College Students and haircare??

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Ok ....all of you college students who are members of LHCF can you please share how you style your hair and and what products have worked the best for you. Everyone knows that college work can take tons of time so that's why it's so hard for me to balance everything including keeping my hair in good shape. Any info would be apprciated :D .

Right now I just wear a plain ole' regualr low ponytail to school and it's soooo boring. I am really over it.

Being a college student, i can't make it to the hair salon, so i started trying to take care of my hair....this is my regimine:
Wash hair every week with Sanniyah's Moisturizing shampoo-it does not have SLS in it. My hair does not feel dry anymore after i wash it.
I put Queene Helene Cholesterol in my hair for two minutes, wash it out, then I put it back in my hair for deep condtioning with my heating cap.
Then I put SheaMoisture Detangling Leave In- Its main ingredient in Sheabutter. I also put Organics Hair Mayonnaise Leave In.
I wrap my hair and sit under the dryer until my hair is half way dry.
I grease my scalp with Sheamoisture pomade-its main ingredient in sheabutter. I but Organics sheabutter on my hair, especially on the ends.
Then I roller set my hair. ( I like to dry set my hair) I use black and sassy's setting lotion.

I am going to start doing CO washes once a week with Queene Helene Cholesterol Conditioner and i am going to start doing my hot oil treatments once a week.

My hair is doing much better now that i am trying to take care of it.

thanks tinkat for responding. My hair is doing do much better since I have found LHCF but I really can't go to the salon either. My hairstyles are just so BORING! My growth is faster but the different textures makes it even harder to manage or do cute hairstyles that won't break my hair.

Well at the moment in terms of styling I am on a bun challenge. This is a low maintainance style and great for retaining length if you can find a regime that works for your hair. I am still in the process of doing that so I can't share any particular products although care free curl is good for moisture and motions nourish leave in conditioner is good.

Well, I am out for this semester (since Jan 31, 2005 withdrew due to illness and hospitalization) and I won't return until the end of August, so I have had ample time to bother with my hair. I now condition and shampoo daily, air dry with my hair loose, and when its dry I put it into a protective style for the rest of the day. I baggie at night. I think I will be able to do this when I go back to school, because it doesn't take me any longer to wash my hair every morning than it does to shower, because I wash IN the shower. I will continue to stretch my touch-ups 12-16 weeks. I don't go to salons. My hair isn't time consuming now, so I don't worry about it when it comes to going back to school. Plus, being a nursing student, we aren't allowed to have our hair touching the collar of our uniforms or our lab coats, so the protective style thing sure will be easy!

I used to wear my hair down everyday (before LHCF) except on clinical days. My protective styles are a braid that's pinned up (when I can't air dry it loose I air dry in a braid), a dry french twist, and a dry pinned up bun (no elastics used). I also do a simple twist up and put a clip in it. That's it. The best products for me are:

Cantu Shea Butter Grow Strong Strengthening Treatment
" " " Leave-In Repair Cream
Creme of Nature (Ultra Moisturizing Formula) Detangling & Conditioning Shampoo
Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo
Nexxus Keraphix Protein Reconstructor
Dabur Vatika Oil
Infusium 23 Leave-In for colored/permed/relaxed hair
Profectiv Healthy Ends
Profectiv Growth N' Health Anti-Thinning Circulation Stimulant
Aussie Moist Conditioner
Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor DEEEP w/Tea Tree Oil
Nexxus Humectress

I really don't do much to my hair either, but its because im trying to get it healthy first, i just rollerwrap it or but it up on days that i don't have a wrap. I say as long as it is healthy, a simple hairstyle will always look nice.

In my first year at uni, i was living in halls where i had to share a bathroom with SEVEN other girls! I think i washed my hair every 6 weeks back then at the salon, because i never had the time to do it in halls. I either wore my hair down, or in a low,loose ponytail. My staple products were: IC Fantasia Hair Polisher Mist and Kemi Oyl. I did have braids put in for 2 months over that period, and when i removed them, most of my hair fell out :-(

Now that im in my 2nd year, i'm living at home, so i have much more freedom to do things with my hair. I co-wash at least every week, and go to the salon mainly for re-touches. My main styles are low ponytails, rough buns, flexi-sets and braid-outs. My staple products are:

Tigi Honey and Oatmeal conditioner
Lekair conditioner
S-curl
Tigi Ego boost
Tigi girl toys
Tigi control freak hair serum
S-curl
Kemi oyl
Fantasia ic hair polisher mist
Aveda brilliant emolient
Smooth and shine polisher
Redken clear moisture moist ends

I started college in 2001 and have since grew my hair out natural. I did not have the money to go to the salons and get it done like many of my friends did. There was a time when I couildn't even afford to buy a box perm from CVS, so I just decided to go natural and I have had success with wearing my hair in twists and twistouts. Occasionally, I will go to a natural hair salon and get braid extensions when I have money. Other than that, I do protein treatments on my hair once a month with Motions CPR and that seems to keep the breakage away. I also try to wash my hair weekly or bi-weely, depending on how much time I have or how tired I am. I keep my hair moisturized every day with MyHoneyChild Honey Hair Soy Milk, Aha's Coco de Leche, or some type of hair cream (I have too many to name). When my hair is in twists, I oil my scalp every night and wrap with a silk scarf. Lately, I have been using Organic Root Stimulator's Fertilizing Serum or Asha's Roots serum. I also spray the twists with Oyin's Greg Juice or Asha's Silk Rose.

