At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial)

What do you consider too long for you personally?

• Bra Strap Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Mid Back

Votes: 53 4.1%
  • Waist Length

Votes: 252 19.5%
  • Tail bone Length

Votes: 427 33.0%
  • Classic Length

Votes: 210 16.2%
  • Mid-thigh Length

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • Knee-Length

Votes: 52 4.0%
  • calf Length

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • ankle Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Floor Length

Votes: 69 5.3%

• Total voters
Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

Anything past the hip is a little to much for me. But I guess it all depends on who is rocking the length, because I know a female who's hair is to her butt and she looks good with it.

Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

Beyond hip length. I really dont like the tailbone idea, dont like the idea of sitting on my hair.

With my shrinkage - I dont think I will ever have issues with this. As I think WL on me will be like APL, so dont think I can ever have tail bone natural hair, cos thats like floor length on me.

Everytime I get back to waistlength, I'm not going to lie, I cut it back up to bsl... or even apl.

It ends up being so long and thick that I can't take it... I think after all of my children reach a certain age, and I'm not so busy building my business that I'll have more time to care for waistlength although that's my goal by the end of this year, I'll probably just maintain mbl for awhile before I bring it back up to bsl, I dunno...

but wsl only because of time and matinenence for now is too long for me.

Anything past waist length kinda creeps me out. :lol:

I think anything past hip length wouldn't be flattering on my body type. I'm aiming for a length just past my waist (maybe an inch or two longer) before I stop growing it out.

*I know I responded to this thread sometime before this, but as my own hair grows out I've taken the question more seriously.*

I'm personally shooting for waist length. I'd be more than satisfied with that length.

I think what ever you are most comfortable with as a person, however, for me I have a professional job and anything longer than waist length would be in the way. I want my hair mid back length and healthy. That way I can wear a variety of styles. To each his own, but when your hair starts getting caught in doors and other people have to comb it for you, you might want to get the clippers.

I think for me past tailbone would be too long and unflattering, i have enough maintaining my bsl length hair :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I'm not sure...but I can't wait to suffer from this dilemma!!!

:lachen:I completely agree, i want to be hip length but honestly being a 4b natural i'll probally change my mind once i get waistlength and say "this is it for me" :yep:

Beyond hip length. I really dont like the tailbone idea, dont like the idea of sitting on my hair.

With my shrinkage - I dont think I will ever have issues with this. As I think WL on me will be like APL, so dont think I can ever have tail bone natural hair, cos thats like floor length on me.

I agree my shrinkage will always make my hair look alot shorter, so when im at my goal of hip length, i will look waist length.:rolleyes:

I voted waste length. At some point its just like ok...what are you going to do with that hair. But everyone has their own opinion. As long as your hair is healthy...that is the main concern.

Anything past waist length kinda creeps me out. :lol:
Me too! :lachen:

Also, as I continue to grow and retain my length, I will never reach full BSL or full WL or anything, because I think I (and most women, in my eyes) look better with layered hair. I think layers are sexy and chic, whereas super-long, blunt hair usually makes me think "dowdy." Hope I don't offend anyone by saying that--I have seen several women on LHCF with very pretty blunt-cut ends at shorter lengths.

I said mid-thigh even though my sister had calf length dreads ( she cut them off due to the causing a curve in her spine)

waist length. anything past that is creepy. it reminds me of the old pictures they show of people in horror flicks.

I vote waist length- ITA that it starts getting creepy after this length! :nono:

I voted MBL. Nice loose curls would be comfortably BSL and that's what I would like to achieve. Anything more for me is personal vanity and I can't go there.

In general, longer than TBL in not attractive to me.

ETA: This is a personal decision for everyone. Grow to your heart's content, is my take on it.

I agree with the TBL, it kinda looks hmmm and distracts everyone from the person's beautiful features or body.

It really depends on the person's texture, hair health, personality and maintenance of it. I love flowergirl's, poka's and starr's hair- wavy, curly long hair. There is a woman on NC.Com named Caleilani who has tailbone length hair - she's on subbrock's blog -http://subbrock.blogspot.com/2009/05/ronis-hair-story.html . She said it's about waistlength with shrinkage.

