Disney's Black Princess has BEAUTIFUL hair!

Well she's beautiful and her hair is gorgeous. She actually has black features.
But...I just gotta say it. I have to express my beef LOL:

:offrant:

1. This country acts like black people just materialized off the slave ships I swear. Is it still the same storyline.

--What about Nubia? Meroitic QUEENS ruled and led their armies into battle.
Egypt's riches came largely due to her close association with Nubia. In fact they found gold processing sites near the city of Kerma(i believe).
--What about Egypt? Black pharoahs ruled and were among the upper class LONG BEFORE THE 25TH DYNASTY!
--What about Zimbabwe?--Africa was always a source of great mineral wealth and trade (which contributed to it's downfall, imo).
--Sub-Saharan Africa was in a Golden Age when other nations (like Europe) were fumbling around in the dark ages fighting the Plague.
--People came from all over the known world to be educated and teach at the madrassas of Timbuktu! In fact they just uncovered thousands of pages of manuscripts from the learning center.

You have a continent--a people--bursting with culture.

Yet.....THIS--is the best Disney could come up with: A friggin 'chambermaid' and her pet croc living in post Civil War Louisiana singing voodoo songs while waiting for a white prince to save her?

>>sigh<<

Speaking of 'white princes' ....

2. I want to see BLACK PEOPLE in the movie!
There I said it. Whatever.
I mean--what is this: "Something New": The Children's Addition" ?
Everytime black folks got a love interest they're almost aways white--what is that about?
Ain't nothin wrong with IR relationships but hell--ain't nothin wrong with loving your own people either. Damn that. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see that love demonstrated in the media for a change instead of these ridiculously forced images.
Mainstream media acts as if they can't depict a movie where black folks share honest love with each other (unless some black person wrote it).
No one wants black men and women together in a loving relationship...even in a freakin cartoon. :nono:

"Ah--toss em a bone, they'll take anything we throw at them."
It''s sad.
But not surprising. All half of us do is gulp down whatever the media and dominant culture feed us anyway.
No love for each other and no knowledge of culture or place in the world.
These kids ain't taught nothing about Africa except that many people there seem to die of AIDS.
These kids don't know nothing about blackness except that they're the descendants of slaves.
The kids hardly see anything displayed in the media except black folks stomping on each other to fall in love with anything--so long as the object of affection doesn't look like US.

...and we wonder why so many black folks are just 'lost'; running around applying 'Slave Logic' to everything.

Ok I'm done. :grin:
Ppl can think as they will and I will think as I will.
I don't care how pretty she is. I don't care if this is the first black Disney Princess film...
Take your kids if you want to. If this is the storyline--this cartoon won't get a dime outta me.
Cause they coulda kept this ish.
If you're going to do something do it RIGHT...

ITA on your rant :lachen:

Well when you put it like that, I have to agree.

I'm Nigerian, a Yoruba princess myself...

I have to wonder what makes white people so desperate to pretend there isn't such a thing as African princesses... when we clearly outnumber these white princesses. In fact I think there are more Asian princesses than white too... and Indian... Now I'm mad.:nono:

Damn shame.

1. This country acts like black people just materialized off the slave ships I swear. Is it still the same storyline.

Egypt's riches came largely due to her close association with Nubia. In fact they found gold processing sites near the city of Kerma(i believe).
--What about Egypt? Black pharoahs ruled and were among the upper class LONG BEFORE THE 25TH DYNASTY!
--What about Zimbabwe?--Africa was always a source of great mineral wealth and trade (which contributed to it's downfall, imo).
--Sub-Saharan Africa was in a Golden Age when other nations (like Europe) were fumbling around in the dark ages fighting the Plague.
--People came from all over the known world to be educated and teach at the madrassas of Timbuktu! In fact they just uncovered thousands of pages of manuscripts from the learning center.

Yet.....THIS--is the best Disney could come up with: A friggin 'chambermaid' and her pet croc living in post Civil War Louisiana singing voodoo songs while waiting for a white prince to save her?

>>sigh<<

Everytime black folks got a love interest they're almost aways white--what is that about?
Ain't nothin wrong with IR relationships but hell--ain't nothin wrong with loving your own people either. Damn that. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see that love demonstrated in the media for a change instead of these ridiculously forced images.
Mainstream media acts as if they can't depict a movie where black folks share honest love with each other (unless some black person wrote it).
No one wants black men and women together in a loving relationship...even in a freakin cartoon. :nono:

It''s sad.
But not surprising. All half of us do is gulp down whatever the media and dominant culture feed us anyway.
These kids ain't taught nothing about Africa except that many people there seem to die of AIDS.
These kids don't know nothing about blackness except that they're the descendants of slaves.
The kids hardly see anything displayed in the media except black folks stomping on each other to fall in love with anything--so long as the object of affection doesn't look like US.

...and we wonder why so many black folks are just 'lost'; running around applying 'Slave Logic' to everything.

