Coffee and/or Tea Rinse Challenge 2012

karenjoe--black teas did not work for me. But only because they did nothing for my shedding and breakage. I'm convinced mixing coffee with my henna made my hair hard. So I don't use coffee either. I think the black teas and coffee are too acidic for my strands.

I use herbal teas.

However, You said you used Aphogee? Is that a massive protein treatment that can make hair incredibly brick-like? Protein is known to do that. Might not have been the teas.

karenjoe--black teas did not work for me. But only because they did nothing for my shedding and breakage. I'm convinced mixing coffee with my henna made my hair hard. So I don't use coffee either. I think the black teas and coffee are too acidic for my strands.

I use herbal teas.

However, You said you used Aphogee? Is that a massive protein treatment that can make hair incredibly brick-like? Protein is known to do that. Might not have been the teas.

Have you ever used green tea? I'm thinking of trying it. TIA

lamaria211

I'm going to be trying Green Tea too. I have a couple of Tazo Green Tea Bags and a Tea Bag called "Leaves" which is a variety of leaves (I assume).

But I am planning at least 1 or 2 Tea Rinses with Green Tea, so we'll have to compare notes.

lamaria211

I'm going to be trying Green Tea too. I have a couple of Tazo Green Tea Bags and a Tea Bag called "Leaves" which is a variety of leaves (I assume).

But I am planning at least 1 or 2 Tea Rinses with Green Tea, so we'll have to compare notes.

Cool I'm doing mine tomorrow so ill report back tomorrow evening :)

@lovelycurls--it's never too late for tea! :) Welcome!
lamaria211--Not really. Think I tried Jasmine once but didn't like it. Should give it a longer shot, really...
_______
Today is brew day! I will be making 2 batches:
1 plain Marshmallow root just to rinse and to apply under my DC with heat after washing
1 spritz bottle of nettle and burdock as my "leave in" for the week.

Last edited:
didnt rinse, but I did sprtitz with horsetail, rosehip and marshmallow tea before I put in my DC this morning :lick:

Yes karenjoe I'm one that didn't care for black tea. I seemingly use everything else though.
I use a blend under my dc before I wash or cowash (Hibiscus, marshmallow, rosemary, fenugreek, burdock, thyme, fennel, green and catnip).
Once in the shower after I rinse my hair I add more tea (bhringaraj, nettle, saw palmetto, lavendar, horsetail, rosehip and catnip) then oil for an oil rinse then my conditioner. Put on a cap and wash my body. Then after I rinse that all out I apply a final rinse of aloe vera juice and another mix of tea (rooibos, fenugreek, slippery elm, malva and moringa). Clearly I overdose on the tea but my brews last me several days so it really isn't a lot of work. Nor is pouring it over my head...I say that because I know written down it seems like a whole lot!! That final rinse I do not rinse out, just squeeze out the excess.

Hope that helps:yep:

Brewed Some saw plamento and Burdock root, used under my dc
Brewed Moringa tea, horse tail, rosemary leaf, catnip, earl grey black tea, and roobois tea, acv&avj....used for a final rinse(leave in)

Nixo8, thank you.....

now I know why I had brick hair!!:lol:.... I would leave it on maybe 5 min then rinse it out.......
I had no idea I saw girls on youtube say " just pour it on & rinse it out....
which worked... ONCE!:drunk:

thank you so much :yay:

Last edited:
@karenjoe--black teas did not work for me. But only because they did nothing for my shedding and breakage. I'm convinced mixing coffee with my henna made my hair hard. So I don't use coffee either. I think the black teas and coffee are too acidic for my strands.

I use herbal teas.

:blush:
you could be right. Before I tried aphogee I tried the cheap black tea....
Never coffee ... I run from henna, too:nono:
I've heard too much protein will make you hair hard like that but I didn't know TEA would do it.... did you see a difference between the teas

I thought washing only once a month, my hair would need protein....:drunk: dc & shampooing TWICE! :grin: can you over use black tea or green tea?
( gonna try some herbal)
I'm going to waste time w aphoghee..... right now

@karenjoe

Here's how I do it:

Cowash or Co-Cleanse
Do a Protein Rx
Rinse
Steam w/DC'er
Rinse
ACV Rinse
Tea Rinse/Leave-In & Dry *I leave the Tea In and apply my leave-in*

Before:

I use to do the Tea Rinse After Steaming. My ACV Rinse was my Final Rinse.

Either way, never had hard hair. I used Lipton's Black Pearl Tea.

Some Ladies did not care for Black Tea Rinses.

@DarkJoy @Nix08 I think?

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR? :ban: really?
my uncle ask me to pour a bottle in his hair..... it got hard too!:perplexed
he was trying to remove his chemicals...
someone told him this would work
he blamed me cause he had a brillo pad hair....:lachen:
I was 12. I just poured it on his curl!!!!:lol:
He really had to cut the curl off...

I use an old school heat cap( by Wella's),,, it melt the conditioner...
that's good right?

Last edited:
just went to my stash...

White Tea diner's choice ( strawberry w vanilla)

organic apricot white tea bag by touch Organic

cinnamon Stick tea by bigelow

organic green tea no name

organic black tea..... no name

dieters tea!!!

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR? :ban: really?
my uncle ask me to pour a bottle in his hair..... it got hard too!:perplexed
he was trying to remove his chemicals...
someone told him this would work
he blamed me cause he had a brillo pad hair....:lachen:
I was 12. I just poured it on his curl!!!!:lol:
He really had to cut the curl off...

I use an old school heat cap( by Wella's),,, it melt the conditioner...
that good right?

karenjoe

Gurl...You hafta' Dilute the ACV.:blush:.....:lol:

You can't use it straight out the bottle. It's very acidic. I buy a pre-mix.

Yes, the Heat Cap is Good.:yep:

I use 5 bags. I let it cool down then pour it in my hair.

Then I rinse it out in maybe 5 min or less.... & DC....

5 Bags to how much water?:blush: I only use 2 bags per Tea Rinse (whether Black or Herbal). I let it sit overnight and use the next day.

:lol: well that's it!! :grin:

I use 5 bags to a med size pot.... ok now you got me thinking....:yep:

when it worked
I used a med pot poured it in a bowl let it sit on my hair...
I had enough for another bowl added a little more water it was too hot...
dripped all over my kitchen...:drunk: then I rinsed an DC for about 45 min

I gotta tell my uncle why his hair came out like a brick:lachen: in spots...... :lol:

I'm tender headed... no ACV..... its painful just thinking about my hair hard & tangling up..:drunk:
whew! I just had a flash back from getting my hair pressed!!:blush::cry:

okay okay ya'll.... I'm gonna try them & pay...

is it 7.00 shipping? for 2 bottles......:ohwell:

I may try their sampler... I luv samples:grin:

karenjoe

I say reduce the number of bags (No more than 3). Make it the night before you plan to use it and allow it to sit overnight with the bags still in it and use the next day.

ACV Rinse is excellent, if you use it correctly. Helps with porosity and shine. I prefer the pre-mixed, (cause I hate mixing stuff) although alot of folks make their own ACV Rinses with the proper ratio of ACV & Water.

Back