At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial)

What do you consider too long for you personally?

• Bra Strap Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Mid Back

Votes: 53 4.1%
  • Waist Length

Votes: 252 19.5%
  • Tail bone Length

Votes: 427 33.0%
  • Classic Length

Votes: 210 16.2%
  • Mid-thigh Length

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • Knee-Length

Votes: 52 4.0%
  • calf Length

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • ankle Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Floor Length

Votes: 69 5.3%

• Total voters
Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

Fairy-tale & dirty looking...

Happy Hair Growing!

:bump:

:bouncy:

Interested in seeing if people have changed their minds on this. I think anything past classic is too much for me personally.

Last edited:
Tailbone on black women is the longest length that's still flattering. Tailbone can look cat lady ish on other races though.

Last edited:
I still call tailbone as going too far. The thought of the ends of my hair dipping in the toilet gives me a panic attack.

I think you'd have to be passed tailbone heading to classic length hair for that to happen.

hair-length-chart-th2.gif

Mid thigh straight is too much. Classic length is my limit and I probably wouldn't wear my hair pin straight at that length, it would be too overwhelming. Wearing my TBL hair straight this winter had me sweating, irritable and led to a random cut back to Hip length :lachen: I just want WSL curly!

Funny you bumped this @Lucia, I was just watching this video today and cringing at her walking through the mall with it dragging. Her hair looks very pretty braided though! I like the thickness..just not all down.

Mid thigh straight is too much. Classic length is my limit and I probably wouldn't wear my hair pin straight at that length, it would be too overwhelming. Wearing my TBL hair straight this winter had me sweating, irritable and led to a random cut back to Hip length :lachen: I just want WSL curly!

Funny you bumped this @Lucia, I was just watching this video today and cringing at her walking through the mall with it dragging. Her hair looks very pretty braided though! I like the thickness..just not all down.

Yeah even though I love long healthy hair that's just way too long for me, hair dragging on the floor, I'm not the one. :nono:
I agree with you midback-WL curly hair is beautiful.

My thoughts on this has changed since going natural. If you wear your hair straight I think hip length is the longest I would find attractive but as a natural I'm going for tailbone stretched because that would reach my perfect curly length of between apl and bra strap.

I think anything past classic length stretched is too much. My goal is to grow my hair to tailbone length so my hair will be waist length while curly.

My hair is TBL straightened, but when I wear it natural it's only BSL/MBL depending on the style. Or I can roller set and it will look MBL/WL. I rarely just wear it down and straight. So I could probably go longer and still be ok. I'm satisfied with this length though.

This. But the length I find unattractive is thigh length.

For myself, so long as my dry, styled hair is above my waist, I can deal. I dont plan on straightening ever, so Im not worried about stretched length.

My thoughts on this has changed since going natural. If you wear your hair straight I think hip length is the longest I would find attractive but as a natural I'm going for tailbone stretched because that would reach my perfect curly length of between apl and bra strap.

I think it really depends on how much shrinkage you have and if your hair gets weighed down with length or not. Even similar curl types don't have the same hang time. I've seen women with shoulder-APL thick curly hair and it's TBL stretched.

Just for an example look at her hair when she lets her curls dry normally vs elongates her curls big difference.

Somewhere mid video she stretches her hair to show its true length.

I'd love my curly hair to hit somewhere between BSL and Midback. I don't care how long it has to be when straightened to do that. Lol. I'll take Ring (hide my face and crawl out of the Tv) length if thats what it takes.

I do have friends who believe women over 40 shouldn't have hair longer than APL because it "ages" you.....i don't think that rule applies to black women. I've seen long hair age some WW though, but its usually those old little house on a praire/cult like women, not kept white women.

I'd love my curly hair to hit somewhere between BSL and Midback. I don't care how long it has to be when straightened to do that. Lol. I'll take Ring (hide my face and crawl out of the Tv) length if thats what it takes.

I do have friends who believe women over 40 shouldn't have hair longer than APL because it "ages" you.....i don't think that rule applies to black women. I've seen long hair age some WW though, but its usually those old little house on a praire/cult like women, not kept white women.

Here's where that idea really came from, if you've been abusing bleaching, heat styling shampooing your hair with sulfate shampoos for 20-30 years without any healthy hair care or deep conditioning or any care at all by the time your 40 or 50 your hair will look a wreck. So cut it short to get rid of the damage because damaged hair ages you as well.

It's not like a woman can't grow her hair back out at any age if she's relatively healthy and puts in the work and wants to. I think there's some laziness to it too. Notice some people cut their hair as soon as they have 1 baby claiming they don't have time to take care of it. I don't mean to make jokes but really, 1 kid?
Now if you take care of your hair for any extended amount of time, there's really no good reason to cut healthy long hair on the basis of age, unless you want to do it, not cause people tell you too.

