess. Baby steps, ladies, baby steps.

Now all these rich black folks with production companies, like Bob Johnson, could make this happen but they are to busy making movies like "Who's your caddy?":rolleyes:

I love these hair styles. I want to try a few..maybe with a rollerset

maddy2b08gp1.jpg

she IS beautiful (gotta love the lips!) but i don't like her hair. it isn't realistic to me at all.

:wallbash:her hair barely represents 50% of THIS HAIR BOARD and this is a healthy hair board! so surely it doesn't represent most blacks in todays society. but whatever, you gotta take what you can get. i'm excited for this movie!:grin:

Part of the idea of a Disney princess is someone with healthy long hair. Hair like this is possible on black women, obviously if they used Pinkskates as a model for a Disney princess it would work, she's black and has long hair. Plenty black women have long hair whether relaxed or natural so it is possible. And for those who don't they have fake hair. Most black women in America have either burnt off relaxed ends or fake hair, unfortunately. That is what they see so that is what they represent.

:lachen::nono: I would have been happier if her hair was kinkier and had more height (you know, like some big natural 4a hair or something) but I think once again they are looking for marketability, unfortunately.

Maybe her hair is a lacefront?:rolleyes: That would portray most of us...:lachen:

I love these hair styles. I want to try a few..maybe with a rollerset

maddy2b08gp1.jpg

I lot of these look like jumbo untwisted bantu knots. When I tried to do bantu knots and couldn't figure out how to twist them to get them tight to the head like most people, mine came out like these. They look like tiny afro puffs or something:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57278355@N00/904493427/in/set-72157601018650172/
Maybe I will try again to do this with big pieces of hair. Or get a large chunk of hair, fold it over, and use a smaller bit of hair to wrap around the base of it.

I love her styles!

Wow, I never heard of this movie! It sounds really exciting and I'm glad they are doing this. The pictures are beautiful, but I really think the drawings DO represent our hair, just in a more exadurated cartoon way. I mean, look at the other Disney cartoons with other types of hair--they're exaggerated as well. I think the cartoonist captured the thickness of our hair very well while making it look tasteful.

And I thought she was African--I mean, when they said "Princess"... Okay, I guess, whatever, it's a start.

I wonder what she'll sound like--Kyla Pratt? I bet...

I understand your point but if she had anything less than SL I bet some would be quick to throw out the "so disney tryin say that black women can't grow hair" comment. You can't please everybody.

exactly. some people can never be happy! she looks lovely.

can't win with some folks...there a GABAZILLION black folks with power in the industry who could of made a thousand cartoons with black princesses and they could of run the gambit of shades and lengths and textures...we could of had the lite skinned girl with the 3b ,the dark skinned with the fro and everything in between...what about that? When Eddie start production on Rasputia II and Kimora making another season of how fabulous her freaking gawdy lifestyle is...boycott them suckers until they agree to finance the stuff we claim we wanna see.

Wow, I never heard of this movie! It sounds really exciting and I'm glad they are doing this. The pictures are beautiful, but I really think the drawings DO represent our hair, just in a more exadurated cartoon way. I mean, look at the other Disney cartoons with other types of hair--they're exaggerated as well. I think the cartoonist captured the thickness of our hair very well while making it look tasteful.

And I thought she was African--I mean, when they said "Princess"... Okay, I guess, whatever, it's a start.

I wonder what she'll sound like--Kyla Pratt? I bet...

I would hope not. Penny Proud's voice drove me up the wall and One on One annoyed me too.

I would shoot myself if she talked like Run's daughters (their accent kills me because it sounds like they are trying too hard to make it sound thick like that IMO... and maybe I just don't like the accent:perplexed?) or Beyonce (sounds ignorant and I can say that because I'm from Houston and I don't speak the way she does:nono:) too.

I just hope she sounds like a normal black person and not the raspy-voiced exaggerated noise they try to put to black girls in cartoons (think Suzie from Rugrats for example). Brandy can sing and all but I just don't want them to use her either... its just too typical for white people to assume we all sound like her.

The girl who plays Penny Proud can't sing can she? If she can't sing they wont pick her.

YEY AND SHE CAN SING!:yep:

And her voice can hit those high notes like all Disney Princesses are required too:lachen:

"Got me a Cadillac,... Cadillac-Cadillac! Got me a Cadillac, HOO HOO!":lachen::lachen:

Thank you! That was all I was saying, her hair is not realistic and since this is a hair board, I thought I would point that out.

