APL by Dec 2010!!!

I relaxed yesterday after a 10 week stretch. I switched to a lye relaxer and I can tell a huge difference. I didn't realize the no lye dried my hair out so much. I'm about 2 inches to apl.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie!

What are you doing for growth?
Initial dusting, moisturizing (haven't perfected the mix I want), co-washing every other day, vitamin pack (E, pre-natal, Omega-3), plenty of water, little to no heat (only on special occasions), stretching at 12-16 week intervals.

What are you not going to do?
Fall back on bad hair practices.

What length are you now?
Shoulder length.

I can "feel" myself getting closer to APL. I just have to prepare for my next trim, and make sure it's really a dusting.

checking in, from my husbands measurements I am about 3.5inches away from apl in the back and 4inches in the front. my growth this month was 0.5in. hhg everyone

I day away from 3 months and my stretch will end this weekend. The DMV is going to get smacked by a winter storm, so instead of standing in line I headed to the BBS to pick up Mizani Butter Blends Mild, the Normalizing Conditioner, and Neutralizing Shampoo, base from a different brand, and I may take another shot at using application brushes. Feeling a length check coming on.

I prepooed with Aphogee 2 Min, then washed with Aussie Moist Shampoo and Conditioner on Wednesday...moisturized with Kids Organics Shea Butter lotion and sealed with Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil...

Last night, I DC'ed with ORS Replenishing/PC/ and castor oil...Major slip. Hair came out very moisturized. I put Salerm 21 in and sealed with the Herbal Oil.

took down my yarn braids after two weeks lol...im 14 weeks post now... I was thinking about transitioning... but idk :ohwell:

Things are going well here. I had the urge to cut off about 1" of hair last week, because I felt that I had a lot of split ends and thought that I should cut off more than I actually needed. The day I was going to make an appointment I examined my hair more closely and realized I didn't have as many splits as I originally thought.

I've unfortunately been slacking on my exercise regimen. I have been drinking more water daily and taking my vitamins though. I bought 3 different dance type workout dvds, so I am hoping it will keep me more interested. I plan on alternating and doing these 5 days a week until I improve my stamina for my Jillian Michaels dvds. I also plan on purchasing a stationary bike. I recently switched to Pantene Relaxed and Natural shampoo/conditioner due to price and availability. And I stopped using megatek. I couldn't keep a set schedule with it, so I'm keeping with my WGHO due to it helping more with my transition.

I'll be 8 months post in a couple of weeks and am happy with my progress. I almost thought my hair wasn't growing as much as it used to, but I realized I am making progress. I should definitely be APL by December if I keep it up. I still hope to make APL by June at my 1 year mark, so we will see.

Happy hair growing!:)

Keeping my hair braided up and ultra-moisturizair !!! I know for a fact the back of my head is going to hit APL before the top half of my hair....oh well...at least it is growing.

twist-outs, twist-outs, and more twist-outs.

I did a measurement the other day and figured I grow about .63 of an inch per month on avg (growth over an 8 month period was used). It ain't an inch per month, but I'll take it.

I'm trying a flexirod set tonight for the first time. The flexirods are so much easier to deal with than the magnetic rollers! I need to buy one more pack though. I ended up short.

I'm now sitting under my sixties era soft bonnet dryer. It seems to work well, but I did have problems getting all the flexirods underneath tbe bonnet!

