AYURVEDA USERS - Peep this...Indian Women have a LHCF too!

You all are always dropping some knowledge on folks.

Off to stalk....er...mmm.....RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a member, too. I joined back in January. I pretty much just lurk. A lot of information is stuff I already know from here but they sure do have some great recipes.

Thanks for this! It's funny. Every time I do searches for Ayurvedic powders, this site pops up, but I didn't know it had a beauty/hair forum. Has anyone here joined?

thank you so much!!

Yoga for Hair Loss (Rubbing Finger Nails): Rubbing left and right hand nails with each other is a powerful way to cure hair fall and increase hair growth. It is extremely simple yet very effective. The nerve endings just under your fingernails are directly connected to your hair roots. By rubbing your nails together, you help boost blood circulation in your scalp.

Im going to try this!

I actually joined this site a few months back , but I haven't posted there yet. I'm sitting here reading about how someone is Knee length, trying to grow her hair to her calf.:ohwell: Meanwhile others are chiming in and they are waist length or hip length trying to keep their hair from shedding or falling as they call it. I'm not about to jump my bald head self in that conversation.:perplexed:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I actually joined this site a few months back , but I haven't posted there yet. I'm sitting here reading about how someone is Knee length, trying to grow her hair to her calf.:ohwell: Meanwhile others are chiming in and they are waist length or hip length trying to keep their hair from shedding or falling as they call it. I'm not about to jump my bald head self in that conversation.:perplexed:lachen::lachen::lachen:

They don't have to know that we have practically no hair compared to them :lachen:. I'm thinking about joining and telling them nothing about my hair or ethnicity. If they ask I'll say it's black with medium-fine strands. Hair is hair, and what's good for the goose is good for the gander, you feel me? :grin:.

Funny thing is, the only ones who have the super long hair are actually in India...the ones w/ "hair fall" are usually in America. I find this food for thought. Don't you guys?

Funny thing is, the only ones who have the super long hair are actually in India...the ones w/ "hair fall" are usually in America. I find this food for thought. Don't you guys?

Yeah I actually noticed the most of the women with the super long hair complain of it shedding or falling when they moved to America.

They don't have to know that we have practically no hair compared to them :lachen:. I'm thinking about joining and telling them nothing about my hair or ethnicity. If they ask I'll say it's black with medium-fine strands. Hair is hair, and what's good for the goose is good for the gander, you feel me? :grin:.

Lol, I feel you.

thank you so much!!

Yoga for Hair Loss (Rubbing Finger Nails): Rubbing left and right hand nails with each other is a powerful way to cure hair fall and increase hair growth. It is extremely simple yet very effective. The nerve endings just under your fingernails are directly connected to your hair roots. By rubbing your nails together, you help boost blood circulation in your scalp.

Im going to try this!

:yep: I used to do this for no apparent reason (I was jittery I guess) and one day at work my boss (who is Indian) saw me doing this. He asked me why I was doing it and I said I didn't know. He told me that in India it's a type of Indian Acupuncture that helps with hair growth/thickness and you'd see girls doing this ALL the time... you have to do it for a LONG time each day for it to be effective (I think he said like 30min? 1hr?). I should ask him what else girls do to help their hair grow. *hmm*

I grew up with many Indian girls now women. And I had a good friend who was part Liberian and part Indian and her sister had wavy waist length hair. Most of my friends and they are first generation and some were straight from India did not engage in all of the complicated regiments except from time to time or at their hair salons. They always told me they keep their hair braided or bunned up unless for special occasions, rarely use heat and are meticulous with their DC and sealing their hair with coconut oil or other. And they are gentle with their hair combing. And they rarely trim.

Best,
Almond Eyes

:yep: I used to do this for no apparent reason (I was jittery I guess) and one day at work my boss (who is Indian) saw me doing this. He asked me why I was doing it and I said I didn't know. He told me that in India it's a type of Indian Acupuncture that helps with hair growth/thickness and you'd see girls doing this ALL the time... you have to do it for a LONG time each day for it to be effective (I think he said like 30min? 1hr?). I should ask him what else girls do to help their hair grow. *hmm*

thats a very long time :look: lol but when I rub my nail beds together, my scalp like...pulsates. Weird.

I joined..but i dont understand what they're saying..LMAO:lachen:..am jus looking for recipes anyways

Be very careful w/ their recipes (unless you're talking food of course ;) ). Many of the herbs/products are hard-to-get and many of their techniques are very drying for African textures, IMHO.

