At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial)

What do you consider too long for you personally?

• Bra Strap Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Mid Back

Votes: 53 4.1%
  • Waist Length

Votes: 252 19.5%
  • Tail bone Length

Votes: 427 33.0%
  • Classic Length

Votes: 210 16.2%
  • Mid-thigh Length

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • Knee-Length

Votes: 52 4.0%
  • calf Length

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • ankle Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Floor Length

Votes: 69 5.3%

• Total voters
Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

I thought I only wanted MB but I'm here and now say Tailbone. I believe anything else is too much, and I'll see when I get there as I'm only 5'5. Maybe just maybe waist with me. I don't want my hair to overpower me.

Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

I wanted classic length curly, but now I think I want classic length stretched. I'm not sure... I want to be at least hip length, curly. I think other women can get away with longer hair.

I LOVE ultra-long hair. I think it looks bad on some women if they don't take care of it or just let it hang without doing anything with it.. I can't wait until I get back to hip length, and once I get beyond that... :lick: I can't even stop thinking of the long braids, how nice and long my rollersets will look, the length of my braidouts and wash-and-gos...

I'll try not to think of the wash process, though :spinning:

Whenever it becomes a problem for me, then that will be too long. The longest I have been is bra strap length and it was cool. No real issues except the fact that I really didn't know how to take care of it. I feel weird commenting on this because mine is so short now, but I guess I will just let it grow and see what happens. On other people, I figure, whatever length works for them is cool with me.

tailbone length hair is ridiculous looking. it's obnoxious in that you KNOW that that person is spending a great deal of their day caring for the hair, and also that by the time hair gets to be that length it looks soo raggedy.

tailbone length hair is great for little girls who want to be fairy princesses, but it's not practical and is rarely attractive/healthy looking.

This is just my opinion. MBL is the perfect length to maintain optimum health and length without looking tore up.

If you have to gather your hair together so you can sit on the toilet, FOR ME, it's TOO LONG!

tailbone length hair is ridiculous looking. it's obnoxious in that you KNOW that that person is spending a great deal of their day caring for the hair, and also that by the time hair gets to be that length it looks soo raggedy.

tailbone length hair is great for little girls who want to be fairy princesses, but it's not practical and is rarely attractive/healthy looking.

This is just my opinion. MBL is the perfect length to maintain optimum health and length without looking tore up.

Hey :whip:

Just kidding! I have tailbone length hair, but since it's so curly it falls at around waist length depending on the day... :)

My ends are not raggedy and I don't spend more than 5 minutes a day on my hair - that's all the time it takes to gather my hair into a ponytail or make a long plait. Washing and detangling once a week takes around 40 minutes.

Super long hair is not for everyone, but try it, you might like it :D

I'm going for Classic Length hair and that's where I'll stop. (I think. :look: )

Kneelength is a tad bit too long, but I've seen pretty kneelength hair too LOL.

The link of her picture isn't working for me.
Does anyone have pictures of her and her hair?

Here you go Ella:

2264697909_a71e7980fd.jpg

1.) Sylvia Ziegler, from Munich, has 1.4 meter
long hair. Her little daughter Franziska
admires the splendour of the hair.

2265488980_f690de5826.jpg

2.) Hairy: Belly dancer Sylvia Ziegler's (27 y.o.) hair is 1.52 (~60 inches) meters long. Sylvia is 1.62m tall (~ 5'4), daughter of a Mexican mother and a German father, and performs in cabarets and oriental clubs.
For daughter Franziska (4), her mom's mane is a fluffy hiding place.

2265488992_1b520c2088.jpg
2265489022_847816e652.jpg

She has several shorter pieces framing her face - if she could make a bun (imagine how HEAVY, though!) those little tendrils would be just adorable.

2265489034_0484891ff9.jpg

A headband, pushing it all back, maybe?

2265489040_cde1448410.jpg

Her hair is almost perfectly knee length....

Sylvia Ziegler continued......

2264697979_d8d572c3f3.jpg

I think that the short bangs show just how curly her hair
is - and look at her little girls hair!

