Date for free food?

I'm a broke college student and I did it 3 times in a row last week. I was hungry and had no food in the house! Lol

If the guy is decent enough I probably will and if I know he is shallow and in it for purely sexual motives I definitely will. I feel if a guy is only trying to use me why should I feel bad about getting something out of it?

If the guy is a good guy then I'm not just in it for the food, there is also the chance to have nice conversation with another person. Even if it doesn't lead to more, you might become friends.

Sidenote: I was not attracted to SO when we first met but he kept taking me out on dates (more like two friends hanging out but he payed for everything) and he was such a good guy I woke up one day and realized that I actually really liked him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using LHCF

I did. It was a great way to try out new restaurants on someone else's dime. With enough wine, everyone can seem like good company.

No i have never done this and it baffles me when women go on a date with someone they have NO interest in and say "hey its free food". I can buy my own food and would rather spend my time doing something more constructive.

When I was single and started to get nervous about dating, I would convince myself to think of it as just a free meal and conversation :lol: It was my way of not putting too much pressure on it.

ETA: I just remembered that I went on a Valentines Date with a guy who I had already broken things off with. He had made the reservations 6 weeks before and basically begged me to still join him. Eventually I did because... well... it was Nobu :look: I'm not ashamed :lol:

Last edited:
I've never done this, but I like your story!MsKinkycurl

I couldn't do this. Nothing worse than sitting on a date thinking "I can't wait to get away from this boring clown". I'd rather just pop myself some popcorn and be my own little ray of sunshine entertainment.lol

Not directed at you ladies...but I always say I'd make a horrible call girl or prostitute. Sitting across from some insufferable bastard pretending to be interested and full of desire for a dollar...or a meal ticket.:look:
Anna Nicole was a ditzy genius.:lol:

Not surprised at the responses since this board seems to have a lot of introverts. It is understandable they would view a seemingly unnecessary interaction as a punishment. Unless someone is obnoxious, I will have a, at least, decent time around them.

its almost impossible for me to have a bad time when im dolled up and in lovely surroundings. that is the event. this dude nearby is a tagalong :lol:

Oh and "food" can easily be replaced with networking, getting your foot in the door somewhere, I wanna wear my dress out somewhere, making somebody else jealous etc.....so, Im gonna say in-advance, some of y'all better stop fronting like you ain't neva eva done so!

Nah, son. People literally go on dates for the plate. What you're saying happens too, but several times people literally have gone on a date for a plate here.

I was never broke enough to have to do this, and I'm not 100% introverted, but I would have found it a drag to go on a date with a guy I wasn't into just for the meal. Partly, cause I think it's mean but also because what if he wants another date? He keeps calling, etc. That would bother me.

Eta: some of what I'm hearing makes sense about the social interaction, not being bored, getting dressed up, passing the time with a decent guy. That's different than 'he paying? I'm eating' to me. What y'all are saying makes a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:
Eta: some of what I'm hearing makes sense about the social interaction, not being bored, getting dressed up, passing the time with a decent guy. That's different than 'he paying? I'm eating' to me. What y'all are saying makes a lot of sense to me.

you could substitute food for any number of activities and im there. something i wanna do + you're paying = alright, we got a plan here! i will tolerate you :lol:

once i got a message from a guy online that i wasnt interested in. i ignored his message. some time later he messaged me again and asked if i wanted to go to an nba game that night. you bet your sweet *** i went :lol:

So, I should 'not' go out for lunch with that middle-aged white male who keeps begging me to go to lunch with him? I gave him a "Tuesday if anything" response to his invite.

I know it's not business per se...but I am so not interested in him romantically (he seems tight with his money:look:). However he can prove useful as a reference when I am looking for a promotion.

Last edited:
So, I should 'not' go out for lunch with that middle-aged white male who keeps begging me to go to lunch with him? I gave him a "Tuesday if anything" response to his invite.

I know it's not business per se...but I am so not interested in him romantically (he seems tight with his money:look:). However he can prove useful as a reference when I am looking for a promotion.

Girl, go!

Going out, being great company and getting a nice meal is not tantamount to whoredom or selling out from feminism as some here may imply. :rolleyes:

Get your meal and professional schmoozing on. :yep:

#TeamFreeMeal :look:

Just cause I have the money to spend on a meal doesn't mean I want to spend it. And if I get to enjoy the company of a nice young man while I enjoy my meal, why not? I wouldn't be saying going out to bad restaurants with an arse though

Last edited:
Depends on the guy (and more importantly, the restaurant). I wouldn't waste time with someone I despised, but certain qualities may come to light that I wasn't expecting. If not, I was fed and that's it.

#TeamFreeMeal :look:

Just cause I have the money to spend on a meal doesn't mean I want to spend it. And if I get to enjoy the company of a nice young man while I enjoy my meal, why not? I wouldn't be saying going out to bad restaurants with an arse though

Loooolllll I love the hash tag..

As long as he's cute enough to be in public with and a gentleman why not. If anything he could become a good friend.

I have been on a date for food with someone I wouldn't be interested in otherwise. I ended up liking him though and yes I was broke at the time.

Back