~*~*Break Out Your Castor Oil - 2010 Edition~*~*

Hi, I'm just wondering, does it work better using your mix everyday rather than less often, like a twice a week? Does it give you quicker growth? I'm using this same mix and I'm just wondering how often is best to use it for best effects without wasting it.

Hmm, I'm not really quite sure. I guess it kind of depends on your hair and whether or not you're heavy-handed, if that makes sense. Take me for example, I guess I technically use my mix everyday. In the morning I'll squirt some out on the tip of my finger and apply it all around my hairline since I'm currently wearing a wig. Next, I'll lightly apply the bottle to my scalp. At this point, when I say lightly, I mean lightly and then I'll massage it in. When I get ready for bed I'll do the same thing, except I may put a little more on the scalp at night. It isn't soaking, but it isn't as light either. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

I've been doing this for several months now ( really since October ) The right side of my hairline, near the temple, is completely filled in now! The left side is getting there. So, with that being said, I think it helps aids in growth time, but you also have to factor in the fact that I take a slew of vitamins daily (ie MSM, Chlorella, Vitamin D, and biotin)

@Geminigirl--I feel you with the wig thing. Goodness, I've been wigging my hair up for over a year and honestly I'm getting restless. I usually don't wear it on the weekends, strictly M-F, unless i'm going out or something. However, I got so fed up that I scheduled an appointment with a braider. I'm gonna get my hair twisted and keep those in for a few months.

Last edited:
Hello, growingstrong. I really can't give you a direct answer to this question. I know that castor oil is a very detoxifying oil, and has emollient properties for both hair and skin. I also know it is a very penetrable oil. It is generally regarded as safe (I found articles that said coconut oil is safe to use during pregnancy, and it is also a penetrable oil) but have not found any articles that said castor oil of any kind is safe to use topically during pregnancy. When taken internally while pregnant, castor oil is said to induce labor. If you want to be safe, don't use the castor oil while pregnant until you find out for sure if it's safe or not. Hopefully other ladies who have been preggers and have used castor oil topically can chime in.

Meanwhile, here's an article that speaks a bit about castor oil and it's properties. Maybe it can help you to make an informed decision. Also, on practically every site I went to, they say that essential oils should definitely be avoided while pregnant (at least the majority of them), so be sure to avoid those. We want that baby coming out healthy :yep:. Hope this helps, and congratulations on your pregnancy :).

Hello Growinstrong!!! Im currently pregnant and i been using castor oil with no problems or complications...however, do your research for yourself but i know me personally havent had any problems using it!! Good luck growing!!

If u dont want to use it on your scalp...im sure using it on your ends to seal will not be a problem because your body isnt absorbing it in any way...

I know i do not qualify to enter but i recently started using castor oil about a month ago and have been using it consistantly and i fell in love with it!! I will be posting pictures of my progress just for peoples interest NOT for the prize, if i can.

My most recent pic if the second one on my signature...and my regimen is:
Co washing 2-3x a week, followed with a DC
Oil my hair daily, scalp 3-4 week (with 3 min. massage)
Protective Styles: Mostly buns or ill pop on a wig!!

Products:
DCs: Silicon Mix, La Bomba, or cheap condish mixed with my homemade oils
Shampoo: Used rarely but Creme of nature moisterizing and suave daily claifying
Conditioner/Rinse: Nacidit Wheatgerm rinse, Aussie Moist (the best), HE Hello Hydration, Tresemme touchable softness, Tresemme Moisture rich or something like that, Suave coconut, Vo5 volumizing
Homemade oil consist of: Mostly castor oil, olive, almond, coconut, jojoba, peppermint, soybean and emu oils! When i have my baby in May i will be adding thyme, rosemary, and my cedarwood to my oil!!

I've just started using castor oil mixed with megatek and a little lavender oil, hopefully this growth mix will work :D

Can I just ask, would it be too much using this mix every two days? Would it be just as effective using it twice a week? I'm just wondering whether I'm using too much necessarily?

I think every 2 days will be just as effective as twice a week. This way you can stretch your growth mix.

Hi, just checking in. I applied my CO/grapeseed oil combo 2x's this week. This is a better week for me. Last week I experienced the head pain.

Let us know how that mixture works for you, I've always wanted to try grapeseed oil.

My JBCO came yesterday but today my scalp is still wet/moist from my Tuesday application of castor oil and sulfur mix so I don't think I will pop it open until tomorrow when I wash my hair

I think I had been using entirely too much castor oil; my application bottle did not have a fine point so this weekend I will switch out the applicator bottle and use the wider tipped one for something else

If you dilute your shampoo's You can use the bottle with the wider tip to apply diluted shampoo directly to youe scalp.