2265489054_a403e49831.jpg

A back view - a bit much, for even me, but I
think it's more the style, rather than the hair.

Comments are from flickr, and I think the person who posted it is a member here..................

I mean as long as it isn't looking like a hot mess, then any length can be pulled off. But I voted for floor length because if it's dragging on the floor, then that's going to be a problem obviously.

Is this a Black woman? She kinda looks Black to me. Her hair is actually gorgeous. A lot of people I see with long hair (not in this forum, of course) have really thin, scraggly hair. Hers looks thick and healthy.

2264697979_d8d572c3f3.jpg

I think that the short bangs show just how curly her hair
is - and look at her little girls hair!

Comments are from flickr, and I think the person who posted it is a member here..................

OK this picture right here :lachen:
that's where I draw the line :lol: :grin: :rofl:
A walking hair...

A walking hair...

Yeah she does look like cousin it, because she's so small and her hair is so thick, and she looks pretty short in the pick......but her hair looks ok though.....i mean I wouldn't want all that hair......I would hate summer time though!!!!!!

Lately I've seen women IRL with beautiful TBL hair that was either wavy or curly. I'm good at WL for me (sometimes I hesitate between MBL and WL to tell the truth) but I had to admit their hair was lovely and it complimented them. They looked beautiful.

I believe for me anything beyond MBL is not flattering. I don't want my hair making me appear shorter than what I am.

It is also a chore for me to maintain longer than MBL hair.

Last edited:

Tailbone is what I picked according to my lifestyle and my "hair personality". It would probably be more work in the end with too much hair for me...but that's me. I just wanted to give my personal thoughts on my own desired length. I've seen women who look gorgeous with longer and shorter hair...

Anything longer than BSL...please don't kill me! But this is a personal preference due to my laziness. I cannot imagine handling anything longer.

A walking hair...

:lachen: :lachen:
Flowerhair you are so bad. Ok she does look like a walking mop but it's so healthy and pretty.

Is this a Black woman? She kinda looks Black to me. Her hair is actually gorgeous. A lot of people I see with long hair (not in this forum, of course) have really thin, scraggly hair. Hers looks thick and healthy.

Yes she mixed with black.

For me, mid back length is the longest I would go. Anything longer than that just seems to hang there & I haven't seen anyone with hair longer than mid back rockin really cute styles.

Too long is when you can't take care of it or a ford to take care of it, keep it up in a bun all the tme. Can you see how much time and money it would take after mid back....

I voted MBL. Nice loose curls would be comfortably BSL and that's what I would like to achieve. Anything more for me is personal vanity and I can't go there.

In general, longer than TBL in not attractive to me.

ETA: This is a personal decision for everyone. Grow to your heart's content, is my take on it.

Personally speaking, I can see myself wearing a MBL twistout, which means my length needs to be about hiplength....so that's my max.

Waist length would be amazing for the sheer length of it, but I think BSL maximum would be more flattering on me, especially at my age. :)

I voted Classic Length. That would be far too long if my hair were straight, but on me, that would probably shrink up to APL. :ohwell:

A walking hair...

:lachen:You are so wrong for that. . .

But she seriously does look like nothing but hair with a pair of legs.:rolleyes:

This is why I'm stopping at classic, maybe mid thigh at most.:yep:

It's funny, cause I would usually say past hipbone is really getting excessive, but India Arie in her video "The Truth" looks so beautiful with those (fake) dreds down to her knees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzMrcHYziI4) @ 2:23. Such a gracefully natural look. Guess it depends on the person.

Wow. She does look very nice there.

well to each his own. I don't want hair longer than waist length, even though I think MBL is probably the longest that would be flattering on me. I have had Tail bone weaves and braids and they didn't suit me.

But I just wish I had the option to choose what length to have my hair, at least that is why I am here

waist hair length is too much hair for me to cope with..ill be content with midback length in which i only need 10 more inches to achieve....:yawn:

waistlength and beyond is not flattering to me anymore.

Back