When I first started college in 2001 I wore braids, I did not know about LHCF. My routines were braids, phony pony tails and wigs were all the styles I have time and money for. Now I am doing the Crown and Glory challenge for this year. I currently have braids in until June 7th then my two months are up. Then for summer I will be wearing a bun for the summer so when school starts again in August I will have my braids put back in. I think since I found LHCF I am taking better care of my hair with washing, styling and conditioning. Now my hair is growing and maintaining length. My only problem now is being a product junkie. But I promised myself I would use the products that I have now and buy more when I run out.

I'm not in undergrad, but I am a grad student and my time is limited as well. When I was fully relaxed I conditioner washed my hair every 3 days and slapped my hair in either a french bun, regular bun or ponytail to dry (a few minutes under a dryer...but mostly it airdried). Sometimes I did a rollerset or braidout.

Now that I am trying to transition I am washing once a weeks... (still mostly conditioner washes) and wearing my hair in a ponytail...bun... headwrap and on the rare occassion, I flat iron and wear it down (I just got a fly haircut a few weeks ago).

I tend to favor drugstore brands like Suave, Elasta and NTM... BUT...

My endulgences are

Keracare Humecto and setting lotion
Kenra clarifying shampoo (for the rare occasion)
Jojoba oil
and I just got a small bottle of Farouk Silk Therapy for when I flat iron.

As a college student time and money is a big thing for me so I know that I have to set out time to take care of my hair. Like today, I took 3 hours just preshampoo treatment, clarify, wash and condition, then deep condition, and attempt a twist out. Money is no joke because I can't afford alot, but I make sure that what I buy is low priced and of good quality. I've been co washing w/ suave milk and honey 1x a week, and every week i do a preshampoo treatment w/ suave milk and honey condit., honey, and olive oil.Then I wash w/ Silk elements shampoo and then the conditioner. I just got lustrasilk's herbal cholesterol for 99 cents at Sally's and my hair loves it. To moisturize I use elasta qp mango butter daily (buns) and I just got s-curl and I haven't used that yet. I also apply oils like hot 6 and africa's best herbal oil. I don't have the cash to buy a hair dryer so I just use a plastic cap and a towel for my deep conditioning and preshampoo treatment. Basically if your hair is important to you just take some extra time out of your day to do the basic things. HTH

I co wash my hair everyday with Mane n Tail Conditioner. After rinsing it out, I put on a little more as a leave in. I make a ponytail then I put a lot of vaseline on the length of the ponytail. I put it in a bun. It takes less than five minutes and my hair is still doing fine.

I used to be tired of this greased up bun, but it is the only thing that stops people from playing in my hair :(

I wear my hair down these days

I tend to rollerset on the weekend and I do pin curls to maintain the style. I just finger comb in the morning and go.

blessedangil03 said:
As a college student time and money is a big thing for me so I know that I have to set out time to take care of my hair. Like today, I took 3 hours just preshampoo treatment, clarify, wash and condition, then deep condition, and attempt a twist out. Money is no joke because I can't afford alot, but I make sure that what I buy is low priced and of good quality. I've been co washing w/ suave milk and honey 1x a week, and every week i do a preshampoo treatment w/ suave milk and honey condit., honey, and olive oil.Then I wash w/ Silk elements shampoo and then the conditioner. I just got lustrasilk's herbal cholesterol for 99 cents at Sally's and my hair loves it. To moisturize I use elasta qp mango butter daily (buns) and I just got s-curl and I haven't used that yet. I also apply oils like hot 6 and africa's best herbal oil. I don't have the cash to buy a hair dryer so I just use a plastic cap and a towel for my deep conditioning and preshampoo treatment. Basically if your hair is important to you just take some extra time out of your day to do the basic things. HTH

does the honey and oil make your hair more moisturized?

My first year of college (2001) I used to do a wash and go all the time. My hair grew a lot but then I got it cut into a style and started experimenting with color...which damaged my hair. I just started taking better care of it last year. I started off with a lot of Nexxus products that I still have. Anyway, I wash at least once a week (EQP CCS and deep condition with KeraCare, Humectress/EVOO, or NTM Mask) and will also do a co wash about twice a week (with either NTM DDC or V05 Strawberries and Cream). I usually where a bun or a low ponytail that I braid up or pin under. Lately, I have been doing braidouts that have been turning out pretty good and I'll wear my hair down and just keep it moisturized. I am very, very low maintenance with my hair because I just don't have the time to do other things with it.