I don't care how pretty she is. I don't care if this is the first black Disney Princess film...
Take your kids if you want to. If this is the storyline--this cartoon won't get a dime outta me.
If you're going to do something do it RIGHT...

i ripped this from Wikepedia while searching for info, so i can't verify how "true" it is but thought i'd share:

On May 8, 2007, BET and other online sites reported that Disney spokeswoman Heidi Trotta stated that some of the original release information was incorrect, and confirmed the USA Today names "Princess Tiana" and The Princess and the Frog to be correct. Tiana will no longer be a "chamber maid." Trotta stated "Princess Tiana will be a heroine in the great tradition of Disney’s rich animated fairy tale legacy, and all other characters and aspects of the story will be treated with the greatest respect and sensitivity."[17]

it is "interesting" that Disney is pairing a black heroine with a white prince. but i guess for the storyline to make sense he has to be white... the little white girl in the movie wouldn't want a black prince right? but we all know black women are just desperately lusting after white men... that's why it was okay for plantation owners to rape their female slaves, but not okay for their wives to sleep with the male slaves. DUH YOU GUYS :rolleyes:

IA that i would've rather seen Disney make it an African storyline instead of African-American. i guess they felt the Lion King was already African and they didn't wanna go that route again... *sighs* :perplexed

anyway... since the Disney renaissance in the late 80's, the "princess" was usually very young and highly sexualized. and part of a woman's attractiveness/sexuality is her hair.

ariel.jpg

belle.jpg

yes, Jasmine was my favorite and STILL my animated hair idol :drunk:
jasmine.jpg

jasmine2.jpg

Pocahontas.jpg

a "less celebrated" heroine, i don't know if Esmeralda is in the Disney princess ranks or not
esmeralda.jpg

... or Megara for that matter
megara.jpg

i think Mulan is the first to not be sexualized in the manner that the previous women were
mulan.jpg

then you have Jane
jane2.jpg

and Nani (i think that's how you spell it), does she count?
nani.jpg

Jane is the only one with "average" length hair... unless you count Mulan when she was undercover as a guy. Belle would be 2nd but even she looks to be BSL or longer... :look:

so i'm not surprised that the black princess would also have very big/long hair. for those who were upset by her curly texture... i mean this is Disney we're talking about. i think her hair is a good compromise considering all the various types and textures we have in our race. :yep:

i don't know if i will go to theaters to see it, since i'm sure my son won't be interested in it and i have no daughters. will probably rent it when it comes out on DVD.

>>sigh<<

It''s sad.

If you're going to do something do it RIGHT...[/quote

Go ahead and rant! We need to hear it!

i ripped this from Wikepedia while searching for info, so i can't verify how "true" it is but thought i'd share:

On May 8, 2007, BET and other online sites reported that Disney spokeswoman Heidi Trotta stated that some of the original release information was incorrect, and confirmed the USA Today names "Princess Tiana" and The Princess and the Frog to be correct. Tiana will no longer be a "chamber maid." Trotta stated "Princess Tiana will be a heroine in the great tradition of Disney’s rich animated fairy tale legacy, and all other characters and aspects of the story will be treated with the greatest respect and sensitivity."[17]

it is "interesting" that Disney is pairing a black heroine with a white prince. but i guess for the storyline to make sense he has to be white... the little white girl in the movie wouldn't want a black prince right? but we all know black women are just desperately lusting after white men... that's why it was okay for plantation owners to rape their female slaves, but not okay for their wives to sleep with the male slaves. DUH YOU GUYS :rolleyes:

IA that i would've rather seen Disney make it an African storyline instead of African-American. i guess they felt the Lion King was already African and they didn't wanna go that route again... *sighs* :perplexed

anyway... since the Disney renaissance in the late 80's, the "princess" was usually very young and highly sexualized. and part of a woman's attractiveness/sexuality is her hair.

ariel.jpg

belle.jpg

yes, Jasmine was my favorite and STILL my animated hair idol :drunk:
jasmine.jpg

jasmine2.jpg

Pocahontas.jpg

a "less celebrated" heroine, i don't know if Esmeralda is in the Disney princess ranks or not
esmeralda.jpg

... or Megara for that matter
megara.jpg

i think Mulan is the first to not be sexualized in the manner that the previous women were
mulan.jpg

then you have Jane
jane2.jpg

and Nani (i think that's how you spell it), does she count?
nani.jpg

Jane is the only one with "average" length hair... unless you count Mulan when she was undercover as a guy. Belle would be 2nd but even she looks to be BSL or longer... :look:

so i'm not surprised that the black princess would also have very big/long hair. for those who were upset by her curly texture... i mean this is Disney we're talking about. i think her hair is a good compromise considering all the various types and textures we have in our race. :yep:

i don't know if i will go to theaters to see it, since i'm sure my son won't be interested in it and i have no daughters. will probably rent it when it comes out on DVD.

ITA

The Lion King though, had an "Africanized" feel to it such as music, animals, etc. But the story of the Lion King is based off of Shakespere's (sp?) play "Hamlet"(still "whitenized"). So it wouldn't kill them to actually make a movie based off of African kingdoms and culture.

Seraphim, thank you for the reminder, it was needed. I've been in the ruins of Great Zimbabwe, but I don't know any stories about it. I don't have any children, so I probably won't be in the theater for this one, but I might still go see it. If I waited for people to do a great job on everything I participated in, I'd probably do very little. So I tend to weigh the benefits against the drawbacks and see what comes out a winner. I don't know how they'll do this story, but I hope there will be more benefits than drawbacks. Who knows, maybe the princess's and her parents will make a positive black family? Anyway, I'll wait until the movie is out to reserve judgment.

I still like her hair. :)

Well... I'm excited about it and I LOVE her hair. Realistic or not, the princess is gorgeous and it is a step in the right direction. :yep:

I'm ecxited about it because the last time I heard, her name is suppose to be Tiana which is my daughter's name! We're going to have fun redecorating her room in princess Tiana!

Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing. I so love her loose hair, it is so pretty.

One of my writer friends who is also an illustrator gave me a link to the new concept illustrations of the forthcoming Disney Princess movie, THE PRINCESS & THE FROG. It contains some very beautiful and stunning character design artwork, most of them by African-American artists.

The art styles are very diverse and she is shown with everything from funky braids, dreadlocks, afro to long wavy curls.

Take a peek at how the new Disney princess might possibly look.

http://wyntur-snow.livejournal.com/36629.html#cutid1

The princess has GORGEOUS hair!

Back