Anyone NOT follow "the rules"...

If a man is into you he will show it, if he wants you, he will show it, no need for a bunch of game playing to get him.

I had my own rules. I called guys for dates, I paid for dates (imo since I asked I pay) I let it all hang out...if I felt like it. If I didn't like a guy he knew it, and if I did, he knew it.

"The Rules" don't work longterm...thats some hellafied game playing right there!

And didn't one of those chicks recently divorce??

Do you Jewell, you'll be fine. :yep:

-A

I didn't realized this. So I went and looked it up. It's true :nono:. Damn, it didn't work for her did it. I really like the rules though. They helps me understand the opposite sex better. I became aware of things that I should have known/been taught years ago. So now I see that they are not perfect -- the author's divorce, but they are quite useful. I'll keep them as a guide :yep:.

Why we all want a happy ending

When Ellen Fein wrote The Rules, telling single women how to capture Mr Right, millions rushed to give them a go. Now that their author is facing divorce, it's tempting to mock - but the reasons for the book's success remain as real as ever

Katie Roiphe guardian.co.uk, Tuesday March 27 2001 11.21 BST The Guardian, Tuesday March 27 2001 Article history

One can't help noticing the exquisite irony that Ellen Fein, co-author of The Rules: Time-tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr Right, The Rules II and the forthcoming Rules III: Time-tested Secrets for Making your Marriage Work, is getting divorced. And one can't help feeling a certain satisfaction that someone who told millions of women the best way to marital bliss is not to talk much on dates may be reconsidering her position.

Fein made the announcement on the eve of publication of her latest book, which claims that "it is easier to stay married than get married". She and her co-author, Sherrie Schneider, suggest that women should defer to their husbands, and recommend that they grow their hair, as men find long hair more attractive.

The 43-year-old had been married to pharmacist Paul Feingertz for 16 years and, along with Schneider, constantly referred to her own marital success when promoting her books. So what went wrong? Did Fein fail to read between her own lines?

It's too easy to dismiss The Rules, to mock them for their earnestness and deplore them for their sexist, condescending attitude towards women. Because this silly paper-back, with pink ribbons all over its cover, obviously captured the imagination of millions of women all over the world. Five years after it first came out, I have noticed The Rules on all sorts of intelligent people's bookshelves, tucked away between The Brothers Karamazov and Zadie Smith. I have noticed smart women buying it and following its ethos.

More than that, I have noticed the spirit of The Rules entering into people's conversations about relationships in a more diffuse way. I have heard educated, liberal women talking about how long to wait before calling a man back, or whether the date should be in her neighbourhood, or how long to wait until sleeping with him, as if there is some secret formula, some mathematical principle to romantic happiness that she has yet to divine.

I have also heard professionally aggressive, ambitious women worry about seeming too aggressive in their romantic lives if they call a man first. It is strange that the 50s courtship rituals our mothers fought so hard to get away from should come to be so appealing, so necessary, to a new generation. But it seems that The Rules tapped into a larger anxiety in the culture; in their simplistic, jingoistic way, they expressed a need, a yearning, a worry about old-fashioned courtship that is worth taking into account.

One of the reasons The Rules has been so successful is that a whole generation of women is marrying later. It has become socially acceptable and entirely common for a woman to spend her 20s focusing on her career and hanging around with her friends and running around with different men. But then, at a certain point, in her early 30s, comes a fear that she will live her entire life like a character trapped in Sex and the City, sipping cosmopolitans at a bar in Manolo Blahniks when she is in her 50s.

She has established her professional life, she has had lots of relationships with men, but marriage itself has come to seem elusive and alien - and she begins to ask herself, how do you get there again? How did I get off track? All the freedom and feminism and sweet drinks and promotions don't hold the answer. And suddenly the comically old-fashioned way of doing things, with dates and flowers and rings, starts to seem more desirable.

Buried in The Rules is the faintest hint of a Jane Austen plot: the man who pursues and the woman who is pursued, the unspoken, delicate, romantic game that unfolds between them. What The Rules offers, in its clumsy, excruciating way, is a path back to that mystery, that loveliness and ease. It promises women not just that they will get married, but that they will be in the traditional position of being chased.

