APL by Dec 2010!!!

Not really loving how I look with two strands, so now I'm flat twisting the front and doing some sort of 'out' style in the back. Today was supposed to be a bantu knot out but it was an epic failure because it didn't dry all the way and I'm not a huge fan of spending hours under the dryer, so I'm gonna braid or twist and then bantu knot the braids/twists from now on. I have my hair in a lil puff and it's cute :) I can't wait til I can do a huge ponypuff though, I miss it.

I have been wearing wash and go pony puffs until this morning....I did a wash and go w/o putting it in apony. Well as i was cowashing i felt something keep hitting nyck. I realized it was my hair. DUH. So I pulled a curl or two down to find my hair reaches my shoulders. Not full SL but I can reach it with room to spare. APL may be reachable by Dec 2010 after all. Man I was doing the serious happy dance:trampolin :happydance::creatures:lots:

I haven't been co-washing and DC as much as I should.:sad: I baggied with an MTG mix last night and I'm thinking about making a Megatek mix to use tonight. I think I will alternate between these 2 mixes and see if I get some results.

Honestly I need to celebrate the good more.

Took down my weave at the end of January and I am now full shoulder length!!! :yay:

I do not know why it has taken me a month to update that. Maybe I didn't believe it myself and was nervous :lol:

Hopefully will make it to full APL by Dec 2010...

Anyone made it from Shoulder to APL in 10 months????

I am breaking down and relaxing today. Hopefully I will be full shoulder length. I have noticed lots of growth, but a recent dominican blowout has my hair dry and breaking. :(

After my relaxer I plan on returning to bunning. Hopefully I will post pics on Friday! :)

Still dealing with a little breakage. It's decreased dramatically. I think what caused it was switching from no lye to lye and underprocessing. I'm just keeping my hair moist, deep conditioned and off my shoulders in the meantime. I'm nearing 8 weeks post so the new growth is starting to make its presence known. I have been again toying with the idea of going natural, something I want to eventually do anyway, so when I hit the six month mark, I'll either start transitioning, relax or continue to stretch for more growth. We'll see what happens.

Just relaxed my hair on monday... have some growth, but also lots of breakage, which unfortunatly was due from the streaching for ten weeks, I saw more breakage at my crown in two weeks then i did in two months.

Still dealing with a little breakage. It's decreased dramatically. I think what caused it was switching from no lye to lye and underprocessing. I'm just keeping my hair moist, deep conditioned and off my shoulders in the meantime. I'm nearing 8 weeks post so the new growth is starting to make its presence known. I have been again toying with the idea of going natural, something I want to eventually do anyway, so when I hit the six month mark, I'll either start transitioning, relax or continue to stretch for more growth. We'll see what happens.

do you think the breakage is coming from the switch or the underprocessed areas? Just asking because I plan on switching to lye my next relaxer and am weighing my options pro's against cons. What relaxer did you use as well? thanks!

I'm still hoping to make this goal, I've now been scissor free for 8 month :yay: at shoulder now and in a weave trying to see if I can leave the weave in at least 6 weeks, I can already see quite a bit of new growth (after 3 weeks).

On a very low mani reggie, I wash and DC twice a month (the whole head) but only wash and DC the left out hair once a week. I also use Doogro oil and my MT/OCT spray about twice a week and that's it.

Last edited:
Hi! everybody, just checking in I am trying to strectch my co-washes to once a week, not doing so well. it's like I got ocd I need to was after every 3days or my head looks and feel like the blob! I am cont. my two -strand twist, buns, and know bantu knots. I can really see the difference in my two textures of hair. my new growth is so thick and luscious and my relaxed ends are so thin and stringy but I am not ready to get rid of them yet:ohwell:.

I have been wearing wash and go pony puffs until this morning....I did a wash and go w/o putting it in apony. Well as i was cowashing i felt something keep hitting nyck. I realized it was my hair. DUH. So I pulled a curl or two down to find my hair reaches my shoulders. Not full SL but I can reach it with room to spare. APL may be reachable by Dec 2010 after all. Man I was doing the serious happy dance:trampolin :happydance::creatures:lots:

:woot: Good job!!!

do you think the breakage is coming from the switch or the underprocessed areas? Just asking because I plan on switching to lye my next relaxer and am weighing my options pro's against cons. What relaxer did you use as well? thanks!

I think the breakage and abnormal shedding came mostly from the switch from Phyto no lye (which dried out my hair) to Alter Ego Linange lye. Shortly after my last touch up for the first time with lye after using no lye, I started to shed more than usual and my hair was breaking.