WELCOME PRETTYONE23!!!! :welcome2: :newbie::welcome3:

i'm rather new to the board, too.....

i am soooo happy to report that when i measured my hair last week:

I'VE HAD AN INCH OF GROWTH IN JUST 3 WEEKS!!!!!!
:bounceline::headspin::yay::yay::trampolin:grin::yep:

i am sooooo grateful to this board for all of the things i have and am learning that got me there.....and that will be taking me to APL!!!!:grin::grin::grin:
(i think i actually might be able to get there before May!):yep::yep::yep:

now, i am faithfully dc'ing twice a week from now on!:worship2:

not to mention massaging my scalp daily, implementing vitamins, co-washing, healthy shake drinking, cayenne pepper using, jbco applications, acv rinsing, herbal tea applying just to mention a few of the things i've learned here from my lhcf "sisters" that i'm going to continue!:woohoo2:

A HUGE THANK YOU :thankyou::grouphug3: TO YOU ALL FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND IN SHARING THIS WONDERFUL JOURNEY WITH ME!!!:grin:

HHJ AND HHG LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!:yep:

Checking in ladies, ive been gone for a minute, I was really sick for a few weeks. My hair took a faill for it, but I am getting it back on track now. I washed and dc'd last night and I plan to do so again by Thursday. I've been faithfully rocking my lacefronts with my hair bunned underneath.. But i didnt detangle for like 3 weeks and i suffered badly..

I am late but I would like to get to APL by Dec 2010
* What are you doing for growth
-Protective styling, JBCO, and I am going to try a vitamin
* What are you not going to do
-go to a salon, overuse heat, neglect my scalp and ends
* What length are you now?
-I am between ear and neck length

I'm probably one of the worst participants of this challenge as far as checking in. I'm in box braids under my wigs, and I won't be posting any pics (actually my starting pic) until my 1 year anniversary in March. I may have posted this already, so sorry if I did. The last time I checked I needed 4 more inches to hit APL. Fingers crossed I'll make it sometime this summer. Will post pics next month.

Hi Ladies, I'm late and please count me in for this challenge

What are you doing for growth?
Bunning, Vitamins and Juicing Vegetables

What are you not going to do?
No heat and cutting

What length are you now?
A little past SL

checking in! been in kanekalon braids since 21st december, hoping to take them out last week of february. dc'd last weekend with the braids in and my NG felt so soft, i couldn't keep my hands out of them! i think i'll dc for the remaining two weekends before i take the braids out.

^^Top Notch, I love your layers! I want layers so badly bc my rollersets look boring with all of my hair the same lenght. I'm trying to hold out until I'm at least APL before getting any type of cut.

Ckecking in... weave is out and I did a trim like 3 days ago. I just couldn't stand the uneveness anymore. I am going to make a change to my regimen and see how it goes.

Check in..I bought a wig last week and said I was going to wig for the rest of Feb. but since I have barely left the house because of snow I have just had my hair in double strand twists since Sun. Did a hot oil treatment on dry hair with EVOO, rinsed, and used Kenra as MC. I plan to wear these until Sun. and then try a rollerset and bun.

I cannot keep my hands out of my hair no matter what style it is in! I'm worried this is going to be what might keep me from apl...sigh.

Mdmommy99, i KNOW HOW U FEEL!!!

i'm the same way....just have a hard time keeping my hands outta my hair now that i'm taking such good care of it...plus, it's so much softer when i'm doing what's right for it and i justify my constant "hands in the head" thing as "checking to make sure it's still soft and not brittle"....somewhat true.

what i'm doing for growth my mega tek just arrived and i tried it last night.....to early to tell, but i like the feel! (and smell!)
i'm also participating in other challenges to "keep track" of other new practices that i'm doing (like cayenne pepper, castor oil, scalp massaging, co washing, and inch of growth a month, drink your way to waistlength hair, etc....)
i'm taking vitamins& things like: spirulina, biotin, horsetail extract, aloe vera juice, acai and papaya extract, biological molasses and acv, flaxseed oil, hemp oil (in my fresh fruit and veggie juicing)
i'm going learn to like ps's!

what are you not going to do since nov 17th, 2009, i have sworn off ALL HEAT (no blowdryer, no flat iron, no hot curlers, no curling irons, etc...)
i'm not going to trim....just dust

what length are you now: i'm shoulder length and hubby's measurements from the back of my head set me at my longest layer being 1 and 1/8th inch to APL!!!

Back