APL by Dec 2010!!!

Start of the journey, Dec 09:

1001307r.jpg

Today:
5may011weekpost.jpg

It took me 3 months to get my regimen right, but I'm finally seeing progress!
:dance7: <--me after seeing the difference!

When I started wrapping my hair this evening, I thought there was a long piece of black string on my clothes. Turned out that it was the small (20 strand!) section of my hair that grows the fastest, and it was less than an inch away from APL!! :yay:

Changes I've made: Added S-Curl to my regimen and it is DELISH! :lick: I could've retained SO much more had I known about it from the beginning!

CONGRATULATIONS! great progress! great inspiration!
keep up the good work!

how do you usually style your hair?
thanks for the post!

I would usually bun my hair, but in the beginning my hair wasn't moisturized enough and my hair would break off at the scrunchie. :perplexed Not the best way to start off a journey! So I alternated between that and using hair claws. Until I relaxed, my hair was always a hot mess for the last 4 months because of all the new growth. :nono:

I had my hair cornrowed for a few weeks and found that to be the best method for less breakage and keeping that new growth under control. I didn't use hair extensions because I was afraid it would cut into the hair. I'm going to do a 4-5 month stretch (7 was way too long) and I'll definitely braid it up again in the last 2 months of it.

I flat ironed my hair maybe once a month for important purposes (job interview, fancy event). I had to hide my flat iron to keep myself from breaking it out every day!

I would usually bun my hair, but in the beginning my hair wasn't moisturized enough and my hair would break off at the scrunchie. :perplexed Not the best way to start off a journey! So I alternated between that and using hair claws. Until I relaxed, my hair was always a hot mess for the last 4 months because of all the new growth. :nono:

I had my hair cornrowed for a few weeks and found that to be the best method for less breakage and keeping that new growth under control. I didn't use hair extensions because I was afraid it would cut into the hair. I'm going to do a 4-5 month stretch (7 was way too long) and I'll definitely braid it up again in the last 2 months of it.

I flat ironed my hair maybe once a month for important purposes (job interview, fancy event). I had to hide my flat iron to keep myself from breaking it out every day!

thanks, Evo-ny! that's a great styling reggie you've got there!
for us APL'ers, i think that finding the right way to wear it while retaining the length is also fundamental to getting there.

to the part in BOLD, i totally agree with you! i just took my flat iron out, wrapped it up, and put it up in the attic!:yep:
i'm about to perm after a 4 month plus stretch and i already want to avoid the temptation to flatten out that permed hair even more!:nono:

I hope it isn't too late to join.
My hair is currently in braids so I have no hair length pic.

What are you doing for growth
Stretching my relaxer by braiding and weaving. 26 weeks post relaxer.
Washing and Deep Conditioning braids every two weeks.
Use S Curl to moisturize.
Sleep with satin scarf.
Slight trimming between hairdos.

What are you not going to do

Be impatient.

What length are you now?
Shoulder length.

I know it has been a minute since I've updated...I'm still protective styling it with my sew in ---this weekend my install will come down for a DC treatment and I will wear my own hair in twist...maybe about 2 weeks then get some braids! I really want to HIT APL BY DEC!!!! Wooooooooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it isn't too late to join.
My hair is currently in braids so I have no hair length pic.

Stretching my relaxer by braiding and weaving. 26 weeks post relaxer.
Washing and Deep Conditioning braids every two weeks.
Use S Curl to moisturize.
Sleep with satin scarf.
Slight trimming between hairdos.

What are you not going to do

Be impatient.

What length are you now?
Shoulder length.

Welcome!!! I'm stretching to 26 weeks too...I'm at week 20 right now and wearing cornrows. HHG!

Just checking in ladies. Looks like a lot of us have already made our APL goal early. Congrats!!!

I'm heading into week 3 in cornrows. I spray them everyother day with a mix of braid spray and Infusium 23. I waned them yesterday in the shower, but I spot wash with ORS Herbal Cleanse throughout the week.

I'm 20 weeks post relaxer, so 6 more weeks to go. I plan to get these cornrows redone one more time next week for three weeks. Then I'll wear my hair out for two weeks in preparation for relaxer day. I can't wait!! Though I love the ease and the look of cornrows, I really miss my hair!!! HHG everyone!

@ Miss AJ

Your twists only last for 4 days? I don't know about you, but for all the effort I put into the dang things (~8 hrs.), they'd better sit well for at least two weeks! I could pull them off for a month, retwisting a few here and there when needed, though I think my hair was sometimes damp when I did them (don't know of moisture makes a difference).