I daily wash when i take a shower, so it doesnt take long and I wear my hair in a bun with an afro piece over it. I also let Sunday be the day that i pre shampoo, shampoo, and deep condition...it takes me about 2hours, which isnt bad...i then let it air dry in a ponytail...

I use Nexxus and Salerm Products

Well, Im so busy and very involved with school that I do not have the time to do my hair myself. So I go to my fav salon reactionsbeauty.com and get my hair done there, about every Friday. Im young so I love experimenting with my hair. Since joining this forum the health of my hair has been so much better. And it has been growing, I just have a problem always wanting to trim it, but Im trying to stop from that as much cause its gotten addictive, instead I put highlights.

Anyways, I wear my hair out most of the time and put it up when it needs to be washed, which is basically the day before or the day of ... when I get my hair done at the salon.

I go to school full time and work full time... :eek: yeah..
Anyways, I can only find time to wash at nights and Sundays.
I condition wash 2 nights out of the week. Then place my hair in 2 ponies, or plaits and go to bed...in the morning my hair is usually dry. Next I would throw on a phonie phony, 1/2 wig, or my braid out style. On Sundays I shampoo wash, deep condition, and rollers....I alway air dry.

I wear twists 90% of the time. I have pretty much set aside sunday as the day that I wash and style. Twisting takes up a lot of my time, and is the main reason why my routine takes hours. I have been styling it myself in twists for more than a year. Before that I was alternating, between having braids in and then styling myself.

Staples this semester:
Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine: shampoo & conditioner
Oyin's: Whipped Pudding, Greg's juice, honey conditioner (I use as a leave in)
Biosilk Silk Therapy (use on hair ends)
Sulpher 8
Surge

I only go to the salon to get touch-ups and I have friends who do my braids and weaves, but everything else is done by myself. I wash once or twice a week using Nexxus Therappe and Humectress, and I use the Headdress as my leave-in. Someone took my Profectiv Healthy Ends (ugh!) and now I'm alternating between mango butter and Soft and Beautiful botanicals butter creme. I lost a lot of growth b/c I didn't detangle correctly after I took out my last weave :-( so I just wear my hair in a low ponytail or rollerwrap it.

I wash and deep condition once or twice a week depending on the weather. I usually roller set and wrap, but if I am pressed for time, I will blow dry and ceramic iron.

I do my own relaxers, trims, and color. I just take my time and do it. Your hair is like anything else that you do. You section off a bit of time and devote it to hair.

I use my time under the dryer to read or doze a little. Whatever I need to do more.

im a grad student too....and im a lazy one at that....i do protective styles most of the time because i just dont feel like obsessing over my hair! usually i'll put it in twists (my hair is natural), which i do on dry hair, and i keep those in for two weeks....and then i redo it....occasionally i'll straighten it, and even then i dont do anything with it but pin it up...

generally, i shampoo and deep condtion once a week....i use a lot of shea butter and coconut oil....as a leave in, its either NTM silk touch or salerm21 (depends on what kind of mood im in)

College student checking in. These days I just co-wash it twice a week with Mane 'N Tail and moisturize with Profectiv while its still damp. The I either keep it in a bun or let it air dry in a ponytail. Keepin it simple. :)

I basically stocked up on two tubs of affirm so I'll be set for 2 years. I also use my basic paul mitchell products, and make sure to use every ounce of these products before I try to experiment or move on to another. This saves me dollars because there is no middle man (ie hairdresser) involved.

I'm in school now! I wash my hair 1-2 times a week usually. I usually pretreat once a week, so I do that while I'm cleaning or something and then I'll jump in the shower to handle my hair business! I'll either air dry in a bun/braid/braids for braid out or I'll rollerset. It usually doesn't take too much time out of my day and when I'm under the dryer that's supposed to be my time to catch up on my reading..supposed to be :)

I'm currently using Nexxus therappe, humectress, keraphix, rusk sensories smoother leave-in, WGO and evoo and coconut oil, and PM Tea Tree shampoo.

Hmm....maybe I should try doing some bantu knots or a twistout/braidout?? Rollersets work well but take me too long to do in the morning before school. How long do these styles normally last for you ladies?:D

If I do a good set it will last a week. I never do my hair in the morning. Nothing besides a little oil sheen spray and a comb down. If I had to do my hair in the morning, I wouldn never make it out of the dorm.

Part time grad student who works full time. I shampoo, deep condition and rollerset on Sunday evenings, using my dryer time to read. During the warmer months I'll also conditioner wash one evening mid-week. Those days I do the scarf method to dry halfway under the dryer, then I'll braid it up before going to bed. In the a.m. its mostly dry, I add a little moisuturizer and bun it up.

Back