I just want to see how long I can go. I wear my hair up anyhow so it won't be so difficult for me to not wear it out. I would love massive buns and big hair updos. Of course, the key is keeping it shaped and healthy.

Last edited:

oh plz, if it's long we like it. Aren't we a prime example?

I love layers too, and I agree they are sexy. I plan to let my hair grow and grow until it won't grow anymore, but I will definitely try to layer it.

Me too! :lachen:

Also, as I continue to grow and retain my length, I will never reach full BSL or full WL or anything, because I think I (and most women, in my eyes) look better with layered hair. I think layers are sexy and chic, whereas super-long, blunt hair usually makes me think "dowdy." Hope I don't offend anyone by saying that--I have seen several women on LHCF with very pretty blunt-cut ends at shorter lengths.

waist length. anything past that is creepy. it reminds me of the old pictures they show of people in horror flicks.

:lachen::lachen: Too funny!

For me, I think waist length would be just fine.
I have major shrinkage anyway, so wasit-length for me, would
probably look like arm pit length when I wore my hair out. :rolleyes:

I've been told to stop growing my hair b/c I'm begining to look like [and I provided the amunition here] cousin 'it.' I kinda see what folks are saying though....but my out styles are still shoulder length so.....I'm very much on the petite side at 5 inches....

Let me give you ladies a guys prospective on this subject. I personally love long hair, no matter what the length. Now if you have crazy long crystal gale hair, then I think you might need to have the body along with it to rock it. :) just my two cents. Men arent very picky on looks believe it or not. We dont require our women to look like fashion models. Some men are shallow and insecure with themselves so they require a vogue model as a girlfriend, but those of us who are secure with ourselves look beyond boob size, hair length, and bootyliciousness. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Let me give you ladies a guys prospective on this subject. I personally love long hair, no matter what the length. Now if you have crazy long crystal gale hair, then I think you might need to have the body along with it to rock it. :) just my two cents. Men arent very picky on looks believe it or not. We dont require our women to look like fashion models. Some men are shallow and insecure with themselves so they require a vogue model as a girlfriend, but those of us who are secure with ourselves look beyond boob size, hair length, and bootyliciousness. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Tks for providing a male perspective!
But if you say a secure man looks beyond boob size, hair length etc. than why would you then say that she should have the body to rock it IF she has the crystal gale hair. Do you in fact have some reservation about the length of a woman's hair afterall?

I never thought of it that way, ok maybe i put my foot in my mouth a little bit there, but yea crystal gale length hair is a little too long unless you're uber sexy. That's just my opinion though. Other than that i find most women attractive.

in other words I think we all have a view point on what is sexy and what isn't sexy. but those who dwell on it to the point of shallowness are the men who are insecure.

OK.
Then we're getting in to the 'what's uber sexy' realm which brings us right back to the "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" statement you made.

PS- Thanks for the added clarification.....

Last edited:

I never thought of it that way, ok maybe i put my foot in my mouth a little bit there, but yea crystal gale length hair is a little too long unless you're uber sexy. That's just my opinion though. Other than that i find most women attractive.

in other words I think we all have a view point on what is sexy and what isn't sexy. but those who dwell on it to the point of shallowness are the men who are insecure.

You're stimulating me a bit too much here...

How do we determine the degree to which someone is 'dwelling'? How do we get from there to 'shallow? Whose rule book are we going by?
There are women here who are very interested in the maintenance of their hair. To some it's 'dwelling' which might be considered shallow and display signs of insecurity? IMO, determining who is insecure is not that simple (but then again, I'm assuming this is a casual discussion, no need for the psych books right?)....especially on a site focusing on the physical aspect of hair care :grin:

I'd be elated with WSL, I think tailbone length is pushing it. Anything longer is kinda gross, imo.

Any hair length that takes me over an hours to style. Which for me would be maybe waist or tailbone.

Back