I am a long term stretcher, so I'm used to dealing with more than one texture. I made it almost 6 months the last time with no breakage. The under processed areas I can correct and deal with, but I think the switch to lye was especially stressful for my fine, fragile hair.

Here's a link to the thread I posted in when I noticed these problems. Some people have been able to switch back and forth from no lye to lye or vice versa seemlessly, but others have experienced the same problems I am experiencing now. And for the record, I do like Alter Ego Linange lye relaxer. :yep:

Hi all!

It's been a while since I was last on the forum. I have really been slacking on my weekly hair care routine. I haven't been DC at all and barely co-wash either and my hair hates me for it. I did make my personal four month post-relaxer stretch (since Feb 15) and reluctantly am making my way to five months. My hair has grown a lot but I'm still having breakage problems.
I'm going to attempt to texlax my hair in sections over the weekend. I finally decided that I do not want to go back to natural (having to deal with four months of new growth is killing me) but I like my hair curly so I don't want bone-straight either.
Will post pictures come the end of March. :)

it is definitely time for a hardcore protein treatment, too many broken hairs around my keyboard from last night's detangling session. Ugh, I've got about 5 more days left in my current style and it's killing me lol. I haven't worn week long protective styles in 2 years so I have to get used to it again.

Been doing a lot of wet bunning and also cowashing much more than usual, mostly for the convenience. I ran some Seyani Hair Butter through my dry hair earlier. I need to shampoo and DC this week.

Hi All,

I guess it's time for me to check in. I've been wearing my box braids since Jan. 1 and have only redone them once in the beginning of Feb. (I wear wigs), so I hope to have a lot of new growth when I take my whole head down at the end of this month. Will post pics of my hair straightened in time for the quarterly progress pics at the end of the month. I think I'll let my hair rest for 1 week at a time for every 3 months my hair is braided.

I'm really trying not to cut my hair but I got scissor happy. When my hair was curly, I snipped quite a few straight ends on my right side. I flat ironed my whole head and my hair looks jacked up on that side. :ohwell::lachen:

Now I have the urge to "fix" the cut and even things out. I guess it really doesn't matter b/c I'm PS'ing anyway. ...And those heat damaged pieces have to go eventually. :perplexed:

Hello Ladies,

I've been doing well so far this year. I've been cowashing once a week with a DC, henna once a month, and protein as needed. I straighten my hair a few weeks ago, it was unplanned. I was using some curlformers and the curls died and I ended up flat ironing. Well I was full SL!!! Pics in my Fotki.

I did end up giving myself a much needed trim. My left nape was like a full 1.5-2inches longer than the other so I evened it up as best as possible. I also just dusted my ends to catch any SSKs or split ends. I think I can make APL by Sept which is my goal.

Tomorrow I'll be 10 weeks post. I'm shooting for 26 weeks. I'm going to start co-washing to see if that will help me deal with the new growth. I've tried co-washing before but didn't like it. But now it's do or die!! I must reach APL by the end of the year. So to combat the dryness and tangles I think co-washing may be the answer. I'm going to use V05 Moisture Milks (I think it's Passion Fruit). Wish me luck!!!

• What are you doing for growth
  • Braiding (Micros)
  • What are you not going to do
  • Being Impatient
  • What length are you now?
  • Grazing my shoulders

I left my MTG mix in my hotel room last week.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I'll have to wait until I get home and buy some MTG and make another mix. Or, I may just have to order some sulfur powder and make my own MTG concoction.:ohwell: I've been baggying overnight with a Megatek mix (scalp only) for the last few days and I really hope this works.

I have yet to check in with this challenge, and I don't remember what I originally said

I had a little bit of a set back, I think it was a result of too much heat, protein and manipulation. Flat iron requires too much manipulation too much effort, and takes a toll on the ends.

What I'm going to do for APL in Dec of this year is absolutely no heat, low manipulation, DC twice a week. Air drying in braids or in a wet wrap is helping tremendously. This is really working out for me, keeps the hair feeling more moisturize, heat tools really use to zap all the moisture out of my hair, even roller setting. Only time I'll use heat is when I'm doing one of the hardcore protein treatments.

Checking in.

I don't feel like I've made any progress since November when this thread began. However I haven't compared my hair. I'm waiting for the end of the month. So I'm anxious to see if the pictures will show something different.

I'm not sure if I'm going to hit APL by June like I planned. I am 12 weeks post and I barely have an inch of new growth. So it may take me till December. It doesn't help that I'm 5'10 either! Oh well, maybe APL will be a nice Christmas gift!

Back