Besides some women look good with short hair and some don't and that has nothing to do with age. I could name names but that's a little rough, just look at some pics short hair ain't for everyone, and in Europe and India older and old women routinely leave their hair long and wear beautiful ponytails and updos and they look great.
So it shouldn't be short hair at a certain age that's ridiculous, do you boo! And if that means you're 75 with WL gray hair in a braid running after grandkids then so be it.

Last edited:
Here's where that idea really came from, if you've been abusing bleaching, heat styling shampooing your hair with sulfate for 20-30 years without any healthy hair are or deep consditioning or any care at all by the time your 40 or 50 your hair will look a wreck. So cut it short to get rid of the damage because damaged hair ages you as well.

It's not like a woman can't grow her hair back out at any age if she's relatively healthy and puts in the work and wants to. I think there's some laziness to it too. Notice some people cut their hair as soon as they have 1 baby claiming they don't have time to take care of it. I don't mean to make jokes but really, 1 kid?
Now if you take care of your hair for any extended amount of time, there's really no good reason to cut healthy long hair on the basis of age, unless you want to do it, not cause people tell you too.

Besides some women look good with short hair and some don't and that has nothing to do with age. I could name names but that's a little rough, just look at some pics short hair ain't for everyone, and in Europe and India older and old women routinely leave their hair long and wear beautiful ponytails and updos and they look great.
So it shouldn't be short hair at a certain age that's ridiculous, do you boo! And if that means you're 75 with WL gray hair in a braid running after grandkids then so be it.
I totally agree. My mom is 60 with the longest hair she's had since she was a child. Her hair is brushing wl with no effort. She just decided to stop cutting it and honestly she looks younger with it imo.

The longer hair just suits her. As many times as she tells me she's gonna cut it because it's too long is as many times as I'll talk her out of it.

I also had a friend who's 98 yr old grandma had the longest most beautiful natural hair that she kept in a long braid that she wrapped around itself into a bun. She did not look any older. As a matter of fact she didn't look 98 at all. More like in her early 80's even though her hair was totally grey.

It's all about how you take care of yourself and hair. If you look put together sometimes long hair actually takes off yrs not adds to them.

The bolded reminded me of the lovely Ernestine Shepherd. She'll turn 81 this year.
Ernestine-Shepherd1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's where that idea really came from, if you've been abusing bleaching, heat styling shampooing your hair with sulfate shampoos for 20-30 years without any healthy hair care or deep conditioning or any care at all by the time your 40 or 50 your hair will look a wreck. So cut it short to get rid of the damage because damaged hair ages you as well.

People would be better off just doing them and stop projecting their insecurities onto others.

I remember reading an interview with one of Lena Horne's granddaughters where she said women over 27 or 28 shouldn't wear above-the-knee skirts, dresses or shorts. I thought she sounded utterly ridiculous and clearly wasn't comfortable with her own legs.

I totally agree. My mom is 60 with the longest hair she's had since she was a child. Her hair is brushing wl with no effort. She just decided to stop cutting it and honestly she looks younger with it imo.

The longer hair just suits her. As many times as she tells me she's gonna cut it because it's too long is as many times as I'll talk her out of it.

I also had a friend who's 98 yr old grandma had the longest most beautiful natural hair that she kept in a long braid that she wrapped around itself into a bun. She did not look any older. As a matter of fact she didn't look 98 at all. More like in her early 80's even though her hair was totally grey.

It's all about how you take care of yourself and hair. If you look put together sometimes long hair actually takes off yrs not adds to them.

People would be better off just doing them and stop projecting their insecurities onto others.

I remember reading an interview with one of Lena Horne's granddaughters where she said women over 27 or 28 shouldn't wear above-the-knee skirts, dresses or shorts. I thought she sounded utterly ridiculous and clearly wasn't comfortable with her own legs.

Have you seen Lena Horne in her hey day, even way after I'd be insecure if my legs weren't on point too. Seriously you're so right people can't do something or dont have the face or body or courage to wear what others can and they start limiting people for no good reason, i.e. like the skirt actually being too, short and showing what it shouldn't.

I mean Tina Turner built a career on not listening to what people thought women her age should be doing or wearing, and she never took it to hoeville.

I've seen Lena from back in the day but never noticed her legs. I searched Google and none of the images really show her legs unlike Dorothy Dandridge, who had nice gams.

And that's why I will forever love Tina. Even as a little girl, she was #goals and reminded me that you can look good at any age you want. It's very true. It's up to you. This is why I love Ernestine too!

Have you seen Lena Horne in her hey day, even way after I'd be insecure if my legs weren't on point too. Seriously you're so right people can't do something or dont have the face or body or courage to wear what others can and they start limiting people for no good reason, i.e. like the skirt actually being too, short and showing what it shouldn't.

I mean Tina Turner built a career on not listening to what people thought women her age should be doing or wearing, and she never took it to hoeville.

Back