This has to be a LIE!!! What do you think?

diamondlady

I was surfing the net for hair products, information and things when I came across a web site that said that 80% of all African American women wear some kind of hair extension. I was shocked!!!

It went on to say that African American women spend more money on their hair than any other race and extensions have been prominently an African American thing but more recently spread to other races. Yet, most women turn their nose up and the mere mention of extensions.

I know a lot of African American women and most don't wear any kind of extensions, weaves or wigs.

Do you believe these statements are true?

Eighty percent is mighty high so I don't believe it. What site was this? Probably wasn't very credible.

Also I believe we (in general) spend more on our hair though because services for us are priced higher and I think we may have more of a tendency to look toward expensive "miracle" products.

Last edited:
I don't think the percentage is quite that high, but who knows? I would like to know how "they" compiled this data. I mean, how do you measure that? The margin of error for those statistics must be pretty wide.

no! so what... is that like saying for every 10 women you know 8 have a weave? i don't think so. now in some areas it may be true.

ITA w/ NOLA....in some areas that could be true but in general I don't think the percentage is that high. I wonder how they came up with that info. I think we do spend a lot on our hair though.

It's probably 80% of the people they polled.:ohwell: I think alot of people wear extensions, but not 80 % of the black population.:rolleyes:

I would probably say 50% and black women are definately not the only ones scurring for hair products, I see alot of other races with wigs weaves etc. too. I always wonder who does these statistics!!

Okay, I went back to the history from yesterday to try to find out where this site was. You know when you are surfing you end up on a lot sites and
you don't know how you got there. The thing is that this was a site to promote extensions. They were trying to get people interested in doing extensions as a business.

I didn't really notice this last night because I didn't stay on the site that long. I just remember those words and how shocked I was at the statements. After looking again, I don't think the information is reliable and it was probably self-serving information to lure people into doing extension and getting training and products from them.

http://www.worldviewdesign.com/optimalhealthweightloss/optimal2.htm

I think we may spend more money than other races if you consider our relaxers and other salon visits. But the part about extensions... nah.

BTW Diamondlady,

Did you know that we are meeting today??? :) :)

I don't find it that hard to believe. If you count phony ponytails in there as "fake hair" along with weave, braid extensions, wigs, ect... it doesn't seem that impossible.

There are 4 black women where I work. 2 have braids. I wear my instant weave. The last one has been sporting her hair short but has often worn weaves, so yeah, I believe it.
One is out on sick leave and when she comes back, may or may not have braids (She was wearing them when she got sick, then visited us this week and had them out).
Yep.
I disagree, though that extension are a "black thing". By "extensions", I include wigs, hairpieces, lace fronts, etc. All things that are "fake hair". More whites wear them and have worn them. It's just that we assume that it's their hair. I was wacthing my Season 4 Alias DVD, and only b/c I had purchased the instant weave and was now wearing it, did I recognize that Jennifer Garner was wearing one. This was in scenes where she was supposed to just be "Sidney", not one of the Aliases. I just assumed that was her hair b/c I assumed she could grow it that fast and to that thickness. Silly me!

Last edited:
diamondlady said:
Okay, I went back to the history from yesterday to try to find out where this site was. You know when you are surfing you end up on a lot sites and
you don't know how you got there. The thing is that this was a site to promote extensions. They were trying to get people interested in doing extensions as a business.

I didn't really notice this last night because I didn't stay on the site that long. I just remember those words and how shocked I was at the statements. After looking again, I don't think the information is reliable and it was probably self-serving information to lure people into doing extension and getting training and products from them.

http://www.worldviewdesign.com/optimalhealthweightloss/optimal2.htm
I wondered if they were selling extensions or promoting them. It makes sense that they "created" these statistics for themselves.:ohwell:

That has researcher's bias ALL OVER IT. They probably survey those women and asked 'If ANYTIME in your life have you ever worn a weave, extentions, fake braids" and so on. Then presented the answers differently. I don't find it hard to believe that 8 out of 10 women wore weave SOMETIME in their lifetime, in the form of braids phony ponies or whatever.

I agree with mizanimami...I think that 80% of african american women may have worn weave sometime in their life...but that does not have to be on a consistent basis. It could have been maybe only once or twice. If they got the information form a survey, their question was probably along the lines of "Have you ever worn any type of hair weave/extension?"

In my experience, many many white salons charge more for services (like color & cut) than black salons. But black women I believe go to the salon far more often and use and purchase many more hair products that white women. So those statistics I think are accurate. Black hair care is a massive business.

As for the extensions, I don't think that is true at all. NONE of my friends wear extensions.

MizaniMami said:
That has researcher's bias ALL OVER IT. They probably survey those women and asked 'If ANYTIME in your life have you ever worn a weave, extentions, fake braids" and so on. Then presented the answers differently. I don't find it hard to believe that 8 out of 10 women wore weave SOMETIME in their lifetime, in the form of braids phony ponies or whatever.

good point!

diamondlady said:
I was surfing the net for hair products, information and things when I came across a web site that said that 80% of all African American women wear some kind of hair extension. I was shocked!!!

It went on to say that African American women spend more money on their hair than any other race and extensions have been prominently an African American thing but more recently spread to other races. Yet, most women turn their nose up and the mere mention of extensions.

I know a lot of African American women and most don't wear any kind of extensions, weaves or wigs.

Not amongt my friends and family, a couple do periodically most don't.

vevster said:
Not amongt my friends and family, a couple do periodically most don't.

same here.

Also, I started a new job 2 weeks ago and there are a dozen or so black women there in different departments.

I haven't seen any weaves, braids or other extensions at all. As a matter of fact, most have pretty healthy hair from chin length to mid back length.

I was impressed to see that.

MizaniMami said:

ITA
I wore braids once in HS. So in my entire life I've had extensions for about 3 months. There are probably tons of ladies that have worn some type of hair additions for short periods of time. Thats very different from giving the impression that at any period of time 80% of us are wearing weave or that most black women wear fake hair most of the time.
Of my family members, friends, classmates, etc, I can only think of one girl wearing weave (or anything other type of addition) right now.

MOST of the women I see have hair extentions, I see very very few women with their real hair. I believe this to be true. But people should do what makes them feel better, if wearing weave does it, fine. Most of the women I see with weave look very nice.:)

camellia said:
I don't find it that hard to believe. If you count phony ponytails in there as "fake hair" along with weave, braid extensions, wigs, ect... it doesn't seem that impossible.

IA.
It may not be 80% of AA women, but more like 50% of AA women wear weaves/extensions of some kind.

I think 80% is very high and probably untrue.

However, I would definitely believe that 50-60% of AA wear some kind of fake hair on a regular basis. Especially younger women.

Last edited:
diamondlady said:

I believe this is true, but like someone else said, it was probably 80 % of the women they polled. Also, when they say extensions, that includes braid extensions also....

Back