The Official Broke College Students Thread

I just researched this for myself. But the Roux porosity control works by pH balancing your hair. Mixing whole leaf aloe vera juice into all your products to bring the pH balance in line with your hairs will work the same way.

I tried it as a prepoo and mixed into my leave in and I'm loving the results.

I just wanted to add this for anyone who uses coupons and Aussie/Herbal Essence products. I just did this deal at Rite Aid. The Aussie 3 min miracle is considered a styler product.

Buy 1 Aussie or Herbal Essence Product on sale for $2.50
Buy 1 Aussie or Herbal Essence Styler sale price $2.50
Use $1.00/1 Herbal Essences or Aussie Product, excludes trial size from RedPlum 6/12/11
And use $3.00/1 Herbal or Aussie Styler, when you buy (1) Herbal or Aussie Product, excluding trial sizes from Proctor&Gamble 7/3/11
Pay $.50 each

I am literally down to about 4-5 main products.

Giovonni SAS Deeper Moisture Condish
Giovonni SAS Moisture Shampoo
Castor Oil - Cheap
Flaxseeds - Super Cheap
Aloe Vera Juice - Also Cheap

Switching to all natural products has actually cut my expenses.

Ok before heading straight to sallies try family dollar and dollar general for some deals cause more than likey you wont find a sallies close to a college

Suave + olive oil + honey = DC

Water + Suave + castor oil = leave in

Coconut milk + olive oil + castor oil = DC

You can substitute other oils for olive oil, or you can use glycerin instead of castor oil if that works better for your hair.

Sent from my HTC Evo

All my staples come from family dollar the reason being I can almost always find them there no matter what town im in

Definitely ultrasheen duo tex.
I don't believe everything has to be a cheap brand though(unless you don't mind and your hair likes it). You can get large sizes of quality products if you look for them.

Buuuut if I had to recommend some products on the cheap side.....(all at Sally's)
Moisturizing shampoos- motions lavish, silk elements luxury moisturizing, creme of nature argan oil(if you can take the smell), Elasta qp shampoo for relaxed hair.
Clarifying shampoos- Ion clarifying, Ion hard water, ors creamy aloe.
Reconstructors- Aphogee 2 minute, Ion reconstructor, nutress protein pack, ion effective care treatment, motions cpr,
Moisturizing conditioners- ors replenishing, Ion moisturizing treatment, Motions silk protein conditioner, silk elements luxury moisturizing conditioner.
There was also some green cholesterol my mom used on my hair when I was younger(I'm guessing it was lekair) made my hair very soft and manageable.

*I have tried every one of these products.

Leave in conditioners- (Liquids) mane & tail moisture enriched hair strengthener, motions nourish, Ion miracle leave in, Ion leave in, beyond the zone protein cocktail, Mane & tail detangler

If you don't mind ordering online, scentedmonkey.com has lots of salon brands for dirt cheap and reasonable shipping. They have dudley's nairobi, affirm, keracare, mizani, joico, chi, carol's daughter, and lots more.
They are offering free shipping until August 21st.

Sallies is still to expensive when your on a ramen noodle first time college student budget.

V05, Suave? In Target they have big liters of the shampoos and conditioners for a little under $3. V05 is always like 79 cents in most drugstores or dollar stores.

sckri23 said:
VO5 and Sauve stay cheap everywhere im mostly talkin about $4 relaxer kits

Im talkin about this one $4 at doller general

ForumRunner_20120820_054444.jpg

4 of these in one box thats $1 each. Sallies has relaxers cheap but I dont think its like this and as a student you need to buy in bulk to save money.

Spend $16 total for 4 touch ups or spend $4 and have 4 touch ups to use

ETA: Im still lookin for it on the sallies website just in case im wrong im woman enough to except defeat

Last edited:
Im talkin about this one $4 at doller general

View attachment 164415

4 of these in one box thats $1 each. Sallies has relaxers cheap but I dont think its like this and as a student you need to buy in bulk to save money.

Spend $16 total for 4 touch ups or spend $4 and have 4 touch ups to use

ETA: Im still lookin for it on the sallies website just in case im wrong im woman enough to except defeat

I'm skeptical about that dollar general relaxer :nono:

If you don't mind ordering online, scentedmonkey.com has lots of salon brands for dirt cheap and reasonable shipping. They have dudley's nairobi, affirm, keracare, mizani, joico, chi, carol's daughter, and lots more.
They are offering free shipping until August 21st.

Angelinhell i just checked out scentedmonkey.com and some of those prices are too good to be true. Are these 100% genuine products?

Angelinhell i just checked out scentedmonkey.com and some of those prices are too good to be true. Are these 100% genuine products?

lovebug10
The only thing I ever ordered from them was nairobi and joico reconstructor. They seemed real to me. The website also says the products are 100% genuine. I guess you should purchase at your own discretion though.

Last edited:
VO5 and Sauve stay cheap everywhere im mostly talkin about $4 relaxer kits

Oh, ok, well I guess that all depends on what your hair can handle, what you like and how often you relax. But personally, if I had to use a box relaxer I would at least get a trusted and well known brand. Like say ors or vitale, they're only like 7 or 8 dollars(depends on where you go). How often do you relax? I don't know how much your personal expenses are, but 7 or 8 dollars every 3 months or so shouldn't send you to the poor house.

Its works fine for me. There are real brands at family dollar and dollar general for good prices. Sallies isnt cheap I just bought 2 small products for $19.07?? That means if I wanted name brand shampoos, conditioners, and leave-ins I would need $30 and even then I might have to put something back to pay the tax.

$8.99 + tax for 8 ounces of product?
$11.99 + tax for shampoo and conditioners (not sold in sets.)

On a college budget with "lets eat out" food, "this is a cute shirt" clothes, and other expenses.... Thats probably $80 a week. Its too much..

Dollar general has name brands at good prices. Just sayin.

ETA: You shouldnt have to actually HUNT for bargains. I was in there 15 mins when with nothing in my hand when I finally asked for help finding a cheap DC.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

Last edited:
Hey ya'll, so i've been planning to make a YT channel for the longest now in order to track my progress. Well, I finally did it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MariposasMane?feature=mhee

I'm going to be using this channel as a way to track my growth journey via wigs and also creating a regimen that fits my budget. I can't be buying these nice fancy 8oz containers of $25 hair lotion, ya'll. I want to reduce the amount of steps, times, and products in my current regimen. I don't believe natural hair has to be complicated if we do not want it to be.

Back