APL by Dec 2010!!!

Hey ladies! It's good to see all this progress, it's really inspirational!!

I'm having PS problems too... I'm sooooo tired of the bun! So I've decided to wear my hair in low manipulation styles for the next week or so, just to give myself a break from the buns.

I hope we all continue to make progress into this next quarter of the challenge!

Yeah, see all those scraggly pieces? I wore buns so they were camouflaged, but It was pointless for me to hold on to them. At least now I can rock some bang styles. Maybe I will actually like them.

well they look cute like that:yep:

Count me in too!

What are you doing for growth?
Leaving my hair alone as much as possible. Continue with my all coconut routine, co-wash, and keep it bunned.

What are you not going to do?

Use heat, comb too much, cut or trim.

What length are you now?
I am right above APL, I have about 3" to go.

Attachments

• APLSOON.jpg
    APLSOON.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 26
I don't know if I'll make it either. I think I have low armpits. :sad: (Hey... if the tall people can whine, so can I.) :drunk:

I'm sticking with the challenge though. Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you're still among the stars. :grin:

Checking in. Obsessing over progress is driving me insane but i am happy to report that im almost out of the awkward stage and am satisfied with how my twists look now. I slipped back into daily manipulation on accident so i trimmed as i was doing my twists today. As far as length goes im at the tippy top of SL and i plan on protective styling and baggying my way to thick, healthy APL hair this December!

Hi LaidBak!

i'm so sorry to hear of your setbacks!
i remember that it's been difficult lately and greatly empathize with your hard water situation, being your hard water neighboor in nearby italy.
we have to be EXTRA GENTILE with the water over here or it just snaps our hair.

have you tried dc'ing on dry hair? i've been doing that overnight, then co washing it out the next day and it seems to be helping. i'm using AO HSR alot because it has no cones and i've discovered that with our hard water situation already making things difficult in terms of breakage, cones only make that problem worse.

however, that said, i really commend and admire your tenacity!
you are an inspiration!
and by the way, i LOVE your new bangs!
very, very pretty!

Aww--thanks!! Yeah this hard water is no joke. But I always tell myself its just hair and it will grow back. At least now I am armed with the knowledge of how to deal with it. Had I not discovered LHCF I'd probably be bald right now.

As for the bangs, So far I've just kept them brushed back because I am bunning. I want to DC on dry hair, but I won't get the chance for a while. I will be in Switzerland for a few weeks away from my stash and my hair tools. I ordered a lace front and I am hoping it gets here in time. I will probably twist my hair up and just rock the LF until I get back home.

Hi LaidBak!

i'm so sorry to hear of your setbacks!
i remember that it's been difficult lately and greatly empathize with your hard water situation, being your hard water neighboor in nearby italy.
we have to be EXTRA GENTILE with the water over here or it just snaps our hair.

have you tried dc'ing on dry hair? i've been doing that overnight, then co washing it out the next day and it seems to be helping. i'm using AO HSR alot because it has no cones and i've discovered that with our hard water situation already making things difficult in terms of breakage, cones only make that problem worse.

however, that said, i really commend and admire your tenacity!
you are an inspiration!
and by the way, i LOVE your new bangs!
very, very pretty!

Hey...I didnt know I had signed up for this challenge until I saw my post...

I will post pics this weekend after my relaxer.

Great progress ladies!

Update: after a 16 week stretch I permed my hair Friday. I'm fairly pleased with the results. It is not the length that I wanted it to be, but it has grown atleast 1.5 inches.

Eta: Update is in siggy

Last edited:
Dang, everyone is just advancing....I hope to catch up w/ya'll. I just trimmed so I have a ways to go again. Great job everyone :)

My hair is broken at the back due to over stretched relaxers so now I have sparse hair and cant wear it down. Flat ironed last night for length check and it seems like I grew since February. I need a good 2-3 inches till I reach APL but in certain areas I need 6 inches :wallbash:. This is making me so sad, Im tempted to stick in some clip ins right now :nono:

My hair is broken at the back due to over stretched relaxers so now I have sparse hair and cant wear it down. Flat ironed last night for length check and it seems like I grew since February. I need a good 2-3 inches till I reach APL but in certain areas I need 6 inches :wallbash:. This is making me so sad, Im tempted to stick in some clip ins right now :nono:

aww dont worry, it will fill back in....dont beat urself up

I figured I would check in....its been a while. Not a whole lot going on just protective styling 99.9 % of the time. I decided not to flat iron again until June. I will post picture then :)

Baggying my twists was awesome. I've been playing in them all day because my hair is so soft. I may have to retwist this set with a little gel though because a lot of them are really loose and I need to start soaking my black rubber bands in oil if I'm going to keep using them on my twists/flat twists.