In some of the pics, it looks like those are braids any way, in at least 2 of them I saw some knots at the front of her hairline.

I am not too into Disney or cartoons, so this isn't all that exciting for me. Nice that we have a princess that is brown though.

Off topic: What's up with homegirl's nipples? Why did even draw them on her? She is cartoon for children she doesn't need nipples anyway...

Thank you! That was all I was saying, her hair is not realistic and since this is a hair board, I thought I would point that out.

In some of the pics, it looks like those are braids any way, in at least 2 of them I saw some knots at the front of her hairline.

I am not too into Disney or cartoons, so this isn't all that exciting for me. Nice that we have a princess that is brown though.

Off topic: What's up with homegirl's nipples? Why did even draw them on her? She is cartoon for children she doesn't need nipples anyway...

i highly doubt that the illustrator purposely drew nips on her. you can tell that those were how the lines on the sketch were placed.

also, was Ariel's hair (little mermaid) realistic? so much body, and such a shockingly red color...

how about belle's?

or jasmine's?

disney characters all have elements of fantasy to them, yet they're all beautiful. the new princess is no different.

I think it is more marketable to everyone if he is not black:

Most white families will write the movie off if there are all black people in it:perplexed.

In fact, most shows on television where the cast is all black white people will flip right past it (remember the black people hour on UPN?), and most movies with all black people they refuse to watch. They call them black shows or black movies because they think only black people should watch it. Strangely enough we are expected to watch movies and shows with all white people (Friends for example). So if Disney makes a movie like that they are risking it to flop in the box office.

If they add a white prince, they are risking a few racist parents avoiding it, but they are more likely to get black and white people who want to watch it. This is probably the better choice right now. They need to move away from all white people, and this is their first step and its a good one. There is a growing number of IRR who have biracial children who would love to see a movie with a black princess and a white prince (and we know there are at least 20 more years before they even consider a black prince and a white girl so we should take what we can get) so this could turn out great.:yep:

I am still offended however that of all the princess Disney movies, they can't even consider an African princess? That just doesn't make sense to me.:rolleyes: There are more black princesses in the world than white, so I don't understand how they want to act like its the other way around.

About the "white people won't watch it if they have too many black folks" comment. I don't think they didn't watch because of that, I think often times that shows were marketed as being for black people and about "black things". They always had to mention fried chicken or not having both parents or lived in some really urban place. They semed to talk about things only "black people" could understand. :rolleyes: Or at least they marketed it that way.

I think people would go see it if it had more black people in it, but why would little white girls drool over the princess being black, she doesn't look like them. I had black Barbie's coming up so I can see why a black princess wouldn't interest a white little girl. White Barbies were not all that to me either.

But anyway, just thought I would point that out....

How much you want to bet this Princess will have a "attitude"?:rolleyes:

i highly doubt that the illustrator purposely drew nips on her. you can tell that those were how the lines on the sketch were placed.

also, was Ariel's hair (little mermaid) realistic? so much body, and such a shockingly red color...

how about belle's?

or jasmine's?

disney characters all have elements of fantasy to them, yet they're all beautiful. the new princess is no different.

Doesn't the title of this thread say "Disney's Black Princess has BEAUTIFUL hair!"?

Okay so I commented on the hair, this is a hair board after all.

It ain't that deep to me anyhow, she isn't real and her hair proves it, she is fantasy and so is her hair.

I just pointed out the obvious, she is made- up and not realistic looking.

About her nipples, they were purposely drawn on, I am an artist myself so I know what they were doing. Remember, sex sells.

Everybody isn't doing to agree on everything and I am not going wild over her, TWA or dreads or whatever they want to give her, if it doesn't look right to me, I can state that.

Like I said before, she is pretty and they did try, but her hair is not all that to me.

~Liyah:yep:

can't win with some folks...there a GABAZILLION black folks with power in the industry who could of made a thousand cartoons with black princesses and they could of run the gambit of shades and lengths and textures...we could of had the lite skinned girl with the 3b ,the dark skinned with the fro and everything in between...what about that? When Eddie start production on Rasputia II and Kimora making another season of how fabulous her freaking gawdy lifestyle is...boycott them suckers until they agree to finance the stuff we claim we wanna see.

Was this directed towrds me? If so don't include me in the "we" I could careless if they have a black princess or not. No cartoon or Disney movie is all that to me. In the real world there are more black princesses so who cares if in the "fake world" there isn't? I don't.

Don't generalize, I don't even watch TV or care about what Eddie or Kimora do.

Back