Why should women who are aggressive and ambitious in every other area of life want that so much? Why should they want the traditional feeling of being sought after? Why should they want to surrender control?

The truth is that all the equality we have and require in the workplace is not necessarily what we want in our romantic lives. The journalist who calls strangers all day long for a living may wait for a man to call her for dinner. The woman who is an aggressive lawyer at the office may not want to feel aggressive in her personal life; she may want to feel feminine, taken care of. She may want to give up control because it is pleasurable; it is fun to play that game for an evening, for a week.

With all of its absurd rigidity, its humourless desperation, The Rules offers women old-fashioned roles to play with. To have your dinner paid for, even though you could pay for it yourself. To let him choose the place. To surrender control in just this one area of your life for just this short period of time, even though you are perfectly capable of taking care of yourself.

The Rules taps into the stories we were told as children, the fairy tales and knights, the Mr Darcys and Heathcliffs. It whispers of happy endings that have begun to seem arduous and complicated and out of reach. It may be that these retrograde fantasies still exist because the women's movement hasn't cleared them away; or it may be that they will always exist.

Is the idea of a man paying for dinner so appealing because we know we can take care of ourselves? Or are we still insecure about our independence?

The truth is that there is something infinitely reassuring to everyone about men pursuing and women being pursued. For women, I think it is not so much about "capturing Mr Right" as about capturing an image of ourselves that we find appealing. Maybe we shouldn't find it appealing, in this new millennium, but we do.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2008

Last edited:
I was also wondering 'what are the rules'?

I'm like you. I just do me and do what I feel is best, and it's working fine for me. :grin:

The Rules is a book that takes "dating" back to the days of "courting" but is really about establishing boundaries and ADHERING to them. Amazon.com

At the basic core, it's helping women (hopefully) understand why they were unfulfilled or left wanting more in past relationships and how they can correct it, going forward, ultimately by being pursued.

Good for some. Not so good for others.

My dating mantra is pretty simple: you see what I'm doing for myself. Contribute or kick rocks. I've learned that the one place where the mantra of "treating others how you want to be treated" does not work IS dating. I treat myself how I want to be treated. Step up or move out the way.

OMG, I was just thinking this yesterday as I started to read The Rules for the first time. Naturally I am a caring, attentive, and giving person. I am not me if I am the opposite just to "get a man". Being me has gotten me in very loving and lengthly relationships sooooooo I must be doing something right. I would probably still be in any of my past relationships had I not dumped them. :lachen:

Now I believe that reading The Rules does help you not give too much of yourself too soon or to over do it. Everyone loves a challenge so it is kinda important to not be so giving and available but I like being myself. If I am not me, I will always wonder what if...

Ever since I read Calling in the One I threw most of those rules books away!
Calling in the One talks about who You are and what You want and how to write your own rules if you want to. It talks about why you are who you are and allows everyone (including yourself) to be totally free and totally yourself.

If I ever gave too much of myself to men in my life it was more about building that inner strength instead of following a set of rules that only change things on the surface anyway. I needed to rebuild myself from the inside out. It's been a wonderful journey... :)

Jewelle, you are one of the nicest people here and one of the prettiest too! I just know in my gut that there are lots of men checking you out daily :grin: It only takes one good man to come into your life...the lucky guy will be there in no time, I'm sure!!

You are so sweet FlowerHair :kiss: Guys do check me out, especially at work but none are my type :nono: I have been meeting a few that are maybes but I find that I try to take so many things into consideration when we interact that I get confused and do not act like myself. I worry about being too agressive or too laid back at the wrong times and some of the things I say come out all wrong because I am overanalyzing myself. :sad:

I am going to check out that book, sounds more like my speed :)

I never read the book so I can't speak on it, but I realized earlier this year that I need to write my own RULES. Bump what somebody else thinks because only I know what my boundaries are and what I need to be willing to accept.

I read a book entitled The Ten Commandments of Dating which is by far one of the best dating books I have ever laid eyes on. It talked about general things like not ignoring red flags, not trying to change men, etc, but it put tremendous emphasis on deciding what is important and what is right for YOU. It pointed out that only YOU can do that with introspection and time alone to figure out what you want and need in a meaningful relationship/marriage.