Mini update:

24903_1437873106190_1213870788_1296737_2941310_s.jpg

I'm almost there y'all!!! Hopefully I'll be there before the end of the summer.:grin:

Last edited:
Baggying is so good for my twists but it makes them come loose :(

I'm dying to take these twists down and wear a twist out before wash day on Sunday but I told myself I was going to PS 100% of the time for the rest of this year. Going from a twa to scraping APL in a little less than a year and a half is great progress and I want to achieve that by any means necessary.

Checking in. I am doing the routine deep conditioning, no direct heat, and protective styles when I can. Tonight when moisturizing I noticed that i can grab my ends while my arms are behind my back..whoo..getting there...I remember when I could not feel any hair with my fingertips..I cant wait to be APL again..I feel like a kid at christmas!!! Happy Growing Ladies!

checking in. pre-pooing with mane and tail, ors replenshing pack and avocado oil. about to shampoo with CON and do a quick protective style before bed.

on another note i'm in a state of disbelief. i was just about to pre-proo and decided to do a quick length shot pic. are my eyes deceiving me or am i, dare i say, in apl land? i couldn't even reach my hair in the back to do a proper length check a little while ago. i must have been measuring incorrectly. anyways, i don't know if i should be claiming apl. i think i'll wait until the summer. the pic on the left is a pic from january (i'm holding my hair like that because i couldn't reach it to pull it down) and one that i just took.

eta: the one i just took is on the right. note, although my hair is braided in the pic on the left, i wasn't able to pull my hair down even in february when my hair was in a twist out. i dunno :/

Attachments

• 100_1524.jpg
    100_1524.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_1590.jpg
    100_1590.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
ok ladies, just 2 and a half weeks to go then i can finally touch up the jungle!

I CANNOT WAIT! although, were it not for some important dates in may and june, i would probably continue stretching, because i'm liking it! (i'm almost 14 weeks post)

LovelyNaps26: CLAIM IT! THAT IS GREAT PROGRESS!i hope to see progress like that when i've finish my perm!
right now i'm really trying to stay away from mini length checks because my shrinkage deceives me and also because, i'd like to be pleasantly surprised in may when i perm.

there's been alot said on WHEN to claim apl, but for me, even if my longest layer is barely grazing apl, i think i'm gonna have to calim it.

by the time my bangs get there, i might be wl in the back, and i don't even think i want bangs that are super long, so why wait for them, just to calim apl?

I am rocking cornrows for the next 3-4 weeks. I'm 18 weeks post and the new growth was getting too thick for my weekly rollersets.

I still plan to wash my hair 1x week with rinseless shampoo...and I spray every other day with a mix if braid spray and Infusium 23.

My first set of twists only stayed in for 4 days. I'm tweaking my products to see what can help them last an entire week and so far twisting with Murray's Loc Gel is a winner. It has oil in it plus I moisturized before airdrying so now I don't have to spritz with my leave-in concoction everyday. If my leave gets approved then i'll be home when i do my 1 year length check so i'm gonna go crazy buying all the hair stuff I can't get here lol.

My hair will be braided/twisted up for the duration of the summer...starting now.

I'm currently wearing kinky twists that should last until June. I will take a 2 week break and then do another set of kinky twists. Hopefully that will help aid in my retention.

ok ladies, just 2 and a half weeks to go then i can finally touch up the jungle!

I CANNOT WAIT! although, were it not for some important dates in may and june, i would probably continue stretching, because i'm liking it! (i'm almost 14 weeks post)

LovelyNaps26: CLAIM IT! THAT IS GREAT PROGRESS!i hope to see progress like that when i've finish my perm!
right now i'm really trying to stay away from mini length checks because my shrinkage deceives me and also because, i'd like to be pleasantly surprised in may when i perm.

there's been alot said on WHEN to claim apl, but for me, even if my longest layer is barely grazing apl, i think i'm gonna have to calim it.

by the time my bangs get there, i might be wl in the back, and i don't even think i want bangs that are super long, so why wait for them, just to calim apl?

Thanks, girl. i'm claiming APL in my heart (:drunk:) but waiting 'til the summer to put it in my siggy. i really think a growth spurt happened because until february i was just hoping to get to apl by december. i think my lazy, wash every 2 weeks-daily moisturize-keep in 2 strand twists routine might have actually helped. if the last 3 months weren't a fluke i might have to peek in on the BSL in 2010 thread come the summer. :rolleyes:

Congrats on all the progress ladies!! I'm really hoping to make it in June when I take out my weave. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I do have one concern -- the last time I washed my hair before getting the weave installed, I was so tired, I rushed through detangling and ripped a lot of hair out (ripped -- I could hear it), and I'm not really sure what the full reprocussions of that will be. I plan to buy some detangling conditioner and a Ouidad detangling comb for the future.

Right now, I'm 14 weeks post. So, I'll be about 22 when I take the weave out.

looking good ladies... I'm back to bunning to try to keep my retention up... I know my hair is growing but honestly whenever I look at it I feel like it's in the same place it's always been!!

I'm sooo hoping for a summer spurt!!!

Back