Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Last Born

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Only Child

Votes: 14 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Onlies and Everyone Else:
Unlike the other birth-order positions, only children haven't been studied as much. Most people assume an only child will resemble a firstborn in relationships since they are, after all, first, but that doesn't take into account the fact that an only never had an advisory (or bossy!) role with younger sibs. An only with a firstborn can be a good match if the only child acts less classically "firstborn." And an only with the lastborn can present issues if the only has had little experience with the relatively immature, attention-seeking behavior of the baby of the family. Perhaps no surprise, middles and onlies make a good match, with the middle child accustomed to the needy side as well as the possibly bossy side, of his or her "only" love.

It's true. Not just with romantic relationships but with all relationships in my experience. My SO and my horrid ex-roommate are both babies, and boy oh boy, what a headache. All the whining and making excuses, manipulation, "i'm the victim" and "look at me look at me"...ugh SHUT UP :laugh:

Then I felt bad for my middle sister (also a teacher). She had to get her classroom ready without an extra help. She walked off in a huff in a middle child syndrome-type tantrum.

That sounds like my mother. She's the middle.

I never come into Rltp, but I saw this on the main page and had to come in lol. I believe in birth order dynamics for the most part. I think it can be influenced by alot of things as well, such as gender, TRUE birthorder (sometimes, a child isn't REALLY first/middle/last because the parent miscarried or had stillbirth, children by other people, etc.).

Middle children can definitely be a pain in the arse. All of the ones I have seen are so DIFFICULT omg...they feel like they are such a victim, the world is against them blah blah blah. They shoot themselves in the foot and act like they didn't know the gun was loaded lol. I can't deal. I am the firstborn...I usually get on harmoniously with firstborn and only children but we bump heads cause we have to be right. Babies I am usually ok with too, my DH is the baby, but they are very manipulative and dependent, but its not that they try to be that way its just how they have always been because it worked so well lol. I just ignore my DH and he is usually ok LOL. Babies are very loyal and tend to be very agreeable but their work ethic can be wavering. They work only as much as they feel like working unless they have some sort of special astrological aspects. And babies will do anything for you too.

I can't remember if I replied to this thread But I m a first born (my brother is several years younger than me) I m not a perfectionist ,I tend to adapt ,I m not a total alpha ,more of a balance between alpha and beta . I don't fit the profile and neither does DH .

I really do have a youngest child hangup.

I think I subconsciously seek them out so I can be mean to them. :look::ohwell::nono:

It's never intentional just I think something that comes with my personality.

Youngest believe people can't be controlled. To an extent, they are correct .I know I can't be controlled. On the flipside, I strongly believe you make anyone do anything you want them to do even when they don't want to do it. :look:

That said, there are times where I need a lot of forgiveness.I can be very definite at times. Regardless of circumstance, same reaction/behavior from me. Being definite means I can be a certified jerk. The youngest ever the hopeful idealistic optimist provides that. It's kinda like they never learn their lesson or it takes them super long to figure it out.

At the same time, as the oldest I can say hands down that while I can be very understanding and let things go, I am admittedly not forgiving. ALL DEBTS MUST BE PAID. And I have a narcissistic tendency of keeping score.:look:

The fact that the youngest is so needy and emotionally dependent---and I usually have the answers--often creates a situation neither one of us can get out of. :ohwell:

I really dislike youngest children. :look:

Last edited:
hey hey heyyyyy:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

leave us last borns aloneeee...lmaoo

i actually dont NEED help but I am just so use to it and enjoy it...im very much a leader on my own and run circles around my older siblings ( i am wayyyyy more successful in life than my middle siblings, my oldest sibling and i are on par though) but I'm not gonna turn down help..lmaooo

i just like being taken care of...:grin:

Chile...these haters! Lolol

I'm the youngest child and the youngest grandchild. And boy do I love it! I'm a leader of my own as well. But, I cant lie- sometimes a little manipulation is the name of the game. Shed a little tear and a couple of sniffs. Older children like to take care of us- or maybe they just feel obligated. But if you offer help and its FREE, I'm not about to say no. Lol Let em stay mad!

I've noticed that the youngest usually goes to the middle for assistance.

They know better to come to the first with their bs. We're just sitting, waiting to shoot down requests. 'No' is the firstborn's favorite word.

And the middle always obliges because no matter how familially-independent middles try to front to be, they desperately need that approval and recognition. :grin:

It'll be interesting to see if my baby brother ends up with a youngest. My middle brother is married to a middle and I'm an oldest marrying another oldest.

I am the baby and for some reason I am always attracted to the oldest sibling. My sister is the oldest in our family and her husband is the baby (wash belly) of his

The most annoying, self-absorbed and clueless award goes to: onlies.