Even with the care I'm giving my hair now (castor oil to scalp and/or ends, weekly DC), I really don't think I can break the SL threshold. There's an invisible barrier that when my hair touches it, it shrivels the hair away :(

:yep::spinning:I'm soooooo very happy to say I have offically made APL. :drunk::grin:

I've been on my HHG journey since December 2007 at neck length, and it has not always been pleasent....but it was very much so worth it. I would have been many many months ago if it wasn't for me allowing people to cut/trim my hair (plus I'm 5'10). I have finally learned my lesson on that on. In this pic I'm 7 weeks post.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 55
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 65
:yep::spinning:I'm soooooo very happy to say I have offically made APL. :drunk::grin:

I've been on my HHG journey since December 2007 at neck length, and it has not always been pleasent....but it was very much so worth it. I would have been many many months ago if it wasn't for me allowing people to cut/trim my hair (plus I'm 5'10). I have finally learned my lesson on that on. In this pic I'm 7 weeks post.

Congratulations!!! Your hair is so nice and full!

Can I sneak in and join ladies as at last after lurking :sekret:for a while think I've got the hang of all this in my head. Now I have to put it in to practice. I have very very one more very thick 4 hair type. Always get compliments whatever state it’s in natural or relaxed .But when ever I go to hairdressers they always noted how dry it is and gave me a protein conditioner and my hair is still ultra dry. :nono: And although I know it can grow I have grown out all my past relax and I am now Relaxer free it never really got pass CL and if I made it to SL after a while I couldn’t retain the growth and my hair would break. Sooooo I'm now thinking maybe I need a moisturizing conditioner instead. So going on from there I'm trying to aim for APL by at least the end of the year.

What are you doing for growth?
Alternating between Twists and Cornrow with a pony – Weave and wigs come Fall/Winter
Keeping my hair and ends moisturised :grin:
Low Manipulation

What are you not going to do?
Use a lot of direct heat
Slack with my regime

What length are you now?
NL front SL back

See you on the other side

^^Welcome Mazza64!! Funny how a stylist applied a protein cnditioner because your hair was dry!! Protein helps stop breakage by making the hair stronger, but it also makes the hair hard(purposely). So...why didn't they follow up with a moisturizing condish or leave-in for you? Lol! Glad you are taking care of your own hair now. You'll be APL in no time following the advice on LHCF.

I am still protective styling. I have been wearing a bun for the past four months....but twist my hair yesterday to switch it up a bit. I am loving it for a change.....and it seems that others do to.

Last edited:
I give myself til august to be there as ST and hopefully reach bsl by dec which is a stretch I know, but still gonna at least hope

hi ladies! just passing to say hi and that im still here :-)

sometimes im just discouraged , feeling that its not growing fast enough... but at the same time there is some growth....so its a weard feeling....

im gonna braid my hair next week (alone for the first time) dont know what thats gonna be. !!

You ladies are doing a great job with your hair!! Keep up the good work!

Each time I shampoo my hair I get excited because it looks like I have about 2.5 inches to go before I reach my personal "stretch goal" (goal I set in the event that everything goes right and I make some good progress) and 1 inch before I reach APL...next relaxer will be in August!

It don't matter how long it took you; you are there!! and, it is beautiful!! keep up the good work :clap:

Well I jsut reached shoulder length again this year and now I'm wanting to aim for APL. I want to reach APL by April next year but I want to hang with you ladies for support until the end of this challenge if you don't mind.

Well I jsut reached shoulder length again this year and now I'm wanting to aim for APL. I want to reach APL by April next year but I want to hang with you ladies for support until the end of this challenge if you don't mind.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! Glad to have you here with us!!!

:wave: Hi Aggie, how are you liking your natural hair?

I know that I’m late (new to the thread) but I’d like to join in the challenge. I was at APL (uneven) 2 months ago but a scissors-happy stylist cut it (said I needed a trim) back to SL.

I'm currently transitioning. I have been in a sew-in for 2 months now. I spray my cornrows & leave-out with a jojoba oil-peppermint oil-aloe vera gel mix or Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14 N 1 daily. I seal my leave-on with BJCO or Olive oil. I also take triple fish oil pills, biotin, wheatgrass pills and garlic pills daily. I will take out my install this weekend and apply Cassia. I'll stay in a protective style (bun) until I get another install in two weeks.

What are you not going to do?

I will not cut/trim.

I will not give up.

What length are you now?

SL

Ay...pray for me people - I've decided to get my hair flat-ironed on Friday so that I can trim my own ends (with my Splitender and also to get those untouched ones with my good ol' fashioned scissors). I will update with a newer siggy pic. I won't forget :rolleyes:

I don't feel like my hair has made much progress. I've been in braids with extensions all year so I didn't post an update pic. I think I'm officially collar bone length, hopefully I
still on track for APL in December. I also have some heat damage that Im holding on to until I reach my goal.

okay ladies I took these pics yesterday. I really want to make APL by June which is my 2yr HHJ. I am not sure how many inches I have maybe 2 inches my measuring seems to be always off. I did not take pics with my measure shirt this time because sometimes it tricks me thinking I am closer to APL. :lachen:

what do you think?

2vmvp52.jpg

Back