Votes: 38 59.4%
  • Always had short hair

Votes: 16 25.0%

• Total voters

Austro-Afrikana

I just wanted to do a poll of all the mixed race girls to try and show that:
1. Not all mixed race girls have long hair, effortlessly
2. Not all mixed race girls have type 3 hair

People sometimes use the term 'mixed race hair' to define type 3 hair and i always have to tell them that many mixed race girls have 'black hair' so that term is incorrect. And obviously there is an ongoing arguement over whether mixed race girls have it easier in the long hair department.
So if you could vote whether you are type 3 or 4, and if your hair has always been long or not. By that I mean APL or longer without looking after your hair, pre HHJ.
I'm mixed, european and african and have always had short hair. I'm 4a, like my mum.

Not biracial so can't comment, just curious what HHJ is. Can't wait to see results of this poll. Should be interesting.

I'm a type 3 and I didn't always have long hair.
There is no option for me so I didn't vote...had both long and short hair throughout my life :)
The first 25 years or so I had short hair.

Last edited:
I don't need a poll... logic, common sense and a very basic knowledge of genetics tells me what's true about the subject.

Guess I'll view the results anyway though, lol :)

Well
My mum was mix black from the Islands and Portuguese and he married my dad that is son of two black people from the Caribbean as well. And i've always had long hair but, then when i was relaxed become a scissors fan (was a period in high school then it grows) and even that i had to cut my hair every 20 to 30 days to keep my hair just the lenght i like it (above the chin).

My hair, people say is type 3c (i'm not really sure, i think it wil have to grow a little bit) so i think i don't help you prove your point.

IMHO....well yes I believe it is a tad bit easier for a "majority" of mixed race individuals, with "type 3 and below",to grow their hair at a much easier rate than it would be for a person with "type 4" hair strands....I understand that in order for anyone to grow hair long and healthy, it requires alot of TLC...so I am not in any way discrediting the accomplishments of the women with "type 3, 2, 1, 0"....My opinion stands because of my experience as a "type 4" hair person....this hair type tend to be tightly coiled making it harder for moisture to go from root to ends. As a result of this and lack of care/knowledge the ends are quick to dry up and break making it harder to retain any length ...Whereas individuals with type 3, 2, 1, ..these hair types tend to have a looser curl pattern which makes it easier for moisture to travel from root to ends...coupled with the appropriate care/knowledge, retaining length is much easier......Coming from someone who is also african, (Sierra Leone/Guinea), with "type 4" hair ..With the information I learned from this forum..I was able to grow my natural hair out and its almost hitting bra strap length...so I am a believer that "type 4" hair can grow, however it requires the extra TLC...

Vote whether you are type 3 or 4 then whether you always had long hair or not. If you are type 3 but always had short hair your can still vote type 3, always had short hair

Well, I can't vote. I'm no more mixed than the average Black American, but I do agree with the previous poster. Those with looser hair types tend to have an easier time retaining length than type 4s. I'm a type 3 and have never had a problem retaining length. I've had shoulder length and tailbone length hair, bangs, and hair cut to frame my face. So whether biracial or not, I think it's a little easier for those with looser hair types to retain length, but all hair grows the same. The tighter the curl the more prone to breakage, and very tightly curly hair tends to be dry which means even more breakage. It's all about retention.

The poll selections are a bit "off."

I understand one can pick multiple selections, but based on the way the poll is set up, how do I know whether a type 3 or type 4 said that they always had long hair or short hair, since all of the options are separate?

Shouldn't there be an option for, type 3-always had short hair, type 4 always had short hair, type 3 always had long hair, type 4 always had long hair? I think that would be more efficient. :)

Yes, i agree that type 3's have it easier but that's not really what the poll is about, although you could analyse that the majority of those voting with type 3 also always had long hair

I just wanted to do a poll of all the mixed race girls to try and show that:
1. Not all mixed race girls have long hair, effortlessly
2. Not all mixed race girls have type 3 hair

thanks for trying to show that!
a lot of people don't get these two points
and both apply to me...

I can't vote since I have combination hair (3c/4a) but I have always had short hair (SL and shorter) so even with the 3c parts, it didn't help to make it easier for me to grow my hair long. Most of my 3c parts are in the nape and crown area :look:

I notice people (never seen it on here) say they have biracial hair. Which is a very confusing definition because it really doesn't say which type. It could really mean any type, and who knows if they understand the whole hair typing. It also doesn't indicate the racial mixture, and the parent hair type. I guess this is where the hair type system becomes useful. OP made some good points

IMHO....well yes I believe it is a tad bit easier for a "majority" of mixed race individuals, with "type 3 and below",to grow their hair at a much easier rate than it would be for a person with "type 4" hair strands....I understand that in order for anyone to grow hair long and healthy, it requires alot of TLC...so I am not in any way discrediting the accomplishments of the women with "type 3, 2, 1, 0"....My opinion stands because of my experience as a "type 4" hair person....this hair type tend to be tightly coiled making it harder for moisture to go from root to ends. As a result of this and lack of care/knowledge the ends are quick to dry up and break making it harder to retain any length ...Whereas individuals with type 3, 2, 1, ..these hair types tend to have a looser curl pattern which makes it easier for moisture to travel from root to ends...coupled with the appropriate care/knowledge, retaining length is much easier......Coming from someone who is also african, (Sierra Leone/Guinea), with "type 4" hair ..With the information I learned from this forum..I was able to grow my natural hair out and its almost hitting bra strap length...so I am a believer that "type 4" hair can grow, however it requires the extra TLC...