Their herbal advice is not for people who don't know the herbs they're talking about. Many can jack up your hair if done wrong.

Be very careful w/ their recipes (unless you're talking food of course ;) ). Many of the herbs/products are hard-to-get and many of their techniques are very drying for African textures, IMHO.

Their herbal advice is not for people who don't know the herbs they're talking about. Many can jack up your hair if done wrong.

Oh yes i will be careful, but am really lookinginto their face care recipes and still am doing that with caution.

I didn't know that Maka was considered the king of hair growth herbs. There is a long thread over at LCH about it being the herbal equivalent to monistat. It's all starting to make sense!

^^^ Yes, bhringraj/maka (Latin Eclipta erecta) is considered a very basic herb in almost all Indian hair care.

Oh yes i will be careful, but am really lookinginto their face care recipes and still am doing that with caution.

Good...I just want people to know don't run into it headlong cuz it can seriously backfire. LOL...people here have a tendency to sometimes leap headlong. ;)

Basically some nice pure rosewater (as a toner it's wonderful), gram flour or rhassoul clay, and maybe a nice jojoba oil w/ a few drops of rose, neroli, etc...is a great facial system. Easy, tho not the cheapest, but IT WORKS! :grin:

The guy gave me his card...let me go and look. I know it's right next to a RiteAid on University Blvd. *going to get wallet.....*

The one where the guy gave me the Red Rose Water to mix with the Multani powder is called Chadni Chowk on New Hampshire Avenue. Then there is another one called Halal Meat & Grocery and they are on University Blvd. There were a few more, but don't remember the name...but they are all in the same area. I started to go to Silver Spring but I didn't feel like dealing with the traffic.

Of all the stores, they were very nice. But this one particular guy...I guess the lady who he was referring too..maybe she sent someone there before and there was a problem. I don't know, but he was relieved once I told him I came on my own and had done my homework, etc. Oh, I forgot to mention that he also gave me a bag of Aritha(?). They look like some type of walnut. He said to put them in hot water and let it sit for hours....minimum of three. Then he said rinse your hair with it. He says it strengthens it, etc. He was very nice to me.

Aritha is another word for SOAPNUTS!! I sell them on my site! Did you rinse your hair with it? If so what were your results? Let me find out that it strengthens hair...

Last edited:
Good...I just want people to know don't run into it headlong cuz it can seriously backfire. LOL...people here have a tendency to sometimes leap headlong. ;)

Basically some nice pure rosewater (as a toner it's wonderful), gram flour or rhassoul clay, and maybe a nice jojoba oil w/ a few drops of rose, neroli, etc...is a great facial system. Easy, tho not the cheapest, but IT WORKS! :grin:

This is excellent advice :yep:, I can't say enough. Don't follow the directions on the back of the boxes. Don't manipulate the hair with paste in. Be sure to do treatments on preoiled hair. Also please don't follow the advice given by clerks at the stores either.

I was just over their lurking...I mean researching :grin: and they come to our site, too, lol. There was a thread there that said "Drink your way to waistlength hair" (remember that, ladies?) and the woman said she got the information off of LHCF. Nice to know we can help one another out ;).

Another thing to keep in mind (and you'll see it all over Indus Ladies)...many Indians distrust conventional Western conditioners. If you look in Indian stores, they tend to sell almost no conditioners in the sense we use them. What's there is many times something Western like Sunsilk marketed to them, but rarely bought. For African textures, conditioners almost a must for us to have any pliability, esp after using such drying herbs as found in veda. If you try to use the herbs in masks, henna, etc and you leave off conditioners as they do...it won't be pretty.

This is a case of adapting something to fit your needs rather than taking the original fullstop.

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind (and you'll see it all over Indus Ladies)...many Indians distrust conventional Western conditioners. If you look in Indian stores, they tend to sell almost no conditioners in the sense we use them. What's there is many times something Western like Sunsilk marketed to them, but rarely bought. For African textures, conditioners almost a must for us to have any pliability, esp after using such drying herbs as found in veda. If you try to use the herbs in masks, henna, etc and you leave off conditioners as they do...it won't be pretty.

This is a case of adapting something to fit your needs rather than taking the original fullstop.

That makes sense, thanks

This is great! It's funny because I have 3-5 Indian stores right down the street from my house. I live in an area where most people are from all different parts of Asia. I knew how to use chopsticks and say "namaste" when I was 4!!!

Back