Coffee and/or Tea Rinse Challenge 2012

Yesterday, spritzed after a good wash and DC. This morning, spritzed.

My hair is really loving the Neem tea addition better than the others I've tried. Even the bamboo! lovely stuff. No falls or breaking hairs at all.

My new brews have more balance now and it's been a good thing:yep: I still can't get over how moisturizing marshmallow root is:nono:

The other tea I got was Horsetail not Catnip. After I finish this gallon I'm going to do horsetail, burdock, and maybe nettle.

My hair has really like these extra tea rinse, its soft even in a puff. I never feel my hair is soft in a puff. Will keep refreshing with my tea spritz until I wash again.

The other tea I got was Horsetail not Catnip. After I finish this gallon I'm going to do horsetail, burdock, and maybe nettle.

My hair has really like these extra tea rinse, its soft even in a puff. I never feel my hair is soft in a puff. Will keep refreshing with my tea spritz until I wash again.
I agree with you, before tea rinsing, whenever my hair was in an "out style" no matter how moist my hair started out at the beginning of the day, by the end of the day it was dried and crispy. What a difference tea rinses have made, now when I do braid out/twistouts, etc. my hair is moist, soft and plush for days.

Yesterday, spritzed after a good wash and DC. This morning, spritzed.

My hair is really loving the Neem tea addition better than the others I've tried. Even the bamboo! lovely stuff. No falls or breaking hairs at all.
DarkJoy, neem tea, even better than bamboo? Do tell -- I want all the details, how do you use it, how often and what are the benefits and what has it done for your hair. Also, big question, how's the smell. I bought the oil I can't get myself to use it b/c of the extremely noxious smell.

Used Hibiscus, marshmallow, rosemary, fenugreek and burdock in my simple DC and will rinse with Nettle, saw palmento, lavendar, horsetail, rosehip and catnip.

@DarkJoy, neem tea, even better than bamboo? Do tell -- I want all the details, how do you use it, how often and what are the benefits and what has it done for your hair. Also, big question, how's the smell. I bought the oil I can't get myself to use it b/c of the extremely noxious smell.
@hair4today, no smell! I mean, the black tea smell but that's pleasant. The bamboo was good at softening, but it didn't do too much with the falls. Was tasty tho :lick:!

I can't remember the name, but the tea is sold as a black tea/neem leaf mix in the bulk tea section of Whole foods. It says Neem (something) on the jar. Here, it was like 2.65 an ounce! I got 1.5oz and that will last a long time.

I rinsed with the neem tea mixed with my usual nettle and burdock. DID NOT RINSE OUT. Then put the DC on top and sat under my heat cap for 15mins. Prior to that I had a wash n go for 3 days and sprayed my hair every morning to refresh the coils.

When I say no falls, I mean maybe like 5-10 shed hairs a day--I know because I comb or detangle daily. Amazing stuff! It's now a permanent addition to my spritz mix. :yep:

Last edited:
Stillsaddity, welcome to the challenge. The best way to get started is to decide what you'd like to do for your hair. Depending on your goals, select 2 - 3 herbs as a start. You brew the tea/coffee just like you would for drinking. Most steep overnight but a minimum of 1 hr should suffice. You can use your rinse prior to applying your DC (so that its layered underneath your DC treatment) or you can use as a post wash rinse or as a final rinse that's left in. Also, you can create a tea spritz by adding an essential oil to preserve. The best thing about tea/coffee rinsing is that you can customize an blend to suit the unique needs of your hair. To get started here's the link to some recipes that I posted up-thread. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=15460559#post15460559. Check in once in a while to let know how it's working for you.

Last edited:
@hair4today, no smell! I mean, the black tea smell but that's pleasant. The bamboo was good at softening, but it didn't do too much with the falls. Was tasty tho :lick:!

I can't remember the name, but the tea is sold as a black tea/neem leaf mix in the bulk tea section of Whole foods. It says Neem (something) on the jar. Here, it was like 2.65 an ounce! I got 1.5oz and that will last a long time.

I rinsed with the neem tea mixed with my usual nettle and burdock. DID NOT RINSE OUT. Then put the DC on top and sat under my heat cap for 15mins. Prior to that I had a wash n go for 3 days and sprayed my hair every morning to refresh the coils.

When I say no falls, I mean maybe like 5-10 shed hairs a day--I know because I comb or detangle daily. Amazing stuff! It's now a permanent addition to my spritz mix. :yep:
Thanks DarkJoy sounds great, and if there's no smell, then I'm sold. I'll look out for the Neem Tea next time I'm in Whole Foods.

Now that I think about it, its time to make my flax tea gel tonight. My twist outs aren't holding up. Will see how that neem tea works in it. Yum!

I need to join ya'll. I'm shedding like crazy again and the only thing that stopped it the last time was tea rinses. I plan on making my own coffee butter

Tried my first tea rinse today with black tea and peppermint. Rinsed before my dc and going to rinse as a final rinse. I'll let you know how that goes, hopefully it will be just as soft and supple as you all have described

So I bought a couple more teas today: fennel, thyme, roobois and marshamallow powder:grin:
Did a pre poo with only a tea spritz. Did a tea rinse with a mix of various teas and added catnip to my aloe vera juice for my final rinse.

IDareT'sHair using the catnip as part of my final rinse felt great:yep:

Other than the elusive Moringa tea I'm happy with my tea stash now:look:

Marshmallow is one that will be a mainstay in my regimen. You'll love it once you get it:yep:

Back