Coffee and/or Tea Rinse Challenge 2012

IDareT'sHair Thanks I feel so Welcome!:grin: Well, So far I plan on doing a black tea & a sage/rosemary tea rinse once a week. I'm going to the store this week to look for nettles to add to my mix as well.

Now I need to read through this thread to get up to speed...

cocomama

I'm sure you'll fit right in with all the other Tea-Heads!:coffee:

Enjoy! I'm sure You'll love it as much as we do.:lick:

And keep us updated on the Shedding.

I initally started out with Lipton's Pearl Black Tea and ended up with:

Horsetail
Nettle
Green
Saw Palmetto
Burdock Root
Rose Hips
Catnip
Moringa
Bamboo Leaf
Fenugreek
Milk Thistle

Dried Flowers of:
Hibiscus
Blue Malva
Chammomile

So, as you can see, it get's quite addicting.:look:

And Thanks for going back reading a few pages. It certainly helps.:yep:

^ I was just thinking about this the other day.

I've noticed that I stop tea rinses and prefer pastes when I'm deep into my relaxer stretch.

One week before my relaxer I always skip even the pastes and extras and just do protein treatment only.

I'm interested in learning what others do as well.

Last edited:
IDareT'sHair, good point re: it being organic. I wasn't sure and just wanted to make sure it wasn't along the lines of sulfur and the other things that's suggested to be stopped in advance.

Please count me in. My hair is shedding like a beast. I bought some fresh Burdock root from the Asian market and I am going to make a tea. Also going to add a pack of Nighty Night tea because it seems to have a lot of ingredients that are suggested.

I've been tea rinsing/DC'ing daily...I REALLY love my blends:yep: My hair feels so strong and silky (I like to use the term 'plastic'- it's so smooth up and down the shaft that it almost doesn't feel real:grin:)
Brewed a new batch last night of my rinse blend of: Nettle, saw palmento, lavendar, horsetail, rosehip and catnip:love:

I've been tea rinsing/DC'ing daily...I REALLY love my blends:yep: My hair feels so strong and silky (I like to use the term 'plastic'- it's so smooth up and down the shaft that it almost doesn't feel real:grin:)
Brewed a new batch last night of my rinse blend of: Nettle, saw palmento, lavendar, horsetail, rosehip and catnip:love:

@Nix08

I've made this before.:yep: Very Nice!

Instead of 'bolded' I used Fenugreek

What is a tea tea oil rinse? Glad your hair loves m.r.; it is awesome. :yep: @DarkJoy
Yes awesome @divachyk: My tea oil rinse is an experiment. Instead of steeping in water, I'm steeped in my favorite hair oils. It works great, though I made it too hot and my herbs came out a little crispy :lol::look:. Lower heat next time!

BTW, some boxed tea blends are NOT natural or organic. Brands like Celestial Seasonings use, "natural flavors" (they are not specific, so who knows what that is?!) and soy by-products. Other boxed brands use fake color and artifical flavors. Unless they say "organic" then you can assume they use pesticides and herbicides. Just read the boxes. If it's got weird crap in their besides your herb, then....think about it. lol. Hell, I don't even drink those (me=tea snob!).

Best to buy loose-leaf or one-ingredient teas, which I think you been doin anyways....
____

Update: Think my hair is rebelling at the addition of the black neem tea, which I knew it would. It HATES black/nonherbal teas...grr... next batch will be my regular herbal blend. *yells at self* Just stick to what it wants, DJ!

Last edited:
Made a big batch of my herb mix:
Hisbiscus flowers
Plantain leaf
Nettle leaf
Peppermint leaf
And chamomile flowers.

Rinsed with it between conditioners... My hair is happy!!

Thank you. I ended up making a tea with black tea, rosehips, rosemary & Nighty Night tea.

Where do you purchase nettle, saw palmetto and some of the other teas?

What does Fenugreek do for the hair?

ArrrBeee

I got mine at Vitcost.com Look at Alvita Teas.:yep:

I got Fenugreek because alot of the Brew-masters in this Thread was using it.

I need to go back and look. Maybe someone else can answer that.

ArrrBeee a very quick reply fenugreek is great for shine, smoothing cuticles and strengthening:yep: And if you want to enhance the "girls" you could apparently use it for that too:look:

Just massaged in some Jar of Joe.

I'm about to brew some black tea, rosemary, nettle, marshmallow root, and sage for my next couple of washes.

Just had a random thought lol. If youre going to do a treatment using teas, wouldnt it better to mix an infusion (tea) with some tincture based formulas together? There are some chemical properties that are alcohol soluble vs. water soluble; not sure which are better for the hair.

Anyways...I have fallen off but I do plan on getting right back to it!

Teehee!!

My Puerto Rican neighbor, who is also a stylist with Type 1-2 hair asked me to make her a batch! lol. She is totally curious how burdock root will affect her. She's said she's interested in me adding my fave ceramide oils as well. Guess I'll put in less oil for her. She will try it under her DC w/heat. I'm so tickled.:drunk:
____
This week I am wearing a twist out on blow dried hair so not tea spritzing. I will rinse on wash day this weekend. However, will make the both batches for my neighbor and myself at the same time.

To those that make quart to gallon size batches for rinses: I assume you refrigerate. Do you microwave before each use? Add warm tap water? Or just brave the iciness? (brrr!)

I brave the cold but before I would put it in a bottle then put that in a cup with hot water.

Used tea in my DC today. And rinse with it. I'm currently brewing a fresh batch of my rinse blend: horsetail, saw palmetto, catnip, nettle, lavendar (maybe more I can't remember now).

I'm tardy to the tea party... but I made and did my first rinse today!

I kept it really simple with just black tea this time. I dipped my hair in warm tea, then spritzed the tea on my scalp in sections and massaged. After, I added AO HSR. I'm letting body heat do its work now, and then I'll steam all the goodness in. I hope my hair likes it. :)

Back