Jesus. In the past week, at least 2 have plucked my last nerve. I want to say STFU, I don't care. but I can't. :look:

I gladly accept my award. *curtsies*

:lol:

Layluh

I like you. Your posts always show that you're a good sport.

*high five* @ my new black sista

highfive.gif

:lol:

here's my final complaint for the day: power.

My issue with youngest and onlies is that they don't understand it. THey don't understand when they don't have it, they don't understand how to acquire it and they never know when it's not theirs to acquire.

I think this is why youngest and onlies are the most likely to lose in a situation. Tamar Braxton is a good example. Toni got it right the first time, took Tamar 5 record deals to land a mediocre one.

just because someone is *hearing* what you are saying doesnt mean they are listening to you, doesnt mean they respect you or even like you :look:

youngest and onlies don't seem to know this. :spinning:

They also don't understand that nothing in life is for free or freely given...even by those that love you......

cant you see these invisible strings Pinnochio?

Last edited:
Y'all still in here letting her read your rights :rofl: barbiesocialite

I had a new friend tell me she was a firstborn and I immediately thought of this thread .... didn't know it was still going. :lol:

Y'all still in here letting her read your rights :rofl: @barbiesocialite

I had a new friend tell me she was a firstborn and I immediately thought of this thread .... didn't know it was still going. :lol:

This is my RT thread.

I'm annoyed.

Do you know this only child moron that's a youngest child had to nerve to try to inform me about birth order theory????

B*sh. she should know by now, everything she knows I already know. That's why I'm the big cousin. i know she doesnt want me to tell her about the divorce that will happen with her and her hubby in a few years......

here's my final complaint for the day: power.

My issue with youngest and onlies is that they don't understand it. THey don't understand when they don't have it, they don't understand how to acquire it and they never know when it's not theirs to acquire.

I think this is why youngest and onlies are the most likely to lose in a situation. Tamar Braxton is a good example. Toni got it right the first time, took Tamar 5 record deals to land a mediocre one.

just because someone is *hearing* what you are saying doesnt mean they are listening to you, doesnt mean they respect you or even like you :look:

youngest and onlies don't seem to know this. :spinning:

They also don't understand that nothing in life is for free or freely given...even by those that love you......

Are you psychic.... how'd you know I was gonna post in here? I just got double shot as a youngest and only. :lol: I agree about the power thing. The other two points I've *personally* learned awhile back ... not sure about the whole group of us.

LOL, I see now you meant someone specific. She tried it. :nono:

Well she's sending a car for me next week to come to take me to her house so she can take me out.

I'm going to go and complain complain complain.

sometimes I feel like I'm a lucky person but most times I don't :ohwell:...........

My favorite male cousin (who is 35!) is the baby
When we were at Martha's Vineyard I was the one cooking him breakfast, tending to basic needs and the ninja almost got me to press his clothes. Lawd I felt like I had a son :nono:

My favorite male cousin (who is 35!) is the baby
When we were at Martha's Vineyard I was the one cooking him breakfast, tending to basic needs and the ninja almost got me to press his clothes. Lawd I felt like I had a son :nono:

I kinda like doing stuff like this. Whenever people come to my house, I'm the consummate hostess. For males and females I cook, pick up after them, for the males I always make their plate---but I also throw temper tantrums and kick their arse out. :look: Like I'm super excited if someone buys and goes to get all the groceries. I won't volunteer but like when I'm buttered up to do things for other people. I like helping. I just dont like when I feel like I'm left empty handed---which rarely happens.

IDK in weird way it makes me feel important or useful. To me, I like that others make me the standard for what they expect from others. But as noted upthread there are string attached to things with me. If that were my ccousin, I don't thik I would have batted an eye! I would have made him go run an errand for me, buy me a pair of shoes and would have been pleased as punch to do the rest! :look:

So the new guy in my life is the baby, last of 6 siblings and he's also an alpha male. He's also 7 years older than me. Ironically he reminds me of my favorite cousin that I posted about..This is going to be interesting :lol:

So the new guy in my life is the baby, last of 6 siblings and he's also an alpha male. He's also 7 years older than me. Ironically he reminds me of my favorite cousin that I posted about..This is going to be interesting :lol:

FemmeFatale
How old are you? My new guy is 8 years old, me 34, and he is 42, and a middle child. I'm the oldest sibling. This relationship is different...but I like it

Apparently no matter what I do I will only attract babies of the family. Resigned to it.

@Mortons

We need a support group.:nono:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11964-1348848502-0.gif

Iont know if @FemmeFatale is ready. Tom Brady was hot ish alpha dawg, there's a reason why he's married to Giselle. She's the oldest or second oldest of a bunch of girls. she's even the oldest twin. #shesnothereforhisbs and crybaby temper tantrums. :lachen: She probably spends most of the day trying to avoid talking to him because all he wants is attention. lol:lachen:

Last edited:
Back