Since then, I've been working on my own rules. They have more to do with me than with the man...and from what I know of the rules, too much emphasis is placed on him. I like The Technique of the Love Affair, and in hindsight, I think I like it because there was empahsis placed on controlling YOURSELF and not getting ahead of yourself which is what I needed at the time.

I think with enough time spent wisely, any woman can write her own rules that are right for her. I don't think a pair of women can write universal dating rules that are even halfway effective for the infinite combinations of circumstances and peculiar people that may be in a dating situation.

It kind of reminds me of Glib's thread about "clear" girls...some of the ladies in that thread made a point about women not having more options for various reasons such as being too picky, not dating outside of race, etc. But I definitely think that some of us are in our own heads entirely too much when ultimately there needs to be a healthy balance of head and heart in romantic dealings.

This is great DI! I am def in my head too much, I just have to be myself :)

I was a Rules girl by birth so not overcompensating was just "me" b/c I always thought I was the shyt and if you wanted to share my world then you were going to have to all but fight a lion to get w/me. I think if you are a rules girl by nature then cool, but if you have to be hard pressed, siking yourself out just to play a long then it's best that you be yourself. I was using the Rules when I met SO but I didn't know what the rules were at the time. After 3 months of dating all the rules were out the window. Even now, if he doesn't call me, I'll call him. :look: I call him when I choose, I talk his head off at times. Even when he calls to ask a simple question, I throw in extra sentences to prolonge the conversation. I don't always dress up to impress him and all of that either. He just gave me a foot massage the other day and I had chipped toe nail polish. :lachen:

Do u think that the rules helped in the beginning to get the relationship going?

games just instigate drama and misunderstandings, i say go with the flow and be yourself.... Bumping for more stories!

Last edited:
Do u think that the rules helped in the beginning to get the relationship going?

They most certainly did. My SO is no easy win and had I been the girl pursuing him we would have never made it. When I looked at the girls who didn't make the cut I was like wow I'm glad I didn't want you when I met you. :lachen:

I'm his 1st adult love and he told me once that the more I would resist the harder he would fall and that I had already had him for a lifetime after two months but I just didn't know it yet.

Back then I didn't know what the "Rules" were, I had already had a relationship where I had put myself out there all hard and was doing too much and that crap ploop, plopped, bam, blew up in smoke. After that I was good on doods and weren't taken them serious for real.

SO use to ask me to show him affection in the beginning. Even when I finally committed he would send me text and say, "the next time we are together can you act like you are in to me". I was just not ready to be that girl yet which in short is how the rules are played I guess. When he finally broke me down guess what? He broke up with me. :lachen::lachen:

He claimed that he thought he would always be chasing me and that I lost value when I started to be that needy **** :lachen::lachen:
I was like I knew this would happen, he was just sprung off of that challenge :rolleyes:

Two months lata we got back together and I was confused as to wether which role to play...that became exhausting.

Now all rules, games and strategies are out the window...whew glad to be at happy!

They most certainly did. My SO is no easy win and had I been the girl pursuing him we would have never made it. When I looked at the girls who didn't make the cut I was like wow I'm glad I didn't want you when I met you. :lachen:

I'm his 1st adult love and he told me once that the more I would resist the harder he would fall and that I had already had him for a lifetime after two months but I just didn't know it yet.

Back then I didn't know what the "Rules" were, I had already had a relationship where I had put myself out there all hard and was doing too much and that crap ploop, plopped, bam, blew up in smoke. After that I was good on doods and weren't taken them serious for real.

SO use to ask me to show him affection in the beginning. Even when I finally committed he would send me text and say, "the next time we are together can you act like you are in to me". I was just not ready to be that girl yet which in short is how the rules are played I guess. When he finally broke me down guess what? He broke up with me. :lachen::lachen:

He claimed that he thought he would always be chasing me and that I lost value when I started to be that needy **** :lachen::lachen:
I was like I knew this would happen, he was just sprung off of that challenge :rolleyes:

Two months lata we got back together and I was confused as to wether which role to play...that became exhausting.

Now all rules, games and strategies are out the window...whew glad to be at happy!

aawwww, cute story :)

So he didn't really like the rules :lol:

But were you really following the rules if you were just being yourself?

Back