You don't have to be of immediate mixed ancestry to have type 3 hair just like being of mixed ancestry doesn't automatically mean you WILL have type 3 hair...just throwin that out there :yawn:

Not sure of my hair type...it could be a mixture of 3 and 4.

Always had long hair...unless i cut it. Probably because i was so lazy with my hair and rarely did anything other than a bun/ponytail.

Last edited:
I'm not biracial but I really wanted to add that I feel you on this one Austro Afrikana and I think that people need to stop saying that there are so many people that are mixed who I nver would have known unless they told me. I always assume you are black unless confirmed otherwise and there are so much range of features and looks in Black community so why would it be any different among those of multiracial background. I really hope this thread help deconstruct some of these myths...anyways go on :)

I am not biracial, but my mom had straight hair.. I guess 2a? My hair was long when I was little, and above shoulder length once i got a hold of it as a college student and beyond.

My cousins with the same lineage pretty much kept their long hair. But they are the type who had/have weekly beauty salon appointments.

I have no idea what my hair type is. I don't remember what my natural hair is like. I'm seven months post now, but people here said I still can't tell what type hair I have now because the relaxed ends weigh down the new growth. (?shrug?)

Last edited:
so i'm mixed and i'm not hehehehe

i'm puerto rican (both parents) however my moms side are the lighter puerto ricans and my dads side are the darker puerto ricans (think sammy sosa before the bleaching. and yes i know he's dominican, but he's the 1st example i could think of lol).

so my moms side have mainly type 2 hair, except for my mom, she had 3a hair (she was the "black" girl of the fam til i showed up lol). my dads side mainly has 4b hair.

i have 3b hair, though the longer it gets, the straighter it gets :( and i always had long hair until middle school when i cut it to sl. then it grew long again fairly fast. i was a little past wl when i cut it to sl again at 16 (wasnt on purpose). then it was a little harder to grow out due to relaxers.

once i went natural i got my growth back (actually i got to retain again, it always grew). i then went from bsl to wl in around 6mos i guess.

long story short is i fit the "mixed girl" stereotype for hair, so because of that i gets no respect from local naturals. but while my hair gets long fast, it doesnt mean its healthy and that takes a lot of work for me because my hair breaks and sheds like not other. it gets dry so quickly and i can never tell if its a lack of moisture, lack of protein, or build up. its usually the last thing i try lol. so long "mixed girl" hair can, and a lot of the time is ate up! i know mine was until about a yr ago lol. its still a mess sometimes.

My mom is bi-racial and has gorgeous 4b fuzz all down her back (MBL). She didn't always have long hair, but over the years has transitioned to heat-trained natural, and her hair is the healthiest and thickest it's ever been.

My daughter is the definition of mixed-race to the nth degree.

She has type 2b hair.... BUT she has the slowest growing hair I've ever seen.

Never cut her hair since she was 1 years old.

She is 6 years old today.

Her 2 pigtails barely grazes her shoulders.

So 6 years of growth = about 12 inches.

So that is 2 inches of growth a year. for my babygirl.

It should have been down her back by now, right?

But its not.

So I don't believe the whole "mixed race/ hair type" theory...etc etc etc.

I would like to substantiate with pics, but I don't wanna my kids pics out for the world to see.

I dont know if i qualify.....my dad's mother is indian/asian, my mom's dad is half indian, my other 2 grandparents are black. Dont know if i have enough asian/indian blood to be considered mixed......anyway i'm a type 4 and my hair has never been past CBL.

I'm not biracial but I'm light skinned with "good hurr" so I still get put in that category. I'm 4a with some patches of 3c and I had long, thick hair when my mom was taking care of it and it still did pretty good when I started doing my own hair but it did the best once I found the care care boards. I've had so many bumps in my HHJ that I have no choice BUT to get to great lengths in the next couple years lol. My BC in August is the shortest my hair has ever been and even without growth aids my growth and retention are exceptional. When I try to educate the black sistas in my age group on natural hair care, they try to debunk everything I'm telling them by saying I've got good hair so that's why I can be natural...(insert eye roll here). Any person with a good amount of common sense knows that all biracial people aren't born with light skin, green eyes, and silky 3a curls that grow 2 feet in 10 minutes but because that's all that is seen in the mainstream media, that's the stereotype people believe.

Okay not mixed race or anything but I know this girl who is and has damged hair and she was all complaning and asking for advice so when i gave her some she looked at my hair and was like "I have different hair than your's it's good and more better than yours."

So I was like "How can it be all that good if it's breaking like crazy and your hairline is receding?"

But yeah having one non-black parent does not guarantee hair in the 3s most of the mixed people I know have type 3-4 hair. Only a handful I know have type 3/2

IMO the texture of the hair indirectly affects the length. My grandmother had 3c hair and she almost never got a relaxer. This seems to be pretty common. I don't know many people with type 1,2,or 3 ab hair that relax. If they do, it's definitely not as offten as someone with more coilier texture. Since people with 4bzzz hair are more likely to relax, this probably contributes to the breakage we so commonly see. This is probably why its seems that most people in that hair group have "slower growing" hair.

Back