I've been using Haitian Casotor oil on my ends and it has been the best so far. I find that the Haitian Castor oil is the best quality out of all of them. Too bad I can't find it in the states :(

I heard this too,but I still have someone getting some for me. I also heard it smells really bad though. :sad:

My scalp has been itching as well. I have been going without heat since 9/09 and since I have been applying the jbco my scalps itches too. I read on one post somewhere around page 34 that it was speedy growth! I sure hope so....does anyone know if mixing oils will pacify the itching?! Please advise.......

Yes I've heard the JBCO or regular CO can cause itching you can mix your CO with another oil such as coconut oil and this will help with the itching.

I uploaded some pictures today of my hair growth from Sept. 09 till today. I have to say the no heat, and ps has been a God send to retaining length!!! I finally got a pic of my hair stretched in the back, OMG I cant believe its really my hair :grin:!!! I can't wait to see if how the jbco aids in adding thickness to this length. LHCF has the best advice for anyone who is a newbie at this!!!:yep:

Last edited:
Just been using my castor oil as instructed, twice a week mixed with coconut oil. I can't use it anymore than that because it makes my hair frizz up something awful, but the growth is certainly worth it :).

Sunday, did a hot oil treat w/ Castor and Cod liver oil , followed by shampoo, Aphogee for Damaged hair mixed w/ water then conditioner w/ aloe vera gel. I've also reintroduced MTG into my regimen. Nightly, I massage small drops into my scalp before bed.

Tonight's wash will consist of an hot oil treat w/ castor and cod liver oil.

@Geminigirl--I feel you with the wig thing. Goodness, I've been wigging my hair up for over a year and honestly I'm getting restless. I usually don't wear it on the weekends, strictly M-F, unless i'm going out or something. However, I got so fed up that I scheduled an appointment with a braider. I'm gonna get my hair twisted and keep those in for a few months.

Yea I had to let that thing go. My head gets a lot colder now but nah, maybe a sew in when I can get some quality hair. Anyways Yea I would go with the twists, or something like that. If it didn't take 3 days, I'd braid my hair up in something. I retained alot of growth this way. Are you natural?

Sunday, did a hot oil treat w/ Castor and Cod liver oil , followed by shampoo, Aphogee for Damaged hair mixed w/ water then conditioner w/ aloe vera gel. I've also reintroduced MTG into my regimen. Nightly, I massage small drops into my scalp before bed.

Tonight's wash will consist of an hot oil treat w/ castor and cod liver oil.

Hmm....cod liver oil...I never thought of that... what have you noticed from it? Off to look for my fish oil capsules:grin:

Been applying regularly. Mostly to the ends and spots where the shine has rubbed off. I have fine hair so I can't overdo it.

Still doing the JBCO I can feel a difference in the thickness of my hair, not mega - its only been about 1 month, but I have thin hair so will keep on going.

the oil is still running down my neck from Tuesday night; however, tonight I will try to mix my JBCO with my sulfur mix; I have determined that I am still putting entirely too much JBCO on my hair so I will try to just do my edges with my fingers and part my hair in four sections and just do the parts with the sulfur/JBCO mix

I'm mixing my jbco with sweet almond oil...but I still get the itchies, I'm gonna do a hot oil treatment with my mix tonight!

I want to mix coconut oil in mines but i hate that cocnut oil solidifies. any other suggestions? I might just have to go with the TTO, i hate the way TTO smells.

checking in.... i've been using jbco and megatek on my edges every few days and I used just jbco in my DC tonight. I usually use a mix of regular co and jbco for the rest of my hair and ends...but it sure does make my scalp itch!

I plaited my hair and put some TTO from Hollywood Beauty on and it has calmed down my scalp. I know it's going to be itching in the morning though.

Checking in. I am still using my castor oil mixture twice a week. Will wash for the second time and apply later on today.

Checking in : for the first time I feel like my hair is on it's way to being health, using this jbco has started making my hair doing thing it has not done ever, every day feels like a good hair day.

I just found my JBCO pomade!!! It's on now!!!

Zawaj what are the ingredients in the pomade? i.e. what is causing it to solidify?

My scalp has been itching like crazy. I may need to decrease my applications.

JBCO can be quite potent all on its own I would suggest mixing it up with Jojoba, Coconut, Emu and or Grapeseed Oil or any other oils for that matter. The itching will decrease quite time. If you think about it, its a potent cleanser.

Checking in:I'm really enjoying this challenge! I mean my hair was already thick to began with and feels like its getting even thicker. I've also been doing the Oil cleansing method with 75% castor oil and 25% EVOO,and I notice my eyebrows grew in thicker:yep:I'm gonna start applying the castor oil to my eyelashes as well:grin:

Back